PDA

View Full Version : SHTP 2021 - From the Race Deck

brianb
01-23-2021, 10:24 PM
Hello All,

I have opened this thread because I can't seem to find how to open a new topic on the MAIN page. A quick update. We are planning the race but COVID is of course complicating the situation. We will make a final call on the race on March 15 th. The usual events that happen at the start line, and the finish will be modulated by COVID. If we are lucky everyone will be vaccinated and we can have a normal start, finish, and celebrations at both ends. A big question for all those seriously considering the race is as follows: If Kauai's "Resort specific bubble" is still in place, and they can't assure it will be lifted by June 19th, the start date, would we get sufficient participation to make the race viable ? If you are planning to do the event would you still have an interest if your friends and loved ones would have to spend 10 days in a designated resort prior to being allowed general island access. It is not clear there is a resort in Hanalei that even meets the criteria as a Resort bubble.

The race rules, sailing instructions, and equipment requirements will be out within a few days. Additionally the registration will be opened. We will need to get a head count to get this rolling. Items with long lead times, like swag, and reservations on the island need to be made soon and the head count will drive th e costs of those items. Swag may be handled differently this season. We may choose to deliver it post race so that we don't commit to a lot of materials and then find the entry pool is quite low.

If you are doing the race, but COVID restrictions will be a no go for you and family, your opinion will be appreciated. One solution to a real small turnout could be a very light RC in Kauai, or no RC with self finishing and trackers to confirm finishing. Of course this would mean swimming ashore, climbing the bluffs to the Princeville Resort, and recording your finish with the front desk, just as was done in the first event :).

Regards,

Brian Boschma
Committee: Jackie Philpott, Greg Ashby, Mike Cunningham, Brian Boschma

AlanH
01-23-2021, 11:26 PM
I'm in. If there is any race at all, I will do it. I'm 98% sure that Joan will not want to fly to Kauai and be limited to a resort room for 10 days. I have no problem with arriving in Hanalei Bay and my "finish" time is when I walk onto the veranda at the Tahiti Nui, or wherever.

If Kauai is still very restrictive but other islands are significantly more open, I am in favor of considering another finishing line. Hilo would be a good option. The harbor is large and there are several anchorages. There's a canoe club with beach access for landing dinghies and an open, grassy area for an outdoor awards party; actually there are three canoe clubs in the area. The Hilo airport is about 5 blocks from the beach, there are hotels and restaurants and so on. AZsailor is currently anchored in Hilo and can supply lots of information. I've posted a thread with another alternative finishing port, if Hanalei is so restrictive that we really can't go there.

That said, I'd REALLY rather go to Hanalei, but if it was "go somewhere else, or no race at all", then I'd go somewhere else in Hawaii and be happy I got to race at all.

EDIT: I asked Joan and she will not go if there's a 10-Day quarantine. If there's something in place where she can take a COVID test within 24 hours of her departure, quarantine for 3 days, take another test and assuming it's negative, she's free to roam around, she'd think about it.

AlanH
01-23-2021, 11:36 PM
The other option I looked at was Hale' iwa, which is on the north shore of Oahu, opposite Honolulu and about an hours drive along the coast. It's pretty small, there aren't a lot of restaurants or places to stay but there are a few.

https://haleiwatown.com/haleiwa_attractions.php

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dobor/haleiwa-harbor/

Bhuff
01-25-2021, 10:29 PM
As long as racers are welcomed in Kauai, I'm excited to race this year. If Kauai is still struggling with Covid and has resort bubbles, I might proceed to Oahu to meet my family and ship my boat home from there.
I'm glad SSS is monitoring the Covid situation and considering alternatives. Finishing on Oahu is fine with me and might make shipping gear to Hawaii easier and along with shipping boats home, not to mention provisioning for return trips as well as meeting families in Hawaii. (Transpac finishers will arrive in Honolulu late July). Would it make sense to postpone the SHTP start until July to give the world more time to recover?
At this point, speaking only for myself, I can live without the swag, trophies, festivities, etc this year if that makes things easier for the volunteers. I just want to race to Hawaii with this group. Perhaps the trophy dinner could be done on the mainland when gatherings are allowed again?
Thank you for inviting input. I'll sign up as soon as registrations open.

JimQuanci
01-26-2021, 03:01 PM
If its a 10 day quarantine... I would probably take a pass. But I really really believe it will not be a 10 day quarantine come July (and likely not within the next month or two). The current "negative test within 72 hours" the rest of Hawaii has is just fine... if Kawaii moves to that, its a "go" (IMO). I really really believe that by June over half the population of the US and Hawaii will have been vaccinated and all the limitations in day to day life will have faded (yes we may still have masks and still not hugging... but travel and "not overly dense" get togethers will be happening. And I really really want to go this summer... to much time on land is "getting to me". I need a break on the water!

JimQuanci
01-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Oh... I would be just fine with a bare bones finishing line (self service) and de minimus events. Sure if there is only 10-12 entrants, we'll be fine (more up close and personal).

AZ Sailor
01-26-2021, 09:21 PM
Oh... I would be just fine with a bare bones finishing line (self service) and de minimus events. Sure if there is only 10-12 entrants, we'll be fine (more up close and personal).

Greetings from Hilo. From my perspective here I think Jim is right, and that Kauai will be in sync with the travel program the rest of the state is using by then. And, FWIW, if the race runs this year, Morning Star will be on station for taking finishes, providing water taxi service, and anything else RC wants from us. Sailing there from here reduces a lot of the challenges.

NearMiss
01-27-2021, 02:32 PM
I am still interested and planning on doing the race. I still have a few issues to work out, mostly dealing with the rudder loads. I have a new rudder with more balance area ready and which hopefully will be installed in a few weeks. But Covid is still causing problems with getting parts and getting projects done.
If arrival in Kauai is an issue, I would be up for another destination. Perhaps a finish in Hilo and then a fun rally race to Oahu with a stop over in Maui. However as a newbie to the race, Kauai being the traditional finish would be preferred.

Don

brianb
01-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Greetings from Hilo. From my perspective here I think Jim is right, and that Kauai will be in sync with the travel program the rest of the state is using by then. And, FWIW, if the race runs this year, Morning Star will be on station for taking finishes, providing water taxi service, and anything else RC wants from us. Sailing there from here reduces a lot of the challenges.

Wow Lee what a great offer !! Looking forward to having you on the team. Regards,
Brian

brianb
01-29-2021, 11:18 AM
Hi Lee,

What a great offer. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Brian

brianb
02-07-2021, 12:05 PM
The SI's, and SER's are now posted on the Jibeset site. Look under "notices" if you don't see an explicit label. The regatta registration will go live today or tomorrow.
Regards,
Brian

brianb
02-08-2021, 10:05 AM
SHTP 2021 Registration is now open ! Additional documents are online as well (SI / SER ) .

Brian

Rainbow
02-10-2021, 01:08 AM
SHTP 2021 Registration is now open ! Additional documents are online as well (SI / SER ) .

Brian

I'm definitely interested in racing, hopefully to Hanalei. If still in place, does it appear the "resort bubbles" thing would apply to the racers, or just to family/friends flying in?

Also, any thoughts on whether a current on-line Offshore Safety at Sea course meets 4.3.1 of the Race Safety Requirements?? Not sure we could attend an in person seminar before June 19.

Cliff Shaw
Rainbow

brianb
02-10-2021, 08:44 AM
I'm definitely interested in racing, hopefully to Hanalei. If still in place, does it appear the "resort bubbles" thing would apply to the racers, or just to family/friends flying in?

Also, any thoughts on whether a current on-line Offshore Safety at Sea course meets 4.3.1 of the Race Safety Requirements?? Not sure we could attend an in person seminar before June 19.

Cliff Shaw
Rainbow

Hi Cliff, Do you have a link to the seminar. There is a good chance it would count. Brian

Rainbow
02-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Hi Cliff, Do you have a link to the seminar. There is a good chance it would count. Brian

Brian: Here's the link to US Sailing's on line courses. I have a certificate for the full 15 units, plus the textbook. Cliff

https://shop.ussailing.org/education/safety-at-sea/

Philpott
02-10-2021, 06:48 PM
I'm definitely interested in racing ... Cliff Shaw Rainbow

What a relief! There will be a mothership.

brianb
02-14-2021, 08:51 AM
Shipping trailers to Kauai and shipping a boat home may be delayed from what is possible in a typical season. Far fewer ships are sailing to Hawaii as the need for goods is greatly diminished with the reduced guests visiting the State. Those of you with boats to be shipped should contact Matson soon to see what the shipping schedules are likely to be. Also the shipment of a trailer to Kauai maybe slower due to the same reason.

Larry Conklin, Island Cranes, islcr@hawaii.rr.com , is working with Matson to get an understanding of what this might mean for his operation for lifting boats onto their trailers. Contact Larry if you have plans to ship a trailer and boat.

Brian

everydaysailor
02-17-2021, 03:29 PM
I would be fine forgoing awards/water taxis etc. but quarantine could be a deal killer.
Moreover, without both shots I'm reluctant to fly back and the little Express is a tough return- plus the wife smartly says no return! I do like bhuff's/buffalo's option of heading to Oahu to load out and or meet family as I know the drill and it's less restrictive.

In the end I'm not up very high on the vaccine list but am still hopeful and boat prep and training will continue.
Cjordan

brianb
02-22-2021, 11:05 AM
News on Hawaii Travel - likely scenario - obtain Hawaii Travel Passport for intra islands travel:

My guess if all racers can get this new "Passport" as well as all travelers there will be no issues. It is supposed to go live about Mar 1.

https://beatofhawaii.com/guide-to-vaccination-passports-for-hawaii-travel/

AlanH
02-23-2021, 12:23 PM
From another article on that website...

https://beatofhawaii.com/kauai-go-it-alone-resort-bubble-approved-next-proposal-announced/

The first current option to going to Kauai is a preposterously expensive ten-day quarantine at a number of resorts. So not only do you waste ten days on Kauai sitting in your condo, but the least expensive place is $143 a night, so goodbye to $1430 plus guesstimating about $40 a day for meals, call it $1800.

Here's the other option, C&P'd from that website.

====

Alternative to Kauai resort bubbles.

If you stay 3 nights on another Hawaiian island first, then test after 72 hours, and subsequently come to Kauai with a negative result, you will not be subject to any quarantine. To qualify, visitors must be “Be physically present in the State of Hawai‘i for more than 72 hours before flying to Kauai to qualify as an inter-island traveler.”

Furthermore, you must prove a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of interisland travel to Lihue. And to reiterate, that test needs to be taken after 72 hours on another island. These test results need to be uploaded to the state’s Safe Travels website/program.

This option does provide a good alternative for travelers who, for example, spend 3+ nights on Oahu, Maui, or Big Island, before coming to Kauai. However, you cannot fly directly to Kauai from the mainland and participate in this program.

As with the Kauai resort bubbles, availability and the timing of testing on another island is something that needs to be determined well in advance to avoid complications.

============

So you get a negative COVID test within 72 hours before you leave. You fly to Honolulu and stay for 3 days. On Day 3 you take a COVID test, which should come back negative. Turn-around time for the tests is usually 24 hours so either late in the day on the 4th day or early morning on the 5th day you fly to Kauai. It's a PITA but it's a lot better than a mandatory 10 day quarantine.

JimQuanci
02-24-2021, 04:08 PM
I am wagering all this quarantine stuff is going to disappear in the next 4 to 6 weeks... as all the older folks and at risk folks are vaccinated (most folks I know that are in these categories are vaccinated already)... hospitalization numbers are already dropping like a rock... and the Hawaiians who have been struggling financially with no tourism so are soon to say "enough already". Sure looking like by race day, almost everyone in the US who wants to be vaccinated will be vaccinated.... J&J pumping out 4 million "one shot and done" vaccines next week alone. My wife gets her second vaccine shot this Saturday (I am too young... but by June... :-) ). Yes I am chomping at the bit to get more time in the ocean... too much time at home driving me a bit crazy.

brianb
03-03-2021, 07:30 PM
News: https://www.khon2.com/local-news/kauai-requests-to-join-states-safe-travels-program-in-april/

On April 5 Kauai will, if approved by the State Governor, will fall the State Safe Travel Program. If one if fully vaccinated then the you will be able to travel within the State without restriction. If not there will be restrictions and possible quarantine requirements. There will likely be a mandatory test upon departure from the U.S. The notion of a resort bubble, that had been in place. Will be removed. All of this is subject to change depending on the results of the new policy.

This is great news for the SHTP but participants and their guests should plan on leaving the US fully vaccinated.

Regards,

Brian

BobJ
03-03-2021, 08:43 PM
Being young and virile* I'm pretty far down the list to be vaccinated, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

*I had to pull down Funk and Wagnalls to look that up and make sure I spelled it right.

Intermission
03-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Being young and virile* I'm pretty far down the list to be vaccinated, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The older the bull, the harder the harder the horn.

sleddog
03-03-2021, 09:30 PM
For what it's worth, below are current details on the other Transpac (LA to Hono):

March 3, 2021 - Los Angeles, CA - The Board of Directors of the Transpacific Yacht Club has confirmed the 2021 Transpac yacht race is on. Interest is strong among participants, sponsors and members of the club to have no interruption this year in the 105-year history of this classic 2225-mile biennial ocean race from Los Angeles to Honolulu.

With a strong turnout of 58 entries to date, three start dates are still on schedule, with the first start planned for July 13, 2021.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has presented many challenges for us in planning this 51st edition of the race,” said TPYC Commodore Jim Eddy, “particularly for shore side logistics and social events at both the start and finish venues. Nonetheless, we have been working through many scenarios with some expert help and feel confident about conducting this race safely.”

The expert help comes from consulting epidemiologist Sara Stone, MSc, who has been working closely with TPYC on devising specific relevant protocols that maintain safety and compliance to the current restrictions in place for California and Hawaii. She has compiled a detailed report that will be used as the basis for a COVID-19 webinar being planned for Transpac participants on Saturday, March 13th at 0900 PST.

All Honolulu Transpac participants are urged to attend, and will be contacted on how to register for this important and informative briefing. “Our current plans reflect our current circumstances,” said Commodore Eddy, “and these will no doubt evolve between now and July. Yet we recognize our race remains solidly attractive to our participants because it is a unique opportunity to get out sailing and have the rewarding experience of crossing the ocean and finishing off beautiful Diamond Head.”

AlanH
03-03-2021, 10:04 PM
Being almost old enough but not quite...yet with questionable virility, who knows when my vaccination number will come up, but

just once more...

We don't HAVE to go to Hanalei. Sure, I'd rather go to Hanalei. I'd REALLY like to go to Hanalei. I want to go to Hanalei.

But if the choice was "Go to Hilo, or don't race at all"....then let's go to Hilo.
Or another Island.

everydaysailor
03-03-2021, 10:37 PM
Are they still holding to being vaccinated within 3 months of visiting? If so that cuts out most of my family who've already had shots.
As for me who knows.
The timing on this is pretty tight and starting to resemble the approach to Southampton on Saturday. Perhaps a 270 is in order.

Ok, I read it more thoroughly. Regarding the 3 month window: "This timeline will potentially be extended as more information is available."
So there's hope there.

BobJ
03-05-2021, 03:33 PM
I caused this thread to go astray with my post about the entry numbers. Sorry about that.

It's important to keep this open to our SHTP Chair so I moved those posts to the Shtp 2021 thread.

Carry on...

talonf4u
03-07-2021, 08:57 PM
I've done a bit of research about Hawaii for non-sailing-related reasons and it seems that if you test negative within 72 hours of your arrival, you're unrestricted, as best I can tell.

In other news, I was thinking about a 2-3 day race I could do this season, because I can't find the time for a SHTP... and I wondered if anyone would be annoyed with me if I just tagged along for the first day and a half of this race before turning myself around...?

BobJ
03-10-2021, 02:58 PM
No one with the R/C has answered, so I'll reply based on my recollection from when this has been asked in the past.

It's a free ocean - you can certainly sail out there with the fleet.

However, when you are "tagging along" the R/C and entered racers know you're out there, and that creates some responsibility. If you need help it is likely that one of the entered racers will be your closest source of help. Per the Law of the Sea they will come to your aid. While they may request and receive a time adjustment for doing so, it may put them into a different weather pattern or otherwise compromise their race.

So the short answer may be "As long as you don't require assistance." And who can know that in advance?

sleddog
03-10-2021, 09:04 PM
So the short answer may be "As long as you don't require assistance." And who can know that in advance?.

+1

DaveH
03-10-2021, 11:39 PM
No one with the R/C has answered, so I'll reply based on my recollection from when this has been asked in the past.

It's a free ocean - you can certainly sail out there with the fleet.

However, when you are "tagging along" the R/C and entered racers know you're out there, and that creates some responsibility. If you need help it is likely that one of the entered racers will be your closest source of help. Per the Law of the Sea they will come to your aid. While they may request and receive a time adjustment for doing so, it may put them into a different weather pattern or otherwise compromise their race.

So the short answer may be "As long as you don't require assistance." And who can know that in advance?

I won't pretend to answer for the RC, but I think what Bob says is generally correct, with a significant additional caveat from the OA's perspective.
"ghost participants" can inadvertently create huge liability risks for the Organizing Authority, if they are at all recognized, or if it can be shown that the OA was aware of it.
emphasis added to Bobs reply...
Basically, you haven't indemnified anyone (since presumably you wouldn't have signed a waiver), but by tacitly allowing you to sail with the fleet the SSS could be, in the eyes of an ambulance chaser, endorsing &/or encouraging your participation in a high risk activity should things go sideways.

I wouldn't say any of that precludes you from doing your own thing and sailing out the gate for a couple days, but I wouldn't talk it up or as Bob says "ask for anything".
For that matter I'd be cautious about where and when you time your "start", er, departure.

I really hate to be a killjoy.
It's a sad commentary on the litigious world we live in, I know.
Chalk it up to scar tissue from being deposed a few times for events that transpired at concerts I was managing (different context, but extremely unpleasant).

DH

talonf4u
03-11-2021, 08:30 PM
I hear that, and it's a responsibility I will feel heavily.

As a non-real racer, I was thinking to take the attitude that it was easier for me to compromise performance to make sure I was an asset to the fleet rather than a liability, i.e, more likely to rescue than be rescued. But, as you mention, you surely can never know when it's your turn...I'll ruminate on that.

brianb
03-14-2021, 07:32 AM
Hello All Racers,

There will be a SHTP-2021 Skippers meeting via ZOOM on Monday evening, 8 PM PST to discuss the pending announcement and possible contingencies in case of complications at either end of the course due to weather, COVID, or man made situations facing the event. An invitation has gone out via Jibeset to all registered racers in 2020 and 2021. If you did not receive this invitation and would like to attend contact "racechair@sfbaysss.org" for the particulars on logging into the ZOOM event.

Regards,

Brian

Philpott
03-16-2021, 11:24 AM

BobJ
03-16-2021, 12:15 PM
I think I asked you why a couple of us are entered with red ink, but I don't remember what you said.

Then there's the seven of us with check marks in the left column. That's ominous.

It's good to see that Surprise! and Perplexity are next to each other.

Philpott
03-16-2021, 12:30 PM
I think I asked you why a couple of us are entered with red ink, but I don't remember what you said.
Then there's the seven of us with check marks in the left column. That's ominous. It's good to see that Surprise! and Perplexity are next to each other.

This club is so inbred. Who can remember what pencil markings or red pens once represented?

Freud would know.

BobJ
03-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Perfect.

Dazzler
03-16-2021, 10:55 PM
Maybe a clue? Found in my cockpit today... But I quickly noted, it’s a graphite pencil! Not red or even blue. And it needs sharpening.

tiger beetle
03-17-2021, 12:13 PM
So what was the decision of Race Committee as regards holding (or delaying) the SSS TransPac in 2021?

- rob/beetle

tiger beetle
03-17-2021, 12:15 PM
The white hook on red background completely escapes me - clearly I am too inbred :) All I can think of is the Soviet hammer & sickle, which doesn't make sense in this context.

Red markings meant "mistake!" when you received your graded essay back...

- rob/beetle

DaveH
03-17-2021, 01:32 PM
The white hook on red background completely escapes me

this (https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1617-Navico-5000-Free)

tiger beetle
03-17-2021, 05:16 PM
That still doesn't help. I can see the white hook, but how does having that hook on a red (faux-leather?) background answer Bob's query as regards red letters on Jacquie's list?

Confused...

- rob

DaveH
03-17-2021, 09:16 PM
Referencing the gist of the origin thread, I believe it's about what YOU see in the hook.

So what your SSS Rorschach reveals is confusion based on literal interpretation of context... very interesting.

***^the above is an attempt at sarcastic humor, which I am perfectly well aware rarely translates on the web. I mean no offense!

tiger beetle
03-18-2021, 08:24 AM
Referencing the gist of the origin thread, I believe it's about what YOU see in the hook.

So what your SSS Rorschach reveals is confusion based on literal interpretation of context... very interesting.

OK - I feel better now: the hook on the red background has nothing to do with Bob's question regarding the entry list Jackie has been maintaining. I something of a literalist and don't spend time looking for "hidden meaning" - I make a terrible conspiracy theorist.

People are really good at creating structure, patterns, and meaning out of nothing (e.g., clouds that look like elephants, Rorschach ink blots). I try not to do that and instead want the evidence.

Thanks! As Freud might have said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". Or perhaps it was Schrodinger's Cat that said that :)

And it appears that Jackie did not answer Bob's question.

- rob

BobJ
03-18-2021, 08:41 AM
Oh, she did.

Fix the year in this sub-forum's header and I'll give you the answer.

Because I'm also a literalist. It's just silly that this hasn't been fixed.

tiger beetle
03-18-2021, 08:55 AM
Request sent to the SSS webmaster to make that update. I do not know if any of my login information is still valid, and even if I could login I certainly wouldn't go into the forum and do anything without specific request/permission from the current webmaster.

- rob

tiger beetle
03-18-2021, 09:02 AM
And my email to webmaster@sfbaysss.org bounced. Something is not set up correctly, either the SSS Contact page is incorrect or internally the SSS site is not correctly handing incoming email to that address. I've sent a note along to Joe Balderrama to let him know.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
03-18-2021, 09:08 AM
Welcome to our world.

When this finally gets fixed, all shall be revealed.

SSSForumAdmin
03-18-2021, 06:03 PM
When this finally gets fixed, all shall be revealed.

It's fixed. Now spill the beans... :)

- rob/beetle

Philpott
03-18-2021, 07:21 PM
It's fixed. Now spill the beans... :) - rob/beetle

Thank you, Rob. This is very exciting: A thread with the appropriate year. The race can now go ahead. What was determined during the Zoom meeting Monday night? Well, there WILL be a race to Kauai. It will start June 19. Jim Quanci has completed a Cruise-In application for Thursday June 17 - June 19 at the Richmond Yacht Club. Depending upon Covid and the response of the RYC board, this may make for a possible staging for the race.

At least three SHTP boats are berthed at RYC: Green Buffalo, Surprise! and Hedgehog. Danny Harris, the RYC harbormaster, has penciled it into his schedule, but that is as far as it has gone so far. However, what do we know about Jim Quanci? He's a persuasive guy.

Larry Conklin sold the Sea Squirrel and now has a 17' Avon Searider. This is sad, sad news for people who were emotionally attached to this boat, which had no cleats or running lights, depending instead upon leftover Halloween solar lights strung along the flimsy aluminum bimini. Oh, and the engine would stop inexplicably, leaving the driver to drift offshore with the tide in the middle of the night. Yes, the Sea Squirrel will be mourned. Maybe sing O Danny Boy here.

There will be a medical provisioning zoom presentation by Jan Hirsch, s/v Sweet Pea, on April 7 @ 7:30 pm, information to follow. Another seminar to be determined, to be held sometime in May.

We don't yet know whether there will be a pre-race lunch, but there will be a skippers meeting and weather discussion the day before the start, whether remote or not. Skip has said he might be available to give that, but he's being coy. He noted that Jim Quanci could give weather advice to Hawaii in his sleep, its title would be "Just Follow Me!". All is dependent upon Covid. Sailors will be asked to prove they have been vaccinated, which is now part of the registration process.

Everyone who participated in the Zoom meeting was inexplicably upbeat. For people who are about to race alone across an ocean in smallish boats, this apparent excitement defies reason, but there it is. But then again, your own sailing patterns defy reason, too, Tiger Beetle. So, I send a white cup hook your way and thank you again. As the only one among us with the apparent ability to fix the unfixable, we are in your debt.

AlanH
03-18-2021, 08:34 PM
It's a miracle. A miracle, I tell you!

Thank you, Rob!

======================

I am registered with:

Kaiser...Sutter health....the County of San Mateo...the State of California to get a COVID vaccine. We shall see!

AlanH
03-18-2021, 10:46 PM
I'm sad to say that I'm going to have to withdraw from the race. I've been hit with a health issue out of nowhere, the past 8-10 days or so. My blood pressure is spiking and I'm having dizzy spells. Considering the short amount of time between now and the race start, I think it's irresponsible to continue for financial and family reasons, not to mention the issue of putting emergency personnel at risk.

I'll see you all on the water for RtR and SHF.

I'll get a list of SHTP gear that I'll have for sale up on the forum as soon as I can so that others can use it, if they wish to.

tiger beetle
03-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Hi Alan -

that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that - particularly after all the energy you've put into getting ready. Hopefully the issue is something that can be worked through and you're back out on the water good to go.

- rob/beetle

Daydreamer
03-23-2021, 08:37 AM
I re-opened the 2020 web page from the main SSS site.
It is linked from the forum as well.
The header reads 2021.

The poster will be updated.

I am working to update racer info and boat photos.

Racers, I sent a couple emails to the addresses provided requesting photos and info.
I'll update as we go along.

Greg

NearMiss
05-31-2021, 11:17 PM
I am afraid the covid delays have finally won and there is no realistic way to finish preparations on Near Miss in time for a decent sea trail and to get to SF in time for the start. So I must withdraw from the race. Let me know what if anything else I need to do to withdraw.

Cheers,
Don

Philpott
06-01-2021, 11:13 AM
Let me know what if anything else I need to do to withdraw.Cheers,Don

Gotcha. Thanks for the email.

Philpott
06-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Bill Stange's coming in hot. He's at Drakes Bay right now. Ignore that triangle: He's coming south, not going north.

https://share.garmin.com/Bill2SF

Philpott
06-01-2021, 10:13 PM
Okay, so Bill Stange's not coming in hot. He is, however, almost at the gate, arriving from the Seattle area. Affiliation? Sloop Tavern Yacht Club. He's on a Westsail and the wind has ... relented. According to his wife, Darlene, "He will be hanging out in the Potato Patch until morning, when tides are more favorable and he can see". Hula will be in Marina Bay Marina. Here's his sailing bio. Very appealing:

Sailing bio
Bill Stange
Where are you from?
I was born in Waupaca, Wisconsin and grew up on Mercer Island, Washington.
I currently reside in Driftwood Key- Hansville, Washington.
Years Sailing: 53
Years of Ocean Experience: 46, including races as the 1976 Victoria-Maui Race, 1980 Ballena
Bay Transpac, and the 1988 Single-handed Transpac.
How long have you had your sailboat? Eight years
Favorite feature: Heavy solid construction, lots of room for on the way back from Hawaii for
carrying trophies.
Reason for doing race: Our Westsail 32 looked at me and said, “Hey, I may not be an Olsen
30, but I’m no slouch off the wind. Let’s do this!!”

I love these modest guys. In 1988 Bill sailed an Olson 30 named Intense in the SHTP. He set a new record. His times? elapsed 11:15:21:23, corrected 09:06:49:23 Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Quite a different experience, a Westsail after an Olson.

mike cunningham
06-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Meanwhile, David Garman reports Perplexity is hitting 18 kts on his way down from Seattle.

A little practice I guess.

Philpott
06-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Whoa! Whoa! Here he is, catching his breath: https://share.garmin.com/northernstarsailing

These little garmin doohickeys are way cool!

Philpott
06-07-2021, 03:51 PM
Northern Star, coming down the coast @ 8 knots https://share.garmin.com/northernstarsailing

Philpott
06-08-2021, 08:44 AM
Here are the fleet assignments:

Kane: Hobie 33 / Sabre 426 / Express 37 / J 109
Lono: Cal 40 / Cal 40 / Santa Cruz 33
Ku: Westsail 32 / Olson 25 / Hinkley 42
Hokulea: Crowother 10m Cat.

The race starts off the Golden Gate Yacht Club, with the preliminary signal @ 10:55 am on June 19.

On Thursday, June 17 sailors will arrive with their boats in the Richmond Yacht Club (thank you, RYC board, for supporting the Singlehanded Sailing Society in this very important way). Danny Harris, harbormaster, has figured out a way to accommodate everyone near the ends of Docks C, D, E and F. THANK YOU, SIR!!!

Philpott
06-11-2021, 06:22 PM
In order to address every question, the Skippers' meeting will be at 0930 am on Friday June 18

brianb
06-13-2021, 09:54 AM
Attention SHTP 2021 Participants - have you forwarded your onboard email address info to the Proof Of Life email address ??? PLease do this ASAP as we need to make sure we can communicate to all boats with a single broadcast in case of some type of emergency.

Boats I don't yet have info for are:

Siren
Northern Star
Hula
SHark on BLue Grass
Mountain
Sea Wisdom

Again - this is your on board email address, lacking that your tracker's SMS address. Please include you boat name in the message.

Thanks,

Brian

seawisdom
06-13-2021, 05:34 PM
Hi Brian,

I think there is a problem with the alias ssspol@sfbaysss.org forwarding to your email: brianb@brianboschma.com. Both Jackie and Greg were able to receive my onboard Sea Wisdom Iridium Go email to ssspol@sfbaysss.org.

Please see email log below:

-Will

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

brianb@brianboschma.com
host mx.brianboschma.com [66.96.140.89]

brianb
06-14-2021, 08:45 AM
Hi Will,

Interesting. I am getting many messages from the boats who are pinging. I am not sure why seawisdom woud be filtered out.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I think there is a problem with the alias ssspol@sfbaysss.org forwarding to your email: brianb@brianboschma.com. Both Jackie and Greg were able to receive my onboard Sea Wisdom Iridium Go email to ssspol@sfbaysss.org.

Please see email log below:

-Will

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

brianb@brianboschma.com
host mx.brianboschma.com [66.96.140.89]

brianb
06-14-2021, 08:57 AM
Hi Will,

I found your response in my backup email forwarded address. Except for Seawisdom's message all others seem to be present in my normal email. I suspect servers close to your mail server have marked my email address, at some time in the past, as a source of spam. Just a guess.

Brian

Philpott
06-19-2021, 07:24 PM
Thank you, Jibeset

https://www.jibeset.net/gpswatch.php?FA=JACKY_T007588480_1_58311070_NC

Philpott
06-20-2021, 10:38 AM
All 11 boats have reported in this morning. That means a live person has pushed a "Proof Of Life" button.