PDA

View Full Version : Get ready to register for Corinthians starting tomorrow, Sat. Feb. 6

Submarino
02-05-2021, 08:54 PM
Registration for the SSS Corinthian Race will open on Feb. 6 in the AM. Please READ below carefully since priority will be given to current SSS members first.

Sat and Sun race registration will be for current SSS members only.

But, on Sat and Sunday, you may elect to become an SSS member and register for the race.

Monday & forward will be registration for any single race entries (in other words non SSS members) or those who may have missed the Sat and Sunday opportunities.

Corinthians will be open to both Singlehanded and Doublehanded entries.

There will be a 150 boat entry limit.

There will be NO waitlist.

The start and finish will be at the X buoy off the GGYC sea wall.

Course is GGYC “X” start, Blackaller, Southampton, Little Harding, Blossom and GGYC “X” finish. (RC may set up a second course (but similar) to separate SH & DH divisions, TBD).

Thank you and if you have not done so, remember to contact YRA early to renew or apply for a 2021 PHRF certificate.

https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T006050885

Boulouf
02-06-2021, 12:56 PM
Hi there!

I am a solo sailor and that's how I found out about The SINGLEHANDED sailing society. You know on my computer browsing device...!
I haven't paid for a membership hoping for a day that I'll be back to work (yes on weekends).
Your races: Round the Rock, 3 Bridge etc gave a good turn to my unemployed Covid year. Thanks for your hard work!
And I was really looking forward for the next one: the Corinthians!
Not sure that when it will be my turn to sign up on Monday morning that I will get any room left for my registration...
You pick your rules, you should follow up on that.
It's just look like that two third of the fleet will be DOUBLEHANDED oh dear Solo Sailing Society!!!!

Anyway, how do I do for the Round The Rocks 2021?
Should I look forward with that RR in mind as a singlehanded sailor without a membership?
Thanks

Bombora
02-06-2021, 03:48 PM
Hi Boulouf!
I think you will find that the membership is actually a pretty good deal. For $145 you get free registration all the SSS races for the year - 3 bridge, Corinthian, Round the rocks, Singlehanded Farallons, Drakes Bay, Vallejo 1-2, and Half Moon Bay. That's only $20 a race! It's the best deal in racing, if you plan on doing all the races. I mention this because I'm not sure if you knew this was the deal.
Best
Rebecca

Hi there!

I am a solo sailor and that's how I found out about The SINGLEHANDED sailing society. You know on my computer browsing device...!
I haven't paid for a membership hoping for a day that I'll be back to work (yes on weekends).
Your races: Round the Rock, 3 Bridge etc gave a good turn to my unemployed Covid year. Thanks for your hard work!
And I was really looking forward for the next one: the Corinthians!
Not sure that when it will be my turn to sign up on Monday morning that I will get any room left for my registration...
You pick your rules, you should follow up on that.
It's just look like that two third of the fleet will be DOUBLEHANDED oh dear Solo Sailing Society!!!!

Anyway, how do I do for the Round The Rocks 2021?
Should I look forward with that RR in mind as a singlehanded sailor without a membership?
Thanks

Boulouf
02-06-2021, 04:19 PM
Hi Bombora,

Indeed, it feels like a deal!
But the boat is not yet meeting the Ocean specifications...
And mostly just planning a race at the time while looking to get back to work !
Anyway, we've got the Estuary tomorrow!

Thanks

DaveH
02-06-2021, 07:19 PM
How come George gets 2 entrees?
More importantly, how's he gonna sail 2 boats??!6242

Lightspeed
02-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Saw that and a J24 in the Express 27 group. I am sailing against a Cal 40 Multihull

BobJ
02-06-2021, 07:54 PM
George is good. Apparently we switch boats now and then:

Philpott
02-06-2021, 10:05 PM
Apparently we switch boats now and then:

That explains alot, because I’m pretty sure I won that last race.

Submarino
02-06-2021, 10:08 PM
How come George gets 2 entrees?
More importantly, how's he gonna sail 2 boats??!6242

George has corrected it! We can rib him at the skipper's meeting. : )

Submarino
02-06-2021, 10:09 PM
Boulouf, Do not lose hope, you will have your chance on Monday so keep close to jibeset.

BobJ
02-07-2021, 11:32 AM
Corinthian Race sold out - almost in 24 hours again!

Boulouf
02-07-2021, 06:37 PM
Boulouf, Do not lose hope, you will have your chance on Monday so keep close to jibeset.

Not much room for hope! The 150 are there!... Just asking about Round the Rocks and if the registration gets the same way! But I can just keep training and learning for next fiasco!

Fair and fun winds for you all!

( If there is a need for help at the comite, happy to volunteer)

BobJ
02-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Did you mean to re-open the Corinthian Race registrations? Entries are up to 163 now.

Huge fleets work with the drawn-out 3BF starting sequence, but not so much with normal sequences. And I guess we're back to combining SH with DH?

Philpott
02-11-2021, 04:20 PM
Whoa! Slow fat Dura Mater in the same race as Shadow? In the same Raccoon Strait as Shadow? I looked it up: " [Extreme 40s] have a top speed of about 40 knots (74 km/h; 46 mph) and can sail at about 35 knots (65 km/h; 40 mph) in 20–25 knots of wind ..." The Moore 24/Pirahna fleet of doublehanders is one thing. Two people on an Extreme 40 is a whole 'nother extreme. This will be interesting.

Also, is Michael Chammout commodore at Corinthian YC now?

BobJ
02-11-2021, 05:09 PM
The web sez Jennifer Canestra is CYC's Commodore.

AlanH
02-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Jackie, our class is looking pretty tough right now. Miz Synthia Eyrie will be out. There goes one of the top three spots!

Philpott
02-11-2021, 05:49 PM
Jackie, our class is looking pretty tough right now. Miz Synthia Eyrie will be out. There goes one of the top three spots!

That's too true, Alan. But Synthia doesn't barge the start. She doesn't have to. And she's very sensitive about the way she hightails it into the future ... and beyond. With a smile over her shoulder to the crowd.

I'm also never around when she throws up that spinnaker. Maybe they'll change the course so the singlehanders circle Blackaller last and she'll get to do it again ... Ms Eyrie? What say you?

Eyrie
02-12-2021, 01:57 PM
That's too true, Alan. But Synthia doesn't barge the start. She doesn't have to. And she's very sensitive about the way she hightails it into the future ... and beyond. With a smile over her shoulder to the crowd.

I'm also never around when she throws up that spinnaker. Maybe they'll change the course so the singlehanders circle Blackaller last and she'll get to do it again ... Ms Eyrie? What say you?

I say that I would very much encourage the RC to separate the SH & DH fleets. And it seems a reasonable option to send one fleet to Blackaller first and the other fleet to Blackaller last.

Submarino
02-12-2021, 09:46 PM
Some January and earlier paid members were shut out due to the short window and 150 cap. We made a few openings available for them knowing some attrition will occur by the Skipper's meeting. Nothing worse than selling more opera tickets than seats.

Submarino
02-13-2021, 08:22 PM
Attention NON members who would like to race Corinthians Feb. 27 without becoming a paid season SSS member, we invite you to register single or doublehanded starting Monday a.m., Feb. 15. Sixteen spots available until the adjusted 180 cap is reached.

If you don't have one, remember to get your PHRF certificate at YRA or BAMA asap. That's a requirement by the end of Feb. 24, same day as Skipper's Meeting.

Boulouf
02-15-2021, 09:26 AM
As a SRE type of guy I truly appreciate the morning spot i just get thank you triple S RC!

Last round the rocks has finished in the raccoon, spinnaker halyard up there at 7/8th of my mast length and had to withdraw when I unhooked the starboard runner maneuvering for a reef off. Anyway I made it fast to little harding and I had the smile motoring back to the estuary...!
Had the smile too after the three bridge, because I thought I had finished it!
But the bashing of the frustrated fleet who went black caller first made me do the right thing: withdraw!
A Red Rock first guy made a poor choice after staying awhile in place or loosing distance to leave room to TI coming fleet: I went too close, just too close to wharf.... Withdraw! Few days later, I could have judged my overall performance and call it a quit...
So corinthians here I am, two halyards for the kite, reattached runners, no restricted areas, many things could go wrong but I just signed up and even for last place!
After all, the boat won them all with the notorious S.Owens....

Thank you RC, for letting a SRE guy learning so much sailing, currents and bay marks this year!