PDA

View Full Version : Getting rented liferafts back stateside

AlanH
03-17-2021, 09:48 AM
Now I don't remember what I did in 2008. I assume that you can't fly a packed liferaft back, as it's got a pressurized cannister in it. Ship it back?

everydaysailor
03-17-2021, 11:38 AM
I'm sure a boat going back on it's own bottom woukd happily take the extra weight and safety.

tiger beetle
03-17-2021, 12:11 PM
Ask Sal's Inflatables about how folks do that. I believe you're correct about not putting the raft on an airplane due to the pressurized gas cylinder.

I would not want to be ferrying back someone else's life raft given the weight and responsibility to deliver it safely back to the West Coast.

- rob/beetle

DaveH
03-17-2021, 12:58 PM
standard practice for trailered boats is to ship the raft with the boat on the trailer
in the past I believe Sal has cut a break for the weeks in transit / not in service, but you'll have to take his temperature on that.
DH

JimQuanci
03-24-2021, 07:36 PM
I'll carry your liferaft back if needed... but its a 17 day trip... starting the Sunday after the last party... some chance your boat will make it back faster via RO-RO (so yes leave the liferaft in your boat unless it turns out the shipping scheduled turns out to be slow)