PDA

View Full Version : 2021 SHTP Scuttlebutt

Philpott
04-15-2021, 10:29 PM
Back in the early 1800s the cask containing a ship's daily supply of freshwater was called a ‘scuttlebutt’. By the early 20th century the term for the water source was also applied to the gossip and rumors generated around it.
Merriam-Webster

You singlehanders registered for the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race: What are you doing out there ?!!?

Tonight the Race Committee met to discuss the latest issues. We talked sponsors, jackets, airfares and weather synopses for the first week offshore.

We talked about whether Skip Allan plans to attend the Skippers meeting on Friday June 18 in order to give you a heads up regarding your first three days out the gate. Will he or won't he? Only Sleddog knows for sure.

Where will the skippers meeting be held? We still don't know, although this weekend the Richmond Yacht Club will begin to serve meals inside to members with reservations, so hope springs eternal that we may be able to stage the race at that venue.

Will the Race Committee be able to finish you in Hanalei Bay? Yes, because the Kahuna has found us a condo overlooking the finish line and Lee Johnson of s/v Morning Star will be on station. Lee did the race in style in 2018. Unless he objects, Morning Star will be festooned with distinctive lights so even if you finish in the middle of the night during a squall you will see MS and she will be all that your heart desires: A focus for those sleep deprived eyes of yours.

We talked about which local merchants we can hit up for money and goods to offset race costs, and how expensive rental cars have become in Kauai and everywhere else.

So, post what ya got here. Are you having trouble with your emergency rudder deployment? Are you still putting off doing that qualifier? Would you prefer to go out the gate at the same time as another boat for this (very) Late Pac? Well, you'd better get going. Or at least post your concerns and/or achievements here.

All we have so far is rumour and gossip and what you have attached via Jibeset. Which ain't much so far.

You have all been sent each other's emails privately, but maybe you really do believe those stories about singlehanders not having friends and smelling bad. That may all be true but sometimes you need help or feedback. So post away. Someone else may be having the same issues.

Philpott
04-16-2021, 09:45 AM
Who is Robb Walker and what does Nozomi mean?

sleddog
04-16-2021, 10:49 AM
Who is Robb Walker and what does Nozomi mean?

Robb, and his wife Rowena Carlson, are residents of Berkeley and lifelong sailors. Both are students of the game and highly competitive in big boats and small. As well, Rowena is Co-Chair of the Environment of the Sea for CCA Station of San Francisco and recently spent time on Midway Island with the albatross.

Robb is an engineer, architect, yacht designer, and writer. Robb was principal designer for Nelson/Marek Yacht Design for 13 years. You can find Robb's story at https://robb-walker.format.com/resume

NOZOMI, which means "Hope" or Heart's Desire" in Japanese, is a vet of races to Hawaii and always prepared to the Nth degree. It should be an epic SHTP with NOZOMI and GREEN BUFFALO battling for the Overall. I would recommend introducing yourselves to some of the most personable people I know, Rowena and Robb, aboard NOZOMI.

Philpott
04-27-2021, 11:32 AM
SHTP racers: I'm ordering jackets. In case you don't know, we have your boat's name embroidered on a sailing jacket for you. And the Club's logo.

Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Could you please send me an email with your size preference?
Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com
or pm me here.

Philpott
04-27-2021, 02:20 PM
Okay, here's a contest to see how many of you are paying attention. We have a choice between burgee colors. There are no additional choices, only between orange on navy or navy on orange. The colors have been chosen (by me) to reflect the smooshy stuff in petrie dishes used by immunologists studying Covid. Yes, you read that right. So, either here or by private email: Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com or via private message here on the SSS Forum, vote for either navy on orange or orange on navy.

Who said life doesn't offer you any choices? Color in the SSS is a social construction.

tiger beetle
04-27-2021, 05:58 PM
I'm a big fan of international orange, but I would respectfully suggest that Hot Pink on black would be exciting! (Could also use Violent Green on black - but Hot Pink is harder on the eyeballs).

- rob

BobJ
04-27-2021, 08:23 PM
I know for a fact that Philpott likes hot pink roach clips, so you might persuade her. I also know that you prefer Road Cone orange, at least for shirts.

Philpott
04-27-2021, 09:34 PM
These people are trusting me to get their boats' names embroidered correctly on their jackets, Bob. Now stop spreading big fat fibs and and go paint your boat hot pink.

Hot pink roach clips, indeed.

Philpott
04-27-2021, 09:36 PM
I'm a big fan of international orange, but I would respectfully suggest that Hot Pink on black would be exciting! (Could also use Violent Green on black - but Hot Pink is harder on the eyeballs).

- rob

I see a role for you as Swag King for SHTP 2023, Rob.

BobJ
04-27-2021, 10:13 PM
Hot pink roach clips, indeed.

Did you, or did you not, give me a whole bag of these? (I know, "What happens on E-dock STAYS on E-dock.")

Philpott
04-27-2021, 10:34 PM
Did you, or did you not, give me a whole bag of these? (I know, "What happens on E-dock STAYS on E-dock.")

Oh. Those are roach clips? Who knew?

This thread is for serious ocean crossers.

So far I have four votes and the Orange on Navy is ahead.

Philpott
04-28-2021, 08:45 AM

northwester
04-28-2021, 07:10 PM
There will be 5 boats from here in the Pacific Northwest I believe, including someone who has won the SHTP and has to be a threat in his Westsail 32. Personally speaking (Perplexity) I have been consumed with the prep on top of the rest of life. One thing we recently noticed in the SERs is the inspection by June 5. Some of us won't be in SF by then? We have sent some inquiries and have yet to receive a response.

Back in the early 1800s the cask containing a ship's daily supply of freshwater was called a ‘scuttlebutt’. By the early 20th century the term for the water source was also applied to the gossip and rumors generated around it.
Merriam-Webster

You singlehanders registered for the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race: What are you doing out there ?!!?

Tonight the Race Committee met to discuss the latest issues. We talked sponsors, jackets, airfares and weather synopses for the first week offshore.

We talked about whether Skip Allan plans to attend the Skippers meeting on Friday June 18 in order to give you a heads up regarding your first three days out the gate. Will he or won't he? Only Sleddog knows for sure.

Where will the skippers meeting be held? We still don't know, although this weekend the Richmond Yacht Club will begin to serve meals inside to members with reservations, so hope springs eternal that we may be able to stage the race at that venue.

Will the Race Committee be able to finish you in Hanalei Bay? Yes, because the Kahuna has found us a condo overlooking the finish line and Lee Johnson of s/v Morning Star will be on station. Lee did the race in style in 2018. Unless he objects, Morning Star will be festooned with distinctive lights so even if you finish in the middle of the night during a squall you will see MS and she will be all that your heart desires: A focus for those sleep deprived eyes of yours.

We talked about which local merchants we can hit up for money and goods to offset race costs, and how expensive rental cars have become in Kauai and everywhere else.

So, post what ya got here. Are you having trouble with your emergency rudder deployment? Are you still putting off doing that qualifier? Would you prefer to go out the gate at the same time as another boat for this (very) Late Pac? Well, you'd better get going. Or at least post your concerns and/or achievements here.

All we have so far is rumour and gossip and what you have attached via Jibeset. Which ain't much so far.

You have all been sent each other's emails privately, but maybe you really do believe those stories about singlehanders not having friends and smelling bad. That may all be true but sometimes you need help or feedback. So post away. Someone else may be having the same issues.

mike cunningham
04-28-2021, 08:15 PM
Northwester, I've sent you a PM re inspection. We should talk.

Philpott
04-28-2021, 08:53 PM
Attention Pacific Northwesterners: Don't worry your pretty little heads about inspections. Mike Cunningham s/v Jacqueline, Freedom 30, might be coming up to inspect one or two of you, and we have people everywhere just waiting for the nod to inspect your boats. Would we hang you out to dry? No! We want you to come down here and then sail over there!

Now will you please send me your jacket sizes?

Philpott
04-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Here's something to get your hearts beating faster: http://vimeo.com/45337257

sleddog
05-01-2021, 03:27 PM
With 49 days to launch, looks like 16 entries remain. A major challenge to race the SHTP, often underestimated, is to physically cross the start line. Fingers crossed, but if history is any guide, not all remaining entries will meet this challenge.

I currently see 3 pre-race favorites*, with another 3 in the second row. However, I'm not familiar with some of the PNW boats or their skippers. Again, if history is any guide, the PNW can and will send at least one significant challenger..

* to be a favorite in my book, one must have at least three of the following four: 1) racing to Hawaii experience as skipper or crew. 2) a stout, well shaken down vessel. 3) equipment and ability to sail one's vessel singlehanded near max potential. 4) Ability to successfully gybe at night in breeze (TWS>18 knots)...

Please note I have said nothing about having spinnaker experience. That can be as much a hindrance as help and has proven such in the past.

Jonathan Gutoff
05-01-2021, 05:26 PM
So if this years winner was the SSS commodore in the past do they "volunteer" again? Or are there term limits?

Philpott
05-01-2021, 08:46 PM
What is this? A little Saturday night excitement: A new SHTP sailor. What do we know about Donald Poppe? Only that he is from Santa Barbara, a member of the Santa Barbara Yacht Club. I stayed in the Santa Barbara Marina last fall. That's a swanky place. Maybe he'll post a bit about himself here, invite us to visit him at the SBYC sometime. Let's be nice to him.

everydaysailor
05-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Aloha is now signed up for both Ditch and SHT. The Ditch is pretty demanding itself with either a long delivery back or trailer time with hours of breakdown/set up, so this is most ambitious.
In 2015 we finished a Windjammers before dark on Outsider. The next boat, a Farr 40, arrived 45 minutes later. We packed the boat up and drove back to Alameda by 10pm or so. The next morning Outsider was rolling down to Benecia in the Jazz Cup. Fast turn arounds are possible but damn! If you need an extra hand Aloha give us a holler - we plan on making this race.
CJordan
The Pork Chop Express

Philpott
05-02-2021, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Philpott;29148]Reed Bernhard asked for a list of boats' locations. Then I got an email from Jim Q: "Where is Nozomi?"

They're not even out the gate yet and he's already looking 'round for the other Cal 40. Here's the updated list. Sorry, Robb!

Mountain
05-05-2021, 01:18 PM
Moorage in San Francisco before the start. Any recommendations for the out of town entries?
Thanks,
Mountain

AZ Sailor
05-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Moorage in San Francisco before the start. Any recommendations for the out of town entries?

Marina Village Yacht Harbor, Alameda. Worked well for me both before and after the 2018 race. Proximity to Oakland airport, great facilities, helpful staff.

sleddog
05-05-2021, 08:52 PM
Marina Village Yacht Harbor, Alameda. Worked well for me both before and after the 2018 race. Proximity to Oakland airport, great facilities, helpful staff.

I second Lee's suggestion..there's a supermarket a short walk. Unlike most of the rest of SF Bay, the water at Marina Village can be warm enough in mid-June to dive your bottom without a wetsuit. Be sure to tell management you are in town for the SHTP...they've offered discounts in the past.

Mountain
05-05-2021, 10:31 PM
Gracias!

AlanH
05-06-2021, 07:22 AM
For any out-of-towners who might need some last minute yard work, I recommend Berkeley Marine Center. Ruben, the general manager is an SHTP vet and a great guy. KKMI gets more publicity and more of the big boat work, and they absolutely are a very good yard, but I know that Ruben will do everything he can for a bug-lighter.

The Berkeley marina is not a place I'd recommend to stay for any length of time. A lot of the marina is in disrepair, although B dock has a lot of open berths in the 25-35 foot range. B dock on the north side of the marina are the docks in best shape. The marina is off by itself, a 45+ minute walk to anything, or a 20 minute walk and then a bus ride.

AlanH
05-06-2021, 07:26 AM
Spotted yesterday...Shark on Bluegrass, out of the water at the BMC!

Philpott
05-06-2021, 03:23 PM
May 6, 2021

The Race Committee held a zoom last evening with most of the SHTP registered sailors. Here’s an update:

The race start will be off the Golden Gate Yacht club on the City Front, just east of the Golden Gate Bridge. The first warning signal will be at 12:55. Fleets to be announced.

Jibeset is now open again. If you have not already uploaded documentation regarding completion of your qualifying sail, PHRF certificate etc, please do that. It is also open for final registration payments, which are due May 15.

We are very hopeful that the RYC will approve staging in the RYC harbor, and that some kind of luncheon will be possible on Friday June 18.
If you call or email him, Jim Quanci will arrange for a diver at your boat in the RYC harbor in one of the days prior to the race. This is, obviously, not included in your registration fee.

s/v Morning Star and Lee Johnson, 2018 SHTP vet, will be on station in Hanalei Bay 24/7, but his boat IS NOT a finish mark. A virtual location determined by latitude and longitude will be provided for the finish.

The Yellow House will not be available for sleep deprived sailors this year. The race committee will be housed in a condo up in Princeville with a full view of the finish.

Larry Conklin will make a rib available to the club for finishing, and members of the RC will be out there to greet you when you arrive, night or day.We will monitor your arrival via your tracker and VHF Channel 69.

The final communication plan will be available May 8/9 on Jibeset.

The crate: Contact David Herrigel regarding possible use of the crate. It has a limited capacity at approximately 45 cubic feet. Due to shipping schedules, it must be sent during the first week of June in order to arrive on Kauai in time, so contact David NOW if you want to send something.

There will be another skipper Zoom meeting approximately two weeks before the race and Tracker testing will occur at some point. Updates to follow via email.

And most important: Yes. There Will Be Boat Buckles.

seawisdom
05-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Thanks for sending out the Comm Plan today. Just to confirm, is the SHTP RC email ssstranspacific@sfbaysss.org or transpacific@sfbaysss.org? I asked because the Comm Plan email was copied to ssstranspacific@sfbaysss.org, but the Comm Plan document lists transpacific@sfbaysss.org as the RC. Please confirm which email address to use. Thanks!

Philpott
05-10-2021, 10:02 AM
"Hoping for the best is not a emergency plan" David Garman, SHTP 2016

Philpott
05-10-2021, 11:48 AM
Thanks for sending out the Comm Plan today. Just to confirm, is the SHTP RC email ssstranspacific@sfbaysss.org or transpacific@sfbaysss.org? I asked because the Comm Plan email was copied to ssstranspacific@sfbaysss.org, but the Comm Plan document lists transpacific@sfbaysss.org as the RC. Please confirm which email address to use. Thanks!

Excellent question, Captain Lee. Through trial and error, here is the SHTP RC email that goes directly to the RC Chair:

TRANSPACIFIC@SFBAYSSS.ORG

The correction will be made to the Communication Plan along with last minute details such as contact phone numbers etc. and distributed to everyone before the final Skippers Meeting on June 18.

There are many squirrelly issues this year, including the sad loss of the Sea Squirrel which has been sold. Larry Conklin promises a better boat, but really? Sometimes better isn't the sentimental favorite. What is the name of the newer, better boat? Larry says that the name will occur organically. So consider the options on your ride over. Looking forward to seeing you in Hanalei Bay.

Rainbow
05-10-2021, 07:09 PM
May 6, 2021

The Race Committee held a zoom last evening with most of the SHTP registered sailors. Here’s an update:

The race start will be off the Golden Gate Yacht club on the City Front, just east of the Golden Gate Bridge. The first warning signal will be at 12:55. Fleets to be announced.

Jibeset is now open again. If you have not already uploaded documentation regarding completion of your qualifying sail, PHRF certificate etc, please do that. It is also open for final registration payments, which are due May 15.

We are very hopeful that the RYC will approve staging in the RYC harbor, and that some kind of luncheon will be possible on Friday June 18.
If you call or email him, Jim Quanci will arrange for a diver at your boat in the RYC harbor in one of the days prior to the race. This is, obviously, not included in your registration fee.

s/v Morning Star and Lee Johnson, 2018 SHTP vet, will be on station in Hanalei Bay 24/7, but his boat IS NOT a finish mark. A virtual location determined by latitude and longitude will be provided for the finish.

The Yellow House will not be available for sleep deprived sailors this year. The race committee will be housed in a condo up in Princeville with a full view of the finish.

Larry Conklin will make a rib available to the club for finishing, and members of the RC will be out there to greet you when you arrive, night or day.We will monitor your arrival via your tracker and VHF Channel 69.

The final communication plan will be available May 8/9 on Jibeset.

The crate: Contact David Herrigel regarding possible use of the crate. It has a limited capacity at approximately 45 cubic feet. Due to shipping schedules, it must be sent during the first week of June in order to arrive on Kauai in time, so contact David NOW if you want to send something.

There will be another skipper Zoom meeting approximately two weeks before the race and Tracker testing will occur at some point. Updates to follow via email.

And most important: Yes. There Will Be Boat Buckles.

In case anyone else is confused, as I was, I finally figured out that even though Jibeset still says registration is closed, the "Update" button is live, and the final fee can be paid, registration info updated, etc.

Mountain
05-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Anyone know where to find the preferred format for qualifying cruise log?
Thanks,
Mountain

AZ Sailor
05-17-2021, 04:26 PM
. . . the preferred format for qualifying cruise log?

I don't think there is one. I used the cruising log book (Evergreen) that I had on hand at the time, and submitted a PDF of the pages the qualifier filled. First of those:

Philpott
05-17-2021, 10:48 PM
Update from the SHTP Race Committee Zoom meeting 8pm 051721. Inspections are ongoing. David Garman, s/v Giant Slayer from the 2016 SHTP did us a solid and inspected a boat up his way. Peter Heiberg, s/v Scaramouche V from the 2014 race (and an earlier SHTP, too) agreed to inspect a boat up in British Columbia. Buglighters: They’re everywhere!

Tom Boussie and Bob Johnston have done local inspections and Mike Cunningham, race inspector, is trying to maintain organized files on everybody. Good luck with that, Mr Cunningham.

We are waiting on the final word regarding staging at Richmond Yacht Club and also the loading of the crate. The crate will probably end up in a parking space at RYC for a week or so. We will provide a contact so sailors can make arrangements to deliver crate items before the first week in June, when it must be loaded onto a Matson ship in time to arrive in Kauai by the time racers get there. Keep an eye on this site for more about this.

Brian Boschma has provided the Coast Guard with all documentation needed in order to obtain the race permit here in the Bay. Thank you to Laura at YRA for her help with all that.

Greg Ashby is in contact with the Nawiliwili contingent regarding the awards ceremony on island. What will that look like? We have no idea. Seriously. But there will be an awards ceremony, even if it just looks like this:

Skip Allan explains it all in 1978.

And finally, for those of you who appreciate tradition: Yes, Mama Shama will be there at the start of the race with that silken voice of hers.

Shama Kota-Gutheti and Peter Hogg s/v Tainui, SHTP 1984, 1986 and 1988, and s/v Aotea, SHTP 1990 and 1994, will be on the City Front with everyone else in front of the Golden Gate Yacht Club to see you off and out the Gate.

Westsail
05-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Hula update: Currently in Eureka, my Westsail and I are taking our sweet time on our delivery from Driftwood Key (15 miles north of Seattle) to the Bay Area. All is going smoothly except for the spaghetti sauce jar that mysteriously decided to open all by itself. I thought, “Why does this place smell like an Italian restaurant?”.
The guys I met in Coos Bay in the 45’ ketch who lost their kayaks and bent up their bow pulpit are now big fans of my plan to harbor hop down the coast and wait for good weather!
Someone tell Peter Hogg and Shama that Skymuffin (Peter told me in ‘88 that it means “brave sailor warrior” in Maori) is very excited to see both of them again!
See you all soon, Bill Stange. HULA Westsail 32.

Philpott
05-21-2021, 05:08 PM
In case you all want to watch Bill Stange as he sails down the coast, here's his garmin site: https://share.garmin.com/Bill2SF

Well, he's eating dinner right now. Bill, tell us more about your friends in the 45' ketch. Have you calmed them down?

Philpott
05-21-2021, 09:35 PM
We met Dennis Maggard in Hanalei Bay in 2018. Aboard his Creelock Pamela Dennis offered us shade from the sun, protection from the squalls and serious coffee.

Hailing from Apple territory down on the Peninsula, Dennis just happened to be there at the same time as the 2018 SHTP buglighters and company. He dragged people around in his little dinghy and was generally delightful. He remains delightful, and today I received a text from him.

He is in Hanalei Bay again aboard Pamela, this time with his son. He sends his greetings to everybody from 2018 and looks forward to seeing us again when we arrive. Here is the text from Dennis, and a photo: "Of course you and Synthia are welcome aboard s/v Pamela. I have to raise anchor and start my way back by about July 6, alas, due to a planned sojourn in Alaska, so I'll miss the better part of the SHTP fleet's arrival ... meanwhile, I'm sitting under the Tree and thinking of you."

So, even though we won't be staying at the Yellow House this year, it looks like the tree is healthy and waiting for us.

Philpott
05-21-2021, 10:02 PM
Here's another video from 2018: https://vimeo.com/304265355

We'll try to do this again. Maybe have it done professionally. haha. No. Not really.

pnwer
05-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Is anyone is able to fill a CNG tank once we get to Richmond from Seattle? I assume not but thought I would ask anyway!

Philpott
05-23-2021, 02:37 PM
https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=CNG&location=richmond%20ca

AntsUiga
05-23-2021, 05:03 PM
As a member of the SHTP lookey-loo brigade, are there events (other than the start) where the lookey-loo's are tolerated? I have no interest in crashing an event that is set aside for participants, their support team, and the SHTP committee.

Just curious-

Ants

Philpott
05-24-2021, 10:38 AM
We will have another SHTP zoom meeting tonight, after which we hope to have clarification regarding several issues: staging, luncheon and the celebration on island.

Also. Other things.

Thank you for your patience. Dennis Maggard and his son, Julian, go back and forth 2x/day from the s/v Pamela, and he's conducting reconnissance for us. Lee Johnson arrives w friend, M.J. on Morning Star from Hilo sometime after May 30. Dennis says that will take Lee 3 days. They both have Crealocks, so that is probably about right.

dolfinbill
05-24-2021, 02:56 PM
Lee Johnson arrives w friend, M.J. on Morning Star from Hilo sometime after May 30. Dennis says that will take Lee 3 days. They both have Crealocks, so that is probably about right.

Hi Jackie,

At least you spelled Crealock right this time but Morning Star is actually a Valiant 32. Can't wait to see everyone in Hanalei.

DolfinBill
Crealock 37

Philpott
05-24-2021, 06:52 PM
Hi Jackie, At least you spelled Crealock right this time but Morning Star is actually a Valiant 32. Can't wait to see everyone in Hanalei. DolfinBill Crealock 37

Oh dear! That IS disturbing. I made a mash of sailors' names and phone numbers, too. If this incompetence continues, who knows? The luncheon at Richmond Yacht Club may end up being ham and orange cheese on white bread sandwiches wrapped in wax paper. With Safeway apples and a small flat bag of Lays potato chips. Or worse. Sigh. You just can't get good help anymore.

Looking forward to seeing you and Patty under the rainbow.

dolfinbill
05-25-2021, 07:23 AM
Jackie,

Actually I've always thought of you as the glue that holds the SSS together. Your contributions are legendary and I am in awe.

DolfinBill

Intermission
05-25-2021, 08:18 AM
The luncheon at Richmond Yacht Club may end up being ham and orange cheese on white bread sandwiches wrapped in wax paper. With Safeway apples and a small flat bag of Lays potato chips. Or worse.

Hard to imagine worse; please don't anyone try!

Philpott
05-25-2021, 09:27 PM
SHTP update. Race Committee Zoom meeting Monday night. Although they are efficient, I am really tired of these zoom meetings.

We've been given the go ahead by Richmond Yacht Club to stage the boats there. Call it a cruise-in. Racers are welcome to arrive Thursday June 17 and stay until Saturday June 19. Email Danny Harris, RYC harbormaster @ Harbormaster@Richmondyc.org for location assignment before arrival.

SSS community and friends are invited to come visit, check out the boats, appreciate the audaciousness of people willing to sail across the Pacific alone.

Skip Allan has agreed to discuss the weather and give a course update at the Skippers’ meeting Friday morning June 18 at 10 am. To say that he knows this stuff is a serious understatement.

Lunch will follow @ noon. No cost to skippers, of course. We'll be ordering boxed lunches from a local café and yes, there will be vegetarian options. More about that later. Stay tuned.

All boats have been inspected, although there are always last minute issues. KKMI boat yard has a terrific chandlery right down the road from the RYC, there is a West Marine on the way to KKMI and just a bit beyond that is Whalepoint, an Ace hardware with an expansive inventory of sailing items.

The race start sequence will begin at approximately 10:55 am on Saturday June 19 off the Golden Gate Yacht Club. Skip has encouraged me to advise racers to give themselves plenty of time to get from the Richmond Yacht Club to what we call the City Front, which is where GGYC is located. Thanks to Bob Johnston for the maximum flood and ebb forecast at the gate on that date: Flood 1.1kt 0518, Ebb 2.5kt 1202, Flood 1.9kt 1717

We still aren’t able to confirm a formal ceremony in Kauai because of covid requirements over there. There will be some sort of ceremony, we just don’t know what it will look like yet. The official SSS Mai Tais may end up being unofficial.

There has been a $1 million upgrade to the park adjacent to the River in Hanalei Bay and there is now potable water via hose right there. Dennis Maggard, who is currently anchored in Hanalei Bay, says there is a trail down the hill from Princeville to the River: Bring headlamps and hiking boots because access via the actual road is very limited. Oh, and once you reach the River it needs to be crossed somehow. Huh. How’s that going to work? I have no idea.

Bill Stange (Hula) is tucked into Noyo Basin south of Ft Bragg on his way down the coast:
https://share.garmin.com/Bill2SF

And Kyle Vanderspek plans to trailer Aloha up from San Diego early in order to participate in the Delta Ditch Run. Does he plan to race Aloha in the Ditch Run? No one knows. It’s a mystery.

seawisdom
05-25-2021, 09:42 PM
We've been given the go ahead by Richmond Yacht Club to stage the boats there. Call it a cruise-in. Racers are welcome to arrive Thursday June 17 and stay until Saturday June 19. Email Danny Harris, RYC harbormaster @ Harbormaster@Richmondyc.org for location assignment before arrival.

SSS community and friends are invited to come visit, check out the boats, appreciate the audaciousness of people willing to sail across the Pacific alone.

Jackie, thanks for the update. The "cruise-in" sounds fun. I suppose this is different from the original plan of the boats being sequestered on June 17, so I assume it is optional for boats who are already near the starting line :) Regardless, I want to find my way there to say hello, on a boat or by a car.

Philpott
05-25-2021, 10:26 PM
Jackie, thanks for the update. The "cruise-in" sounds fun. I suppose this is different from the original plan of the boats being sequestered on June 17, so I assume it is optional for boats who are already near the starting line :) Regardless, I want to find my way there to say hello, on a boat or by a car.

Whatever your little heart desires, Will. It's not required that you bring Sea Wisdom (although she is so beautiful that it is a shame not to share her with the rest of us). The Skippers Meeting is mandatory on Friday, so you wouldn't want to miss that. And the boxed lunch ;-)

dolfinbill
05-26-2021, 06:51 AM
And Kyle Vanderspek plans to trailer Aloha up from San Diego early in order to participate in the Delta Ditch Run. Does he plan to race Aloha in the Ditch Run? No one knows. It’s a mystery.

David Clark and I just inspected Kyle's Hobie 33, Aloha, yesterday. Kyle is a very active sailor and plans to crew on the Spinnaker Cup and Coastal Cup before the SHTP and then fly home from Hawaii July 6th so he can race on Medicine Man in the Transpac. Just crazy, I say.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin, Crealock 37

Philpott
05-28-2021, 09:12 AM
Jim Quanci s/v Green Buffalo, one of your competitors, is Rear Commodore of the Cruising Club of America.

Jim has made arrangements with the The Worldwide Emergency Communications Center (WECC) to provide remote medical advice to you, should you need it, as you sail across from San Francisco to Kauai.

https://www.gwdocs.com/specialties/emergency-medicine/telemedicine/

The cost to you would be $150 from San Francisco to Kauai and an additional cost of $100 for your trip home. There is some paperwork involved that must be completed ahead of time, and the fee must be paid before you leave.

If you are interested in this emergency coverage, please contact Jim directly at his email, sent to you via the email you provided to the RC via Jibeset.

He has taken the lead on this and needs a head count asap. The organization would like one check, so Jim will collect the money and send it forward. You own a boat, so you’ve heard it before: Bring your checkbook.

Here is what Jim has to say about the WECC:

Basically you have a doc on call 24x7 who is fluent and comfortable advising what to do if you have a medical problem. Drugs to use, managing injuries, whatever. And they understand boats at sea when you are limited to what you have at hand. And they are comfortable working thru email, text, sat phone, etc (which most docs refuse to do).

I have seen them at work when crews have had to deal with diabetic attack, broken ribs, head injury, various bacterial infections (urinary track, staph, pneumonia) and more.

BobJ
05-28-2021, 10:06 AM
As soon as I read this, four SHTP skippers came to mind for whom this service would have prevented great distress to them, their families and the race committee.

This is a great resource. I hope all entrants sign up.

Thank you Jim!

sleddog
05-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Stan Honey's most current Transpac Race Tactics, Strategy, and Tactics seminar is here: http://honeynav.com/transpac-tactics-strategy-and-weather-presentation/

Though in this presentation Stan talks at a high level to mostly professional navigators on fully crewed boats with unlimited electronic generating power, fully funded wallets, and double digit boat speeds about the 2021 Los Angeles to Honolulu Race which starts July 13-July 17, nevertheless there is much that can be gleaned from his excellent presentation for this year's SHTP. Don't be intimidated, take notes, and remember Stan gybed his Cal 40 Illusion 45 times when he won the 1994 SHTP, always attempting to stay on the favored gybe.

Questions or comments? Ask them here and I will try to answer. If you want to check out an HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh) map that Stan praises for seeing real time wind over a wide area, go here: https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/HRRRsubh/displayMapLocalDiskDateDomainZipTZA.cgi?keys=hrrr_ subh_ncep_jet:&runtime=2021053101&plot_type=wind15min_z110m&fcst=0130&time_inc=15&num_times=73&model=hrrr&ptitle=Forecast%20Graphics&maxFcstLen=18&fcstStrLen=-1&domain=z1&adtfn=1

Philpott
06-02-2021, 10:45 PM
2008 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race Videos by fellow SSS sailors Jonathan Gutoff and Christine Weaver of NorCalSailing.com

https://vimeo.com/278423968

https://vimeo.com/287181720

https://vimeo.com/287274428

https://vimeo.com/287522155

https://vimeo.com/287527690

sleddog
06-03-2021, 12:47 PM
A suggestion to all SHTP entrants: It is not too early to calibrate your barometers. Current pressure at SFO is 1013 Mb. https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/KSFO.html

The wind at your start will probably be stronger inside the Bay than outside in the Gulf of the Farallones..You can check wind and weather at Buoy 46026, 20 miles west of your start, here: https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46026

Philpott
06-10-2021, 09:46 AM
This email from Brendan Huffman’s father.

Brendan’s uncle Jerry, my older brother, raced in four of your solo transpacific races; two on his Cal-34 Pacific Child (I think that was its name) and two in his Wilderness-41 Cynthia. He also sailed Cynthia alone from Hawaii to Tahiti. He loved solo sailing. Jerry raced in a number of TransPac and Pacific Cup races, usually as navigator. His second TrsnsPac in 1957 was my first (of ten) transpacific races. He also delivered several racing boats home to California. We sailed across the Atlantic together in 1965. Sadly, he passed away about twelve years ago from complication from Parkinson’s. He died in his sleep aboard Cynthia in - at that time- Bellingham, Washington.

Brendan has sailed since birth, beginning on our Cal-28, later for several years on our wonderful Yankee-30, and since 1987 on our Contessa-35. It was apparent early on that Brendan is a natural sailor and in his youth and adult life he has fulfilled my prediction. Brendan and I raced my Contessa-35 La Diana double-handed in the 2000 Pacific Cup race, in which we placed first.

He is a terrific sailor and seaman.

In preparing for this big race (in Marina del Rey, SoCal) Brendan has acquired quite a group of volunteers and a few of the us will be coming to the SSS luncheon at Richmond Y C.

BobJ
06-10-2021, 10:11 AM
A suggestion to all SHTP entrants: It is not too early to calibrate your barometers. Current pressure at SFO is 1013 Mb. https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/KSFO.html

The wind at your start will probably be stronger inside the Bay than outside in the Gulf of the Farallones..You can check wind and weather at Buoy 46026, 20 miles west of your start, here: https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46026

Hopefully all boats are coming to Richmond YC next Thursday. Here's a link to the club's weather station:
https://weather.richmondyc.org/

(If you like your pressure in millibars instead of inches of mercury, multiply RYC's station numbers by 33.864)

Great info about Brendan and his family!

With regard to Philpottt's message below and RYC etiquette, Surprise! always wears her mast while on the property. ;)

Philpott
06-10-2021, 10:32 AM
These last few months have been a flurry of trying to figure out, first, whether there would be a race, and then, what would it look like?

Well, there will be a race. It doesn’t look like races from the past because this year has been unlike anything before in the history of the world. However, there were sailors out there who wanted to GO, so the Singlehanded Sailing Society has accommodated them. The board made the GO call and twenty three sailors registered. Then twelve changed their minds and now we have 11. As of today they’re all ready to start except for food provisions. Imagine that!

Safety inspections are completed, thanks to the SHTP Inspector General Mike Cunningham. Tom Boussie inspected three boats locally, Bob Johnston inspected two in Richmond, David Garman inspected three up north, Bill Meanley and David Clark inspected in San Diego, Peter Heiberg and Gary Burton inspected boats that ended up not participating in the race, and Whitall Stokes and Steve Hodges agreed to inspect as well. The whole Sick Crew, for you Thomas Pynchon fans.

A reminder of what Kimball Livingston wrote in June of 1986:

The Singlehanded Transpac attracts hard-bitten competitors, also contemplative mystics with an eye for the misty, mysterious horizon. Some race to win. Others race only to go the distance. The long race, run every two years since 1978, is a grass-roots enterprise. Most of the sailors have modest boats and make sacrifices to race. There are no cash prizes. The organizers, the Singlehanded Sailing Society, are the competitors themselves, or their family members.

This year the Richmond Yacht Club has agreed to host our boats for the staging area of the race. It was a difficult decision for the RYC board. Because of CoVid, a significant number of members still feel very cautious about people coming onto the property from outside. The Club has declined requests for Cruise-Ins for that reason. Yet RYC has agreed to host the Singlehanded Sailing Society’s Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. Why is this? While the motto of the RYC is “This Club was built for Fun”, it is also a club that supports every type of sailor. And the members recognize that this is a RACE.

Oh, yeah, it is.

The boats have been invited to stage in the RYC harbor. Danny Harris, the new harbormaster and an ocean-crossing sailor himself, has made room for our boats along the ends of C, D, E and F docks. Perplexity is already at the end of C dock, Nozomi and Green Buffalo are next to each other further in on C. Northern Star is just off the coast, completing his qualifier, and will arrive this Friday or maybe a bit sooner, since he’s flying. The rest of the boats arrive Thursday June 17 and they will be there through at least Friday afternoon.

If you plan to come over to visit, please be respectful of the need for continued vigilance. Wear a mast while on the property. It will be terrific to see everybody. Don’t fall off the dock, but if you do, there’s a safety ladder at the end of each third slip. Yeah

Personally? I think this race might happen with or without permission from any organization or even the CDC.

“… even if no race committee existed to organize the Transpac [ific Race], the Race would happen anyway. Sailors would meet at an agreed upon time. They would show up in Hanalei some days later.”

I read that in a book somewhere, so it must be true.

BobJ
06-10-2021, 11:17 AM
Here's Richmond YC's harbor layout. The harbor entrance from Potrero Reach is by "F" in the lower, left-hand corner. Please come in slowly and watch for small boats, even on Thursday.

Zoom in to see the slip lengths and whether they are wide (W), narrow (N) or an end tie (ET). The turning basin by the clubhouse is for smaller boats - I wouldn't plan on going all the way in there.

F, E, D and C docks respectively (as Jackie referenced above) will be on your left as you make your way into the harbor. Since Surprise! is in E-75, I know that 77, 79, 81 and 83 are all open right now (it must be my aftershave). VHF Ch. 72 will be used for coordination.

https://www.richmondyc.org/files/RYC%20Harbor%20Layout.pdf

seawisdom
06-10-2021, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone for organizing the gathering at RYC. When is the best time to arrive at RYC on 6/17? The afternoon wind is a bit gnarly, it could reach 30 knots at times. Docking solo under that condition is demanding. Any recommendation? Will surely need help here. Thanks!
Will

Philpott
06-10-2021, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone for organizing the gathering at RYC. When is the best time to arrive at RYC on 6/17? The afternoon wind is a bit gnarly, it could reach 30 knots at times. Docking solo under that condition is demanding. Any recommendation? Will surely need help here. Thanks!
Will

We'll be sending an email out to everyone. All eleven of you ;-)

Boats are welcome to arrive anytime on Thursday. We'll be using VHF channel 72. Call when you enter Potrero Reach and we can negotiate your approach. There will be alot of us around, and we'll be ready to catch your docklines. By then we'll have a good idea of where to recommend you tie up. Sea Wisdom will go along one of the side ties for sure.

Watch out for dinghies sailing in and out. Lotsa big kids and little kids sailing all the time out of RYC and Brickyard Cove.

Philpott
06-11-2021, 05:15 PM
SHTP Race Chair Brian Boschma watches for Northern Star's approach

James (Jamie) Wylly is in a slip two up from Surprise! in the Richmond Yacht Harbor, surrounded by boats preparing for tomorrow morning's Delta Ditch Run.

He makes docking look easy.

Philpott
06-11-2021, 06:32 PM
We need to advise the caterer (Artisan Cafe of Marina Bay) of the meals ordered by June 14 at noon. Please make your reservations here: https://www.jibeset.net/ourregatta.php?A00=yes&A11=yes&CLUB=JACKY

Any questions, pm me here or ask someone under the age of 16 to help you.

talonf4u
06-12-2021, 09:42 PM
Gents, I can't join this year, but will try to say hello on Friday and join you for a few hours out of the gate in solidarity aboard Barcanova. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there, and good luck!

Philpott
06-13-2021, 05:35 PM
Erik Simonsen of the sailing blog Pressure Drop, will be photographing you all at the start of the race. Will he try to get the Golden Gate in the background? Always. Will he photograph your boat only when your sails are trimmed and tell tales are flowing straight back? Well, you'll have to help him with that.

Regardless, a smiling sailor always makes for a better photo, so look for his boat and do that. Here's what his boat looks like.

The RC will provide you with an 8 x 10 color photo of you and your boat at the start, so look lively and smile for his camera! Just this once.

Philpott
06-19-2021, 07:26 PM
https://www.jibeset.net/gpswatch.php?FA=JACKY_T007588480_1_58311070_NC

Philpott
06-20-2021, 01:36 PM
The last week has been a flurry of running around organizing and greeting racers. I will try to thank everyone who has participated in this race, and also - to keep your attention - post some photographs. If you have anything to add, feel free to post here. If you have questions, post here. If you have complaints, email Joe. hahaha. Just kidding.

Thank you again to Richmond Yacht Club for hosting the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race to Kauai. Thank you to Danny Harris, the best harbormaster anywhere, for carving out space for the racers. Here is Jamie Wylly in front of his Sabre NORTHERN STAR at the end of E Dock.

Jamie gave us a tour of his gorgeous boat. The softest black leather cushions I've ever sat on. Ooooh. And shelves full of books. Wonder if they survived the bash out the gate? We'll find out in Hanalei Bay, won't we? Mike Cunningham told me Jamie left his stern pulpit barbeque at the dock. I guess that'll go up to Danny's table cuz it won't fit into my carry on luggage.

Philpott
06-20-2021, 01:45 PM
You may have read that Will Lee had issues (again) with his bilge out at the Farallones. He had that issue last time he sailed over to RYC for the Emergency Rudder Race. He aced that race. Maybe it's a positive omen.

Go, Will!

Philpott
06-20-2021, 01:54 PM
There are a million details sailors must pay attention to as they prepare their boats and themselves for this race. The SSS Transpac Race Committee has a million details to deal with, too. Such as: Deciding what goes into the Racer Notebooksk. Race Chair Brian Boschma did that. Of course, he did a lot more than that behind the scenes, but I don't have a photograph of him there.

Here are Skip Allan and Brian, resting after stuffing the notebooks with Sailing Instructions, Communication Plan and miscellaneous important bits, such as the location of The Tree in Hanalei Bay. Jim Quanci s/v Green Buffalo supervised.

Philpott
06-20-2021, 09:56 PM
http://norcalsailing.com/entries/2021/06/20/shtp-weather-forecast.html

Philpott
06-21-2021, 12:15 PM
https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/2021/06/21/#breezy-start-singlehanded-transpacific-yacht-race

Fun reading from Christine Weaver, Racing Editor at Latitude

stinky
06-22-2021, 09:43 AM
Hope everything is OK on Aloha: 6554

stinky
06-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Hope everything is OK on Aloha:

Looks like a tracker glitch :)

jamottep
06-22-2021, 03:27 PM
Looks like a tracker glitch :)

If I recall correctly my tracker was glitchy too. Must be that he has the winning tracker :-)

Aussie
06-22-2021, 06:58 PM
Yes, GPS in his Iridium GO went into the weeds for one sample. Recovered on the next sample.

mike cunningham
06-22-2021, 09:09 PM
who's sailing X "bottom left" :cool:

mike cunningham
06-22-2021, 09:11 PM
Kyle's tracker is headed south again.

Aussie
06-23-2021, 08:22 AM
--- who's sailing X "bottom left" - same guy who is sailing X "top right". These two marks are using to define the Race playing field.
Both Aloha and Perplexity are sending the incorrect GPS positions from time to time. Both are using Iridium GO as their trackers - could be where the unit is placed on the boat.
Sea Wisdom and Shark on Bluegrass are also use Iridium GO tracker and are working as expected. All other boats are using Garmin inReach trackers.

Daydreamer
06-23-2021, 06:34 PM
The built in antenna on the Iridium Go will transmit through a fiberglass hull though I suspect could get sketchy during satellite transitions and various hull angles.
It won't transmit through carbon fiber.
Using the optional external antenna provides the best results.

In 2018 I used the Go for coms and backup tracker and the InReach for tracking and backup coms.
Texting was instantaneous, email pretty fast, and I only had one poor voice call that a redial took care of.

mike cunningham
06-26-2021, 02:24 PM
Showers on the foredeck, drone flying, ships passing becalmed boats, birds in bells, hemp seeds, no wind

Now that's an SHTP to remember. What fun is wind when you can be in the middle of the Pacific ocean doing 2.5 KTS (or less) headed for a place 1200 NM away...yehaa!

Philpott
06-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I'm getting excited. Got my bags packed: binocs, vhf radio, laptop and liquids in small quantity in a quartsize see through zip lock. That's the luggage in the overhead. Everything else under the seat in front of me. Got the covid test, vax card in my wallet and ... I know the secret handshake. The Hanalei River beckons ...

photo of the Waioli stream, just west of the village by Dennis Maggard

Sailor Dennis
06-28-2021, 05:45 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I'm getting excited. Got my bags packed: binocs, vhf radio, laptop and liquids in small quantity in a quartsize see through zip lock. That's the luggage in the overhead. Everything else under the seat in front of me. Got the covid test, vax card in my wallet and ... I know the secret handshake. The Hanalei River beckons ...

photo by Dennis Maggard

Philpott
07-18-2021, 10:21 AM
https://www.jibeset.net/gpsshare.php?A0=JACKY&A1=T007588480&A2=NjBmMDU5MGE0YzYxNA==&A3=359767e9b989457121761b0d782446d9

Eyrie
07-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Tree Time Sunset

Later, Including Venus

Fleet anchored in Hanalei Bay

Philpott
07-25-2021, 10:23 AM
I'm new to this yacht club business, but RYC apparently takes care of its own. John Dukat has organized a search and recover party for Green Buffalo. Here is his most recent missive:

Green Buffalo as of 0723 this AM is 403 miles out and making about 6.9 knots. Suspect he’s in the “zone of bad weather” by my calculations 403miles /6.9knots says he enters the gate in 57 hours which is 2 days + 10 hours or so so my guess is Tuesday 1730
a possible Another Girl cast off time at 1630 this will no doubt get updated if other navigators have alternative prognostications please share
for the greeting package I am planning (there a total of 3 on board) sparkling Italian water (served with twists of lemon?) Mumm Champagne
Gelato or ice cream bars Cannolis (from Gran Milan in Richmond) Fresh seasonal fruit (peaches) John

here’s what Windy says it is gusting to right now which is 35-40 so suspect it is wet and thank the boat building gods for dodgers

sleddog
07-25-2021, 10:39 AM
I'm new to this yacht club business, but RYC apparently takes care of its own. John Dukat has organized a search and recover party for Green Buffalo. Here is his most recent missive:

Green Buffalo as of 0723 this AM is 403 miles out and making about 6.9 knots. Suspect he’s in the “zone of bad weather” by my calculations 403miles /6.9knots says he enters the gate in 57 hours which is 2 days + 10 hours or so so my guess is Tuesday 1730
a possible Another Girl cast off time at 1630 this will no doubt get updated if other navigators have alternative prognostications please share
for the greeting package I am planning (there a total of 3 on board) sparkling Italian water (served with twists of lemon?) Mumm Champagne
Gelato or ice cream bars Cannolis (from Gran Milan in Richmond) Fresh seasonal fruit (peaches) John

here’s what Windy says it is gusting to right now which is 35-40 so suspect it is wet and thank the boat building gods for dodgers6742

Not sure about Windy saying 35-40. Though gale force can often be encountered in Gale Alley, looks more like N16 knots at BUFFALO's position, pleasant reaching conditions.

bobwalden
07-26-2021, 11:18 AM
Any updates on buffalo’s expected eta? Sea Star would like to join the welcome flotilla.

Philpott
07-26-2021, 11:27 AM
from John Dukat

as of 0800 the distance to Point Bonita is 229 miles 229 miles to go 157 @ 7.6 knots 21 hours…pound thru the almost gale nastiness

72 @ 6 knots 12
…the calm t’other side of the Farralones to Bonita ttl hrs to bonita 33

ETA Bonita is about 1700 tomorrow

Estimated departure time from RYC is 1600 bring a lifejacket, foulies & let’s hope you don’t need either

since this is sort of like an anchor pool anyone want to put some money down on when GB passes under the Golden Gate?

BobJ
07-26-2021, 11:47 AM
At 1014 Jibeset had him 199nm out, galloping along at eight knots. Max flood tomorrow (Pt. Diablo) is at 1245. He has fuel so even if the wind drops he'll have the hammer down.

Under the Gate by 1300 tomorrow - this is Green Buffalo we're talking about! And I'm being conservative - Ray's got him "finishing" at 1109 tomorrow.

GB will be on MarineTraffic (AIS) shortly - she appears now via satellite but I don't have that $ubscription.

bobwalden
07-27-2021, 07:43 AM
As of 0730 pt he’s ~56 miles from center span doing ~6kts.

BobJ
07-27-2021, 09:00 AM
They apparently decided to come in at a more leisurely place. Perhaps they have less fuel than they thought?

Intermission
07-27-2021, 11:52 AM
At least they will be cleaner than yesterday, from the rain I wish had fallen here.

Mountain
07-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Hi Gang,
Sorry to have missed the Tree fun. I had to hurry back to the mainland for work.
Anyone know how I can get a belt buckle?
Thanks!
Mountain

Philpott
07-31-2021, 05:20 PM
Certainly Jamie was one of our favorites in Hanalei. Why not? He's smart, charming and funny. Oh, and he and John Wilkerson bought us dinner at Tahiti Nui. There was that. Here he is having a breakfast burrito just outside the gate.

Jamie arrived back at RYC this afternoon aboard Northern Star. He brought one of the big, heavy trophies back on NS. Said he could feel its heft every time the boat dove through a wave and I believe him. I suggested he deliver it to Green Buffalo, which carried back almost every other trophy. I doubt the SHTP RC will be dragging those around again.

After going up to Seattle briefly Jamie and Northern Star will be around for a couple of weeks, over on C dock at RYC. Here he is with Bob Johnston, prior to re-delivery of the barbeque Jamie left behind on E Dock.

Philpott
08-01-2021, 03:37 PM
After spending the night in Port Townsend John Wilkerson s/v Perplexity continued south today and is safe at home in Port Madison on Bainbridge Island.

... stopped for the night because of adverse currents and to get some rest. Glad to hear Jamie made it. The trip back was long, too long at some points, but I'm already fixed on the positive memories! I never had scary weather plus the boat sails so well I almost never used the motor. I calculated that I only used about half a tank (15 gals) for the whole trip (Seattle/SF/Kauai/Seattle, including motoring slowly for a day at the end).

Great to meet you and the crew. Thanks once again for all that you did to make the race possible. I'm looking forward to wearing my new jacket!

brianb
08-24-2021, 08:54 PM
The Board has approved $$$'s to upgrade/refresh some of the SHTP trophies. Plaques were getting a bit corroded, the ordering was mysterious, likely due to the fact that the space on some trophies were running out of room, and plagues were a variety of sizes, fonts, and colors. This will cleaned up over the next two weeks. Example of problem trophy attached.

Trophies are an expensive item to haul around the planet. In future years if racers don't wish to carry them to and fro to Kauai, then we will likely bring photos and have the winners pick them up in the Bay Area.

BB

solosailor
08-25-2021, 09:28 AM
Hmmm.... I am seeing a trophy for first ULDB to finish. The SSS SSI ULDB old rule was for ultralights with what I recall was a LOA limit for a ULDB. What I do see are many ULBD (Olson 30, Hobie 33, etc) and I also see some non-ULDB like a J/120 and a very un-ULDB Open 60. I also see Sundower in 2000 won it which was a water-ballasted SC50 hull build for the BOC Challenge, certainly not ULDB from any rule I remember. Not sure what the former/current SHTP rule is for a ULDB trophy but I'm pretty sure another boat should have won that in 2000. Way old water under the bridge at this point I guess.

brianb
08-30-2021, 10:26 AM
Hmmm.... I am seeing a trophy for first ULDB to finish. The SSS SSI ULDB old rule was for ultralights with what I recall was a LOA limit for a ULDB. What I do see are many ULBD (Olson 30, Hobie 33, etc) and I also see some non-ULDB like a J/120 and a very un-ULDB Open 60. I also see Sundower in 2000 won it which was a water-ballasted SC50 hull build for the BOC Challenge, certainly not ULDB from any rule I remember. Not sure what the former/current SHTP rule is for a ULDB trophy but I'm pretty sure another boat should have won that in 2000. Way old water under the bridge at this point I guess.

I suppose all that can be corrected with Board approval. Maybe a protest is in order ? Meanwhile I am proceeding with a rebuild of the labels and the creation of a more ordered plaque placement. Hopefully it will look good at Kyle's MIssion Bay Yacht Club in San Diego, where it will be housed for the next 18 months.

Brian

BobJ
08-30-2021, 11:56 AM
As a SHTP tradition geek, this is great news to me. Thanks Brian.

Speaking of ULDBs, Kyle was helping to double-hand Bloom County this weekend.

brianb
09-02-2021, 09:48 PM
Yes, Kyle stopped by and said hello just prior to the start. I just got the plaques from the engraver.

Philpott
09-13-2021, 06:08 PM
This from Christine Weaver: https://www.latitude38.com/good-jibes-latitude-38s-podcast/

seawisdom
09-16-2021, 03:09 PM
This from Christine Weaver: https://www.latitude38.com/good-jibes-latitude-38s-podcast/

Excellent podcast from Robb and Jim! Well done, Christine! Thanks for posting this. It's like having another "Tree Time" via a podcast.

Philpott
09-16-2021, 05:40 PM
I don't know about anybody else, Will, but I would sure be interested in hearing about your progress regarding Sea Wisdom. My understanding is that you planned to fly over to Nawilwili on the 12th of this month in order to sail her to Honolulu.

How is it going for her? How is it going for you? It must be agonizing to find her still so far away and not yet in her home port?

sleddog
09-18-2021, 03:26 PM

I second this excellent podcast is informative and personal. Well done, Christine, Robb, and Jim. Interesting to hear GREEN BUFFALO experienced the most squalls of her long Transpac career, 2-8/day. And that her full length battens exerted heavy side force on the mast track and sliders eventually causing partial failure. In answer to Jim's comment near the end regarding the sacred bronze belt buckles, no, they were not a feature of the first SHTP in 1978. I do knot know when they were first awarded. Somebody knows.

seawisdom
09-20-2021, 07:17 AM
I don't know about anybody else, Will, but I would sure be interested in hearing about your progress regarding Sea Wisdom. My understanding is that you planned to fly over to Nawilwili on the 12th of this month in order to sail her to Honolulu.

How is it going for her? How is it going for you? It must be agonizing to find her still so far away and not yet in her home port?

My delivery crew was able to work their magic and replace the old Harken's upper rudder bearing with a new PVI bearing at Nawiliwili. With the new upper rudder bearing, they actually sailed Sea Wisdom from Nawiliwili to Keehi Marina, at Oahu last week (without me). At Keehi, Sea Wisdom was put on a trailer and her mast was unstepped last week. She is being shipped over to San Diego and then trucked over to KKMI with an ETA of mid October. I'm grateful of all the help I received during this process.

Philpott
09-20-2021, 03:09 PM
That's great news, Will! Since she won't be coming hone through the gate we'll have to have some other kind of welcome home party for her. Cliff is on his way home. DM and I will welcome Rainbow outside and through the gate. Will advise in case others would like to join us.
Again, wonderful news for you!

Daydreamer
09-20-2021, 10:35 PM
Will, glad to hear things are progressing!

Philpott
10-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Cliff Shaw arrived back in the bay aboard Rainbow yesterday. Dura Mater and I sailed out to greet him, moseyed around Bonita Cove for awhile, in the anchorage area, which is huge. Depth is 40-45 deep and then, quickly, shallower. Didn't know where the rocks were, so stayed along the periphery. It was a nice day out there, the waves coming back in were big and close together. A little scary for me, but not for DM. She surfed!

Cliff got caught in a gale about 300 nm offshore and it put off his return by about a week. Maybe he'll tell us about it some day? Maybe there will be an SHTP debrief some day?

Philpott
10-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Here's DM's track from Wednesday when we went out to greet Cliff. What is that huge burst of yellow? As you can see, we spent a good deal of time sailing back and forth. While we did, I made a pot of coffee and ate lunch. Could've anchored. Maybe should've. But that's so yesterday.

Thanks to Ray for the screenshot

BobJ
10-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Welcome home Cliff! It appeared the last few days weren't fun.

northwester
12-15-2021, 12:11 PM
Happy holidays to everyone involved in SHTP 2021, and especially to the race committee – Jackie, Synthia, Brian and Greg! You hold a special place in our hearts for your selfless dedication and for being such great people. See you on the water in 2022!

Perplexity, SHTP 2021.

Philpott
12-15-2021, 01:57 PM
Happy holidays to everyone involved in SHTP 2021, and especially to the race committee – Jackie, Synthia, Brian and Greg! You hold a special place in our hearts for your selfless dedication and for being such great people. See you on the water in 2022!

Perplexity, SHTP 2021.

Hi, John! Yes, the sleepover with you and Jamie remains a highlight of my SHTP! Girls in the bedroom and boys on the living room floor. Reminds me of Catholic school days. And Greg's breakfast scramble with a little of everything in it? Deeelicious! Looking forward to seeing you again at Pacific Cup Village in the summer. When do you plan to come down the coast? I'll watch for you up at the top of your mast, re-attaching something up there.

seawisdom
12-22-2021, 04:26 PM
Very well said, John and Jackie. SHTP 2021 has a special place in heart, especially the RC. Thank you all for making 2021 a year to remember. Wishing you all a happy holiday season!

Philpott
12-22-2021, 10:44 PM
Will Lee! So near and yet so far! How did the saga of Sea Wisdom end? I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to know how you are doing.

In fact, how is everybody doing? It would be awfully nice to hear from our 2021 SHTP racers before attention begins to turn toward preparations for 2023.

David Herrigel spent time in Kauai recently laying the groundwork for the arrival of 2023 weirdos and the Long Pac is (apparently) in the works. I only know this because David walks by Dura Mater on his way to Hedgehog further down on E Dock. David is the lead Project Manager for a (humongous) new Exploratorium in Omaha, Nebraska. What this means is that, in between travelling back and forth to the midwest, David is the 2023 SHTP Race Chair in his (ahem) "spare" time. Thanks, Mr Hedgehog.