PDA

View Full Version : Rules, Regs and Schedule

Ergo
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
The SSS Safety Committee, chaired by Greg Nelsen, met last might and finalized its recommendations on the SSS required equipment list for offshore races. The committee looked at a variety of documents and made a point of drawing a line between "needed" and "nice to have". Their recommendations will be acted on as soon as I can schedule an SSS board meeting - probably within two weeks.

All members of the committee are SHTP vets and former SSS Commodores/board members. They are: Greg Nelsen, Mark Deppe, Synthia Petrooska, Bob Johnson and Rob MacFarland. Thanks to all for their great work.

The biggest departure from past LP requirements will probably be that doublehanded boats must have MOB gear.

It is also worth noting that, unlike past years, we intend to inspect all boats before the race to ensure that they are in compliance.

The schedule of deadlines for registering, inspections and seminars will be posted within two weeks. Ruben Gabriel, of Sparky fame, has very recently volunteered to serve as LP Race Chair and I need to meet with him before we can roll out the details.

Bill Merrick
SSS Commodore

haulback
02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I know it seems a long way off yet, but I wonder if there has been any thought given, or decision pending, regarding start date for 2010 singlehanded transpac?? I just may come down for another try if I can get the boat ready in time

Next month we start booking our holiday schedule for 2010 holidays at work.

From my perspective, and for what it is worth, I didn't mind the mid-june start we had in '02.

I had really nice conditons for the return trip that year. Also for the guys with kids and families they get a chance to have some of the summer left when they get back home.

Jim/Haulback

Ergo
02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi Jim,

I guess the looney must be doing better than the greenback if you're still getting holidays up there. What's the immigration process like? Has Canada started building a fence on the border yet?

We haven't started thinking about 2010 but I'm glad you asked. The SHTP is the one race that moves around a bit. So, what's the collective wisdom on this? Late June or early to mid-july?

Bill Merrick

Alchera
02-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I would rather see it move back to late June, the dates just worked out better that way.

- Mark

BobJ
02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Jim you turkey, now we have to start getting all motivated again (it doesn't take much).

For current, 6/19/2010 looks the best: Max ebb (and not a huge one) at 1047; 6/12 and 6/26 show a mid-day flood.

I vote for SSB's only for check-in's (smiley thing inserted here).

haulback
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Turkey, indeed....my goodness

19 june sounds fine to me. The 18th would be better as it's my birthday, so it would be bound to bring me good luck.

What say you guys be nice to visitors next time, eh!

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
It's a term of endearment.

How were we not nice to you last time? We let you win your division. I even stopped bugging you about that longboarding thing. Now you want the start to be on your birthday.

Where does it end?

Eric Thomas
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Everyone keeps asking me if I would do it again? I had a great time. At first the answer was a little muddy but if Bob is in I think I can coax the old Ford to pull Polar Bear back to the Pacific. This time I think I will stay out there though....:)

Sparky
02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Eric, it will be great to see you back on the West Coast in the summer of 2010 for another run to paradise...since Bob is in, right? ;) I have a new ride that I'm prepping for the trip back to Hanalei, and this one should get me there a little quicker; I'm outfitting a Moore 24SC (hull #133), and it's a sweet "little" boat...I like the little boats! Hope all is well.

BobJ
02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I wish I could say "I'm in." SHTP2010 is a long shot for Ragtime!. But then I wasn't planning to go last year either . . .

How about Andy - can he be persuaded?

Thanks to Matt B. for adding this category to the board. Now we have a place to ratchet-jaw about the whole thing without gumming up the LongPac threads.

haulback
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Not that it really counts as race prep, or anything like that, but I will be hauling out next month for a while to see various boat-jobs. One of which is converting from a single to double-spreader rig.

Did not really want to spend the time to paint the spar when I had it replaced in Australia - I had planned to pull it out when I got back home to paint it at my leisure, and this is the year for it. Having put the spreaders in the water a couple of times since, I sort of think that stiffening up the rig may be a good idea for future adventures - soooo before I paint it........

Leaving any serious bottom work for the pre-race conditoning program, but will be splashing some topsides paint around.

Have been trying to figure out how to modify underwater hull form to accomadate a canting keel...........Maybe twin rudders too??????

Jim/Haulback

jfoster
02-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Not that it really counts as race prep, or anything like that, SNIP
Have been trying to figure out how to modify underwater hull form to accomadate a canting keel...........Maybe twin rudders too??????

Jim/Haulback

While you are at it, consider modifying your bow shape to that of the Ulstein X-Bow (http://www.marinetalk.com/articles-marine-companies/art/Merchant-Ulstein-X-Bow-Applications-ULS00462004TU.html) .....(grin).....

BobJ
02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't miss the name of the ship with the X-Bow - it's perfect!

Where do you FIND this stuff, John?

jfoster
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Don't miss the name of the ship with the X-Bow - it's perfect!

Where do you FIND this stuff, John?

The Bourbon Orca has no bulb, and has a slender bow design ULSTEIN X-BOW™ with an inverted flare. The bow slopes backwards instead of forwards which results in less resistance. Some of the most common accidents that occur on offshore vessels involve the sea breaking the wheelhouse’s windows. This happens because traditional hull shapes throw the sea forwards and upwards as the hull dives deeper. The tests on the model showed that almost no sea came up onto the bridge deck at all, even in extreme weather conditions with six metres significant wave height and a wave period of nine seconds. Under these conditions, the model maintained a good service speed. The large volume in the bow means that the forebody floats better and dives less when it meets waves.

With a bow shape like this, Blueberry might have made the cutoff deadline in the upwind crawl against the left over swells to Half Moon Bay in 2008 (ya think?).....grin....

Eyrie
02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
FWIW, the date for the 1st Pac Cup start has been set for Tuesday July 5th 2010.

Synthia

haulback
02-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Let's see, July 5 plus 21 days for the race means awards dinner on the 26th. Then a few days after that before heading home probably around August 1st, or a couple days after that, still has most of the boats making approach to the coast towards the last week or two of August.

I have no idea of conditions along the California coast, but one can almost guarantee, at this latitude, that the first of the autumnal lows will roll in on the coast about the middle of August. May make a difference between a smallish boat deciding to sail home, or incur greater cost of having to ship

Just a thought

Jim/Haulback

nereida
02-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Leaving any serious bottom work for the pre-race conditoning program, ....

Have been trying to figure out how to modify underwater hull form to accomodate a canting keel...........Maybe twin rudders too??????

Ok, Jim.... now pull the other one...!!!

Although we do believe you when you say you're 'serious' about the 'pre-race conditioning program' regarding the bottom work... just like last year! That worked a treat!

Maybe I should follow your example and make a point of getting over to do the race while the newly-born 'Nereida' still has a lovely smooth baby's bottom??!!!

FWIW, I would go along with a June start, rather than July, as giving a better return timing.

Ergo
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Greetings,

Subject to agreement from the Corinthian YC, the start of the 2010 SHTP will be Saturday, June 19, 2010.

Bill Merrick

nereida
03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Bill
I think that date is going to make quite a few people happy - and galvanize a lot more into action to prepare for the start line!
19th June is the exact day last year that I lost the old 'Nereida' - painful memories should be replaced by good ones if possible, don't you think? So I'll get 82 put on my hull in readiness - just in case I can get there - you never know! At least that's one easy item off the list!!
BTW, any reference to liferafts should allow for the fact that some only need servicing every 3 yrs or so (vacuum-packed ones) - so no annual certificate is normally available. Perhaps reference to an 'in-date service certificate' as a requirement would be better wording??

Back to the fitting-out tomorrow (Monday) ... still lots happening here in Sweden!

Ergo
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks, Jeanne. I really appreciate the suggestion re: liferaft certification. It's very timely in that we're about to post the race docs for the LongPac.

Best of luck with the new boat and hope to see you at the start in 2010.

Bill Merrick

nereida
03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Bill!
Have to figure out my route .... a variety of options!
Cheers,

Velocious
03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
June 20 is the day I lost my house last year:eek:. Not the luckiest day for me, but that is irrelevant from a sailing perspective.

I would vote for early July. This is simply from the practical standpoint of having the high firm up. I realize it didn't help in 2008, but on average, it should be more stable in July than in June. I will however, join in the race, no matter when it leaves, George;)

Ergo
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Corinthian YC has confirmed that June 19, 2010 is good for them. Ergo, June 19 ,2010 will be the start of the 2010 SHTP.

Bill Merrick

haulback
03-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Bill.........

Now the planning, plotting and schemeing can begin

Hope to see you all on the start line - only 471 days to go !!!!!

Jim/Haulback

Ergo
03-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Jim,

I will see you at the starting line but, unless I have another boat, probably not as a fellow TransPac racer. If I'm still sailing the current Ergo, she'll be leaving for Hawaii a couple of weeks later in the Pac Cup.

Bill

Eyrie
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
The Pacific Cup folks sent out a newsletter today announcing their upcoming Safety at Sea seminar. This is a very good seminar and loaded with great info that applies to any Trans Pacific race including the SHTP, well except for the man overboard recover part. :p For more info follow this link: http://pacificcup.org/sas2008

One very misleading detail in their newletter is that this seminar is required for the SSS TransPac. This was not the case when I participated in 2006, I did not require this in 2008 when I was RC, and I've not heard any rumblings of making this a requirement in 2010, so I think they just tossed us into the pile because the more the merrier. Er, something.

So before anyone's feathers get ruffled, I recommend that you wait until an official word comes from an official SSS person.

signed,
a past official SSS person

BobJ
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
It can't be a SHTP requirement since they scheduled the local seminar for the same day as our Corinthian Race.

But I'll make sure at least a third of my SHTP crew attends - my pet rock and whoopie cushion will go this year. I think Rob is sending the lizard.

Sincerely,
another past official SSS person

P.S. The next one is in Long Beach on 6/28 - same weekend as our Half Moon Bay Race.

jfoster
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
It can't be a SHTP requirement since they scheduled the local seminar for the same day as our Corinthian Race.

But I'll make sure at least a third of my SHTP crew attends - my pet rock and whoopie cushion will go this year. I think Rob is sending the lizard.

Sincerely,
another past official SSS person

P.S. The next one is in Long Beach on 6/28 - same weekend as our Half Moon Bay Race.

If anyone cares ....... the date they picked for this one was, allegedly, the only date available at Cal Maritime in a 4 month window. Not sure about the June date choice.

My sympathies go out to the volunteers, listed below, who end up with conflicts like this.

From what I saw a couple of years ago on the race deck for the SSS Corinthian, Michael Moradzadeh, when he was the Corinthian YC Commodore, was there for hours making sure all went as smoothly as he could help make it happen. Maybe he will arrange a better schedule for another seminar next winter.

Pacific Cup Yacht Club and Encinal Yacht Club Press Release

Contacts

California Maritime Academy – Charlie Arms-Cartee carms@csum.edu
(707) 654-1257

Pacific Cup Yacht Club – Michael Moradzadeh commodore@pacificcup.org
(415) 830-FUN-1

Encinal Yacht Club – Tom Wondolleck vicecommodore@encinal.org

BobJ
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm just joking around of course.

I would go to the seminar in Vallejo if it was likely to be required for the next SHTP, even if I had to miss the Corinthian Race. Besides, it's right next door (I live in Benicia).

Any of our board readers (bored readers?) who are doing ocean sailing should try to get to the seminar. I'm sure it is well worth it.

Bob J.

Ergo
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I guess it's always nice to be included but no, this seminar is not a requirement for entering the SHTP. We haven't posted ar even looked at the requirements for 2010. I'll get in touch with the Pac Cup folks and thank them for the invitation to attend because it's probably a good use of a day for anyone planning a trip off shore but, it is not an SSS requirement.

Bill Merrick
SSS Commodore

jfoster
03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I realize that a valid Ham License is not a requirement but foe anyone planning to venture off shore it is a convenience. Here is an announcement for the next Ham Cram. They occur in the same place on weekends through the year.

John Foster
K16HME (licensed with Ham Crams to Extra class after a 50 year lapse)
Blueberry, Nonsuch 22 Sail #48

EARN YOUR RADIO LICENSE IN ONE DAY!
Sunday, June 13, 2009
8:45AM SHARP! - 3:00PM

San Francisco County Fair Building Hall of Flowers – Rec Room
9th Avenue and Lincoln Way
There will be a General cram for Techs same place & time.

Ample free parking. Great lunch restaurants nearby.

Bring 2 IDs (one with picture), a couple of pens and
$20 cash for Technician study materials, tips, and test OR
$40 cash for General study materials, lecture, and test OR
$14 cash for testing only (Extra, Morse code tests available too)

8:45AM Check-in for study. Don’t be early or late. Dropins OK.
If you want test only (no preparation onsite) come at 2PM.
8:50 Beginners’ tips, donuts 9:00 Self-study starts, coffee
1:30 Exams begin 3:00 Last tests start
No advance preparation needed for beginners, we do it all in 6 hours. General exam class begins 9:05AM (if you are already licensed or have already thoroughly mastered the Technician exam material).
Questions? hamcrams.com Next test date: September 13, 2009

Passing this test will get you a ham radio license from the FCC good for 10 years. You will be able to use:
O local repeaters for Bay Area communication
O Echolink for Internet-based radio
O satellite and moon-bounce
O international shortwave frequencies for global communication!

Come and join the great world-wide community of ham radio.

Current sponsors/supporters:
Auxiliary Emergency Radio Organization (AERO)
Bay Area Red Cross
Salvation Army PLEASE POST
How our cramming system works: John Portune, W6NBC, discovered and Ross Peterson developed and perfected a technique based on the fact that short term memory was a fantastic aid for retaining answers to test questions for an hour or two. From this Ross devised the famous “ham cram” (rapid scanning of questions and answers for just a few hours, then sitting down and taking the test). His method has consistently achieved pass rates of 75-95% and higher.
This method does NOT teach you how to be a radio operator, or even the material which underlies the test questions. This method focuses on your PASSING the test. This is Step 1 in becoming a ham radio operator.
Step 2 is to learn how to use a radio. We sell an inexpensive book to help with Step 2 right after the exam. Step 3 is to buy a radio, and Step 4 is to get on the air, and get experience checking into nets that are used for preparedness and drill. As you progress in Step 4, you may wish to serve as net control for a net some evening.
But first things first--get your license. And that is what this day’s activities are all about. Because the test focuses on SHORT TERM memory, there is little purpose in getting the technician test materials in advance.
Study tips: If you want to do some advance preparation, get hold of a high-school physics book and read the part about the relationship between wavelength and frequency and the relationship between current, voltage, resistance and power.
Or: Wavelength x Frequency = Velocity
For radio waves, we use the velocity of light, 300 million meters per second. If we measure frequency in Megahertz (1 million cycles per second), then the formula becomes meters x megahertz= 300. So if I ask you what is the wave-length of a 150 Megahertz signal, the answer is 2m. If you need to convert meters to feet, multiply by 3 and add 10%. A half-wave antenna has one-half wavelength elements. A conventional dipole has two 1/4 wavelength elements.
Current (rate of flow) = amperes (amps) = I
Voltage (pressure) = volts = EMF = E (for electromotive force)
Resistance = ohms = R I=E/R
Power = watts = P P=I x E

Important news on Upgrading to GENERAL: If you now hold a Technician license and you would like GENERAL privileges you need to pass the General Element of the test. You will not be required to learn Morse code any more to get a general license. If you now hold a Technician license but haven’t passed General yet, come to any session with a copy and the original of your license and take our GENERAL cram ($40, includes class, study guide, and testing). It’s essential you first refresh your high school physics material on waves and the relationship between wave-length, frequency and voltage, plus current, resistance, capacitance and inductance, and power (the electricity chapter, DC and AC).

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------

haulback
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Kinda good it's not a requirement, as it is a bit of a ways from here.

Maybe Dogbark and I could have made a road trip out of it, though.

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I thought a Ham Cram was one of those breakfasts at Denny's.

(Sorry - board's been a little slow lately.)

An interesting thread on S/A about the guys that snap-rolled the J/80 on Saturday, outside the Gate - some arm-chair quarterbacking but also some good input. Glad the guys are safe. I'm not trying to start a thread on that here - just sayin'

jfoster
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
I thought a Ham Cram was one of those breakfasts at Denny's.

(Sorry - board's been a little slow lately.)

An interesting thread on S/A about the guys that snap-rolled the J/80 on Saturday, outside the Gate - some arm-chair quarterbacking but also some good input. Glad the guys are safe. I'm not trying to start a thread on that here - just sayin'

The SA topic link is shown below

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88193&st=0&p=2204526&#entry2204526

John Hayward
05-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Boy, I jumped in today for the first time in many months and look at what I missed!! June 19th sounds good to me. Sounds like Jim is going and wants to increase his lead over me this race. Well Jim, all I have to do to get ready is replace a bulkhead, boom, traveler, dodger, autopilot, radar and a few hundred other miscellaneous things. Now we need to make sure Jeannie gets here for this race and the General regrets his "this is my last transpac" decision and Mark has another bout of forgetfullness and goes again and NaNa goes and makes it on the first try this time and so on.

The June 19th start makes my plans to go to Puget Sound/Alaska after the race more viable than they turned out to be last year.

Looking forward to more good times under the tree.

John Hayward
Dream Chaser

FRakaFDR
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Since I did the SHTP in 04 I was looking forward to doing another. I missed the '06 and '08 editions but 10 looked good. But.... 19 June? "THE" TransPac starts from 29 June to 5 July (in '09). The PacificCup starts 5 July '10. the Vic Maui starts July 1 thru 7. And you guys are starting on the 19th? That is 3 and possibly 4 weeks before the N Pacific high becomes stable and the trades develop. In '04 which started on 26 June, the trades developed the day after I finished giving the slower boats a couple of days of surfing that I didn't have. On the 19th in '10 it could be a beat all the way to Hanalei Bay. Maybe I should start looking for somebody to go with me in the PacificCup doublehanded.

Frank Ross, Prankster

tiger beetle
06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Since I did the SHTP in 04 I was looking forward to doing another. I missed the '06 and '08 editions but 10 looked good. But.... 19 June? "THE" TransPac starts from 29 June to 5 July (in '09). The PacificCup starts 5 July '10. the Vic Maui starts July 1 thru 7. And you guys are starting on the 19th? That is 3 and possibly 4 weeks before the N Pacific high becomes stable and the trades develop. In '04 which started on 26 June, the trades developed the day after I finished giving the slower boats a couple of days of surfing that I didn't have. On the 19th in '10 it could be a beat all the way to Hanalei Bay. Maybe I should start looking for somebody to go with me in the PacificCup doublehanded.

Frank Ross, Prankster
Hi Frank - good to hear from you.

At this point the SSS TransPac is slated to start mid-June rather than late-June. It is impossible to state with any degree of certainty what the weather pattern will be on any particular day a year in advance; you're correct that the odds increase in your favor of having the Pacific High set up in a position advantageous to a run from Hawaii to Kauai - and you need to recognize that this does not guarantee that the High will be anywhere useful on a particular day, whether it be in June or July.

Based on your comment of requiring 3-4 weeks after June 19th for the High to set up, then all races are starting too early. Based on my point, it's a crap shoot - no one can guarantee anything.

If you truly want to have a particular set of weather circumstances to appear before departing San Francisco, then it would be best to arrive in the Bay, get the boat all set, and then sit tight and wait for your weather window to open. It could happen Tuesday, Thursday, the following week...

The Pacific High, even when it is a nice stable tight High, continually wobbles about the eastern Pacific basin, and in any given 5 day period may shift from Hawaii up towards Kodiak and down towards San Francisco.

What we do know is we'd like to start the race on a Saturday, at a specific time of day, with the current going in the right direction (we can predict that accurately), with the Corinthian Yacht Club in a position to help host the start - and June 19th looks to be a pretty good day for that.

It would be fun to see you on the start line. If you'd rather doublehand the Pacific Cup, go for it and have a great time!

- rob

FRakaFDR
06-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the reply Rob.

I guess that I make the mistake of looking at the race from the perspective of a racer only. SSS obviously has other requirements that must be addressed.

I agree that the weather can be a crap-shoot, but predictions are now much better than when us "old-timers" started. The conventional thinking is that the weather is the same for all boats, but that doesn't hold up when some boats get there in 14 days and other boats in the same class take 16 days. Weather stability is what creates a level playing field. However, as you suggest, stability may not occur even in the first weeks of July.

Frank Ross, Prankster

dogbark
06-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Just a quick look at the weather for this years Transpac shows nothing is certain if we wait until July to start. Granted it is from LA but it doesn't look fast for the earliest starters. Less than 12 months! Cheers, Al

FRakaFDR
07-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi Al;
Have another look at the weather today (7 July). Looks a little more reasonable doesn't it?

Frank Ross, Prankster

dogbark
07-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey Frank, Good to hear from you. Yep, it looks a lot better now, but wait a week or two and then see. High is purported to split up again. My comment was only to emphasize nothing is certain when it comes to the weather on our course. Hope to still be there next June. Al

BobJ
07-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Having done the last two "slow" races I'd like to see a better-established High as much as anyone. (Especially if I have to keep racing against those pesky ultralights!)

I ran the current tables again and assuming we stay with a Saturday noon start, we have the best current for getting out into the ocean on the date we set (6/19). 7/03 is second best but the slow boats would suffer, since noon at the Gate is the start of the flood and max flood can average 4 knots. I know the current is only one consideration and we'd rather have wind once we're out there.

Assuming we stay with 6/19, I'd consider moving the start up an hour (to 11:00). Better use of the current that day, and it gives us another hour to get out through the shipping lanes before it gets dark. (It seemed like we were all milling around waiting to start anyway.)

I know it sounds like I'm doing the race in 2010 - still a long shot for me but one can hope!

tiger beetle
07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I know it sounds like I'm doing the race in 2010 - still a long shot for me but one can hope!

Are we supposed to slap you upside the head with a wet fish? No wait, that was Mark.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, try the fish on Mark first. If he agrees to race I'll redouble my efforts to get to the line. (No pressure or anything.)

Stupid economy . . . anyone need some accounting or tax work?

Alchera
07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh Nooooo... not the wet fish!