PDA

View Full Version : Who is planning to do the 2009 LongPac?

dhusselman
04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Who is planning to do the 2009 LongPac?
It's fun to know who is going...
Dirk - Xpression

BobJ
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Since I'd like to get (way) back out in the ocean and the boat is already equipped for it, I plan to do it. But I will make a last-minute decision to stay home if the conditions are questionable.

The night I turned around out at 126 40 was pretty unpleasant. Don't take this race lightly - some have said it is harder on you and the boat than the SH TransPac, and I tend to agree.

Alchera
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I'll be going so long as the weather isn't really bad.

Dirk, are you going? I'm pretty sure Rob is planning to as well, we could recreate the LongPac of 2003! (Well, except for the part where you got becalmed up at Duxbury, but I'm sure you won't do that again!)

- Mark/Alchera

Critter
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm planning on it.
Max

tiger beetle
04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Beetle is planning to go, weather depending - as Mark mentions.

And this time we have a radar (colour no less!), so I can keep everyone else awake by calling out on the VHF where those without radar are relative to the Marin rocky shoreline as we drift about in what I believe was the foggiest conditions I have yet to be in. I distinctly remember not being able to see the bow pulpit unless I walked half way to the mast. Thanks much to Dirk for keeping me posted throughout the night on how close I was to the rocks. Several times I came extremely close to turning on the motor and getting out of there; it's not good when you can hear the water washing up on the rocks yet you cannot see the rocks...

Also - do NOT sail into the corner to avoid the flood - much better to hitch back and forth along the four fathom shoal awaiting the breeze. And Duxbury is right out!

- rob/beetle

dhusselman
04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
However I will stay away from Duxbury for sure!
I need to get out on the water. I haven't been racing for 2-3 years.
The first one will be the Farallones. Let's see if I can get my sea legs and boat-handling skills back.

I'm looking forward to the company of Mark and Rob during this race again.

Dirk - Xpression

glythcott
04-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm going to join the fleet this year.. Its my time.

What's the deal with Duxbury?

George/TAZ!!

dhusselman
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Duxbury? Go there on the way back and you will find out.. :-)
Many years ago Mark (Alchera) got stuck there in a wind hole, while others picked up the breeze and went on to finish. Mark tells everyone who wants to hear to stay away from Duxbury. In the 2003 race Mark, Rob (tigerbeetle) and myself got stuck with little wind and a strong ebb tide, I ended up at Duxbury and got stuck. Mark was the first one to finish, staying close the Gate, Rob finished after picking up the breeze, I was stuck for a few more frustrating hours, which cost me first place.

Don't end up at Duxbury!!!

Rainbow
04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I plan to do the Longpac.

My boat is a Crowther 10m cruising catamaran lengthened to just under 36'. Looking forward to meeting and sailing with you all!

Regards,
Cliff Shaw
Rainbow

Coyote
05-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes, I also plan on doing the LongPac. I am working on installing an AIS, new masthead LED, etc.

A bit nervous about my first SSS overnight, but one thing I know, I will be in capable company, with my trusted fellow SSS racers!

Sparky
05-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Okay, so who's "officially" in? I wish I was, but other duties call. All the entry forms are posted for your reference, so please review and complete. We're having a LongPac meeting on June 9 at 18:30 at Oakland YC. Looking forward to seeing you there.

tiger beetle
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Okay, so who's "officially" in? I wish I was, but other duties call. All the entry forms are posted for your reference, so please review and complete. We're having a LongPac meeting on June 9 at 18:30 at Oakland YC. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Hi Sparky -

Tiger Beetle intends to race singlehanded, weather depending. I'm not officially in as race entries are not due until July 15, and I intend to enter as a non-sponsored SSS member at that time. I was also intending to schedule Beetle's equipment inspection at that time, as per RRC Rule 6.2. Based on your note in the LongPac Forum it appears that you want inspections to be *completed* by July 15 - not merely scheduled. Which is correct?

I will be at the Tuesday June 9 LongPac meeting at OYC.

- rob/beetle

Sparky
05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Rob,

Race Committee would like inspections to be "scheduled" by July 15. As much as we would like all the inspections to be completed by then, more than likely we'll have a couple inspections take place just prior to the race, which should make inspectors really happy. Thanks for catching this, you don't miss a thing.

Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Wylieguy
05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm planning on entering "NANCY," sailing doublehanded - and as with others the weather conditions will be a factor in going. It's preparing for the PacCup rather than the SSS race next year, however. This is all dependent on getting the boat ready - lots of things to do between now and inspection time.
Pat Broderick - "NANCY" Wyliecat 30

Sparky
07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
26 final entries for the LongPac race, and division splits will be determined shortly. Looks like we have a lot of sportboats this year...and sizes of boats ranging from 21 feet (mini transat) to 49 ft. LOA. Plus, the skippers -with the exception of a couple- will have transponders on their boats so we can see where they roam; we will be utilizing the same equipment that was used for the Coastal Cup, and are very excited about it!

Stay tuned...

dhusselman
07-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Bummer, I cannot make it this year...:(