PDA

View Full Version : SPOT requirement for LongPac?

AlanH
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
What with the recent issues over safety and rescues, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't institute a requirement for a SPOT check-in? Retail price is about $150, and $100 a year for the service. I hate to spend more money, but....

Thinking on my feet, here...

This could quickly become unmanageable for very large races, with floods of e-mail rolling in. However, for the LongPac, we'd have maybe 20-25 boats, and that's do-able. It might be a challenge for the SHF, with 30-40 boats.

I'm thinking this only is a requirement for races outside the Golden Gate, but within broadcast range. So for the SSS, just the LongPac and SHF qualify since the globalstar satellite system doesn't cover the whole SHTP route and we have other systems in place for the SHTP.

It doesn't make sense if the thing doesn't work, so that might mean there had to be a mandatory SPOT check-in within a certain time-limit before a race start. Let's say 24 hours before the start, but no later than 2 hours before the start....No ultra-last minute check-ins..

Competitors would have to make the RC's e-mail address a SPOT check-in pre-set. Racers are required to check in every 4 hours.... 6 hours? ...this is using the "I'm OK" check-in.

If a racer activates the 911 call for help, the system contacts the RC as well as your other emergency contact. This doesn't replace an EPIRB, but on the EPIRB there's no indication that the sourcing boat is in a race, and the SAR people won't have a clue.

I'm thinking of the SPOT and the EPIRB as sort of the one-two punch... they're complementary.

Thoughts?

How about not requiring them for the LongPac, but for any racers that have them, using the 2009 LongPac as an "audition" for the device?

tiger beetle
04-07-2009, 08:00 PM
What with the recent issues over safety and rescues, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't institute a requirement for a SPOT check-in? Retail price is about $150, and $100 a year for the service. I hate to spend more money, but....

Before proposing a solution, I'm interested in knowing what the problem is you are attempting to solve, and then consider what the best solution(s) might be.

I see no value in telling RC that I'm OK; that's presumed.

- rob

AlanH
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
The problem is the current issue with the Coast Guard being concerned about nearshore racing safety in light of the Daisy disaster last year, and the recent rescue of our friends off of the J-80 in the DH Farallones. There's a lot of concern being voiced from the office on Government Island.

I do not relish the idea of adding yet MORE "kit" and expense to our boats. More "stuff" does not equal "more safe". Also, the SPOT is not totally reliable. I got that. We already have a VHF 'net out there between the boats during the race, with (usually) someone e-mailing or using the SSB to get positions back to the RC once or twice a day. If I was going to vote to require yet another piece of electronic kit on the boats I'd vote for an AIS receiver long before the SPOT, personally.

But if the choice is to put on another $150 piece of electronic schtuff, and keep our offshore racing permits in place, or NOT put on that requirement and lose the permits, then I think we oughtta talk about it. I'm not sold on the idea, BTW, I just wanted to bring it up for discussion.

tiger beetle
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
The problem is the current issue with the Coast Guard being concerned about nearshore racing safety in light of the Daisy disaster last year, and the recent rescue of our friends off of the J-80 in the DH Farallones. There's a lot of concern being voiced from the office on Government Island.

OK, so what concern is being voiced?

I was at a meeting that involved YRA and the SSS Board to discuss the concerns mentioned by USCG to the YRA regarding local ocean racing. The upshot of that meeting was the USCG desired that the SSS have a more clearly stated communications methodology between USCG and the SSS RC.

The concern appeared to have nothing to do with any requirement regarding what should be carried on a boat.

- rob

AlanH
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Honestly, I don't think the SPOT would do much of anything for actual safety in the Gulf or on the LongPac. It would be a "gesture" towards the "authorities" that we were "doing something about race communication".

While a SPOT is a nifty thing, and heck it can't HURT to have one, I can think of other electronic gizmos that would contribute more to safety....AIS is one, at least on any race where you're solo have have to sleep, and I have to agree with Rob on one thing...requiring masthead VHF antennas is another. VHF communication is REALLY important out past the Gate, and it just makes sense to me that if you go out there, you just suck it up and put that 2 pound antenna as high as you can get it....

...with a backup on the rail, or somewhere else lower down.

Nobody said anything in favor of the SPOT, so NEVER MIND! :D

Wylieguy
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
About emergency communications on the LongPac. The Coast Guard will have list of all entries with contact information. Since a 406 EPIRB is a requirement for the race the CG will also know participating boats are 406 equipped. (This will make them happy!)
It's important to have the 406 information up-to-date (a borrowed EPIRB should be re-registered).
I'm planning on doing the race and I think I'll be taking along a SPOT so I can keep the home front informed about where I am and that I'm okay. If the LongPac Committee wants me to include them I will do so. They are pretty inexpensive little devices.
Pat Broderick - "NANCY" (the one who'll be receiving info about my whereabouts.

Sparky
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
SPOT devices will not be a requirement for the LongPac. However, the RC will accept a SPOT satellite google map of your coordinates, along with your detailed qualifier log as a valid means of proving where you sailed.

I used a SPOT messenger device for my qualifier last year and it worked great. The google map was straight forward and it helped me with putting together my qualifier log for the race committee. My boat was pretty wet inside after a week of not so pleasant conditions, so I had to rely on my GPS and SPOT device to jot down where I went. Unfortunately, I also ruined my newly purchased charts...just an FYI in making efforts to keep things as dry as possible.

Ruben Gabriel
LongPac RC Chair

BobJ
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
SPOT devices will not be a requirement for the LongPac. However, the RC will accept a SPOT satellite google map of your coordinates, along with your detailed qualifier log as a valid means of proving where you sailed.

Hi Ruben,

Regarding a "valid means of proving where you sailed," are you referring to the qualifier log required to enter the SH TransPac?

I don't believe there has ever been a requirement to prove you reached 126 40 to be scored in the LongPac. Some of us took a digital photo of our GPS screen to prove it, but I don't think proof is required for the race.

Could you clarify this please?

jfoster
04-09-2009, 09:17 PM
About emergency communications on the LongPac. The Coast Guard will have list of all entries with contact information. Since a 406 EPIRB is a requirement for the race the CG will also know participating boats are 406 equipped. (This will make them happy!)
It's important to have the 406 information up-to-date (a borrowed EPIRB should be re-registered).
I'm planning on doing the race and I think I'll be taking along a SPOT so I can keep the home front informed about where I am and that I'm okay. If the LongPac Committee wants me to include them I will do so. They are pretty inexpensive little devices.
Pat Broderick - "NANCY" (the one who'll be receiving info about my whereabouts.

It used to be hard to find a 406 EPIRB under $500, now they can be had at various places for under $300.

For example the MCMURDO FastFind 210 GPS Personal Location Beacon. Only $299.99 USD some places and $283. in another. Price matching usually includes shipping cost so it is nearly a wash for the local outlets to hand you one. This is a cell phone sized 406 EPIRB including a GPS that you tie on to each guy on deck at night.

Another, for me, must have night time item also on a lanyard is the GREATLAND LASER LLC Rescue Laser Light for $99.99 USD. You point it towards another boat and the result is a bright red line pointing straight back at you.

John Foster
http://nonsuch22blueberry.blogspot.com/ (http://nonsuch22blueberry.blogspot.com/)

Sparky
04-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Bob,

I wasn't aware that proof of sailing to 126 40 was not a requirement upon completion of the LongPac. I would welcome past competitors or race committee to help me better understand what exactly was provided to show the course was actually sailed. A qualifier log, digital photo of GPS screen, or SPOT google map all seem to be a reasonable means of showing where you went. I know this race is unorthodox by design, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

tiger beetle
04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi Bob,

I wasn't aware that proof of sailing to 126 40 was not a requirement upon completion of the LongPac. I would welcome past competitors or race committee to help me better understand what exactly was provided to show the course was actually sailed. A qualifier log, digital photo of GPS screen, or SPOT google map all seem to be a reasonable means of showing where you went. I know this race is unorthodox by design, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

The RC presumes that the racers complete the course as required, much like any other race. When a skipper states they completed the course, it is accepted as truth.

- rob