PDA

View Full Version : You activated your EPIRB… now what?

jfoster
04-10-2009, 08:00 AM
The Navagear (http://www.navagear.com/2009/04/you-activated-your-epirb-now-what/) site explores this question.

April 9th, 2009 · by Tim Flanagan, Managing Editor

An excellent write-up (http://www.cgblog.org/2009/04/you-activated-your-epirb-now-what.html) by Ryan Erickson over at the Unofficial Coast Guard Blog. This is must-read material for anybody carrying an EPIRB aboard.

Have you ever wondered exactly how one actually gets rescued after they pull the trigger on their 406mhz Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)? Or what about if you happen to be that unlucky soul who didn’t register their EPIRB?

Well I thought I would run down the quick and dirty of what happens when the Search and Rescue system is activated by the use of an EPIRB. Click through to read the entire thing (http://www.cgblog.org/2009/04/you-activated-your-epirb-now-what.html). The Unofficial Coast Guard Blog is a tremendous resource, but I can’t emphasize enough how valuable pieces like this one, in particular, can be.

Mr. Erickson has the experience to know what he’s talking about, but since the blog remains “unofficial”, he isn’t obliged to stick to the official party line. You get the whole story. So read it.
As mentioned in a Longpac thread, it used to be hard to find a 406 EPIRB under $500, now they can be had at various places for under $300.

For example the MCMURDO FastFind 210 GPS Personal Location Beacon (http://www.fastfindplb.com/). Only $299.99 USD some places and $283. in another. Price matching usually includes shipping cost so it is nearly a wash for the local outlets to hand you one. This is a cell phone sized 406 EPIRB including a GPS that you tie on to each guy on deck at night.

Another, for me, must have night time item also on a lanyard is the GREATLAND LASER LLC Rescue Laser Light (https://www.greatlandlaser.com/index.php) for $99.99 USD. You point it towards another boat and the result is a bright red line pointing straight back at you.

John Foster
http://nonsuch22blueberry.blogspot.com/

tiger beetle
04-10-2009, 09:23 AM
As mentioned in a Longpac thread, it used to be hard to find a 406 EPIRB under $500, now they can be had at various places for under $300.

For example the MCMURDO FastFind 210 GPS Personal Location Beacon.

John raises a valid point; it used to be that a 406 EPIRB was implicitly a marine device with some fairly specific attributes - it floated, it ran for 48 hours, designed to work in the marine environment, and was registered with NOAA.

With the proliferation of smaller, non-marine beacons (e.g. the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)), perhaps it is time to consider whether or not the smaller PLB 406 EPIRB's meet SSS race requirements.

My suggestion is that PLB's do not - for example the Fast Find unit mentioned by John does not float. It might make sense to further state the functional features an acceptable EPIRB should have, much as we do with life rafts, such as: waterproof, floats, operates for a minimum of 48 hours. We already require the EPIRB be registered.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
04-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I posted my question about the response method and delay for a PLB signal vs. an EPIRB signal. Here's the author's response:

"The use of a PLB over an EPIRB may take longer for the Coast Guard to respond*. The reason for this is that all PBL's, in general, are the responsibility of the AFRCC (Air Force Rescue Coordination Center) as they were originally intended for those, as you mentioned, that ski or go hiking and general land activity. Land (dry earth) is the responsibility of the ARFCC over the Coast Guard. That could slow down the process of the Coast Guard responding, however, this is not always the case. If the signal emitting from the PLB is a good one and the satellites can easily determine that it is over water and not land we, the USCG, should get a call immediately from the AFRCC to take the case. We too will should also receive the signal where we can determine it to be over water or land.

My \"personal\" advice: if you know you're going on the water have an registered EPIRB with you; however, the use of a PLB, also registered, is a lot better than nothing (and usually cheaper).

I hope this helps." ~Ryan

Ryan Erickson's article also makes it clear that a unit with integrated GPS could drastically reduce the response time vs. one without integrated GPS. If they don't get your position on the first pass, he says it is two hours before they get another chance!

Note the distinction between integrated GPS (GPS in the PLB/EPIRB) vs. one with a GPS interface (it gets the coordinates from your separate GPS). I nearly bought the latter type because it was cheaper, but what happens if the EPIRB and GPS are separated before the coordinates get transferred?

If you're in the water, that hand-held VHF is sounding pretty good!

* See updated information in Richard's article later in this thread, under the paragraph "Are the expected delays different for a PLB than for an EPIRB?"

Alchera
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Interesting article. It would seem if you're going to buy an EPIRB, getting one with an integrated GPS is the way to go, and then don't forget to register it!

The other thing that seems obvious to me is that EPIRBS are not good solutions for someone who finds himself swimming in the cold waters of the San Francisco area. A swimmer will succumb to the cold long before any rescue assets arrive, even with a GPS position.

I'm now firmly in the waterproof handheld VHF camp - I'm going to make sure it's on my person at all times.

- Mark

jfoster
04-10-2009, 12:54 PM
John raises a valid point; it used to be that a 406 EPIRB was implicitly a marine device with some fairly specific attributes - it floated, it ran for 48 hours, designed to work in the marine environment, and was registered with NOAA.

With the proliferation of smaller, non-marine beacons (e.g. the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)), perhaps it is time to consider whether or not the smaller PLB 406 EPIRB's meet SSS race requirements.

My suggestion is that PLB's do not - for example the Fast Find unit mentioned by John does not float. It might make sense to further state the functional features an acceptable EPIRB should have, much as we do with life rafts, such as: waterproof, floats, operates for a minimum of 48 hours. We already require the EPIRB be registered.
- rob/beetle
Rob is correct. More detailed information can be seen in their downloadable PDF version of their manual. http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/what_is_fast_find/pdf/manual.pdf They clearly state:

A Fast Find PLB is not an ELT or an EPIRB and does not
meet the regulatory requirements for an ELT or an EPIRB.

For me, the PLB, on a tether attached to me, a rescue laser, and a hand held VHF also on tethers, all tucked into my Mustang Coverall Flotation & Worksuit :: MS2075 (http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=286&mc=78) , allow me a certain sense of security when I race Blueberry in near coastal events such as the Half Moon Bay race. Just as my Nonsuch 22 Blueberry, with its small cockpit drains and huge cockpit is not as safe as the open cockpit design of the Wyliecat 30, so too a canister raft, a proper ditch bag and full sized EPIRB would be much safer for me than my suit and pouch of tethered safety gear.

As for race requirements, they are what they are for really good reasons.

John
Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, sail#48 (http://nonsuch22blueberry.blogspot.com/)

haulback
04-10-2009, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE...... For me, the PLB, on a tether attached to me, a rescue laser, and a hand held VHF also on tethers, all tucked into my Mustang Coverall Flotation & Worksuit [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a LOT of bits of string.......you may not drown....but you could get strangled.......

Jim/Haulback

Alchera
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Sounds like a LOT of bits of string.......you may not drown....but you could get strangled.......
Jim/Haulback

Or worse and ironic, you could get hung up on all that string during some maneuver and trip and fall overboard as a result! ;-)

- Mark

AlanH
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
The beacon requirements for sailing to Hawaii, and sailing to the Farallones are different.

If I'm in the Gulf of the Farallones, I want the Coasties to know *exactly* where I am as fast as possible and if the beacon only broadcasts for 12 hours that's fine, 'cause if they (or another competitor) haven't gotten me in about 2-3 hours, I'm dead anyway. I want the fastest data transfer possible to the Coasties...and that means a PRB with integral GPS. It would sure be nice if that sucker floated.

If I'm 1200 miles into a race to Hawaii, then if it takes the Coasties 2 more hours to figure out exactly where I am, it really doesn't matter, since it will probably take many, many hours to divert a ship to come pick me up. What I want is an EPIRB that's pretty darned accurate, but broadcasts for a LONG, LONG time so that the Coast Guard knows where I'm drifting to. In other words, I want a full fledged, floating EPIRB, with or without GPS that pumps out signal for two bleedin days..

Jonathan Gutoff
04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I also thought the Standard Horizon VHF with GPS and DSC would be a good choice. 6 watts would reach the Coast Guard wouldn't it? It seems a local distress signal would be faster than bouncing off satellites and such.
http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=DB09EE62D98A27B5C8942B922E30709C&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

tiger beetle
04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I also thought the Standard Horizon VHF with GPS and DSC would be a good choice. 6 watts would reach the Coast Guard wouldn't it?

In a word, no. A 6" rubber antenna in your hand, attached to a 5 watt radio, has perhaps 4 miles of range (somtimes 6), assuming that you're standing on the deck. This is insufficient to get picked up by the USCG antennae unless they are quite close to you. From a bit of personal experience, that antenna doesn't do much for you 6 miles out the Gate.

If you wish to be really heard, you want to maximize your line of sight range - which means putting an antenna as high as you possibly can. This would usually be the top of the mast - much better line of sight range.

- rob/beetle

tiger beetle
04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I want the fastest data transfer possible to the Coasties...and that means a PRB with integral GPS.

I disagree. A 'PRB' (never heard of it, I assume you meant PLB) has a tiny little antenna that may or may not be above the water at any given moment; by way of comparison, consider this selection chart of ACR EPIRB's and ask yourself, which one has the tallest antenna and the most robust battery?

http://www.pyacht.com/ACR-EPIRB-Selection.pdf

- rob/beetle

BobJ
04-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I also thought the Standard Horizon VHF with GPS and DSC would be a good choice. 6 watts would reach the Coast Guard wouldn't it? It seems a local distress signal would be faster than bouncing off satellites and such.

Jonathan, that looks ideal for what we're talking about (to keep attached to you or in a ditch bag). $212 (at Defender) seems a bargain for what you're getting. I've had a HX460S for 8 years and it has done everything I needed it to - they're great radios.

Rob, that chart at PYacht is helpful. It looks like the AquaFix PLB has an integral GPS and it floats. I would still prefer a true EPIRB for the boat but if someone was intent on having a PLB in addition, that looks like a possibility. I'll try to find a downloadable brochure to see how the antenna works. I borrowed (re-registered) a McMurdo "FastFind Plus" 3-4 years ago. It had a flimsy, folding antenna that had to be kept upright, and it was supposed to be "set level, preferably elevated on a rock" when transmitting - a bit disconcerting in a MOB scenario.

Critter
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
It looks like the AquaFix PLB has an integral GPS and it floats. I would still prefer a true EPIRB for the boat but if someone was intent on having a PLB in addition, that looks like a possibility. I'll try to find a downloadable brochure to see how the antenna works.
Bob, I have an AquaFix PLB. I think it has a decent antenna - it's a cupped ribbon (like a tape measure) that wraps around the perimeter of the case. As I recall (haven't looked at it since last season), when you take the unit out of its carrier the antenna springs free, then you have to rotate it so it's pointing upward.
On the other hand, they advise holding the unit face up so that the GPS antenna (internal) gets a good view. That could be a bit awkward if you're bobbing in the water.

Max

Libations Too
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I disagree. A 'PRB' (never heard of it, I assume you meant PLB) has a tiny little antenna that may or may not be above the water at any given moment; by way of comparison, consider this selection chart of ACR EPIRB's and ask yourself, which one has the tallest antenna and the most robust battery?

http://www.pyacht.com/ACR-EPIRB-Selection.pdf

- rob/beetle

It seems like there are a couple of situations to consider: (1) I'm on the boat and it's sinking (or I'm in the life raft after gathering my gear in an orderly fashion), and (2) I'm in the water and the boat is sailing away on its own.

In the first situation the EPIRB is obviously the right solution offshore, and perhaps the EPIRB with handheld VHF if near shore. In the second situation I think I'd opt for the PLB. Rob, given your estimate of the range of a handheld VHF wouldn't the PLB be the better choice for "on my person" gear for the second scenario? (all assuming singlehanded sailing). True, the VHF might raise another passing boat, but that only works if the other boat is monitoring the radio and can then find you. The Coasties seem like the safe bet.

I find it informative that the recent Heatwave crew ended up losing both their handheld and their light before final rescue. Perhap's John's strings and tethers are worth considering. What type of response would have resulted if the guys were both in the water and were unable to use the capsized boat as a platform to get the radio antenna up above the waves?

tiger beetle
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM
It seems like there are a couple of situations to consider: (1) I'm on the boat and it's sinking (or I'm in the life raft after gathering my gear in an orderly fashion), and (2) I'm in the water and the boat is sailing away on its own.

Hi Richard -

To paraphrase Haulback, the only reason to wear a life jacket while singlehanding is to have something to strap the pistol to - cause that's what you'll want after falling over board in the middle of the Pacific. Much better to have a harness & tether.

If a singlehander did go overboard in the Gulf of the Farallones and watched the boat sail away, I'd want a life jacket and a VHF radio. There's at least a slim chance that someone could find you before hypothermia sets in.

A PLB doesn't have a good antenna for use from low in the water, and most likely your competitors won't have a PLB homing antenna onboard. You might get lucky and raise somebody on the radio, and that's probably your best shot. A PLB may be a good tool, and I would look into how well it works when operated by a person floating offshore in the swell and waves.

Better yet, be tethered in as you go overboard. At least we'll know where to look to find you!

- rob

Libations Too
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
A PLB doesn't have a good antenna for use from low in the water, and most likely your competitors won't have a PLB homing antenna onboard.

- rob

Rob,

Does anyone except SAR types have a receiver for the PLB homing signals?

I figured the best I could do with the VHF radio is get the antenna a few inches above my head if I wanted to hear and respond...and that means only a few inches above the water. But with the PLB I could hold the whole thing at arms length...at least for a little while. So if VHF is line of sight to shore and the PLB is line of sight to a satellite wouldn't the PLB have a better chance of connecting?

I suppose the best scenario is to have both VHF and PLB.

I agree about the tether, and I'll admit that the Heatwave incident has driven the importance of jack lines and tethers home very nicely. My tethers have quick release shackles, and I wouldn't want any other type.

As for Haulback and the mid-Pacific alternative...well, Jim has sailed more ocean miles just to get to the starting line for his SHTPs than I will probably ever sail, so who am I to comment. Besides, his option seems to be working quite well for him.

tiger beetle
04-14-2009, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=Libations Too;1863]Rob,

Does anyone except SAR types have a receiver for the PLB homing signals?
[QUOTE]
Yes, there are. SeaMarshall has a system, as do others. The usages I am aware of are some of the Volvo racers, where the time available to recover is short and there are no nearby assets to help in recovering a crew member.

PLB's seems to utilize two radio signals - a 406MHz signal going to the satellite, and a 121.5MHz signal used for localized direction finding. The boat carries the 121.5MHz receiver and a directional antenna. I haven't done much more reading on the PLB as I haven't found much indication of effectiveness from the water's surface.

My main concern with all these PLB posts is that a skipper might think that a PLB is sufficiently good to forego an EPIRB and instead equip the boat solely with a PLB; and there's nothing I've seen to suggest this is a good idea.

I'm also not convinced that a PLB (or an EPIRB, for that matter) can summon rescue quickly enough in the Gulf of the Farallones to save the skipper before hypothermia sets in and the skipper dies. Is an hour sufficient time for a signal to travel to the satellite, thru the SAR system, to have an asset arrive on scene?

My personal take on safety offshore is the skipper needs to buy time in the event the yacht is lost, and this means staying warm enough to stave off hypothermia. Once hypothermia is solved, then it's time to summon aid. I've read reports of fish boat crews surviving many hours up in Alaska wearing a survival suite (gumby suit) and clutching the EPIRB in their hands. To this end I carry a liferaft, an EPIRB, a waterproof handheld VHF radio, and flares. The liferaft and EPIRB are rather expensive, and none of the local ocean races (OYRA, SSS) require either of these items.

I see no harm in carrying a PLB on board, and I see the VHF radio as more likely to obtain immediate help from somebody nearby (within 4-5 miles). If a sailboat is 10 miles away it's probably too far to get to you in time. A PLB can attract a much faster asset, such as a helicopter, and I do not know the launch times of a helicopter.

My suggestion is if you really want to run down the value of the PLB, have a conversation with the USCG SAR group and find out what their experience has been. That would be really helpful to the folks here on the board.

- rob

Libations Too
04-14-2009, 10:41 AM

My suggestion is if you really want to run down the value of the PLB, have a conversation with the USCG SAR group and find out what their experience has been. That would be really helpful to the folks here on the board.

- rob

Good suggestion! Give me a few days and I'll see what I can come up with. I took a tour of the San Francisco Vessel Traffic Service station a couple of years ago and they were extremely cordial and informative. I'll see if I can get similar information or results from the San Francisco USCG SAR group.

You make another good point about skippers who might believe that a PLB can substitute for a boat EPIRB. I probably fall into that category since I did the 2007 LongPac with only a PLB (an ACR AquaFix 406 with GPS). I just checked the 2009 minimum equipment requirements for the LongPac and an EPIRB is required. I did not check the 2007 requirements but presume they were the same. In 2007 my PLB registration did not raise any objections from the RC.

This might be a sticky issue...I checked the manual for my AquaFix 406 and the manual calls it a Personal Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, or a P-EPIRB. So is it an EPIRB or a PLB??? Does the Aquafix (or other PLB) meet the intent of the SSS minimum equipment requirements???

tiger beetle
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Good suggestion! Give me a few days and I'll see what I can come up with. I took a tour of the San Francisco Vessel Traffic Service station a couple of years ago and they were extremely cordial and informative. I'll see if I can get similar information or results from the San Francisco USCG SAR group.

That would be really good information - let us know what you find out!

Does the Aquafix (or other PLB) meet the intent of the SSS minimum equipment requirements???

I'm not running the 2009 LongPac, so I cannot speak for Ruben. I did write the draft form of the 2009 LongPac equipment requirements, and the PLB is not intended to meet the rule. Interestingly enough I did run the 2007 LongPac, and was unaware that Libations Too was carrying a PLB.

My suggestion is that the term 'EPIRB' has become a generic device, and the SSS LongPac requirement should be updated to stipulate the EPIRB functionality (much like the liferaft requirement), such as: a 406MHz EPIRB that is self-contained, waterpoof, operates for 48 hours, floats upright unattended, and possibly 'is intended for marine use'. One could also stipulate the EPIRB manufacturer recommends the unit for use as the primary EPIRB for ocean-going recreational craft (much like the anchor requirement). This would eliminate the PLBs that I am aware of, as the PLB has a 24 hour battery life.

- rob

Libations Too
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
My suggestion is that the term 'EPIRB' has become a generic device, and the SSS LongPac requirement should be updated to stipulate the EPIRB functionality (much like the liferaft requirement), such as: a 406MHz EPIRB that is self-contained, waterpoof, operates for 48 hours, floats upright unattended, and possibly 'is intended for marine use'. One could also stipulate the EPIRB manufacturer recommends the unit for use as the primary EPIRB for ocean-going recreational craft (much like the anchor requirement). This would eliminate the PLBs that I am aware of, as the PLB has a 24 hour battery life.

- rob

If SSS heads in this direction I think it would be good to also cover other features common to most EPIRBs: Strobe required? Manual or automatic deployment? Manual or automatic activation? Internal GPS required? Tether required? Length of tether? Registered to the boat or to the individual (this will probably eliminate the PLBs).

I think the intended length of operation (48 vs 24 hours), internal GPS, and the ability to float upright and transmit are most important...but that is just my opinion.

I'll post an update if and when I hear from USCG SAR here in San Francisco.

Libations Too
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM

- rob

OK...this has taken longer than I thought but here is what I have found. It's a pretty long answer. Please do not shoot the messenger!

I spent a lot of time searching the internet and I spoke directly with:

• Lt JG Steven Barry who is a Watch Supervisor at USCG Sector San Francisco, California. Steve's personal recommendation for the singlehanded sailor was to carry both a handheld VHF and a PLB; the Command Level recommendation is for a Category 1 (self activating) EPIRB for the boat.

• Lt Tim Martin and Lt Kevin Sullivan at the USCG District 11 Rescue Coordination Center at Alameda, California. Kevin is a sailor and recommended both a PLB and a handheld VHF radio for "on-my-person" safety gear...and if he had to choose one over the other he recommended the PLB.

•Chief of Operations Sam Baker at US Mission Control Center for the COSPAS-SARSAT system in Suitland, Maryland. (Sam is a sailor and is owner of a C&C 37/40+ that he sails mostly on the Chesapeake Bay. His recommendations in order of preference were (1) a Category 1 (self activating) EPIRB for the boat stored outside the cabin, (2) a PLB "on-your person", or perhaps (3) a handheld VHF "on-your person" if the local Rescue 21 system was operational and sailing location/conditions supported line-of-sight communication).

My summary answsers to a few questions:

What time delay might be associated with the launch of a SAR effort if the sole source of distress information was obtained from a PLB or EPIRB? The answer appears to rest primarily with the quality of the initial beacon signal, the type of position data that is associated with the initial signal, and how long it takes to remove ambiguities associated with the position data or to evaluate those ambiguities at the RCC level. The elapsed time from beacon activation until the alert message is received by the local Rescue Coordination Center is no more than about 2 minutes for beacons activated between 70 S latitude and 70 N latitude...with essentially all of the steps automated.

Clearly the best scenario would be one where the PLB/EPIRB signal was received without error at the U.S. Mission Control Center for satellite-based search and rescue operations, where the signal included encoded location data (from an integral or companion GPS), and where the Rescue Coordination Center (local to the distress event) was able to make immediate contacts (based on the PLB/EPIRB registration form) to confirm that the situation was not an accidental activation of the EPIRB/PLB. In this best scenario a launch of SAR efforts might begin within as little as a few minutes from the time the PLB/EPIRB activation (assuming a location within the Gulf of Farallones). The goal for Sector San Francisco is to launch a SAR effort in no more than 30 minutes from receipt of an alert message from the RCC.

The worst scenario for a PLB/EPIRB rescue would be one where the digital signal was not clear, where location data was incomplete or ambiguous (less than 20% probability of accuracy), and where no EPIRB/PLB registration information was available. In cold northern California waters such a situation may delay a SAR launch until it is too late for the person in the water (MY OPINION ONLY). Where GPS data is not encoded in the beacon signal (no integral or companion GPS) determining beacon location is by Doppler techniques from low-altitude earth orbit satellites...and it could take up to an hour for the first satellite to pass over the beacon.

I'll admit that I was hoping for more precise information regarding the delay that can be associated with validation and evaluation of a PLB/EPIRB signal, but due to the number of variables it is just not possible. What was good to understand is that the first several steps (from beacon to satellite, from satellite to Local User Terminal, from Local User Terminal to Mission Control Center, and from Mission Control Center to local Rescue Coordination Center) are all automated and no human intervention is required. Evaluation at the local Rescue Coordination Center takes many issues into consideration and is where many of the variables come into play that can cause delay.

Are the expected delays different for a PLB than for an EPIRB? The direct answer is simply no. There is nothing about a good signal from a PLB when compared to that of an EPIRB, or the stated procedures within the COSPAS-SARSAT system or within the USCG that would cause a delayed response in launching a SAR effort simply due to signal originating from a PLB. However, where the signal does not contain location data, the alert will go to the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center in Florida that is responsible for handling all U.S. land-based rescue efforts. As soon as location data are available, and if those location data show a coastal or offshore location, the USCG will also receive an automated message from the Mission Control Center.

A more qualified answer would focus on things like antenna performance, antenna position, battery life, etc. But for a person in the water due to a MOB situation (where an EPIRB is simply not available) these distinctions make little difference. Where the situation is associated with a disabled (but floating) vessel or where people are in a life raft or other emergency vessel the advantages of antenna performance, antenna position, battery life, etc. are arguably more important and an EPIRB would be the clear better choice.

Can a response to a PLB/EPIRB be fast enough to effect rescue in cold northern California waters? This question is focused on a situation where the person is in the water...and the boat has sailed on. The answer to this too is subject to many variables, some of which were mentioned in my answers to questions above related to delays. Other variables relate to the person in the water, their degree of fitness, personal body characteristics, etc. The simple answer, somewhat confirmed by personal preferences expressed by the people with whom I spoke, suggest that the answer is definitely yes. This is where the initial signal contains good location information and where the PLB/EPIRB registration is clear about where and how the beacon might be used. For example, if using a PLB the registration form should definitely indicate that it is being used as an item of safety gear on a boat or on a PFD. This will alert the RCC that even though many PLBs are used on land that this one in particular is most often used at sea. Such clarity of information on the PLB registration form can be very important to minimizing the "evaluation" delay at the Rescue Coordination Center.

What about a handheld VHF radio? A handheld radio is subject to line-of-sight transmissions. If the radio can make a line-of-sight connection to a USCG receiving antenna then it can be effective in sending a MAYDAY distress call. According to USCG District 11 Rescue Coordination Center the Bay Area system can pick up a 1-watt transmission at a 1-foot elevation 20 miles offshore. I was impressed with this information. The positive aspect of the VHF radio is that as the person in the water, you can have direct communication with the USCG, which can also be important when rescue personnel arrive. And you may also be heard by a nearby vessel that can come to your immediate assistance.

The potential downside to the VHF radio is that while allowing direct communication it does not by itself (at the moment) help with providing the USCG with reliable position data. What this means is that the person in the water must have a very good situational awareness and be able to describe their position to the USCG radio station operator. This in turn must be translated into lat/lon coordinates or passed on as a narrative description of location. Obviously the effectiveness of this activity depends on the skill and situational awareness of the person in the water. Similarly, the sea state, the affect of wind in the microphone, and the ability of the person in the water to speak clearly and maintain communication may be a factor in establishing and maintaining contact with the USCG or another radio operator.

By about mid 2010 the Rescue 21 system should be operational here in the Bay Area. This system provides upgraded VHF receiving equipment that will improve the ability of the USCG to locate people based solely on the VHF radio distress transmission. Though not operational at this time in this area, the operational history in other locations suggests that if a signal is received by a single receiving tower that a Line-of-Position can be determined within +/- 2 degrees from the tower. If multiple towers receive the signal, then a near fix is possible. This will greatly enhance the ability of the USCG to evaluate and launch a SAR based solely on a VHF radio transmission.

Similar to the Rescue 21 system in its effectiveness is the DSC system that is currently operational with VHF radios. Currently I am aware of only one manufacturer of handheld DSC radios (Standard Horizon HX850S) but others may be available too. The DSC radio embeds a GPS fix with a VHF burst that is automatically recognized as a distress call. When speaking with the USCG District 11 staff, I was left with the impression that such equipment, if properly set up, could greatly facilitate the "evaluation" effort at the local Rescue Coordination Center.

BobJ
04-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Richard, thank you for the research and for your well-written, detailed discussion. I've updated my earlier post and directed readers to yours (with regard to PLB vs. EPIRB response times).

My reaction to this thread is that I'm moving my EPIRB next to the companionway where I can reach it from the cockpit. Having a Category 1 attached to the exterior of the boat is not practical in my case and would make accidental activation much more likely. (I have a Cat. 2 w/integral GPS.)

I won't also carry a PLB but will keep my handheld VHF on me from now on.

04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Terrific information, Richard -- thank you!

I'll be keeping my PLB in one pocket and the handheld VHF in the other.

Bill Merrick's post following Monday's meeting concerning requirements for offshore racers says that one possible additional requirement for Farallons and Half Moon Bay could be an EPIRB. I hope that this interpretation includes PLBs. If I were to fall off the boat, I'd sure rather have a PLB in my pocket than an EPIRB back on the boat!

Bill's post is here:

http://www.sfbaysss.net/showthread.php?t=302

jfoster
04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
From the Navagear site, yet another EPIRB and PLB aspect:

http://www.navagear.com/2009/04/acr-urges-epirb-and-plb-owners-to-re-check-registration-codes/
(http://www.navagear.com/2009/04/acr-urges-epirb-and-plb-owners-to-re-check-registration-codes/)

ACR urges EPIRB and PLB owners to re-check registration codes
April 23rd, 2009 · by Tim Flanagan, Managing Editor

Cobham Life Support, ACR Products, the world’s leader in safety and survival technologies, is urging all EPIRB and PLB owners to double check their 15-character identification code registration.

According to a recent Marine Board of Investigation inquiry, which is looking into the sinking of the scallop boat Lady Mary on March 24th, there was a discrepancy in the EPIRB’s identification number, marked on a decal that the boat’s owner had received from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration after he registered the EPIRB.

In the case of the Lady Mary, the emergency signal initially received by authorities was regarded as unregistered which may have led to delays in response time while emergency center controllers waited for additional satellite passes to fix a location. Had the controllers been able to pull the Lady Mary’s registration data, they could have contacted emergency contacts to confirm the status of the boat and its general location prior to a satellite fix.

“Because this situation came to light, we are urging all beacon owners to compare their 15-character identification code printed on the beacon with the registration sticker they receive from NOAA just to ensure they both match,” said Chris Wahler, Marketing Manager for Cobham Life Support, ACR Products. “If there is a discrepancy, we urge the owner to contact NOAA immediately to correct the information.”a

AlanH
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
GREAT write-up, Richard. Thank you.

a PLB goes on my new "short-list" of personal stuff for local ocean racing to supplement my handheld VHF.

As a complete sideline, I used to carry a waterproof pack of 3 "skyblazer" flares in my foulie pockets. I figured that if I went over in the evening, and ---help was on the way--- I could show them where I was with the flares.

CTWhipple
03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
I shipwrecked in New Zealand waters. I carried a PLB, handheld VHF, and a mounted VHF in the boat. First calls went out by VHF. No answers. Tripped the PLB signal at 6:05 am. I was on dry land, airlifted by helicopter, by 7:30 a.m. The PLB had a 121.5 beacon frequency and a strobe on top. The helicopter crew said they saw the strobe before they could home in on the frequency. The boat was a total loss, chewed to pieces by rocks, but I was OK and would not hesitate to trust my life to a PLB again.

Wylieguy
03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
As YRA Chairman - After several meetings with the CG and numerous other communications with CG offices, YRA decided that either an EPIRB or PLB would satisfy a "406" requirement for ocean racing. We were assured the response time was the same for either device, so YRA is requiring either a 406 EPIRB or PLB for 2010 OYRA races. YRA will review the requirement annually.
On a personal note - I believe it's critical for the EPIRB or PLB to be outside the cabin. Obviously the best is a float-free EPIRB in a hydrostatic mount in the cockpit. If it's a PLB I believe it must be clipped on (connected) to someone in the cockpit - the person steering - at all times. A 406 device safely stored in the cabin might not be accessible during an emergency.
I also require someone on watch to have a waterproof handheld VHF radio hooked on. I keep one on a neck strap that's tucked under my lifejacket. (I like everyone onboard to have a VHF connected to them.) We believe the person in the water might be able to direct the boat back to their location since the boat will be lit up like a Christmas tree at night compared to their life jacket strobe (you do also have a strobe on your lifejacket, don't you?).
The "Heatwave" incident is a prime example. Luckily they had a VHF radio in a bag hanging on the lifelines that they could duck under and retrieve. They could not get into the cabin to retrieve anything (flares, for instance). Luckily they managed to get a call off before the VHF radio was lost (no lanyard). If they'd had an EPIRB/PLB and had it been stowed in the cabin, it would have been as useless as their flares. Luckily the Pilot Boat heard them. Luckily the flashlight without a lanyard lasted long enough for the Pilot Boat to get a fix. Luckily they survived. Did I mention they didn't have a working strobe light attached to their lifejackets - one of which failed to properly inflate? Did I mention luck being involved?
Pat Broderick