PDA

View Full Version : Books on SH Transpac

fullkeel
04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I am looking to get a sense of what it is like to sail in the single handed transpac. Has anyone written on the subject? any good books or otherwise first hand accounts?

Thanks. Chase

Wylieguy
04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Peter H. Stryker, M. D. sailed the 1984 race in "Alistelle" an Explorer 45. He wrote a book, "The Floating Harpsicord," about his trip. Yes, he took and played his harpsicord on the trip. He also muses about why all those Pacific sea mounts are named after composers. I think the book is available at Amazon.com, but perhaps your local library might be a place to start the search. He finished last, so perhaps you don't want to model your trip on his.
You might also Google Eric Thomas. Although he has not written a book (to my knowledge) he has spoken about his races and been written about. Finally Paul Kamen's, fishmeal> website might be interesting to you.
Pat Broderick, former SSS Commodore

seabird51
04-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I do not know any specific books on the race but if you go to the race archives for any year at least back to 2002 you will find some great essays and commentaries from the course and return.

Rob's piece on psyops is very good for the flavor of the race. Both Mark and Rob were pretty prolific (and well written) for the years that they competed.

Enjoy

Lou

Alchera
04-16-2009, 11:53 PM
If you want to spend $20 you can get a DVD video of the 1986 Singlehanded Transpac. It's a bit dated, but you definitely get the feel for what it's like. I thought it was worth it. The site is www.bennettmarine.com

Here's the description from the site:
ACROSS ALONE TRANSPACIFIC RACE

Australian Ian Johnston broke the record for the 2200 mile race in 1986, in the revolutionary Crowther 40 foot trimaran Bullfrog. He was pursued by Jeff Hartz in the 44 foot trimaran Fat, and Kiwi Peter Hogg in the Newick 40 foot catamaran Tainui. Step on board these multihulls as they streak across the ocean at 17-20 knots. Dan Newland and Peter Clutterbuck took first and second in the monohulls. Watch these world class sailors as they struggle with setbacks and share their innermost thoughts on the long sleigh ride west. Learn what it's like directly from them. 60 min.

- Mark

Alchera
04-17-2009, 12:06 AM
There doesn't seem to be an obvious link to the SSS TransPac race archives anywhere on the SSS website anymore! But the pages are still there if you know how to find them. Use this link:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/transpac_2008_index.html

Once you are on that page, go down to the lower left where it says 'Logs and results from prior years' Click on 2002, then click on the 'news and position reports' links for each day of the race. You'll be able to read some of the logs written day by day for that year. Also read the logs for the years 2004, 2006, and 2008 - more and more boats began to contribute logs in the later years.

If you still haven't had your fill, go back and read some of the articles written by various members and contributed on those archive pages. Lots of good reading.

Actually, better yet, start with the 2008 logs, since many boats were sending logs. The logs can be found from a link on the 2008 transpac page, but here is the direct link:

http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/race_tracker/log.html

- Mark

jfoster
04-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Although it is aimed at those doing the crewed Transpac The Pacific Cup Handbook (http://www.pcup.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12)
takes you through the important steps of preparation, racing, and finishing. It's loaded with great advice for anyone seeking to make a passage safely and quickly, and includes updates to take account of advancing technology.

blighbaum
04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/5471/crossing.htm
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/5471/chalupaprep.htm

Try these links. They are to articles about the fitting out of Chalupa, a Cal 20 that sailed along with the 1980 SHTP. They are brief, but give a good feel for what's involved in fitting out and sailing a small boat from SF to Hanalei. Another source is the Flicka website; there are some accounts of crossings by Flickas, including from California to Hawaii. Like you, I sailed a lightweight Santana (in my case, a S20) for years before switching to a longl keeler, in which I did the 2008 SHTP. A long keeler may not necessarily be more seaworthy than a light displacement boat, but it sure feels that way! I don't know much about the Bristol, but a Folkboat (unlike a Santana) practically sails herself, and will take care of you when you can't take care of yourself. I suggest that you look at Bristol forums or chat rooms (I presume there are some) and look for accounts of passages in Bristols, and also (very important) for discussions of any problems that typically crop up on Bristols. Then you can prepare. I think you will find that the preparation of the individual boat and skipper is more important than what type of boat it is (assuming that the boat is reasonably well designed and built).

Regards, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

fullkeel
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the great leads. I did purchase and watch 'across alone' and have been reading the position reports. looks hard but fun. If anyone wants to borrow the film just send me your address i would be happy to drop it in the mail.