PDA

View Full Version : SSS Min. Equip. Requirements (Ocean races)

Dazzler
05-01-2009, 06:21 PM
As I may do HMB doublehanded this year I have a question about the MOB pole requirement. It says, "Man overboard pole and Lifesling (doublehanded entries only)."

I have a Lifesling and a MOB pole, but how to rig the pole. In the "old days" we used to rig a MOB pole, small drogue, strobe and horseshoe life ring all together. Am I to carry just the pole, or at least attach a drogue. Maybe someone who helped write the requirement had something in mind?

Thanks,

Tom P.
Dazzler

P.S. I don't want to get into a discussion on how I'm going to carry a MOB pole on a Wyliecat 30!

Ergo
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the question. It is a minimum required equipment list. It would be a good idea to rig the pole as you've described but the rule dosen't require it. Doublehanded boats are required to have a MOB pole and a Lifesling.

Personally, I think that skippers of Wyliecats should carry the pole in their hand (left or right) at all times and only be allowed to lose contact with it if and when relieving his/her bladder to windward.

Bill Merrick
SSS Commodore

Dazzler
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I can do whatever I want with the MOB pole as long as it's on the boat. ;)

Regarding your suggestion on where to carry the MOB pole, I've had people ask, "What's with this 'singlehanded' sailing? Does that mean you only get to use one hand?" So, now I know what to do with that spare hand!

Tom
Dazzler