PDA

View Full Version : Farallones Ebb...Flood...

Matt
05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
John asked for a story so I figured I'd put one up before too much time has passed. I didn't finish the race but it was a nice day sailing.

I put in a 25W VHF radio, 3' Antennae, Radar Reflector, 2x2 Stainless Stanchions, 1/4" Life Lines bolted to the toe rail, secured my hatch board with a line that can be cleated from inside the boat, carried a handheld VHF, knife, strobe, whistle... and fixed numerous other items in preparation for this off-shore race in my little boat.

It was very disappointing when I scrubbed at the beginning of the race by crossing early and then not having enough time to get back around and restart. The ebb was too strong and I didn't set up far enough back of the start line. I tried to turn a bad start into a good day by motoring out as far as I could ahead of the fleet. I did take some pictures at the beginning of the race that I'll post as soon as I can.

The ebb and motor got me out past the S.F bouy in less than an hour. I put the sails up and attempted to keep in front of the fleet on a heading for the shipping channel. I was trying to stay north of the shipping channel but the current, waves and wind kept me in the shipping lane for longer than I wanted to be there. I passed the lightship and was paced by a Coast Guard vessel for several miles. The wind was about 12-15 knots and it was fairly nice conditions except for trying to point up wind all the time. I only had one opportunity to use the autopilot while reaching for a break.

After 2p.m. within sight of the Farallones but needing to head up north considerably more, I decided to turn back. My little boat surfs nicely with the current and waves going the same direction as the wind. I had a great ride right up until about 2 miles from the gate when the wind died. Since I was out of the race already, I just motored through the wind hole and put the sails up again once past the bridge.

I sailed by the finish line and used the VHF to let the race deck know I was back even though I knew they already had me as over early. I was just in front of Hecla, the second multi hull to finish the race.

Next year, I'm putting the anchor down to keep from going across the start line early.

Matt