PDA

View Full Version : boat set up

dirt farmer
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I am thinking of dragging my Olson 30 out of the barn and setting it up for single handed racing. I have no idea how to set up the boat. Can any one point me in the right direction for info, books ,articles ect? My biggest concern is the auto helm then trying to prioritize the most important items and obviously trying to do them first. thanks

jfoster
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I am thinking of dragging my Olson 30 out of the barn and setting it up for single handed racing. I have no idea how to set up the boat. Can any one point me in the right direction for info, books ,articles ect? My biggest concern is the auto helm then trying to prioritize the most important items and obviously trying to do them first. thanks

Pick up a copy of Illustrated Sail and Rig tuning.

http://www.dedekam.com/sailtrim.html

AFTER you have gleaned all you can from Dedekam's book, then look at the archives of the Olsen 30 mailing list.

http://www.sailpix.com/email/olson30/author.html

* 4362 messages: Starting Tue 12 Dec 1995 - 09:15:09 PST, Ending Sat 06 Jun 2009 - 05:02:30 PDT ought to give you some Olsen 30 specific clues.

Then look through the results of the Sportboat class for a few recent years, particularly larger and longer races such as the Three Bridge Fiasco to see if any of the high ranking Olsen 30's, in both single and double handed divisions, are being driven by folks you know, or can get to know.

http://sfbaysss.org/2008/results/three_bridge_results_final.pdf (http://sfbaysss.org/2008/results/three_bridge_results_final.pdf)

Enjoy!

John

Blueberry Nonsuch 22 sail # 48 (/nonsuch22blueberry.blogspot.com/)

dirt farmer
06-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks you two very much, it looks like a mountain of info in those archives. Dose any body know the Olson 30 SSS sailor? Thanks

solosailor
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks you two very much, it looks like a mountain of info in those archives. Dose any body know the Olson 30 SSS sailor? ThanksNot 'the' Olson 30 SSSer.... there have been many. Still Crazy, Big Mon, Think Fast (doublehander), Prankster, Sol Man, Foolish Muse.... on and on.

Hopefully one of them will see the post and send you a PM.

Ergo
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Let us not forget Polar Bear - the IMHO the best set-up Olson 30 I've ever seen.

Bill Merrick

dirt farmer
06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Bill, thanks for the tip. If any one could help me get in touch with polar bear I would appreciate it. My boat is currently set up for windward leeward buoy racing, and my goal is to not reinvent the wheel buying gear. It may be wishful thinking but I want to get the correct equipment the first time.

Velocious
06-08-2009, 11:48 PM
That is fine to ask, but everyone has their own idea of the "best way" to set up their boat. Also, ask yourself what your goals are. Are you sailing in the bay, coastal racing, ocean crossing? I had a Moore 24 for the 04 SHTP, and I loved my roller furler and spinnaker sock. I also know people who hate furlers and would insist that it is better to have hankable jibs. Still others swear by the tuff luff foil They may hate the spinnaker sock because of the extra spaghetti of lines and weight aloft. So remember that you will get a lot of opinions. They are not right or wrong and they may not work for you. You would be best served by actually trying out the various systems and seeing what you like. Start off with light air on the bay and build up your confidence slowly. It is not really gear that makes the boat go, it is the NUT attached to the tiller. Oh and yeah the autopilot is really crucial. Just my $.02

AlanH
06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Go buy an autohelm 2000, install it and start sailing the Bay, solo. As you develop questions, ask them and/or figure out what works for you. Doing the occasional SSS race is a LOT different from doing a SHTP.

Culebra
06-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Only just a few modifications are what I'd consider essential before going out and doing any serious trials singlehanding. Others I think are preference, or finnesse... how to make the tasks simpler, faster and perhaps safer, and you can make those changes after you figure out what you like. In the category of essential, besides a really good autopilot, you will need to add slides to your mainsail luff if you're currently hoisting the bolt rope up the mast slot. You have to be able to reef the main... deeply, not just a jiffy reef. I like having the ability to tension the mainsail luff and clew independently when I reef, so that means either having a horn/pigtail at the gooseneck or having separately controlled lines for tack and clew. Some kind of cleat (cam or clutch) on the mast just below the spin halyard exit is also pretty essential if you don't already have one. There might be some others, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Have fun!
Paul