PDA

View Full Version : MCMURDO FastFind 210 GPS EPIRB

Gottosail
06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately I was not able to make the Long Pac meeting yesterday...but heard there was some discussion with respect to the EPIRB requirement and how the PLB style 406 EPIRB will not meet Long Pac Requirements? Having recently purchased a "MCMURDO FastFind 210 GPS Personal Location Beacon" to serve as my 406 requirement...I'm curious as to why this unit is considered insufficient? In the Longpac 09' Race Rules and Regs it states...

4.33 Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) broadcasting on 406.0 MHz, with a battery whose expiration date is no earlier than August 4 2009.

Any thoughts or discussion on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm also curious how many people are not participating in the Long Pac race 09' because of these types of requirements...ie. EPIRB, Liferaft?

Sparky
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Regarding the discussions and questions about whether or not a PLB style 406 EPIRB meets the LongPac requirements, the answer is yes. During our LongPac meeting last night, we made an error --we're human-- by stating the PLB would not be acceptable. In reviewing the LongPac Race Rules and Conditions (RRC 4.33), it's generally stated to be interpreted that PLB's could be used: " 4.33 Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon [EPIRB] broadcasting on 406.0 MHz, with a battery whose expiration date is no earlier than August 4, 2009."

We will be issuing an Amendment shortly that allows a 406 MHz PLB EPIRB for the LongPac. Hopefully this will satisfy and make those of you happy that have already purchased this unit for the race.

LongPac Race Committee

Culebra
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Thank you Sparky!

Just for the record, I won't complain when we get to the SHTP... integrated strobe, longer battery life, float-free capability, all make a lot of sense for the open ocean.

Paul
Culebra, Olson 34

BobJ
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes, I'll add that if you are purchasing an EPIRB for the LongPac, with a view towards racing in the SH TransPac, I would get a (true) EPIRB, not a PLB.

Also note that you can rent an EPIRB, you don't necessarily have to buy one.

Wylieguy
06-12-2009, 04:56 PM
LongPackers,
I've rented a 406 (with GPS) EPIRB for the LongPac from BOAT US. $65 rental + $35 shipping (covers both coming and going). It will arrive Monday of LongPac Week (July 27). I've been cautioned by BOAT US that although I have a serial number on my rental agreement, situations might come up that cause them to send another unit in its place. I'll be calling them the week before to make sure, but I may need to update that information if they can't provide the unit promised.
I've rented from BOAT US previously and they always come through. They've asked to to remind everyone about their rental program. The also rent non-GPS units for a little less. Check it out at <boatus.com>
Pat "NANCY"