PDA

View Full Version : Updates for paper charts

Cover Craft
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Updates for paper charts are available in pdf format at: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/updates/LNM_NM.html

Go through the disclaimers, enter the chart number, click "get chart updates, then at the bottom you can enter a print date more recent than the latest edition - like the print date of your POD chart from last week.

Not too tedious to draw them in on your charts if only a few corrections...

Tom / Constellation

Critter
06-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Tom, thanks for the link.

As I recall, there's a regulation (CFR I assume) that charts on board have to be the current edition - you can't just update older charts. Can anyone confirm that?

Max

Alchera
06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
As I recall, there's a regulation (CFR I assume) that charts on board have to be the current edition - you can't just update older charts. Can anyone confirm that?
Max

The RR&Cs state that corrected charts are OK.

- Mark

tiger beetle
06-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi Max -

Below is, I believe, this is the applicable International Maritime Organization rule regarding charts to meet carriage requirements. Marilee (Waypoints) would be the definitive person to answer your question, and I'll start with this:

IMO SOLAS V/27
Nautical charts and nautical publications, such as Sailing Directions, Lists of Lights, Notices to Mariners, Tide tables and all other nautical publications necessary for the intended voyage, shall be adequate and up to date.

The key statement is 'adequate and up to date'.

That said, the typical way to maintain a paper chart was to buy the latest edition and mark up as per Notice to Mariners and Local Notice to Mariners.
As Mark points out, we (recreational sailors) aren't required by IMO to carry charts at all - our boats are too small to be covered by the IMO carriage requirements.

- rob

BobJ
06-17-2009, 08:01 AM
From the horse's mouth. (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;sid=104ca6a7a527fd2 9c5a6c3307665a486;idno=33;region=DIV1;q1=charts;rg n=div5;view=text;node=33%3A2.0.1.6.33#33:2.0.1.6.3 3.0.183.10)

Chart requirements are in 164.33. Applicability is in 164.01 (generally vessels of 1,600 or more gross tons).

However those with CG licenses would be wise to keep their charts updated.

AlanH
06-20-2009, 02:07 AM
4.26 Plotting instruments and current appropriate charts, or charts corrected to the
latest Notice to Mariners, which must include NOAA chart numbers 18020, 18645
and 18649.

"current" means the current edition

OR

charts corrected to the latest Notice to Mariners.

So in theory you can have the current edition charts on not put in the very latest corrections from the Local Notices. Make the inspectors happy, though, and show us that you've gotten the local notices. If you get print on demand charts right before your inspection, you'll be good to go.

BTW, I was in Alameda Marina for the first time in a while last week and I saw that Waypoint Maine has moved/closed? I'm sure this is old news to you all, but I was surprised.

Alchera
06-20-2009, 08:19 AM
BTW, I was in Alameda Marina for the first time in a while last week and I saw that Waypoint Maine has moved/closed? I'm sure this is old news to you all, but I was surprised.

Surprised me too. Their new location: 621 Fourth Street, just off Jack London Square

http://www.waypoints.com/

- Mark