PDA

View Full Version : West Coast US Offshore Sailing Seminar

Merfyn Owen
06-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Last month I helped to organise a short handed sailing seminar in Newport that coincided with the Bermuda 1-2. It was based around promoting the new Class 40 because we had three of these boats there for people to sail. However, a wide variety of sailors interested in short-handed sailing came to listen to the lectures, discuss and go sailing.

http://www.owenclarkedesign.com/USandCanadaClass40designandracingseminar

http://www.owenclarkedesign.com/class_40open_seminar_in_usa_a_success

Two weeks ago I was on the west coast in the Bay area and talked to a few people, some members of the society, some not. The concensus was that running something similar on the west coast would be a good thing and I should join and post a note on this forum. The thought was to allow plenty of time to advertise, prepare and base it close to a race or event in 2010 where we could get access to some boats. Even if it's just to allow people to look round them. In Newport we were fortunate to have a group of skippers willing to take people sailing. read more on the links above.

If you think this is a good idea and you want to help organise, participate or in whatever way be involved then drop a line to this forum and/or to Class40@usa.com, and we'll form a small group to move this forward. I'm willing to do the ground work as I did on the east coast and I know Jim Anttrim's keen to be involved too. However to get things kicked off, as in Newport I need local knowledge wrt possible venues, berthing, sailors/boats and where/when a succesful event might be held.

I'll be on the west coast next week sailing Pegasus down from Santa Cruz to LA for the Transpac. I plan to be back in the Bay area around the weekend. In the meantime, anyone who is particularly enthusiastic about this idea and picks up this thread can call me on my US Cell: 207 664 3887 or email me at Class40@usa.com

Best wishes to all.

Merfyn

BobJ
06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for posting with your ideas, Merfyn.

The high-profile activity for SSS in 2010 is the biennial Singlehanded TransPac, which is scheduled to start June 19th. Other than a possible repeat appearance by Dogbark (an older Open 60) and maybe a Mini or two, there have been no Open-type designs participating.

I see there is a 50% interest in a Pogo 40 for sale in Long Beach, and Jim Antrim's boat looks hot - nothing about it on the builder's (Columbia Yachts) website however. Those are the only new Open 40's I'm aware of in CA.

That said, new "debuts" here typically happen at the annual Pacific Sail Expo/Strictly Sail show in mid-April. Since they also host seminars at the show, it would be a venue to consider.

Other than the Pogo down south, does anyone know of any Open 40's on the West coast?

Merfyn Owen
06-21-2009, 06:05 AM
H

Thanks for the quick response.

I knew about the Transpac because of our Pegasus link but not the Pacific Expo. Look forward to other people's thoughts re: that as a venue.

I realise that at this stage we're probably not going to get more than one of the two boats that there are on the west coast. I know the most interesting would be Jim's custom boat and since he's west coast based that would be great for promoting the local angle to the class. If we can get a Pogo (which is a French production boat) up then that would be ideal to be able to contrast the the two ends of the market.

Anyway, it's all about introducing people to the Class to see if in the coming years we can grow this type of boat on the west coast.

Final thought. The 50% ownership model is working in the one instance I know on the east coast. Our 40' Cutlass is owned by two guys. Perhaps as well as the fact they have been long time freinds the other factor is that most of the sailing is either double-handed or four/five fully crewed.

Heading to Santa Cruz tomorrow to sail Pegasus down to LA. Back up in the Bay area next weekend if anyone fancies a coffee. Going sailing with a good mate on a 24' footer I've never heard off and a Farr 40 that I have.

Cheers

Merfyn

PS: Note to all. Class 40 is not Open 40. It's a box rule with materials, appendage limits and other regulations designed to limit cost, development etc. To see a copy of the rule go to www.class40.com

jfoster
06-21-2009, 06:55 AM
H

Thanks for the quick response.

I knew about the Transpac because of our Pegasus link but not the Pacific Expo. Look forward to other people's thoughts re: that as a venue.

SNIP

To get some in depth advice about a presentation at Pacific Expo contact Sally or Kame Richards of Pineapple Sails (http://www.sailmaker.com/). They worked, big time, with a number of other long time exhibitors on the line up of the 2009 Pacific Expo.

John Foster
Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, Sail #48 (http://nonsuch22blueberry.blogspot.com/)

Alchera
06-21-2009, 08:06 AM

Definitely the Pacific Sail Expo is the way to go.

Merfyn Owen
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Dear all

Thanks for the input.

I'm back in the UK now and will be in contact with various parties in San Fran that I met or spoke to while I was in the Bay area.

On the basis of the few notes on this forum and discussions with others I'll be contacting the Sail Expo people wrt seminars at Pacific Expo.

Thanks for your interest and feel free to contact me further as well as spread the word about the plans for next year.

merf@owenclarkedesign.com

www.owenclarkedesign.com

Enjoy the rest of the summer sailing season. I managed to get out on the water a couple of times. I envy your sailing grounds and I'm sure I will be back.