PDA

View Full Version : spectra lifelines

haulback
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
I know the rule for '08 was that we had to have wire lifelines. I am wondering if there is any chance this may change for the next race to hawaii.

Just finished re-painting the boat - today was fitting new stantions and was thinking that it sure would be nice to use specrta for the lifelines .... not really a weight thing for my old boat - more a simplicity thing.

Certainly a cost thing

best guesses anyone?????/

Ergo
06-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Jim,

This question also came up in drafting this year's LongPac Requirements and the answer was wire not Spectra. Personally, I thought spectra was a reasonable alternative to wire but the collective answers from the folks on the safety committee, SHTP vets all, was that the change would require research regarding UV degradation rates, chafing, breaking strength for different diameter lines, writing a reasonable policy for boat inspectors to follow, etc. It was also pointed out that had we made the change, SSS would be the first organization to do so and this could create a liability issue for the organization, race committee, boat inspectors and board.

An indication of how detailed the discussion got is the observation that someone replacing wire with spectra should polish the interior of the sleeves on the stantions because wire scratches the sleeves and this would chafe a spectra line pretty quickly.

This isn't the final answer because the requirements for the 2010 haven't been drafted yet but I'd advise anyone who is setting up a boat for next year's race to use wire.

Bill

cafemontaigne
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi All,

This is only tangentially related, but I thought I'd post here anyway...

I was looking at the rules for 2008 and see that they require 24" lifelines for boats >28'. I have an Olson 30 (29'11") with 18" pulpit/pushpit and stanchions. This is in line with PIYA requirements for 18" lifelines on boats <30', and I believe the hardware is OEM.

Could the 2010 SHTP regs be brought in line with PIYA requirements, or could I get an exemption considering my boat meets PIYA? I'd like to avoid adding a new pushpit and pulpit to the time and expense of prepping the boat for SHTP... and the Olson is really a 27 footer in disguise...

Also, regarding the spectra lifelines, I think PIYA and ORIYA allow spectra lashing over short distances for wire lifelines. I've found these to be a good alternative to turnbuckles. Is this acceptable for SHTP?

Best Regards,
Adrian

Ergo
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi Adrian,

As far as I know, spectra lashings less than 4 inches in length are an acceptible substitute for turnbuckles.

Re: the requirement that lifelines be 24" high on boats > 30'. I'll ask the safety committee to take a look at that.

Re: an Olson 30 really being a 27. LOA is LOA.

Bill Merrick

cafemontaigne
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks Bill.

My comment about LOA was tongue-in-cheek. I understand LOA is the simplest metric to base these rules on.

Adrian

r.finn
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
It's a funny thing safety. For Mini Transat boats you have to have at least 4mm stainless, but it's okay for the Open 60's to use spectra, and they are designed for the Vendee Globe. Different governing bodies though.

Ergo
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Ryan,

Great to see you pop up in the discussion. Hope you're thinking about a return engagement in the SHTP. BTW, I'm looking around for a new boat. If you hear about anything fast and cheap send me a PM or call me at 415-331-8820.

Bill Merrick

r.finn
07-18-2009, 05:36 AM
I think of coming back often. Just trying to figure out how and when.

As for boats, I don't know if this is your flavor, but it would be a fun ride.

http://ptfoils.com/humdinger.html

-R

dogbark
12-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Changes to 2010-2011 ISAF offshore regs allow for dyneema lifelines. see http://www.sailing.org/30961.php

They also now require an AIS transponder for Cat 1 and 2 races.

I don't have any idea if this affects the SHTP. Al

BobJ
12-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Al,

Since SHTP has its own equipment requirements, the changes to the ISAF special offshore regulations will not affect us.

Synthia just sent me their list of changes - they are extensive. I'm afraid ISAF is raising the bar so high that only wealthy owners with newer yachts will be able to race offshore under their rules.

Will we be seeing you next Summer?

dogbark
12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Bob, At this time it looks doubtful that I will be there, but one never knows for sure. The boat is all set, it is getting the time that is a problem. And an additional welcome to PB/SORC, Al