PDA

View Full Version : SSB and Licensing

Greg Larsen
06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Now I'm research what kind of SSB radio I need to put on my Olson 30 for the Pacific Cup. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding shich manufacture and models are best. Also what are the licensing requirements?

FRakaFDR
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Greg:
I did the '04 SHTP in my O 30 Prankster. I am also considering doing the Pac Cup next year. In '04 I installed an SGC2000 and tuner which worked well. I chose the SGC because it was the only one (at that time) that was type accepted by the FCC for both Marine SSB and Ham. I know how to do the antenna and ground systems for O30s so E-mail me and I'll tell you how I did it. For next year I am considering upgrading to an Icom M802 because I am not sure the SGC can put up with big downloads of GRIB files. You will need a station license and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit both of which can be obtained at the FCC web page.; No test involved but as I recall about $250.

AFAIK the folks at Pac Cup haven't decided whether to require SSB or not. With any luck at all we won't have to bite that bullet. Sat phones are superior in every way to SSB so it is just a mater of time before race committees recognize that fact. The Pac Cup folks seem to be forward looking so I am guessing that they won't require SSB.

Frank Ross Prankster

BobJ
06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I disagree that sat phones are superior in every way. They provide only one-to-one communication which is useless for roll-calls during a race, especially without a dedicated (non-racing) communication vessel. I do think sat phones are easier for downloading GRIB's, especially if you subscribe to file compression software (like XGate).

For SHTP2006 I bought an Icom M802 (at a significant discount - it was an Icom "repack"). I chose it because the heavy part of the unit could be mounted out of the way, with just the the control head, speaker and microphone mounted above my nav shelf. The 802 is also set up better for use with a modem, although I decided to spend the modem money on a sat phone (at about the same cost). With any of the Icom SSB's, carry an extra microphone because several in our fleet have failed.

Regarding position reporting, I see the latest attempts to make tracking devices work (Bermuda 1-2 and OSTAR) were spotty. Here's a link to IonEarth's tracking of the 2009 TransPac, using the Iridium system. Let's see how it works:

http://race.ionearth.com/2009/tpyc/transpac/

Neither sat phones nor trackers allow roll-call type check-ins, where we get all the positions and can talk among the fleet. Once you've done the race you realize how much this adds to the experience, hence the nearly unanimous desire for SSB's among SHTP veterans.

seabird51
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Ditto on Bob's comments about the SSP requirement. A lower cost alternative would be a used old Icom M700. It is a bigger box and can not work with a modem but puts out 150 W all the time.
I saw one in SD last year at an electronics dealer for $500 (radio and tuner) complete. Icom in Seattle can refurbish for a reasonable cost.
I remain satisfied with my M700 and use Iridium and X-Gate for gribs and email.
Hope to reunite with all of you in 2010.
Lou

BobJ
07-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I've been attempting to check on TransPac09 via IonEarth about 3x day, and have been able to reach the tracker only half the time. Even then, distances-to-finish no longer show - you just get a nice graphic and boat speeds.

Anyone else have better luck?

FRakaFDR
07-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I look at the tracker about twice a day and have always been able to get through. The distance to go seemed to stop working a couple of days ago. I find that the 24 hour run reported in the daily reports is more informative than the individual data in the boat tracker. It doesn't look like the folks that started on 29 June will be there in time for the trophies, but the big boys that started on 5 July will have more favorable weather.

BobJ
07-07-2009, 01:02 PM
My friends on the J/120 are up over nine knots at last report, fastest of the early starters except for Relentless. Go J World!