PDA

View Full Version : Fleet check-in idea

tiger beetle
07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I read through the TransPac 2009 (full crew transpac out of Los Angeles), and rather like what they are doing with daily checkins within the fleet:

http://www.transpacrace.com/docs/2009racedocs/TPYC2009_SI.pdf

8AM SSB check-in across the fleet with dedicated communications yacht Alaska Eagle (ex-Flyer) to provide your 6AM position, and the interesting wrinkle is that Alaska Eagle will also accept positions received via email from the racers (e.g., email sent from the racer to the comm boat).

This might help our racing comm boat out as well, as it provides an additional path to the comm boat (redundancy) that does not appear to increase unduly the work of the comm boat.

A downside is that the positions are 2 hours old (not 30 minutes old), and the time required by the comm boat to establish an email connection via SSB & sailmail/winlink. I do not know if Iridium email is quicker to establish than SSB (I have not used Iridium email).

The LA TransPac is requiring SSB radios and you need to be in on the roll call in case local weather conditions are requested by the comm boat. This also means that there is a feedback loop for emailed positions: if Alaska Eagle reads out your emailed position over the radio then you know the email was received; if Alaska Eagle asks for your position then you know the email did not get through in time.

We've tried having racers telephone the comm boat via sat phone directly (that did not work too well), and route positions through the RC and back to the comm boat (that was a lot of extra hassle and headache). It strikes me that emailing data directly to the comm boat has good upside potential with minimal additional effort on the part of RC and the comm boat.

We would require SSB for check-in, and in addition allow competitors to email the position data in advance. This does require that the comm boat have email capability and if the email fails to get through it's no big deal. It also allows a competitor that has an iridium/email gateway setup on board to continue checking in even if the SSB radio goes down (that's the redundancy part).

What do people think? I think it's an interesting idea.

- rob/beetle

Alchera
07-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I think this is OK if you have a dedicated comm boat, or even a crewed one. But I think that gathering all the emails could be pretty time consuming for a singlehander. That's why during the last SSS TransPac we permitted emails to the race committee, and left it up to the RC to consolidate all the emails and put them together for the comm boat.

I could see how if you had a dedicated comm boat, getting the positions ahead of time before checkin could save time, since all you would have to do in that case is read out the positions.

- Mark

Velocious
07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I am in the no SSB required camp, but if a check in is required and will incur a penalty there MUST be an alternate back up means of check in. In 04, my SSB worked great until it took a bath the first day out and never transmitted thereafter. I would have been mighty unhappy if I couldn't check in with the Sat Phone as back-up. I have had really bad luck with SSB, and I don't feel they are super reliable on little ultralight boats that are REALLY WET. As an aside, they really strain the electron budget for boats running solar only, and I would have had a hard time near the end of the race if it had been working. I realize this is part of the eternal battle and it feels much like the arguments over abortion, immigration and taxes that play out in our government. There is no middle ground: One side believes you must have an SSB or the world will come to an end and the other side believes that the SSB is the portent to the end of the world. Personally, I understand that it can make the race more fun for some people so they can chat at cocktail hour. I also see that it can be a boon to safety, although I believe we overregulate that aspect of our sport. IMHO, it should be a choice, not a requirement. If its required then provide redundency so it is not as burdensome. I would be happy to rent a tracking unit for $1000 rather than spend $2500 on the SSB, tuner, copper, installation etc only to have it fail on me again. (I really hate those damn things) George

BobJ
07-19-2009, 10:50 AM
As written elsewhere, it appears check-ins via SSB will be required (Update: Strongly encouraged but not required) for the 2010 SHTP. However if a boat has a SSB installed and has been making check-ins with it, and then it craps out, I see no reason why another form of check-in couldn't be allowed solely as a backup.

Without a dedicated (non-racing) communication boat to handle e-mails, sat-phone calls, carrier-pigeon drops and all manner of other communication from the fleet, there needs to be a standard (IMO). Any alternative to that standard should be allowed in very limited circumstances.

From the skipper's perspective, each of us makes a huge commitment of time, money, and in some cases family harmony, etc. to do the SHTP. It is also a race and most of us are pretty competitive. To put our entire effort at risk (via time penalties) because one piece of gear breaks down is asking a lot - perhaps too much.

Alchera
07-19-2009, 11:06 AM
To put our entire effort at risk (via time penalties) because one piece of gear breaks down is asking a lot - perhaps too much.

I agree, though perhaps during the boat inspection the skipper should be required to demonstrate the use of the SSB - too many skippers obviously have not adequately tested or used the SSB prior to the race and then we find out that it doesn't work or that they don't know how to switch channels!

As for the backup method of checkin, I'm still in favor of the method used in the last SHTP, whereby a skipper could check in by having an email sent (by any means possible) to the RC.

- Mark

BobJ
07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes, that's why they need to have been making check-ins with their SSB before it craps out.

Since it is hopefully only one boat having to use a backup means, it would be better for the comm boat to have their positions (vs. the RC) so they can be passed on to the fleet at every check-in. Nobody should be allowed to drop into stealth mode because "oops, my SSB won't work . . ."

As I recall we often didn't get the sat-phone boats' positions during the '08 race.

Alchera
07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, that's why they need to have been making check-ins with their SSB before it craps out.

Since it is hopefully only one boat having to use a backup means, it would be better for the comm boat to have their positions (vs. the RC) so they can be passed on to the fleet at every check-in. Nobody should be allowed to drop into stealth mode because "oops, my SSB won't work . . ."

As I recall we often didn't get the sat-phone boats' positions during the '08 race.

As I remember it, the main problem we had with getting the satphone boat positions back to the fleet was that we didn't have a shoreside person assigned responsibility to consolidate email positions until the very last moment, and that didn't seem to work all that well at times. I don't think it was a problem with the boats so much. We could probably improve on the process with a little focus and prior planning and commitment on the shore side.

- Mark

Ergo
07-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm really glad this is getting discussed now rather than a month before the next race. For what it's worth, the missing link in this discussion is the race chair who should have a major say in any decision regarding the race. It's fine to point out what may be possible with more shoreside support but, at this point, I have no idea where that shoreside support is going to come from.

I have asked a few SHTP vets (I believe it should be someone who has done the race) if they were interested in chairing the next race - no takers. I'd like to get the 2012 race documents posted as soon as the LongPac is completed. Ragtime has done a great job in putting together a first draft but, again, It would be best to have the race chair involved in trashing out the details.

In past years, the chairs and committees have done amazing jobs and we've had really great races. It seems, however, that technology, CG race permit requirements, a committment to make each succeeding race better than the last one, etc. make this a much more difficult exercise than the '78 race in which skippers took their own times, anchored and swam ashore to a bar to tell folks they'd finished. Part of what is needed for another great SHTP in 2012 is for someone to step up and help make it happen.

"Where are you: the world wonders" Message sent by Admiral Chester Nimitz to Bull Halsey, circa 1942.

Ergo
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
While I would like to get the 2012 race docs in hand, I suppose we should really get the 2010 docs done first. I'm looking for a new boat for 2012 and I guess that's become the "next" race in my head.

Bill Merrick

solosailor
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Here we go again. We have done this many times.... why are we going to make the SSB the sole means of checking in?

See update - SSB's are strongly encouraged but not required.

BobJ
08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Read the next sentence Greg.

Sparky
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Alchera
"I agree, though perhaps during the boat inspection the skipper should be required to demonstrate the use of the SSB - too many skippers obviously have not adequately tested or used the SSB prior to the race and then we find out that it doesn't work or that they don't know how to switch channels!"

Prior to last year's SHTP, someone set up SSB practice sessions that were very helpful...especially for a first-timer.

tiger beetle
08-06-2009, 12:02 PM
While I would like to get the 2012 race docs in hand, I suppose we should really get the 2010 docs done first. I'm looking for a new boat for 2012 and I guess that's become the "next" race in my head.

Bill Merrick

How about having a meeting for the TransPac 2010 rules, similiar to what we did for the LongPac required equipment at Synthia's sail loft? I do not believe that the club needs to wait for a TransPac chair in order to publish the race rules, equipment requirements, etc.

- rob

BobJ
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I'd be open to that. In fact, to make this process more open I'll elaborate:

I have quite a few hours into the 2010 drafts, although substantive changes from 2008's rules are minor. With subsequent input from my informal polls on this board and comments I've received, I'd like to do one more edit and then I could send drafts out to the group (a morph'd LongPac safety committee?).

One comparison I made was to the 2002 rules (which Rob drafted). The only major change since then was the addition of storm sails, which really paid off in the 2004 race. I was pleasantly surprised how little has actually been added since 2002.

I'd especially welcome Rob's and Mark's input to close the loop on the communications/SSB/Roll-Call issue, which I believe comes down to how much burden we want to place on the volunteer comm boat(s). I think you two guys have the recent experience and technical knowledge to make good decisions on this thorny issue.

Anyway, I am not trying to be the R/C but for the benefit of those planning to race to Kauai in 2010, I really want to see the rules finished and published. I think it is up to the SSS board how they want to proceed though.

Frankly the NOR is the bigger issue at this moment. If you publish a NOR you need to be prepared to put on a race.

Ergo
08-07-2009, 07:38 AM
With the 2009 LP behind us I'm all for moving ahead with the 2010 TP docs with the exception of the NOR. When Bob is finished with his next draft, we'll set a date.

Bill Merrick

brianb
08-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello All,

Suppose an outside station, on a shore line somewhere or several shorelines could communicate well with the racers via SSB. Would a check in with a network of shore stations be appealing/acceptable to SHTP racers ?

Brian

BobJ
08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
It's appealing since it may not burden one of the racers with Comm Boat duties.

However, my recollection is that attempts to get a consistent signal to a shore station on either end of the course via SSB have not been successful. Yet in the two races I've done, nearly every boat made every SSB check-in with a Comm Boat out on the course. It seems there are too many sources of interference for a shore station, plus the quality of SSB signals varies so much within the fleet, especially as the boats get spread out.

brianb
08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
There is a network today that works very well, nightly, over the exact same region. It is known as the seafarers net. They do a nightly roll call of vessels scattered across the pacific. They are quite successful at it. They have contribution stations on shore in California, Fiji, Hawaii, Australia, South America, and New Zealand. The net is run from Fiji most evenings.

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/yotreps/pacseanet.php
See their nightly roll call

You could get around any "weak" signals as you do today. You have those that can copy on the water relay those positions.

The way this would work. Early in the race you would be speaking to a Hawaii station or Fijian station, or possibly a Washington station. Middle course region, probably Hawaii or Fiji, or possibly Washington. End course region probably California or Fiji. With a network of station copying signals and capturing position data your not likely to miss anything.

BobJ
08-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks Brian, we'll stir that into the pot.

(Fluxgate problems seem to be solved - 2 degrees of deviation on one and 6 degrees on the other, before automatic correction. I can live with that.

Now I can switch A/P's "on the fly." The only part that's not redundant is the tiller itself (and presently the electrical source).

All dressed up and nowhere to go :(

brianb
08-13-2009, 12:06 AM
So wanted to tell you my experience in long pac with RayM ST5000 control head. In short, precisely the same symptoms you described to me. An offset of up to 40 deg would develop. Twice the AP went nuts.

Here is my theory:

These problems would always develop at night in foggy/damp condx where water would condense on the control head (and everything else on deck). Like clock work, it would fail around 1 am.

A fluxgate compass has to make some very sensitive measurements of analog voltage levels that come back from the fluxgate module. Moisture can be wicked into fiber glass panels via the fibers. Or condensation can occur on the surface of circuit boards. Both can cause a drop in resistance on/in the board between electrical connections. (I used to design precision instruments at Hewlett Packard).

The AP would start functioning again after I would set thecontrol head in the sun ( had to do this two days in a row) for about an hour.

I am certain the RM AP's are not properly designed for moisture. The boards are absorbing moisture and can take on a permanent offset or fail all together. I plan to take my RM unit apart and dry all elements then isolate the sensitive nodes with teflon offsets and see what happens.

bb

BobJ
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Since I sidetracked this anyway . . .

How is your AP head mounted? The newer ST-60 "Plus" instruments came with gaskets to go between the instruments and the bulkhead. I got an extra one and installed it under the older AP head (a 6001). The instruments are not flush mounted but still protrude inside the cabin (so they are protected but can ventilate).

Sailing home from the SHTP in 2006, there were times when a regular stream of water was running over the instrument heads but they didn't seem to be affected. Maybe this is something that Raymarine has improved?

Hesperus
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
The Pacific Seafarers Net operates on Ham channels, so, if the SSS wanted to use them for check-in, Ham licences would be required.

tiger beetle
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
...perhaps during the boat inspection the skipper should be required to demonstrate the use of the SSB...
Yep, that's typically part of the equipment inspection:

1. do you have an SSB?
2. can you bring up WWV?

If the skipper can do that then it is demonstrated that the radio works and the skipper has at least a limited knowledge of how the radio is operated.

- rob/beetle

Alchera
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Yep, that's typically part of the equipment inspection:

1. do you have an SSB?
2. can you bring up WWV?

If the skipper can do that then it is demonstrated that the radio works and the skipper has at least a limited knowledge of how the radio is operated.

- rob/beetle

Unfortunately, that's not enough knowledge to actually successfully operate the radio at checkin. I would go a little further, make them dial in one of the SSS frequencies and show that it is operating as a simplex channel on upper sideband. If there was an easy way to actually make them contact a remote station, I would require that as well, but I don't know how to make that practical. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

- Mark/Alchera

BobJ
08-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll be sending you guys an e-mail so we can get together about this.

My main concern about knowing that a boat's SSB works is that any backup means of making roll-call remains a backup, thus keeping the Comm boat's job manageable.

Is it possible to borrow one of those SW(?) meters so the inspector could see what was reaching the SSB antenna?

Contacting a remote station would be great but would probably require getting the boat away from shore. Perhaps that could be combined with an e-rudder test, but it's putting quite a burden on the inspectors.

brianb
08-15-2009, 10:38 PM
The Pacific Seafarers Net operates on Ham channels, so, if the SSS wanted to use them for check-in, Ham licences would be required.

Correct. I was using a very successful network as an example of working communication from ship to shore with the pacific basin ringed in shore stations all manned with volunteers. SSB marine could accomplish the same thing.

The club might give this consideration, as a trial maybe. A hybrid approach could be used. If shore stations are successful in copying positions the comm boat need not take the full burden.

Brian

brianb
08-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I'll be sending you guys an e-mail so we can get together about this.

My main concern about knowing that a boat's SSB works is that any backup means of making roll-call remains a backup, thus keeping the Comm boat's job manageable.

Is it possible to borrow one of those SW(?) meters so the inspector could see what was reaching the SSB antenna?

Contacting a remote station would be great but would probably require getting the boat away from shore. Perhaps that could be combined with an e-rudder test, but it's putting quite a burden on the inspectors.

How many inspectors do you have ? A simple detector could be made to assure energy is getting to the antenna. It could be used with a cheap digital volt meter to measure antenna current.

Actually one antenna tuner brand recommends testing their tuner with a 100 watt light bulb clipped to the antenna. And I have to say it works every time.

BobJ
08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
How many inspectors do you have?

None, but then we don't have any entries either.

Now that LongPac is "in the books" things are happening behind the scenes for SH TransPac. Maybe it's time for an early-interest poll to see how many of you are seriously thinking about it.

The first poll will be anonymous but the next one will include contracts to sign.

Eric Thomas
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Please have people prove they can use the SSB and run some simple tests. Time and again people neglect to get to know their new gear. Rob had to show me how to use my radio at my inspection, luckily it worked well! On Tracking, its simple and actually cheap, we just did a week long race with ION Earth, worked great good service, and Hundreds of Thousands of page hits. Granted as a racing participant I never looked at it, but all the friends and family do. These are the people who actually cut one the slack and mow the lawn while we are gone sailing. You have to do something for the fans!:cool:

John Hayward
09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi All,

As to checking SSB operation and knowledge, I can offer a possible solution. I have a shore station in the mountains south of Livermore and we could set a schedule as we get close to departure time and stations could check in/chat with me from their boats and I could keep a record of who checked in/signal strength/etc. and pass it along to the inspectors as proof of SSB operation. This would also allow for some stations that have no familiarity with talking on the radio to practice and they could try changing settings/adding grounds/etc. and see it that made their signal better or worse. This is something that would not be appropriate during the race. Stations would be required to be disconnected from shore power when checking in to make this test realistic.

Also, I was comm boat for about half of the last race and might be for some of this race, and I think if the comm boat needs to check email before the check in's it doesn't matter if there is one email from the race committee or 5 from individual boats. You get the email(s) and enter them in the log and read them back during the SSB check in period. It seems that boats emailing their position directly to the comm boat eliminates any shoreside participation at specific times twice a day which might make getting shoreside volunteers easier.

For Rob, My SSB crapped out day 2 on the way home and I used the sat phone with the AirMail software to email from then on. It is *very* fast, even compared to a Pactor 3 modem with a good signal. I will have 2 SSB's this trip in addition to the sat phone though as I really enjoy talking to the other boats on the way and missed it on the way home.

John
Dream Chaser

Critter
09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Can anyone recommend a primer on this SSB mumbo jumbo? Either a website or a not-too-long book? Mark wrote "... show that it is operating as a simplex channel on upper sideband" which is worse than Greek to me since I know a little Greek.

The business about lining the bilge with copper foil makes about as much sense to me as killing a chicken and sprinkling its blood.

Thanks for any pointers ...
Max

BobJ
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
RobT and I met last night to hammer out the rest of the seminar schedule. Like last time, there will be a seminar on offshore communications where SSB's (among other things) will be discussed. When do you plan to install your radio?

FWIW, I'm not sure I know what Mark is talking about either, and I made every SSB check-in with a good signal. Also, you'll probably need some copper foil but you won't have to line the bilge with it. Do you have access to your keel bolts?

Critter
09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
RobT and I met last night to hammer out the rest of the seminar schedule. Like last time, there will be a seminar on offshore communications where SSB's (among other things) will be discussed. When do you plan to install your radio?

FWIW, I'm not sure I know what Mark is talking about either, and I made every SSB check-in with a good signal. Also, you'll probably need some copper foil but you won't have to line the bilge with it. Do you have access to your keel bolts?

Thanks Bob. I plan to install an SSB as soon as I have any money, which may not be in time for the 2010 race since I'm currently down to working 3-4 days a week.

Yes, I have access to my keel bolts and I understand that may be an option. But I like to know something about the theory behind what I'm doing rather than just following instructions.

Max

BobJ
09-17-2009, 11:51 AM
There are two or three reprinted articles that cover SSB's pretty well, which get handed out every time we have the seminars. I'll scan them and create a link so you can access them (now that I know how to do that). They've been duplicated/circulated so many times that they're probably "in the public domain" for copyright purposes.

I did my own installation from those articles and tips from this board. There are just a couple of things you need from outside sources (other than the radio and tuner). It's not a bad project really, and very gratifying when you turn it on for the first time and hear people chatting from all over the Western Hemisphere. Knowing you have a good transmitted signal is harder, but it sounds like John H has a setup to help test that out (thanks John).

tiger beetle
09-17-2009, 01:29 PM
FWIW, I'm not sure I know what Mark is talking about either

To understand Mark's comment it's helpful to understand that SSB radio operates on the sideband of a given frequency, not on the carrier frequency. As a result you can squeeze more 'bands' into a given channel space by utilizing upper or lower sideband, rather than the entire band; the radio also consumes less electrical power by only broadcasting half of the signal. That's why the radio is called 'Single Side Band' - it operates on one side of the band (and yes, you can choose which side to operate on).

So it's helpful to know, for a given frequency you wish to communicate on, are you going to operate on upper sideband, or lower sideband? There are conventions in place as to which frequencies will operate on which sideband - those are the conventions that made it possible for you to use the radio without knowing about this stuff, and you got lucky.

As regards simplex: simplex means that you talk and listen on the same frequency, like a VHF radio does. SSB radios also support the concept of duplex - you may talk on one frequency and listen on another frequency, much like a telephone works. Again there are conventions regarding SSB numbered channels that assign the channel as duplex or simplex. Those conventions, and the fact that somebody set up the radio's internal channel memory, let you use the radio withing knowing this, and you got lucky.

Upshot: it's helpful to have at least rudimentary knowledge regarding the equipment you have, or else you can wind up being unable to use the radio if you don't realize that you can be on the wrong sideband, or have punched up one half of a simplex channel frequency without realizing that there's a second half you also need to set. If you don't even know such a thing is possible you would never think to look for the problem :) And that's definitely no fun on your own 800 miles offshore.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
09-17-2009, 01:59 PM
My ICOM-M802 was programmed well enough "out-of-the-box" that I was able to go to the check-in frequencies, hit the "Tune" button (for the automatic tuner to adjust the antenna) and transmit/receive fine. Since I installed it early and learned how to use the functions I needed, I wouldn't say I just got lucky.

You would need to be more careful if you bought a used SSB and tuner off of E-Bay, Craigslist, etc. It would be worth it to have Don Melcher (HF Radio Onboard) or similar person test the radio and do any possible/necessary programming to use it sucessfully during the race.

I'll take a risk and say that this is probably sufficient for our race (Rob and others may not agree). If you are planning to spend more time offshore cruising, etc. then a more detailed understanding of the radio's operation would be necessary.

Hesperus
09-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Max,

I know that time is short, but you might consider contacting a local Ham radio club and see if they offer classes in preparation for taking the Ham license exam. If the instructors are good you will learn a lot about radios and related jargon. You will also get a ham license so that you can use the ham frequencies if your radio is up to it.

Paul Woodward
s/v Hesperus

jakmang
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
It is probably a little bit late for 2010, but I think future races should think about technology that is a couple years old already.

1) Use of DSC-MMSI via SSB and/or VHF. This would allow one button try and retry of broadcast of position information to one or more known base stations or comm boats. This is much simpler and more reliable than hand tuning. Data would be sent in a digital burst. The GPS information can and should be automatically wired to the radio. The downside is the requirement of a DSC- ready radio. Major models in the last couple of years have this.

2) Use of a satellite tracker such as SPOT messenger service. This is fairly cheap - $150 for a years service. Rates could be negotiated for a fleet.

Cheers,
-jak

John Hayward
10-08-2009, 04:18 PM
As to SPOT messenger, it works great if we all want to turn around about two thirds of the way to HI cause it stops working about there according to their maps and my experience with it last year. Great for letting friends and family know where you are coastal cruising however.

John
Dream Chaser

Matt
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I have the 25 satellite transponders that were used for the LongPac and EYC Coastal Cup in 2009.

I believe we are still planning on using these in the TransPac to test the technology and make the best use of the SSS investment depending on the costs and the interest of the racers.

The cost of operating these is $20/year + transmission costs (.10/ping) and they use the same GlobalStar satellite network as the SPOT. We have not yet made a determination of costs for using these in the TranPac since there is a cost associated with setting up the maps and database for the race.

We are interested in how well the SPOT and other GlobalStar land based satellite technologies work out to Hawaii. The technology is improving but, for our application, is still in an experimental phase. Your experience with the SPOT out to Hawaii is relevant. I believe Ruben also had some strange experiences with the SPOT and relatives wanting to know where he was when it wasn't working.

I would not rely on satellite transponders as the mechanism for fleet checkin considering our experience with the LongPac this year but it would be a good way for people to follow the race online at least 3/4 of the way.

Matt

glythcott
10-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Bob, I tried to use your links (thanks) but the links sent me to web sites that were selling stuff???

BobJ
10-25-2009, 12:25 PM
See Culebra's post below for new links to the articles.

Culebra
10-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Bob, it appears the files have been downloaded the maximum number of times allowed.:(

Paul

Culebra
10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Ah ha:)... links for each one of Bob's downloads:

http://www.point.at/pdf/Marine%20grounding_E.pdf

http://www.farallon.us/webstore/Pcup%20SSB.pdf

http://www.sailmail.com/grounds.htm

http://www.airmail2000.com/rfi.htm

BobJ
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks Paul! I wasn't sure I could set up those downloads again. I'll bet those are more current versions of the articles too. I'll take down the other links.

Mixing threads, but I just consolidated the two boxes of KVH parts into one and will bring it to the next meeting, which is November 16th.

I decided to hang onto the heading sensors since they're still made. I'm a keypad short of having an entire SailComp 103AC system and I think they still make the SailComp keypads. That was always a good system for 'round the buoys stuff.

On the other hand there's yet another Quadro brain box and an original manual!

jakmang
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Latitude 38 says there is a Pacific Cup talk on Sailmail (http://www.sailmail.com/) this Saturday, Oct 31, 10:00am at the Richmond Yacht Club.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2009-10-26&dayid=342#Story5

This may help people new to SSBs, email and grib retrieval over a Pactor modem.

Please RSVP by email (Seminars@PacificCup.org) or sign up at www.pacificcup.org (http://www.pacificcup.org).

Cheers,
-jak

SSS.ScottP
10-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Here is an interesting link I found while searching for information on SSB grounding. Thought I would pass it along. Just thoughts ...
http://www.kp44.org/ftp/SeawaterGroundingFor_HF_Radios_byGordonWest.pdf

Scott

Jeff Lebesch
12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
That's a great article; when Gordon West writes, I pay attention. His testing totally debunks the huge capacitive ground plane thought to be required by conventional wisdom. My boat (Hecla) has the classic bronze grounding plates installed by some previous owner, seemingly intact but a bit green around the connections. I was disappointed by my radio range on the 2008 SHTP, and had to give up the comm boat job when I put some distance on the fleet. I will purge from my list any thoughts of more ground plane, and concentrate on good clean connections and all around quality installation. I think the devil is in the details for good SSB pereformance. --Jeff