PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Transponders

Matt
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
This is a message for any of the finished LongPac racers using the transponders on their boats. Could you take the transponder and put it in a metal box until the trophy meeting? This will save a few bucks and the transponders won't be tracking wherever they go over the next couple weeks before the trophy meeting.

It should be sufficient to flip the transponder over or block the top of the unit with something metal to prevent the signal from reaching the satellite. I'll give people a call to let them know if they don't read this message.

tiger beetle
08-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Could you take the transponder and put it in a metal box until the trophy meeting?

I put mine in its box, upside down, in the oven - that should work. I hope I remember to pop it out of the oven before baking cookies...

Thanks, Matt!

- rob

brianb
08-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Yikes....mine is sitting exposed in Richmond, 70 miles away. Is it a big deal if it runs another 6 days ?

Brian

brianb
08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Hello Tinker,

Would it be possible to get a file of the raw captured data ? It would be interesting to play with the data for analysis purposes.

Thanks,

Brian

tiger beetle
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Yikes....mine is sitting exposed in Richmond, 70 miles away. Is it a big deal if it runs another 6 days ?

Brian

Hi Brian -

Matt told me the data transmission costs are 10 cents eaches, so the transponder on Red Sky is costing the club $1.20 per day as it keeps transmitting every two hours.

Is there anyone you know near the boat that could go on board and turn the unit over so it's face down?

- rob

Cover Craft
08-11-2009, 09:20 PM
My shop is in Brickyard Cove and my boat's ay Richmond YC, I'm there every day. What's the slip # and where's the transponder?
Tom Krase, Constellation 510-234-4400

tiger beetle
08-12-2009, 07:54 AM
My shop is in Brickyard Cove and my boat's ay Richmond YC, I'm there every day. What's the slip # and where's the transponder?
Tom Krase, Constellation 510-234-4400

Most likely the one with all the dots on it!

- rob

Cover Craft
08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Ah, that would be F-30. I took the liberty of wrapping the transponder in aluminum foil at 0830 Wednesday, hope that will stop it.
The transponder was beeping :confused:(I didn't know it could do that) when I got there, glad I wasn't in the next slip. Beeping stopped as soon as I started wrapping. Curious to know what causes it to start beeping, mine might have fallen overboard if that had started while sailing...:D

brianb
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
THanks alot !!!! THat is just what I was going to suggest.....THe foil should kill it. I should be there on teh weekend to pull it off the boat.

Thank you..

Brian