PDA

View Full Version : The Voyage Alone in the Yawl "Rob Roy" - John MacGregor 1893

Matt
08-10-2009, 09:18 AM
I read for the first time, "The Voyage Alone in the Yawl Rob Roy" by John MacGregor 1893. This story about one of the first recreational single handed sailors has rejuvenated my enjoyment while sailing solo on Tinker. I'm sure many in the SSS have already read it. The book was transcribed online at the end of 2008 into gutenberg.org: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/27235 Enjoy :)

Matt

Wylieguy
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Matt, The Rob Roy account sparked a flood of cruising in small boat adventures in Europe and America. It's a great read; I'm glad you found it. Here are a couple of other short handed sailing accounts I've found interesting over the years (aargh! the retired college English professor in me emerges).

1."The Ship Would Not Travel Due West" by David Lewis. This is the account of sailing "Cardinal Vertue" (a 5-ton Vertue) on the first single-handed transatlantic race.

2. "My Old Man and the Sea" by David and Daniel Hays. The account of a father/son due sailing their fiberglass (ironically) Vertue around Cape Horn.

Pat B.