PDA

View Full Version : SHTP Interest Poll

BobJ
08-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Feel free to "out" yourselves if you're willing - it's always fun to see who's getting ready for the race. Start some threads about issues you're facing and ways you've resolved them - that's what this SHTP sub-board is all about.

So here we go - like last time, a scale of 1 to 5 . . .

seabird51
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Seabird is a 3-likely but could upgrade in near future. Amnesia is deadly!
Lou

Ergo
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I was thinking about a grand strategy for 2010 but have returned to more realistic thinking. I'm a definite 1.

Bill Merrick

Hesperus
08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Hesperus is a 2.5 or so at this point. I am hoping to go, but since the I'm 3000 miles from the boat, I'm not actively preparing. Regarding a shore station for comm duties, I believe that it is illegal for a land station to transmit on the marine frequencies, thus the ships at sea would have to check in on the Ham frequencies, thus requiring a ham license. I would be in favor or using a shore station for com duties (largely because of the work required). But it might be a good idea to relax the check in requirements if such is used. When I delivered Hesperus back to the mainland in '07 (after the '06 race), a 26 day passage (as I recall), there were perhaps 4 or 5 days when propagation was poor and no one could report to the Pacific Seafarers net. (One day three boats, of the 8 or 10 on the list, were able to report: Hesperus and two others via Hesperus. The mighty Hesperus, 24 feet long, had the strongest radio on the ocean. And still I couldn't get my report in on a significant number of days.) (I'm not braging there, I purchased the radio from HF Offshore and installed it as they recommended. They know their stuff, for any one who is thinking about installing an SSB.)

Any way, if a shore station is to be used, relaxing the check in requirements might be a good call.

Paul Woodward
s/v Hesperus

brianb
08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
The FCC issues many types of licenses for Marine and Commercial operation. A fixed base license is available. Note that many YC's have same, hence in Transpac and Pac CUp races boats check in on SSB routinely at the 100 miles to go mark.

Is the club willing to try a no risk experiment ? If so I am willing to attempt to organize the shore stations as I have the contacts.

FRakaFDR
08-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Right now Prankster is about 1.5. I would prefer to go singlehanded rather than doublehanded in the PacCup but SSS has scheduled its race too early in the year and they seem to be still hung up on SSB radios. PacCup is letting the doublehanders go with sat phones.
Your southern cousins at PSSA have figured out how to do checkins the easy, reliable way. All it takes is one person ashore with a telephone line. Twice a day each boat uses its sat phone to call the shore based phone and talk to the person there. The competitor states his Lat-Lon and the shore person relays any emergency info if necessary. Then twice a day the shore person makes a recording of everyone’s position on the answering machine so competitors can call in again and hear everyone’s position. A variation on the answering machine is to send reports (for free) on the Iridium E-mail system. This is limited to 160 characters per message but you can send multiple messages. Of course any competitor that wants to have a SSB on board and chat endlessly is welcome to do so. There is no need for a comm boat and 50 and 25 mile arrival checkins can be done with the sat phone and/or Marine VHF.
We have used this system successfully in the past two Guadalupe Island races and will be using it again this March for the 2010 edition. It seems to me that this system fulfills all of the SSS requirements except inertia and the “not invented here” problem. Am I missing something?
Frank Ross, Prankster

BobJ
08-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm glad you're still thinking about our race, Frank.

There will be some SHTP announcements tomorrow night at the LongPac awards meeting.

FYI, I went back to 1996 (all the records I could find) and out of eight SHTP's, seven of them started in June, as early as June 15th. As was written elsewhere, there would have been no weather benefit to starting in July this year. Also the boats from up north welcome the extra time to get home.

Based on the length of the Guad Is. race and few number of entries, I could see where the sat phone calls could work for you guys. But that would be one expensive phone bill for the entrants in the SHTP. My sat phone costs in 2008's race were one of my biggest costs and like most of our fleet, I already had the SSB. I used the phone almost entirely for downloading GRIB's and used file compression software to keep the calls very short.

cafemontaigne
08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm interested in doing the race. I put myself as "3" but will probably upgrade once I'm done with my qualifying cruise and the rules come out.

Adrian

Critter
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm about 2.25 at this point. I'd put it a little higher, but the job/money thing is looking a bit shaky at this point.

Max

BobJ
08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
+1 Max - that's been my problem. Well, that and a low inventory of domestic relations offsets.

We're doing pretty well so far, but it appears I need to declare options 4 and 5 as a "Bad Karma-Free" Zone. No bad karma to say you're really going to race. Actually I found that it helped to strengthen my resolve and all that crap. Besides, it's anonymous.

I've talked to a few of you and I know you're out there - ante up.

Oceanslogic
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
O.L. 33 Tamara is a 5....We are currently preparing....:)

haulback
08-20-2009, 05:36 AM
Haulback is pretty much good-to-go as she sits. New paint job, and re-rigged, this time with double spreaders. All bottom paint removed and bottom faired a bit better.

Larger bookshelf.......

I will be there for sure, depending on being able to arrange for guys to fill in for me at work. Probably about 80% sure I can pull it off again. I put myself as a 3.

One other boat up here is probably about a 4.5 for going, and there is another guy who is a possiblity.....but hasn't started to actively prepare yet

gagould
08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I missed the 2008 TransPac due to prostrate cancer. Now that that is over I am at a "4". I would say "5", but it is too early for that kind of commitment.

Islander 36, "Pakele"
Gary Gould

glythcott
08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
TAZ!! is a 5. Waiting to find out if SSB is going to be required.

George

BobJ
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
George, will you be taking a satphone?

How about the rest of you who voted "3" or higher?

cafemontaigne
08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Depends somewhat on what is required in the rules. I have an SSB I got off ebay but haven't installed in the boat. If SSB isn't required and the installation is looking painful I might just get a satphone and ditch the SSB. If SSB is required I will most likely not get a satphone.

Adrian

Oceanslogic
08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Just scored an SSB...I hear the chatting along the way is part of the fun :) Tamara will most likely just have SSB and perhaps a SPOT to keep the crew back home informed...SSB + Sat Phone + Sat Phone Minutes = $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Lots more to do...

Culebra
08-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Culebra is eager to go and making serious preparations. Not looking forward to buying and installing $$B (if you catch my drift), but I'm expecting it to be required, so I'm adjusting my mind to the reality of the expense and the installation effort. I will have a SAT phone too. My feeling is that for people like me (non-cruisers making infrequent ocean passages) SSB is a luxury--high social value, added sense of security--and maybe (and I'm not convinced here) it supports easier check-in (have we really tried hard enough on the check-in options?). Could be that SAT phone is the only reliable (and portable) communication system in a serious emergency, even if the boat's electrics give up the ghost for a while, so I'm bringing it. I like elegant systems and SSB just isn't elegant (cut the backstay, lay copper sheets and ribbons, pump out monster amps... not elegant). Maybe somebody is smart enough to figure out a better way? But I'll be damned if I let you all have the fun without me... I'm going.:cool:

BobJ
08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
It is gratifying to know so many of you are preparing for a go at this craziness! As SHTP 2010's newly-crowned co-chairs, Rob and I are also relieved - we hate to put on a party where nobody shows up.

Just to confirm, the rules (including communications) are still in draft form and will not be finalized until the rules committee meets on September 9th. It is GREAT that many of you are well along in your preparations but I don't want you to throw stuff at us if we end up surprising you on some requirement.

Of course there's always E-Bay and yacht club flea markets (kidding!)

cr1
08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Greetings...

As a few of you may remember I prepared for the previous SHTP but didn't participate although my wife and I did show up for the banquet and awards on Kauai. I'm committing to 2.5 which means that the boat is prepared from last year (3.0) but as far as personal committment, I'm seriously thinking (2.0).

I've got a SSB in a box with backstay antenna and ground already installed.

And let me just ask one quicky... If I have the SSB, won't I need to install a wind generator to supplement the solar? (I've got 3ea. 105AH AGM's.) Let me know if I shouldn't ask questions here.

(Yikes, quit thinking so hard and go!) On the other hand I'm getting a little bit of pressure to sell the boat so it's possible that I may just put Horizon up for sale as "good to go".

Thanks,

Rich
PSSA down here in Southern California
"Horizon"
Contessa 26

Alchera
08-22-2009, 12:11 PM
And let me just ask one quicky... If I have the SSB, won't I need to install a wind generator to supplement the solar? (I've got 3ea. 105AH AGM's.) Let me know if I shouldn't ask questions here.

I wouldn't count on a wind generator. Even in 'normal' wind conditions, you are likely to generate power only in the first 5 days or so of the race when you are reaching. After that, when the wind backs and it becomes a downwind race, the apparent wind is never really good enough to generate much power. And should there be light air conditions, you may not get any power at all for the entire trip. However, you will have plenty of power in the anchorage at Hanalei!

Keep in mind that you really only have the SSB on for the checkins, which is twice a day for 30-60 minutes, and for most of that time the set is receiving, which is at most a couple of amps. When you transmit, then you can go over 20 amps depending on how loud you speak, and whether you need to use the highest power setting. For my energy budget, where I listen a lot and comment only every so often, I figured about 6AH per day averaged out. So you may be perfectly OK with what you already have, though you didn't mention what your charging system was. Depending on how much you talk, your milage may vary. Any other veterans want to comment on what their SSB energy budget was?

- Mark/Alchera

tiger beetle
08-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Any other veterans want to comment on what their SSB energy budget was?

I didn't have a budget for SSB as I am intentionally running the engine to charge the batteries during roll call.

As Mark points out, a wind generator on TransPac is only useful for the 2-3 days off the California coast when the when might be blowing hard and you're reaching southwest fast. After crossing the ridge, the wind generator doesn't do much.

If a Contessa 26 has an inboard engine available for charging, I would concentrate resources there as regards a charging circuit. If no engine, I would add solar panels to the boat before adding a wind generator.

- rob/beetle

haulback
08-23-2009, 07:23 AM
solar is a good way to go, some of the small boats relied in it exclusivley for all onboard power - on my boat I ran the engine once only, on day 8 or 9, for a couple of hours - it had been overcast since the start. Even then would have been alright not doing so since the sun came out the next day.

After that my battery bank was fully charged by noon of each day. I relied almost exclusivly on autopilot for steering but did not have refrigeration.

As far as an energy budget in concerned I really have no idea what mine might be . I prefer to over-design things instead of doing the math.

Jim/Haulback

John Hayward
08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi All,

I am listing myself as a 5 since I really enjoyed the last trip and am looking forward to this trip. Lots of work to do, but boat is in the yard since I haven't been able to get to it myself.

Solar is wonderful if you have sun (we basically didn't in 08) and your contacts are all weather proofed. Mine worked fine in the desert but were toast by the time I got to HI.

Re: Spot Messenger - I ran it last year and it worked great in the published coverage area. It stopped about about 2/3 of the way to HI coming and going.

I was comm boat for about a week on the last race and it's a lot of work, but it's also lots of fun. It does interfere if you are really trying to win the race. If you go without an HF radio, no matter what the requirements are, you miss a large part of the fun. I really enjoyed the coversations on HF after the checkins and plotting the positions of the boats I was competing with was also part of the fun. I have a Satellite phone as a backup (so the wife doesn't worry if the HF causes problems again) but I plan on HF as my primary means of both voice and email communication.

Hope some of the 2008 competitors come back but if they don't perhaps I will win my division. Still just get a belt buckle, but what the heck.......

John
Dream Chaser
1975 Valiant 40

Eric Thomas
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Bob, Polar Bear has all the gear and the race kitty is full again ( I can not believe how many times they will let me refinance my house!) We are a likely three, got an offer to sail to Norway next summer on a boat with headroom, so we'll keep you updated.

ET

SSS.ScottP
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
So I put myself in at a 2 but am actively preparing my boat. It all depends if my money holds out. I should say if my ship of money rolls in. I am working towards moving up to a 3 ...

Scott

cr1
10-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Greetings...

As a few of you may remember I prepared for the previous SHTP but didn't participate although my wife and I did show up for the banquet and awards on Kauai. I'm committing to 2.5 which means that the boat is prepared from last year (3.0) but as far as personal committment, I'm seriously thinking (2.0).

I've got a SSB in a box with backstay antenna and ground already installed.

(Yikes, quit thinking so hard and go!) On the other hand I'm getting a little bit of pressure to sell the boat so it's possible that I may just put Horizon up for sale as "good to go".

Thanks,

Rich
PSSA down here in Southern California
"Horizon"
Contessa 26

OK here's the latest on me and the SHTP. I'm at 3.5 which is up a full point from last message. Even though I've got Horizon for sale until Christmas, if it doesn't sell I only need to install the SSB, get solar and windlass. Can't believe I couldn't find the number and code for the seminar last night. I feel like I should make a trip up there for a seminar so I can say hi...

Thanks,

Rich and Horizon in Costa Mesa
------------------------------

Oceanslogic
10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Go Rich Go!
Then we could have an International Folkboat vs. Contessa 26 showdown! Jeremy Rogers and Tord Sunden would be soo proud. :) Your boat looks really nice...Hope you make it...

Adam

s/v Blue Moon
International Folkboat #175

Warriors Wish
11-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Warriors Wish is a strong 3 right now, but I am not going to be aboard.....news at 10.....stay tuned

dogbark
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Hoorah, nice work Don. Best wishes Ronnie!

Ragnar
12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Bob,

Prepping the T-Ten for the Guadalupe Race down here. What's keeping the number is the time commitment for the SHTP. A week to get the boat up there, then another month to do the race.

Whitall

multihuler@aol.
12-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I am preparing my rare Dick Newick trimaran for the trip. Downwind may not be my friend as she was built for upwind sailing (the OSTAR) and at this point there really isn't anyone to race against in my class. I ask anyone in my class who has raced or is planning to race to contact me as I need all the help I can get! I am planning on sailing south to qualify asap. Stephen Marcoe "Native" 775 827 2786

Ragnar
12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Stephen,

Come on down for the Guadalupe Island race in March for your qualifier! The race will give you some downwind and upwind work. We're trying to get some other multihulls on the starting line.

Which Newick tri do you have? I'm familiar with a few of them from the late '70's early '80s.

Whitall

multihuler@aol.
12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I have Moxie's older sister, she is Native hull #1 and is the only open wing Native ever built. She was first to finish in the single and doublehanded Farallon Island race 09. She won with only a main and a genoa! Stephen

robtryon
12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Both Mark and Rob say that you can't count on a wind generator for power, but you have to remember that Rob's sailing a 45 ft boat that averages 10 knots on the way to HI and Mark's on a 40 ft racer that can average better than that. So I'm not surprised wind gens don't work for them in the trades.

On the Valiant 32 I sailed to HI, I averaged 4 knots or so and the wind gen supplied most of my electricity on the way over and back. What works for bigger, faster boats may not be right for smaller, slower boats - and vice versa.

Ragnar
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I have Moxie's older sister, she is Native hull #1 and is the only open wing Native ever built. She was first to finish in the single and doublehanded Farallon Island race 09. She won with only a main and a genoa! Stephen

Moxie was a quick boat, to be sure. Was Phil Weld the last American OSTAR winner? I guess the main and Genny is all you need! My father and I were caught in the same storm that flipped Gulf Streamer back in '76.

Whitall

ronnie simpson
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I just upgraded "Warrior's Wish" from a 3 to a 4. I am almost done prepping the boat here in North Carolina, and we should be trailering to San Francisco in a couple of weeks. I am planning my qualifying sail sometime in February or March, and then we'll be a 5. :)

If anyone wants to track our progress in preparing for the SHTP, you can follow our blog at www.openbluehorizon.com.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Ronald A. Simpson

Alchera
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I just upgraded "Warrior's Wish" from a 3 to a 4. I am almost done prepping the boat here in North Carolina, and we should be trailering to San Francisco in a couple of weeks. I am planning my qualifying sail sometime in February or March, and then we'll be a 5. :)

If anyone wants to track our progress in preparing for the SHTP, you can follow our blog at www.openbluehorizon.com.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Ronald A. Simpson

Ronald - good luck with your effort, stories like yours are always great to hear about. Warriors Wish is a fine boat and knows the way already, you will have a blast. Make sure you get all the burnt spinnaker off of her!

- Mark

haulback
01-08-2010, 08:20 AM
So.......having been a eager participant since '02 in 3 starts and 4 finishes of the SHTP, it is with great regret that I have to inform the RC - and all competitors - that Haulback & I will not be coming down for this year's race to Hawaii.

Events and crewing limitations at work mean I will be unable to get away for the 2 1/2 months it takes for me to stage down to SF, across to Hawaii and back to BC, in our little corner of the Pacific

Seeing as I will probably retire early in 2012, I would strongly suspect that I will be along for the next one.

I guess this at least opens up the field for someone else to get the 'first to finish' trophy.

I will continue to watch this forum and the race itself, with great interest, from the sidelines

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm most disappointed to read this, Jim. You will be missed.

I'm hoping your circumstances change and you can join us after all, but if they don't we'll be here to catch your dock lines in 2012.

Bob J.

John Hayward
01-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi Jim,
I am also very sorry to hear this! Without you and the General to talk to and push me along the race just won't be the same. You will be missed on the race and in HI.

John H.
Dream Chaser

BobJ
01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
John (and all you other SHTP'ers), I'm happy to announce that although Haulback will indeed be missed on the course he won't be missed in Hanalei. Jim has agreed to join the Race Committee and reprise his role as the "Hanalei Harbormaster" (oops, "Harbourmaster"). Don't count the General out either - he's been in touch.

I'll put a list of preliminary entries together in the next day or two. There are a couple of you who haven't sent me anything yet - should I include you, or do you want to remain anonymous until you decide which boat to race?

John Hayward
01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Bob! Great to see you and Jim at the tree, but still not as good as tracking your progress against mine. Oh Well, another time. If Jim and the General (I must call him myself) don't go, I might win my division, but I'd frankly prefer the competition.

John H
Dream Chaser

haulback
01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Even though I won't be able to make it down to San Francisco for the start on June 19, I'm looking forward a great deal to being able to welcome everyone as they cross the finish and be able to share in a small way, the excitement of the Singlehanded Transpac.

A distant second to sailing the course with the rest of you - but at least I don't have to watch the race from up here in BC and miss out on ALL the fun ......

AND ....... I'll be there to listen to the extensive, never-ending, and ever-more-extravagant, post race analysis....... squalls that get ever stronger, whales that get closer, hallucinations that get wilder, food that gets worse, incredible bursts of boat-speed, halyard-sheet-and-spinnaker macramé, the biannual unwashed underwear competition, and other assorted tales of bravery, endurance and derring-do...... that goes on (and on and on) under the tree every afternoon.

Wouldn't miss it for the world....

Have a great race. eh!

Jim/Haulback