PDA

View Full Version : Race name needed

Ergo
08-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Greetings,

The East Bay/Estuary Race became the Richmond/South Bay Race and now that we may have a problem starting in the Richmond channel we may change it again. It's no biggy except for the perpetual trophies. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a "perpetual" trophy for a race that lasts less than a few runnings. And the trophies can be pricey. Any suggestions for a name for the race that isn't course related? Memorialize someone (usually now dead) who has been instrumental in advancing the mission of the club? Something like the "Corinthian" that doesn't have tp start at CYC? Any suggestions?

Bill Merrick

tiger beetle
08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Greetings,

The East Bay/Estuary Race became the Richmond/South Bay Race and now that we may have a problem starting in the Richmond channel we may change it again. It's no biggy except for the perpetual trophies. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a "perpetual" trophy for a race that lasts less than a few runnings. And the trophies can be pricey. Any suggestions for a name for the race that isn't course related? Memorialize someone (usually now dead) who has been instrumental in advancing the mission of the club? Something like the "Corinthian" that doesn't have tp start at CYC? Any suggestions?

Bill Merrick
What's the issue with starting in the channel?

As regards a name, given that the course keeps changing through no particular fault of our own (or even if the change was internal to the club), we could call it Voiles du Jour (unless I have the tense incorrect).

- rob/beetle

Alchera
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

Bill Merrick

When we changed the race from the East Bay/Estuary to Richmond/South Beach, we didn't buy new perpetual trophies, we just changed the name on the old ones! So no real cost there. But I agree, it would be easier to name it something that doesn't actually refer to the course so we don't continue to have this problem!

Mark/Alchera

BobJ
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm also curious about the "problem" with starting in the Richmond Channel. I hope we'll get an explanation Wednesday night.

In past years I liked setting kites after the start and sailing up to the Brothers. Could we start in the area between the old Pt. Richmond ferry dock and G "5" like they do for the Ditch Run? We would need a committee boat but could keep the race's name.

There's always the "In the Bay" race - we already have the trophies.

Ergo
08-31-2009, 07:00 AM
The "problem" as I describe it has to do with conjestion. I believe that we had 92 boats entered and had to deal with a protest that resulted from a collision before the start.

That aside, my question is more related to the name of the race. As Mark pointed out, we can keep using the existing trophies and just re-engrave them with .....whatever. But, "In the Bay" would work.

Bill Merrick

Culebra
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
What about 'Round the Bay Race, or Three Bay Dash? It sure felt like a dash the other day. Three Bay wouldn't work if the course changed to exclude San Pablo Bay.