PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 2010 SSS Board

Matt
10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Several good ideas were discussed at the annual meeting and I'm sure I wasn't in on all of them.

A few ideas that I heard were:

Idea 1. Giving out prizes other than placard for races because many of the long time SSS racers have so many that they use them to patch holes when needed. I got my first second place placard this year, after five years of trying, but still think that it might be a good idea to only give trophies for first place and then something else for 2nd-4th... I heard ideas like Sail Ties, Bags & Water Bottles printed with the SSS name and logo. Utility Knives, bottles of rum and other items an SSS racer might need.

Idea 2. Holding a different race that encourages more single handed participation like the Vallejo 1-2 where the racers need to be single handed for the first leg and double back. Possibly an overnight stop somewhere in the South Bay that could host a gathering for a different race than the Richmond-SouthBeach race.

Idea 3. Like the YRA, hold a 198+ PHRF division to encourage more of the Santana 22 fleet, Crazy Cal 20 racers, Wilderness 21 owners, other late 70s to early 80s less expensive boats and slower rated boats around the bay to come out for single handed competition with our inside the bay races.

If you have a few ideas to add to these or comments about mine, this might be a good place in the forum to post them. I'll pin this post at the top of the SSS Board Business section of the forum.

Critter
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Just to pass the idea along before I forget, it was suggested to me that there be "keeper" trophies for 2nd and 3rd in the season points. Since the 1st place trophy is a perpetual, logically there would be a keeper for 1st also.

Critter
10-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Ideas on encouraging singlehanding:

Raise single-race entry fees for doublehanders. This has been suggested before and shot down because of the bookkeeping hassle, but maybe with online entries it'd be easier to keep track of.

For the doublehanded season points, your best singlehanded race is counted.

Dazzler
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
This past season there were 8 races, including the LongPac and counting the Vallejo 1/2 as 2 races. Yet, only 2 races are required to be singlehanded (Farallones and Vallejo 1).

Proposal for consideration and comment:
a) Addiitional singlehanded races on the schedule or,
b) make (1 or 2) more existing races singlehanded only.

Tom

Chai D.M.
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Coyote Point would host a party for a overnight race and provide a Boat for finish and start or that could be done from the breakwater, harbor masters deck. There is enough guest dock and slips . Could be whatever you want it to be.
The leg from Hunters Point to the finish would prove to be very lively as you enter the San Bruno gap in the afternoon the wind is up 18+. On a flood the water is flat. An ebb provides some good rides.
Vince. :)

BobJ
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I like the engraved awards but we've been doing the same plaques for several years - I'd vote for a change in design.

Before the plaques SSS gave out mugs, which seemed kind of cheap for a whole day spent on the water, plus I don't win that many so I look forward to seeing the details "memorialized" on the award. Someone suggested naming the crew on the DH awards - they certainly deserve it, having to race with most of us skippers!

IT REALLY BUGS ME when so many winners don't come to pick them up and to cheer on and encourage the other winners. Sometimes a third of the awards are left on the table, and sometimes even the perpetuals. I know it's a drive for some people but it says "your race and award aren't that important to me."

Moving on, I strongly support making and keeping single-handing the emphasis of our group, with completing the Singlehanded TransPac the goal it has been for so many skippers. IMHO, double-handing is the training ground for eventually "moving up" to single-handing. I double-handed Troubadour the first year or two, but my goal was always to get good enough to go it alone out there. Now I double-hand to help somebody else along, or if I'm not feeling up to racing SH in the Bay and dodging a large fleet of mostly DH'ers.

That said, we have a tried-and-true format and Max has done a great job adjusting the schedule and courses to make them even better. If skippers want more they can race SHS in OYRA, although I liked it better when OYRA gave you a time credit for going solo.

Travieso
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Except for this last year I had always done all the seasons singlehanded. I have to admit that with the right crew, doublehanded is quite enjoyable. I will probably go back to singlehanded now as the boat will be ready for SH next season. I don't think we want to discourage DH. Folks with ambition for ocean SH racing will go SH anyways, and the DH entries to help keep the entries up and supporting the society. Perhaps we can try changing the fees, as it is we are some of the cheapest racing in the bay and some of the must fun and comradery. Perhaps $30 for a SH entry and $50 for a DH?? That could help motivate some folks to go single....

I think another 1 - 2 race is a good idea. Awards would be based on the combined results just like Vallejo. We don't often go down to the south bay. It might be good destination, but I think the courses would be quite dull as it is mostly reachy..... I'm sure the tris would dig it :)

It might even be nice to have a 3 day singlehanded race... a 3 leg singlehanded tour of the bay. Something like:
Leg1: TI around the brothers to Corinthian
Leg2: Corinthian to Blackaller down to Coyote
Let3: Coyote up the south bay and down the Estuary to OYC

HMB is already a 2 day commitment... but I don't really remember having any breeze coming back anyways (or down recently for that matter). Logistics are also a bit difficult if we wanted to shorten the return course. So that might not be a good idea.

Anyways, some food for thought.

dan

Travieso
10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
For trophies, it would be awesome if we could get framed pictures of our boats (it would be a good differentiator for 1st place boats on their divisions). We have some great photographers on the bay and some of the folks from IYC might now their club member with a framing shop (they did this type of trophies for their Friday night series). I think everyone loves a good shot of their boat and it will help support the local boat photographers instead of some trophy shop.

Not sure if the budget would allow for this though.

Culebra
10-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Ideas on encouraging singlehanding:
For the doublehanded season points, your best singlehanded race is counted.

I like this idea... I think it would do a great job encouraging members who normally race double to enter single now and then.

But for me personally, I like singlehanding as much as possible and so I'd vote for another solo race out in the ocean. Racing singlehanded in the bay with the typical heavy winds and no room for error, or to maneuver (sure, call me a wimp if you want), is a bummer because it just doesn't feel safe... and that diminishes the fun factor. I'm guessing a lot of us often race double for this reason.

So, as an example, how about a solo-only race up to Drakes Bay and back, on an overnight like the OYRA does, anchored at Drakes for the night? Or some other route, a 2-day race, non-stop and far enough offshore to assure a finish in SF bay the next day (a mini-pac?). Or whatever... out in the ocean.

Paul
Culebra

Wylieguy
11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm trying to remember all the parts of threads I want to respond to, so here goes. I've been sort of out-of-touch email-wise.
1. Prizes. In the late 1990s SSS offered "practical prizes" (cushions/map protectors [I still use mine]/and other equipment - often with an engraved plastic tag. If someone really wanted a plaque, it could be done - say someone who had won a first race. I think the practical gift is a good way to go.
2. Single vs Double fees. Is the SSS financially in the hole? If not, then I don't see any reason to change the fee structure. I'm not in the running for either the Single/Double Champ - I sail some races both ways, usually depending on how I feel or who can come along.
3. OYRA has a Shorthanded Division. That means you can sail all the OYRA races, including the overnight Drakes Bay already. Why re-invent the wheel?
4. The first half of the 2010 OYRA season has been worked out with the PacCup YC to make that series better practice for sailing to Hawaii. YRA is offering special prizes for PacCup boats on top of the normal OYRA ones. We could do the same thing for SSS Transpac boats sailing short handed.
Enough for now, Pat B.

Sailfish
11-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Awards. I tend to agree with Bob. I kinda like the engraved plaques. I haven't won enough to start patching my roof with them, but I would vary the design a bit. Dan mentioned the IYC's boat photo awards. Those were really nice, but I imagine they're more expensive and, for much larger SSS races, they'd be more work to produce. Maybe as season series winners' keepers or for more significant race awards-- Transpac, LongPac, Farallones?

As others have mentioned, unless the SSS is in financial troubles I'd be wary of increasing the DH fees, over SH fees, as a means of trying to encourage singlehanded participation. My guess is, that would simply reduce DH entries and, thus, overall participation. I love racing singlehanded but I am considering doing a season of DH with my 13-year old son or a friend who really wants to get into racing. Either way, I bring someone new into the sport but the added fees, while not onerous, would be annoying.

I like the proposal of a new race, a 1-2 like Vallejo or whatever, to the South Bay. I never sail down there, so it would expand my horizons (so to speak) and might draw more folks from the South Bay into the other races. Though I appreciate Dan's concern that the race down could be a reach-parade. A three-day race?! Cool. I'd definitely do it. But what a race committee burden. Drake's Bay? The OYRA already does that and offers a short-handed class. Why poach theirs?

Lee
Sailfish

Wylieguy
11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Here's a story. Sometime in the 1990s I filled in for an unnamed "escaped" SSS Race Director (not everyone's been as faithful as Max!). The Corinthian Race was new and the SSS handed out trophies at the CYC following the race. So after we got the boats started, I jumped in the borrowed SYC committee boat and by myself took a photo of each entry at Knox or Blackaller - and a few I had to chase down. I rushed the film back to a one-hour shop in Sausalito, drove to the CYC, and we put the prize winners' photos in pre-prepared photo mats/frames. We gave the other photos to everyone.
Whew! I promised myself to never volunteer for that duty again!
I think SSS could arrange with one of the pro photographers to have photo trophies. YRA did it a couple of years ago and they were well-received. I can bring an example to a meeting if there's interest.
Pat. B.

Thom
11-03-2009, 02:52 PM
The placques need to be replaced with something better. I LIKE the photo idea and the size of photo/frame to distinguish 1-3rd works. Everyone likes to see their boat.

IF we go for photos, make the .jpg available to the winners.

Fostering Single Handing--Do an estuary race single handed only-it's hardly ever windy in the estuary. I think a lot of folks would single hand if they had the opportunity to do so in a safe race, First.

Additional ideas, Ask OYC to have a single handed fleet in their winter Sunday Brunch series OR Ask IYC to have a single handed fleet in their Lightbucket race. How about the DDR or Jazz Cup single handed? Any existing race or series could be an Addition to SSS if we figured out how to do it so it "counts"--but it would "count" only if the race was done single handed.

I don't think monetary rewards will be good for getting single handers "out there".

The lack of participation in the awards presentations may get worse and that won't help foster single handing.

BobJ
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
. . . The Corinthian Race was new and the SSS handed out trophies at the CYC following the race. So after we got the boats started, I jumped in the borrowed SYC committee boat and by myself took a photo of each entry at Knox or Blackaller - and a few I had to chase down. I rushed the film back to a one-hour shop in Sausalito, drove to the CYC, and we put the prize winners' photos in pre-prepared photo mats/frames. We gave the other photos to everyone . . .
Wow Pat - that's dedication!

Here's another wrinkle: To encourage SH participation, how about framed boat photos for the skippers who do at least ___(?) races during the season singlehanded? By midseason you'd have an idea which boats were likely to do enough races, so you'd only need to get photos of them.

Then speaking of "Suggestions for the 2010 SSS Board," how about suggestions for someone to be the new Race Chair?

Travieso
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Clearly this seems to be the tougher position to fill on the board. Even though it doesn't necessarily require you to 'not' race, it does require you to be able to line up a PRO and enough people for every race. But the actual work required is pretty well scripted and not difficult.

I'm wondering if by providing some incentives we might be able to recruit more volunteers.

Here are some perks I can think off...

1. How about free SSS membership for the following X years
2. Guaranteed spot (with lower responsibilities) on the Kauai Transpac Race Committee during his/hers tenure?
3. Make the RC position a 1 year commitment

Does anyone think any of this might persuade anyone in the fence?

GeorgeM
11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Not having very many placques, I still enjoy receiving them. Perhaps we could rule that placques have to be left on the boats. For sure, this might slow Gordie down. Beggars can't be choosers, so I appreciate anything the committee comes up with.

I understand the desire of some to have more single handed entries. On the flip side I have used the SSS opportunity to sail and teach my son and my nephew, as well as spending enjoyable days one-on-one with old friends.

The idea for a second one-two scenario is a good one. Another concept would be to do the same course two days in a row - single first and double second - with an overnight at the sponsoring club. Then everyone can compare notes and up the bragging rights. What comes to mind is something like the crazy eight that Corinthian puts on around Angel and Alcatraz.

Thom
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
And I don't know whether or not there is room at any marina for a bunch of us to congregate overnight, but it is a spot to "look at". Another option is Ballena Bay in Alameda or furthe South on the peninsula (bay side near SFO).

I like the 2 day to promote single handing. But instead of Single-Double Day 1-2, Do it the other way with the same course (and hopefully similar weather). That way the skipper garners confidence with crew day 1 and can venture out alone day 2.

There is a big window between May 22 and August 28 for scheduling (assuming you aren't doing the transpac and most don't). All of June, All of July and most of August.

peterlwj
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi all,
I would love to see at least a couple of more races on the schedule and love the idea of more ocean. Drakes Bay is a logical one. Perhaps an ocean course using the approach buoys as markers and finish back inside the Bay would be another good model.
Although I agree that DH is also great, I would support anything that might encourage more singlehanding.
I like Dan would love to see the boat photo option as first choice and the useful items with SSS logo as second as trophies.
A restructuring of divisions so that say 150 to 186 raced together and then 186 and above might make for more interesting racing for those of us with more humble craft and encourage more smaller boats to join the SSS and participate. There are lots of older smaller boats out there who might want to play if invited.
Peter

Critter
11-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Some interesting ideas floated. A few reactions from an EX race chair's point of view:

It would be hard to add more race weekends. Apart from the inconvenient fact that our calendar has already gone to Latitude 38 for their annual racing guide, any added date would conflict with something. Either the racing area or the race deck that we want to use would be occupied by another fleet, or we'd be competing for entries with an event that some of our members might be interested in. Rather than adding a date, I'd suggest that any new race replace Richmond - South Beach, which seems to have had a little trouble getting traction.

The large hiatus in our 2010 calendar after the TransPac was put there intentionally to give TransPac competitors a chance to get home without missing any races, thus giving them a better chance at the season title.

I've pored over charts and driven around looking for additional locations where we might be able to start or finish races from shore, without a lot of luck. Steve Hill did a great job with RYC finagling the use of Pelican for the start of the Vallejo 1 this year, but in general it's tough to line up a committee boat. Coyote Point is a possibility for a shore-based RC.

Max

Critter
11-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing:

Class 4 is already our smallest PHRF group, in most races. I can't see carving a 198-plus group out of it, or raising the class minimum to 198.

ewpatterson
11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Agreed. We should not discourage DH. Especially if one goal of SSS is to use it as an entry point for people to build into SH.

One thing I have never understood is why there is not a DH division for the SHF race. Not only does is restrict the ability to grow people's confidence offshore, it means one less points race for the dedicated DH group who cares about the season standings.

Two things I would like to see:

- a DH division in the SHF race
- an additional long distance in the bay race such as the Silver Eagle.

The second adds another counter to the season and acts as training for longer offshore races. If its too late to add another race for next year, why not piggy-back onto the Silver Eagle by having them handle race committee responsibilities, while counting the results as an SSS race. They would probably appreciate the additional entries.

Thom
11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Yah, it's in the Estuary, but Oakland Yacht Club has a facility that is "good" for a race committee.

The wind is typically light, there is current and not much relief, it is always beat and run. BUT, that seems to me to be ideal for a "first timer" single hander.

I think it would be "cool" to add a single race from there in June or July that takes one out of the estuary to a local buoy and back. The race would only be offered to single handers.

Just a thot.

solosailor
12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
One thing I have never understood is why there is not a DH division for the SHF race. Not only does is restrict the ability to grow people's confidence offshore, it means one less points race for the dedicated DH group who cares about the season standings.Well first there was the Egg (the Singlehanded Farallones Race) and then there was the Chicken (the Singlehanded Sailing Society). Shortly after BAMA gave birth to the Doublehanded Farallones and IYC the DH Lightship.

So I don't know if you caught the organization's name but it's got 'singlehanded' in it. The Farallones is our local singlehanded right of passage, always has been. You can work up to it with the several other great Doublehanded Ocean races, Lightship and Farallones.

tiger beetle
12-19-2009, 05:06 PM
One thing I have never understood is why there is not a DH division for the SHF race.

It occurs to me that there already exists a Doublehanded Farallones race - BAMA presents that event. There's no particular need to a) undercut BAMA with an additional doublehanded race, and b) impinge upon us singlehanders in our race to SEFI.

... and acts as training for longer offshore races. If its too late to add another race for next year

I'm sorry, but I do not agree than an inshore bay-race is good 'training' with an eye towards an offshore distance race. These are quite different animals, and while completing a bay race provides time on board and coping with and solving different situations, an offshore race has a host of issues that aren't present inshore. So I do not view a bay race as all that applicable as regards practice towards a long offshore race. Better to look at Farallones, LongPac, Coastal Cup (or just sail to Santa Barbara, it's a nice sail!) - and that will give the skipper a good idea of what might be useful for longer distances, such as Hawaii.

- rob/beetle

tiger beetle
12-19-2009, 05:25 PM
My favorite races are those that are offshore, take you somewhere, you spend the night (anchor out, at the marina, either/or), meet up with folk at the bar / barbeque / dinner, and then race or sail home the next day. To this end, my favorite local races are:

SSS Half Moon Bay
SSS Vallejo 1-2
Windjammers
OYRA Drakes Bay
Coastal Cup

and top of the list: SSS TransPac

I'll readily admit that TransPac is too expensive and requires too much time off work for most folk, and that Half Moon Bay is probably the best alternative after Hawaii - who can not love the evening bonfire outside the club? Might there be additional destinations that are closest to HMB spirit, such as: an SSS Santa Cruz race, a Bodega Bay sprint? Drakes Bay is my favorite local anchorage but the conditions are completely hit or miss as regards conditions for getting together/rafting up - it can be howling through the anchorage and everybody hunkers down and is miserable, or it can be a glorious night with 5 knots wafting the anchorage and we learn how many sailors fit onto a Cal 20 and almost sink the dang thing whilst tooling around from party to party throughout the anchorage.

My suspicion is that Santa Cruz offers the best 'longer' offshore race as regards calm conditions at the finish, and Bodega might be a bit more hard core than we wish to go through - there can be a lot of hammering to weather once around Pt. Reyes and headed north, and that's a tricky harbor to get into given the long channel.

- rob/beetle

Ergo
12-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi Rob,

Agreed on all of what you posted. As Max has pointed out, however, another race, especially an overnight to Santa Cruz, HMB or Bodega would probably create a conflict with some other race. Another consideration is the race permitting process for "offshore" races. The CG is classifying any race that goes past Pt. Bonita as "offshore".

I'd really like another SSS "offshore" event for 2010. What is the collective wisdom on SSS putting together an annual coastal "rally"? SSS could manage it the same as any other SSS event but not include the results in the season's scoring and not have to deal with the CG permitting process.

Just for the record, this is a personal suggestion and not the "Commodore" speaking.

Bill Merrick

Thom
12-21-2009, 08:23 AM
even if the event were not scored. The regulations apply pretty much to any event (the regulations actually use the word "parade" in them).

That being said, any other offshore race/event/parade...that SSS wants to put together should be fun. It's the "guys" and not the destination.

Wylieguy
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
It's clear that an organized race requires a CG permit, either inside or outside SF Bay. However, many yacht clubs organize club cruises (think of that parade of StFYC power boats headed for Tinsley Island that passed through this year's SSS Vallejo 1-2 race on Saturday). Most of these yacht club cruises are to other yacht clubs, some to Clipper Cove or Angel Island, but they all involve signing up, sailing/powering to a location, and some social function at that location. However, some are to destinations outside SF Bay, including Drakes Bay, Pillar Point, and Monterey Bay. Yacht club cruises do not require CG marine event permits. The SSS is recognized as a "yacht club" as a member of YRA, although SSS chooses not to belong to PICYA. Therefore, I think the SSS can organize "club cruises" for its members, the same as other yacht clubs. I'm in no way suggesting this as a method of circumventing the race permit process, so I don't think any "prizes" for first to arrive should be given. But, if the SSS wanted to put together a cruise to some location FOR ITS MEMBERS, I don't see why it couldn't Pat B.

Thom
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM
that CG permits "should" not be necessary, I was just playing at being a sea lawyer. If one reads the regulations, the CG can interpret a cruise out to require a permit. Of course, the CG can interpret the same regs to not require permits for races offshore or any races for that matter. The regs are written so that the local commander essentially gets to write his own law.

One of the things (and this is a different topic) that I think YRA and SSS and anyone else who asks for permits for races "should" do is actually require the CG to live by the regs as they are written--one example, if they do not grant a permit (and you have to ask for the permit 90 days in advance if I remember correctly), they are required to give reasons. If one asks for one, they are required to hold public hearings (and I suspect the CG would be required to foot the bill). This sounds "anti-CG", but it is really "anti-bureaucracy". I believe the CG provides valuable service (as long as they aren't getting in your way with no wind, right Bill?). Sorry for the soapbox.:(

Culebra
12-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, exactly:

My favorite races are those that are offshore, take you somewhere, you spend the night (anchor out, at the marina, either/or), meet up with folk at the bar / barbeque / dinner, and then race or sail home the next day.

- rob/beetle

Even though there are already events to SC and Drakes, for example, which I have participated in many times and think are wonderful events, there is no specifically designated singlehanded event to those destinations. BAMA's DHF, OYRA's crewed Farallones and our SH Farallones all coexist nicely. I've sailed in all of those many times, too, because they are just so damn fun. We have this jewel of a destination just outside our front door, so to speak, so it's natural to have multiple good excuses to go there. So same idea... If done at a different time of year, I don't think we would diminish the SYC's or OYRA's events to Santa Cruz or Drakes. I really like Rob's Bodega Bay idea, too, particularly because it is ambitious. It could finish in the bay just east of the entrance to the channel, where there is plenty of room. And Spud's or the municipal marina are both good options for spending the night.

Regarding permits, why is there a concern with adding another permit to do an ocean race? Let's have an ocean race, preferably solo only, and make it an ambitious, or at least challenging event.

Paul
Culebra

solosailor
01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Please don't go away from the trophies. Extra schwag stuff with SSS on it is nice and maybe a great addition but I have years without any trophies for when they gave out flashlights, wool blankets, etc.

Critter
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Please don't go away from the trophies. Extra schwag stuff with SSS on it is nice and maybe a great addition but I have years without any trophies for when they gave out flashlights, wool blankets, etc.

I have years without any trophies, period! :D

Ergo
01-13-2010, 11:31 AM
We're probably staying with trophies forn 2010. I'm looking for a different design to break up the mass of Plaques covering a few walls in the Bay Area.

Bill Merrick