PDA

View Full Version : SHTP Get-Together at EYC 12/13/09

BobJ
11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I decided not to do a diesel engine seminar in this seminar series, which frees up a month to do something else. I was thinking about a smaller get-together for those actively preparing for the 2010 race - maybe we could get a few of the local boats together and see how the projects are coming along.

It would provide a chance to get some boat-specific advice from local race veterans, see a couple of other entrant's boats, give you a chance to show off that new gear you just installed, perhaps get a pre-inspection opinion about how you've addressed a particular race requirement - that sort of thing.

Don't clean the boat up - just motor over (?) and show us how it's coming.

It would be on the weekend - 12/12 or 12/13 - probably in the East Bay - somewhere we could get several slips close together for part of a day.

Would this be helpful? Any suggestions? Who would participate?

SSS.ScottP
11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Bob, I for one would love to see that. While I am sure I won't hit 2010 race I am actively preparing my boat for 2012 and as I am such a visual learner it would be very helpful to see vet. boats and boats in progress. Even if it was just an informal gathering of vets and soon to be vets without their boats it would be helpful. Great idea.

jfoster
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
The guest docks at Encinal Yacht Club might be a good bet.

John Foster
Blueberry, Nonsuch22 sail#48

BobJ
12-03-2009, 12:33 AM
This board's been mighty quiet. Hopefully it's because you SHTP hopefuls are diligently working on your boats and don't have time to post.

It's time to either get the weekend get-together nailed down or cancel it. The guest docks at Encinal Yacht Club have been reserved. Based on the show of hands at the Steering Seminar, there was a slight preference for Sunday (12/13) over Saturday but I think we can still do it on either day - I'd like to give priority to the wishes of those planning to bring their boats.

I need to know who is bringing a boat. Please reply here or if you're unable to do that, send an e-mail to SHTransPac@yahoo.com

Thanks.

ajgoldman
12-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I would like to bring my boat over on Saturday the 12th, arrive at Encinal YC by 11:00am. My boat is Second Verse, a Cascade 36. I have installed a HydroVane if anyone wants to take a look at this, plus wind and solar. I also have storm windows, a custom made emergency tiller, an so on. All I need is a rigging inspection :). Anyone want to do this while I'm at the dock?

I would love to see some other boats planning to go! This is most of the fun! Does anyone else want to bring their boat over? Put me down for a case of Christmas ale!

Also, due to the tides that day, I won't be able to get back into Coyote Point Marina in the late afternoon. Can I bring her back on Sunday?

Cheers,

AJ
Second Verse
650-867-2145

jfoster
12-03-2009, 08:24 AM
SNIP

Also, due to the tides that day, I won't be able to get back into Coyote Point Marina in the late afternoon. Can I bring her back on Sunday?

Cheers,

AJ
Second Verse
650-867-2145

Since that is the weekend after the lighted boat parade, and Encinal has nothing else booked into the guest docks, there should be no problem for those who might, for various reasons, have to linger for a few days.

John
Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, sail #48

Critter
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm still interested. I wasn't planning to bring my own boat, because my TransPac prep is on hold and my chances of making the race are dwindling. But I could show my E-rudder and window covers, either with or without the boat.

Either day is OK for me.
Max

haulback
12-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Can't make this one due to distance constraints - but still figuring on making it down that way for a mid-june start.

Yes ,it is pretty quiet, maybe we should re-institute the 'garbage rule' to generate some discussion.

.....or look for some mini guys.

jim/haulback

BobJ
12-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Be careful what you wish for Jim. Actually the Mini guys are doing fine - even the one from up your way. Not much activity on their board either though.

I'll pick you up and deliver you back to the Oakland Airport if you want to come down for the weekend.

Culebra
12-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I wonder if any of the veterans of the race could bring their boats for show and tell, too? It was great seeing Bob's boat at Vallejo, and it would be very helpful again to see how you all who have made the trip a few times have approached fitting out your boats. My boat is currently on the hard at Svendsen's getting new standing rigging (including a new backstay antenna), bottom paint and other goodies. If the boat is back in one piece by then, I'll bring it (unfortunately only Sunday works for me).

robtryon
12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
She still has alot of the stuff I used for the race and trip back. plus I need to get her out now and then

Rob

Oceanslogic
12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I would second Paul's request...It would be great to see some veteran boats...Feolena would be great...I have a personal request of seeing how Rob has Tiger Beetle setup:) If some of the SHTP veterans have time...seeing three different boats of varying size would be great along with other SHTP 2010 Racers if their boats are somewhat together! Say the Cal 20 Blackfeathers for the small range...Valient 32 Feolena for the medium size range...and NM45 Tiger Beetle for that upper range. I will be happy to bring over "Blue Moon" if the rig is back up by then. I currently have the rig down making all that was old...new again...Any thoughts from the rest of the SSS community? Are we really looking at only 8 or 9 boats for the SHTP 2010!? We may have to up the Bug Light level to really start drawing in the Wierdos....:)

Adam
s/v Blue Moon
International Folkboat #175

SSS.ScottP
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I will be out of town this weekend but will plan on being back Saturday night if the get together is going to be Sunday. Any decision yet as to the day?

tiger beetle
12-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Tiger Beetle is back from Cabo San Lucas (arrived in San Francisco last weekend), and it would be fun to get together at EYC Saturday or Sunday next weekend (Dec 12 or 13). Is there a preference for day? Would be better to select the day that might be less rainy.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
12-05-2009, 09:50 PM
We need to nail this down so let's say mid-day on Sunday and take our chances with the weather (majority rules). Things are pretty quiet around EYC so you can probably leave your boat an extra day if the weather isn't good for the return trip - maybe we can work out some rides back to marinas if necessary.

It sounds like we'll be short on newer boats in the fleet to look at, but we'll have several race vets there (thanks guys/gals) - even a special guest or two from out of town. (Haulback, are you sure you can't fit this in?) So this might morph into more of a SHTP groupie gathering - I'm good with that.

Maybe some of us can carpool to a place in Alameda for a late lunch or early dinner - I'm open to suggestions.

Who else is planning to come?

BobJ
12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Bueller???

SSS.ScottP
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Bob,
I live in the North Bay if anyone wants to ride share. Also would love to meet for lunch and could also give rides to marinas if any one wants a ride. Scott

Critter
12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Conversely, if anyone wants to save a bridge toll and take a chance on getting wet, I expect to be heading over by boat from South Beach.
Max

BobJ
12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
This is shaping up to be a good time and it appears we'll have a better day for weather than Saturday would have been. (Don't hold me to that!)

If you're arriving at Encinal Yacht Club by boat, please refer to the following dock illustration:

http://www.encinal.org/pageResource/facilities/2008/docs/2006EncinalYachtClubDockingPlan.pdf

The Port Captain has requested that boats tie up in the area between "B" and "C" docks, bows out. This is their normal procedure for cruise-ins, etc. Then please come up to the club and sign in.

Those arriving by car do not need to back into their parking spaces (that's a joke). You are again requested to register when you enter the club (same as we do at the Oakland YC meetings).

Brunch will be available in the club from 1200-1400 if you're interested. The bar will also be open. If you decide to have brunch it would be nice to let the club know ahead of time - the Manager is afraid we'll show up with 20-30 people looking to eat.

Even if you are coming by land, feel free to bring any gear you want to show off or ask questions about. But the more boats the better - I'd bring mine if it wasn't in a million pieces.

Culebra
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Wishing it were by sea with a shiny new rig and other goodies to show, but I will be arriving by land. Culebra is delayed getting back into the water, a few blocks away at Svendsen's. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Paul

Oceanslogic
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm excited about the get together...Blue Moon also has the rig down...so I will be coming by land...Look forward to seeing everyone..

Adam
Blue Moon

Culebra
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Thank you, everyone, who brought your boats to show today. Very cool to see Brian come in under spinnaker, by the way, on Red Sky. Also very generous of the vets to make the trip over and let us peek under the hood!

Paul
Culebra

BobJ
12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
A great group and lots of fun!

Boats who made the trek, despite the threatening weather:
Feolena - Rob T
Red Sky - Brian B
Second Verse - AJ G
Solar Wind - Max C
Tiger Beetle - Rob M

Boats represented by skippers via land:
Arowana - Larry R
Bandicoot - Al G
Blueberry - John F (popped in after racing)
Blue Moon - Adam C
Culebra - Paul N
Ergo - Bill M
Even Keel - Bill M
Kismet - Ruben G
Nancy - Pat B
No Ka Oi - Phil M
Ragtime! - Bob J
Rosalita - Scott P
Seabird - Lou F
Spellbound - Bob G
Taz! - George L
Westerly - Steve W

There were others who stopped in and I probably missed somebody - feel free to add a post.

Besides getting aboard the boats, a clandestine side trip was made to Svendsen's to check the work being done on Culebra and Ragtime!, various rules were discussed over EYC cheeseburgers, and an intense discussion was had regarding the risks of racing to Kauai in a state of dishabille, and recommended modifications to lessen said risks.

Thanks again to all who came over today!

ajgoldman
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Bob,

Thanks for organizing this event, Janine and I had a great time! We actually made it back to Coyote Point by 1930, a clear and beautiful night sail. On the way home I thought a lot about what we discussed and your input, along with the other vets, was just perfect! Informational, encouraging, and a motivation to go!

Have a great Holiday Season everyone,

AJ

BobJ
12-14-2009, 09:41 AM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/IMGP1543.jpghttp://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/IMGP1551.jpg

tiger beetle
12-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi Bob/Rob -

Thanks for putting together the gathering, it was fun to hang out with the skippers that are planning to race, and to meet up with friends from past races. The weather also cooperated quite well, and the club was good.

A great time from my perspective. It's good to see the different ways race requirements are met and problems solved as each skipper sets up their boat for the run to Hawaii.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Speaking of friends/boats from past races, Hecla is in the top picture - you have to look hard but she's in there - all three hulls' worth.

SSS.ScottP
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
A great group and lots of fun!
and an intense discussion was had regarding the risks of racing to Kauai in a state of dishabille, and recommended modifications to lessen said risks.

Bob, Rob and all who brought boats, thanks. Tiger Beetle made my boat look like an HO gage while Second Verse made my boat look ... well lets just say I need to pay attention to some detail on the ol' gal.

I really enjoyed visiting with all and seeing how various problems were solved. Very educational for me.

As to the discussion mentioned in the quote above, very sorry I missed that. Interested to know more about the "recommended modifications to lessen the risks."

Thanks again, Scott

jfoster
12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Bob/Rob -

Thanks for putting together the gathering, it was fun to hang out with the skippers that are planning to race, and to meet up with friends from past races. The weather also cooperated quite well, and the club was good.

A great time from my perspective. It's good to see the different ways race requirements are met and problems solved as each skipper sets up their boat for the run to Hawaii.

- rob/beetle

Something like this once a month or so (yeah I know, a Dec get together was easy because of so few possible racing conflicts) would be awesome.

Any thoughts?

John/Blueberry

BobJ
12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
As to the discussion mentioned in the quote above, very sorry I missed that. Interested to know more about the "recommended modifications to lessen the risks."

It had to do with cockpit cushions in the macro view and padding in the micro view. Rob M and George will have to fill in the details (off-line).

Oh, and I'm electing to protect the identity of the person who thought that was a cockroach on the bulkhead above Beetle's nav station . . .

brianb
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Adam,

Nice seeing you at the meeting on the dock.

Was curious about "Oceanslogic", noted that your into surfing ! Where is the home territory ? I have spent many years riding the west coast and a few other locales.

I don't know if you have done the Hawaii run but it is the ultimate surf trip. You can spend minutes blasting down wave faces.

Good luck with the folkboat.

Oceanslogic
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Bob + Rob...
What a great idea! It was great to meet some new folks and I really enjoyed seeing how others had their boats set up...I would second Blueberry's idea of having another informal get-together perhaps some time soon? Thanks to all the skippers for bringing their boats..Blue Moon will be ready for the next gathering if we can work out a time...the rig is going back up this week! Thanks again..

Adam
s/v Blue Moon

pmummah
12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Bob,
This was a great get together. Seeing the boats and how each solved problems differently was very helpful for addressing similar issues on my boat. It was good too being able to talk to the skippers and ask specific questions about what they did on their boat.
This was better than having another diesel seminar!
phil No Ka Oi