PDA

View Full Version : Race Deck Training

Ergo
12-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Greetings,

US SAILING and Encinal Yacht Club are sponsoring a US SAILING Basic Race Management Seminar on January 16th, 2010 at Encinal YC in Alameda. The seminar is designed for sailors who have some race committee experience; however, newcomers are also welcome. It will be held in the club's (ground floor) Regatta Room from 0800-1730 hours. The principal instructor for the seminar will be Bill Gage of Richmond YC. Bill is the US SAILING Area G Race Officer and a certified National Race Officer who has taught several seminars and workshops. Jeff Zarwell of RegattaPRO will help with the teaching. Larry Westland of EYC's Race Committee will act as the club's host for the day.

Topics to be covered include Race Committee objectives, responsibilities and sailing instructions,RC jobs, equipment, setting the course, starting system, starting penalties, before the start, during the race, and, finishing and scoring. The changes in the Racing Rules of Sailing 2009-2012 (“RRS”) that affect race management will also be discussed. Registration using the US SAILING on-line registration system is encouraged. The seminar fee ($40 for US SAILING members and for non-members who don't take the test; $70 for non-members who take the test) includes: continental breakfast morning and afternoon breaks, lunch and workshop materials. The fee doesn't include required seminar publications from US SAILING.

Please be aware that advanced registration is encouraged and that the seminar is limited to 24 students in order to allow for greater interaction with the instructor and fellow participants.

SSS will pay the $40 registration fee for the first 5 SSS members who agree to do two things: attend the seminar AND serve as PRO for 1 SSS race during the 2010 season. First come - first served.

Bill Merrick

ajgoldman
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Bill,

Please sign me up. I promise to help on the race deck at least once!

Cheers,

AJ Goldman
Second Verse
650-867-2145

Ergo
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks, AJ. You're down for the Vallejo 1-2.

Bill

Ergo
12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I forgot to mention that we are going to give all race committee members a special, collectors edition of the SSS Race Deck Hat. Since the membership seems to be attracted to items that can be only gotten one way - like TransPac buckles - there's only one way to get one of these soon to be coveted hats i.e. man the race deck.

I cringe at the thought of how many of you will suffer a case of the "what might have beens" if you don't now sieze the moment and live in peace knowing that you have stepped up to be one of the select few who have selflessly sacrificed their time for the greater good. You will achieve true hero status and we'll even give you a hat that may even say so.

Bill Merrick

pappy
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Bill,

I am registered for the Basic Race Management Seminar at the Encinal YC on January 16.

Dan

Ergo
01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Dan,

That's great. Thank you but - I don't know who you are. Please send me an e-mail at ssscommodore@gmail.com so that We can talk about which race you want to be PRO.

Bill

Wylieguy
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Bill, I think your scheme to get SSS folks trained and then put to work is a great idea. Just in case you don't get enough PROs that way, I'll offer to serve as PRO for either the Half Moon Bay Race or whatever the East Bay Race's name will be this year - but only if there aren't enough newly trained USSA officers to do it. I think it's important to put the training to use quickly and I don't want to usurp their chance to do it. Just put me down as "possible" in case.
Pat Broderick
USSA Senior Race Officer

AlanH
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Total aside....how are you guys fixed for RC for the Three Bridge? My ride is taking his mom up to Tahoe that day to hop on a sled and get pulled around the Euer Valley by sled dogs, so I'm available for the whole day.

Drop me a PM if you need me...

PS: I've done this before, 2-3-4 times, I don't remember any more.

Ergo
01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Pat and Alan. I'll have Jonathan or Scott get in touch. The response to our request for race deck volunteers has been great and very much appreciated.

Bill