PDA

View Full Version : Cal 20 - Robert Crawford in SHTP 2008 - how to contact?

Jud - Vancouver
12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi all --Just registered on the forum. I'm up in Vancouver, BC (Canada).

Possibly picking up a Cal 20 for local racing/weekend summer cruising, but I've also long been intrigued about the idea about the idea of doing a SHTP, and I read with interest recently of Robert Crawford's Cal 20 BLACK FEATHERS that he raced in the SHTP in '08. I also saw Ruben's site for his Pearson Electra 22 SPARKY, another small boat that interests me.

Anyone know if Robert Crawford is "around" here (the forum)? I'd be curious just to ask him a few questions about how he modified/beefed up his Cal 20. I'm not planning a SHTP anytime soon --gotta get the boat first! :D --but I'd be curious to hear what he did to the boat (besides putting a big ol' Monitor vane on the transom!). Having looked at Cals recently and seen how the hull and deck were (originally) pop-riveted together at the hull-deck joint, I suspect he did a number of fairly important mods to the boat...

Thanks for any info, if anyone knows how to contact Robert.

Cheers,
Jud (email: judson_berry AT SIGN hotmail.com)

Eyrie
12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Jud,

I've sent Robert an email with your contact info.

Synthia/Eyrie

solosailormike
05-19-2010, 02:53 PM
did you get that cal 20 you were looking for
mike

Jud - Vancouver
01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
did you get that cal 20 you were looking for
mike

Hi Mike,

Yup, I finally got the Cal 20 (and trailer), hull #182 formerly HI-TEST (renamed CALICO). (When you have a calico cat already at home, what else can you name a boat with calico cat colors --orange deck, white hull, black lettering :D . They sure colored those Cal 20 decks some 'interesting' colors back then...)

Have yet to do much of anything on it (i.e., upgrades) for lack of funds, but I've in mind to install a whack of new blocks and re-run all running rigging aft --thanks to the advice of Robert Crawford in his very useful book about his Cal 20. Great little boat. Cost me $2,000. The next "up" in terms of racing boat size/performance seems to be probably a Moore 24, which are considerably more expensive (around $10,000), much more than I wanted to spend on a (second) boat. Faster, sure, but the Cal is fine for what it is with minimal financial commitment.

With any luck, I'll get down to San Francisco one day to do the Singlehanded Farallons Race...one day.

Jud