PDA

View Full Version : SSB and E-Nav Seminar

BobJ
01-14-2010, 10:48 PM
** Monday, January 18th at the Oakland Yacht Club (Alameda) **

Usual times: 1900 to adjust attitudes and ratchet-jaw, the first presentation will start at 1930 sharp. PLEASE COME EARLY. We have a full evening so I'll start with announcements at 1915.

Brian Boschma will walk us through the construction of a SSB, with audience participation (he promises it will not involve songs!). Brian has put together numerous SSB set-ups, including multiple PacCup Comm boats and our own "CopperTop" SSB rig, used during Tree times in Hanalei. He'll demonstrate how to test operations as you go through the installation, highlight common installation pitfalls, and end with demonstrating the operation of the SSB radio from the balcony of the Oakland Yacht Club. Wow!

Then three SHTP veterans will each demonstrate his chosen navigation software - Greg Nelsen will show MacENC, including overlaying weather "GRIB" files on its high-resolution charts, Mark Deppe will demo MaxSea and how to use AirMail to format the GRIB file requests and ViewFax to check them, and Rob MacFarlane will show us Coastal Explorer, with some Hawaii charts and GRIB overlays.

Please bring your questions!

This is late notice (I was working on the race doc's), so please pass the word, call a couple folks and let's turn out for this great evening!

If you need more info, post here or e-mail SHTransPac@yahoo.com.

cafemontaigne
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Will the dial-in option be available this time? If it is, what is the number?

P.S. I promise I will send my check in a timely fashion this time...

robtryon
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
A big thanks to Brian, Mark Rob, and Greg. It was a great time.

Rob

BobJ
01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes, that was excellent and worked out okay in spite of the projector problems. A big thanks to Brian and to Greg, Mark and Beetle-Rob for their presentations.

If you would like to contact Brian with follow-up questions, he has set up an e-mail address for that purpose:

ssbsss@brianboschma.com