PDA

View Full Version : Skippers Meetings

Eyrie
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I was looking through the race calendar: http://www.sfbaysss.org/calendar-new.html
and noticed that two of the upcoming races have the skippers meeting scheduled 2 weeks (well 10 days) before the race and not the typical week of the race. So I'm wondering what's so special about the Farallones & HMB that the meeting is the week before? I have a premonition that there will be several skippers that will miss these two meetings, and apparently the race entry deadline.

Synthia/Eyrie

Ergo
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Synthia,

What's different about HMB and Farallones is that both go past Pt. Bonita, the line the CG has set for "Offshore Races." We set the skippers' meetings ahead a week so that we can be sure we have the information we need to submit the float plan to the CG and get permits.

The proceedure this year, it seems to change yearly, is that "offshore" races have been given permit numbers but not permits. Every club conducting an "offshore" race needs to apply for a permit, submit a float plan with fairly detailed information on each boat entered, meet with the CG to review the application and wait to see if we get a permit.

We're holding the skippers meetings 10 in advance of the races to give ourselves enough time to complete the process. We won't have time to chase down emergency contact information, etc at the same time we're trying to complete the permit application process.

Bill Merrick
SSS Commodore

Eyrie
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Got it, thx for the clarification.

Synthia/Eyrie