PDA

View Full Version : Hydrostatic Release

ajgoldman
03-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Deck mounted liferaft in a cradle, amidship under the boom, hydrostatic release, yes or no?

I can see benefits and cons to both.

Thanks,

AJ

BobJ
03-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd ask Sal's opinion (Sal's Inflatable Services in Alameda).

My personal preference is that I'd want to make the decision when to pull the cord, not have it made for me before I might be ready.

Same for my EPIRB, which is why I don't have the hydrostatic release type.

Culebra
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM
AJ, forgive the levity... but let's see... raft at highest point on boat, raft activated by water pressure, therefore boat underwater. Could be a problem.

Actually, the hydrostatic release is so that the canister will open and the raft will inflate automatically when you dump it into the water. That's a very good thing. It seems to me that the issue may not be hydrostatic release or not. The issue might be where to mount. Wouldn't you have to muscle the thing down to the water-level from a pretty precarious location, unless you let it crash down the side or unless the boat is already pretty low in the water from sinking? I have the same issue with foredeck mounts... the boat is probably tossing and turning, waves crashing over the deck, and I wouldn't want to go there to get to the raft. I like what people are doing now with aft-mounted units.

Paul

jakmang
03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I thought you had to have both. A cord to yank when you throw it overboard AND a hydrostatic charge that goes off at 6 feet under or so. It may depend on the packing style, canister or valise? I sure wouldn't want one that hydro-statically triggered on the surface. One big wave and poof. I had that problem on the foredeck with boarding seas and my Mustang harness - instant Pillsbury Doughboy.

-jak

jfoster
03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
AJ, forgive the levity... but let's see... raft at highest point on boat, raft activated by water pressure, therefore boat underwater. Could be a problem.

Actually, the hydrostatic release is so that the canister will open and the raft will inflate automatically when you dump it into the water. That's a very good thing. SNIP
Paul

Some years ago, a friend of mine decided to test life raft launching in major storm conditions on the deck of a 300' research vessel in the southern ocean.

The inflated raft thrashed around, briefly, like a kite on its tether, before the tether ripped off and the raft disappeared down wind.

You might give some thought to how you might cope with raft launching in a storm.

John
Blueberry, Nonsuch 22 sail #48

BobJ
03-16-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking my boat would be my best life raft.

Does anyone know where you get the formulae for calculating what you need for watertight compartments/bulkheads? I think my boat could be a good candidate for them. Light, lots of open space in the ends, sealed rudder tube, etc.