PDA

View Full Version : 90 Days from the start and......

John Hayward
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

In case anyone is feeling pressed, I just thought I would let you know how Dream Chaser is coming. I had the bulhead that holds the chainplates for the after lowers and intermediates on the starboard side replaced a couple of months ago, I just discovered that it's sister across the boat is also going, so the boat in in Sven's to have that and a bottom job done. The joys of a 35 year old boat. To repair the starboard bulkhead I had to rip out much of the cabinetry around the Nav Station. To gain access to the port bulkhead, two days ago I ripped out all the cabinetry behind the stove in the galley. When I was having the first bulkhead repaired, I was also having a new boom and traveler installed and rigging the whisker pole so it wouldn't fall on my head again going across this time (hopefully) :-) I also have a new radar to install when I finish ripping out the old one that quit in the tropics. Additionally I have a new autopilot drive unit to install and (again hopefully) it will talk to the brain from the old autopilot, so I don't have to replace the entire autopilot just now. Then when the boat gets out of Sven's, Covercraft will be working on a new dodger and sail covers for it. Somewhere in there I also have to either install an entirely new HF system or replace the unrepairable Icom M700Pro. In addition, I feel I should rebuild the galley and nav station cabinetry. This, is just the big stuff. I also have trips to Austin/Tulsa and AZ/NV before then.

Remember that Dream Chaser did the 2008 Transpac and was all ready for it so this race was supposed to be a "freeby."

Can anyone imagine how much wouldn't get done if it weren't for the "last minute?????"

John
Dream Chaser
1975 Valiant 40 (currently under reconstruction)

haulback
03-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Good Grief!!! Bigger boats...bigger problems

Samuel Burns
03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
John - How long did your ICOM 700 last? I installed an SSB ground plate today and was just about to plunk down the $$$$ for an ICOM unit but now I'm having 2nd thoughts!

John Hayward
03-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Samuel,

Icom makes a great radio and the problem I had had nothing to do with the age of the radio. It had an intermittant problem that the factory could not duplicate. It happens, but, fortunately, rarely. I may get another M700Pro just cause the boat is wired for it and it was easy to remote control and tune. I would stick with your plans to get an Icom because there are not a lot of marine SSB choices and Icom is the best by far. It is frustrating to throw away a $1000 radio though.

Best of luck to you.

John
Dream Chaser

John Hayward
03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi Again Samual,
I just thought I would let you know I just plunked down the $$$ for an Icom M710. I had thought about installing a ham radio opened up for the marine bands (I have several), but was seduced by the ease of having the computer control the modem, the modem control the radio and the radio control the tuner, so I can be steering while the computer sets everything to receive weather faxes etc. automatically. Guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

John
Dream Chaser

Samuel Burns
04-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Where did you buy your ICOM710? Docksideradio [DSR] is likely to get my dough, unless someone can recommend elsewhere............since I am an EE, it will be downright embarasing if I can't get the thing up and running by myself!

John Hayward
04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi Samuel,
I got it at HodgesMarine.com. Total with 2 day shipping was $1423 for the 710. It arrives today.

Good Luck!

John
Dream Chaser