PDA

View Full Version : Farallon race

fullkeel
04-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I have a few general questions about the upcoming single handed Farallon race:

1.) I dont yet have a PHRF rating, will I be able to get one in time?

2.) Can anyone who has competed in the race in the past comment on the start. How many boat usually participate in this race? How hectic is the start?

Thanks.

Wylieguy
04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Fullkeel, Yes, you have time to get a PHRF Certificate. Go to the YRA Website <yra.org> and/or call Laura at 415.771.9500. If you have a one-off/unusual boat, I'd get going because that will require more info/documentation and action at a NC PHRF Committee meeting. Even if it's a standard boat for which there are "sister" PHRF Certificates, I'd urge you to begin the process.
About the SSS Farallon Race. Last year there were 75 boats entered. Sometimes there are a few more. I don't think the starts are particularly aggressive. Most everyone understands that things happen more slowly when you're singlehanding - and it's often pretty light wind early on so boats are moving slowly, too. There's 58 nm to go, so a few seconds at the start rarely mean the difference between winning or losing.
Pat Broderick

fullkeel
04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi Pat, thanks for the details.

I got the paper work done this afternoon so hopefully Skylark, my Bristol 29 will have a rating soon.

Looking forward to the race.

Thanks. Chase

Wylieguy
04-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Fullkeel, I might add that the SSS reverses the normal starting order, starting the slower divisions first, so you'd likely be in one of the first two starts that day. Gets you out of the way when the big boys are speeding around behind the starting line. --Pat B.

Matt
04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Last year I got sucked across the start line early and didn't have enough wind to make it back.

After I buy an EPIRB, put the lifelines back on my boat and get prepared for off-shore again, I'm going to stow my anchor in a very handy place for this years start, just in case. I'm getting better at timing those early morning starts by the Golden Gate Yacht Club but often there is little or no wind. Shutting off the motor, getting setup for the line and trying to start properly in a sailboat race with no wind is tricky. Check your tide tables and come to the skipper's meeting for pointers.