PDA

View Full Version : 2008 SHTP Bug Lighters

sleddog
04-17-2010, 09:51 PM
2008 SHTP Bug Lighters seemed to have the E.Bay waterfront covered yesterday, 4/16/10:

At the Boatshow BAADS (Bay Area Assoc. of Disabled Sailors) booth, Synbad and Sleddog set a new mixed doubles record on the coffee grinder winch for a worthy cause.

Nearby BobJ and Skip were congratulating CHELONIA on his new J-32, while both eyed the seductive and sexy Mini-Transit 6.5.

Across the way, WARRIORS WISH looked like a rocket ship about to get lit. Nice new permanent hatch dodger Don and Ronnie!

Over at Bay Ship, Dwight was seen stepping his freshly painted and inspected mast back into NA NA. Nice. Give Dwight a pair of pliers and anything is possible.

Nearby was berthed the beautiful circumnavigator Pan-Oceanic 46 NEPENTHE, awaiting survey under the attentive eyes of Ruben and Robbie.

In all the too-ing and fro-ing, the General has stealthily entered HARRIER in this, his 11th SHTP. Go Ken!

Onward

Sparky
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
It was a treat to see Dwight at the boatyard...haven't seen him since Hanalei Bay in 2008. Sleddog, it's always great to see you!

We had fun at the boat show, but the highlight of the weekend was hanging out with Robert 'Black Feathers' and Jeanne Crawford at the Half Moon Bay YC on Saturday night! The evening was fantastic, and the HMBYC were such gracious hosts!

I just looked at the roster for the 2010 SHTP entries, and all I can say is, "The General" is the man! You are such an inspiration...so much so that we talked about you at the HMBYC. Robbie and I wish you a safe and speedy journey to beautiful Hanalei Bay.

A couple of years ago, Tiger Beetle said something to me that was so profound. He said that for some racers "their eyes are bigger than the stomach." I interpreted that as: we all dream of sailing solo to paradise, but it takes more than just a dream to get to the starting line. It takes a lot of hard work, friends, support, and money to get there. So, with great respect to the class of 2010, have fun and stay focused. This is a wonderful experience to have...at least it was for me. Wishing all of you the best!

sleddog
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
5/21/10

Keep your fingers crossed for Tom Kirschbaum who is object of ongoing CG search after his 26' FERAL washed up yesterday on the Venice (Santa Monica) Beach while racing from Catalina to Marina Del Rey.

Conditions were rough, with winds 20-30 knots. Water temps in low 60's.

Tom and FERAL competed in the '08 SHTP

tiger beetle
05-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Skip -

Feral is a good boat. Was he returning home from the PSSA Santa Barbara race, or was there another race he was participating in?

- rob/beetle

sleddog
05-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Reports are sketchy. Tom's wife Gayle reports he had raced MDR to Catalina the previous day (Sat.) and was returning home from Catalina to MDR Sunday. In light of weather conditions, possibly the PSSA race to Santa Barbara Island was shortened?

Tom had e-mailed Gayle yesterday from Emerald Bay on Catalina that all was well and he was departing for Mainland at 9:30 a.m.

6 hours later FERAL came ashore at Navy St., Venice Beach, which is 2 miles W of Marina Del Rey and 32 miles from Emerald Bay.

Conditions reported from nearby wx buoys were winds 25-30 knots and 8-10 foot seas.

FERAL's GPS was recovered, and showed a straight track towards Palos Verdes Penisula. Then a curve north towards where the boat ran aground off Venice Beach. CG was reportedly searching last night w/ a C-130 along the coast within 3 miles of shore. Search is being expanded today w/ helos and cutters.

A course from Emerald Bay towards MDR passes the Palos Verdes Penisula within 3 miles. There are many inaccessible pocket coves along the south and west cliffs of the PV Penisula. Hopefully he came ashore there and will be found.

sleddog
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
7/20/10

Making a new friend mid-ocean is an unlikely event. Especially when I am solo sailing home from the '08 SHTP and he is captain of a 1067 foot, 100,000 horsepower container ship returning from China to the West Coast.

I first met Ivo (Capt. Ivo Hzrua, Czech Republic) Sept.1, 2008 on the bridge of the MSC TORONTO minutes after he had deftly manuvered his massive ship alongside WILDFLOWER. In gale conditions I managed to climb the pilot's ladder and board the TORONTO, leaving "FLEUR" forever behind.

Now, almost two years later, Ivo and I remain good friends. Ivo's job brings the MSC TORONTO to SF Bay every 6 weeks. For 12 hours we get together, tell stories, ride bikes, hike, kayak, swim, and generally enjoy our time together like two sailors ashore in the same port.

I salute Capt.Ivo, his crew and ship. Our original meeting was something of chance. But sailors helping sailors still remains a tradition of the sea.

sleddog
09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Great front page article and pics in SJ Mercury Local News this morning, 9/4/10, on Alan Hebert, "Heavy Metal Mover." Photos of Alan doing what he likes doing best after sailing: wearing a kilt and tossing the 16 pound stone, the 16 pound light hammer, and tossing the caber. All of which he will be doing this weekend and the Scottish Games at Alameda County Fairground. Stand Clear.

Good Luck Alan!

sleddog
10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Fun to see SHTP vets at Vallejo 1-2. I was priviledged to be able to sail with Bob aboard his RAGTIME on the Return Leg. What a fun boat, fast and easy to handle shorthanded. Fun also to see Synbad, AJ, Mark, CHESAPEAKE, TAZ!!, Max, and the rest of you. All the best from Capitola

ajgoldman
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Skip, great to see you out there! I miss sailing! It was so nice to get back on the water on Alchera. Here is a funny story. Two days ago I took Second Verse sailing on the bay SH, I got her perfectly trimmed and went down below to do some stuff. I am so used to sailing the boat while being down below that I laid down to take a nap. Holly shit, I was in the bay! I jumped up and ran back into the cockpit, I'm not I'm the middle of the ocean anymore! I can laugh now.

Eyrie
10-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Uh AJ, next time you take Second Verse out for a solo sail, could you give me a call? I think I'll opt to stay in my slip... Heh heh.

BobJ
10-22-2010, 08:21 AM
When AJ told me that story on the phone I thought "no worries AJ, I won't tell anybody." Then here it is for all to see.

I suppose we all have a few: "There's only two places you can run aground in the Estuary and this isn't one of them . . ."

ronnie simpson
10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
while we're all telling self-depricating stories, i will admit to spending 2 hours hard aground while entering Clipper Cove during Fleet Week with Adam Correa, Rob and Ladonna. Nothing says "I have a keel!" like running aground while entering the anchorage...

AJ, you conveniently failed to mention your little nap when i saw you at the dock after your day sail..... haha

Eyrie
10-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey, anyone up for a bug lighter raft-up in McCovey Cove Thursday for game 2?

ronnie simpson
10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Synthia, i am planning on coming over Thursday for game 2 as well. i will be rafted up to the big purple Columbia that i was rafted up next to during the NLCS. feel free to tie up alongside.

ronnie

just so everyone knows, we rafted up next to culebra last wednesday and was right in front of eyrie on thursday. lets get an shtp raft up at the world series!!!!

AlanH
12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Great front page article and pics in SJ Mercury Local News this morning, 9/4/10, on Alan Hebert, "Heavy Metal Mover." Photos of Alan doing what he likes doing best after sailing: wearing a kilt and tossing the 16 pound stone, the 16 pound light hammer, and tossing the caber. All of which he will be doing this weekend and the Scottish Games at Alameda County Fairground. Stand Clear.

Good Luck Alan!

Thanks, Skip! Yeah, that was kind of fun article. It got the Stanford Alumni magazine to write one, as well, so I'm "sharing an issue" with Jim Plunkett. NOT!