PDA

View Full Version : Longpac style sail

robtryon
04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
A few of us are going out to do a sail 200 out and back, we will meet Fri May 14, at Schoonmaker Point marina in Sausalito, and sail out early in the morning on Sat. Anyone that would like to join please call Rob at 503 490 3305, or email at svsilentsun@yahoo.com.

Rob T.

Oceanslogic
04-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Blue Moon will be there!! :) We plan on bringing up the rear of the pack...Any idea how many boats will be going on this little jaunt? Ronnie? Jak? Sam? AJ?

Adam
s/v Blue Moon
International Folkboat #175
www.oceanslogic.com

jakmang
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I will probably be going. It will be a stretch to make it back for the Farallones skipper's meeting.

-jak

ronnie simpson
05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Warrior's Wish will be there. Adam, we're match racing to the weather mark, right?

Oceanslogic
05-04-2010, 07:24 PM
No Ronnie...You have it all wrong...we will match race once you get rid of that speedy thing and get yourself either a Contessa 26 or Folkboat...once you do that...it will be on! Besides...match racing to the weather mark with our current situation...just wouldn't be fair to you :) Glad you will participating in what I am no longer calling the Second Longpac but the "Last Minute Pack"--T-shirts and stickers will be available at our meeting place next Friday :) We will also be giving away very rare and very sought after "Got Tord?" stickers...Rob Tryon can fill you in on the "Got Tord" phenomenon that is sweeping the Bay Area right now...I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the "Last Minute Pack" and any other SSS'ers that are getting out for a little sail.

See you all soon..

Adam
s/v Blue Moon
Turboed International Folkboat

jakmang
05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I will probably be the back-of-the-pack comm boat for the race. I would not mind practicing the procedure a bit on the Late Pac. We could do checkins on SSB and possibly VHF. Think about if you want to participate and who, if anyone, you would want your position emailed to on the beach.

-jak

Oceanslogic
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Jak..
That sounds like a great idea...and emailing our positions back to shore could be a lot of fun...I'm definitely game...glad you will be heading out with us...and I like the sound of "late pac" better than my previously mentioned "Last Minute Pack"...has a better ring to it...

Adam
s/v Blue Moon

BobJ
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I've already received a couple e-mails via satphone from AJ (I think he's just heading out). Why don't you copy SHTP Central on yours too?

SHTransPac@yahoo.com

BobJ
05-09-2010, 08:26 AM
From the "real deal" department, here's the latest from AJ (slightly edited for the board):

All is well. COG 228 true, speed 6.5 knots, winds 18-22

I got the sh** kicked out of me leaving the gate. Sustained 28 knots, gusting to 35. I had to head down a bit more than I wanted, but she was happiest there. In fact, I'm on the way to Kauai! Well, I better turn around soon. Will head home, be back Monday.

Near the last marker, one big swell/wave hit me broad side and went entirely over the boat! It felt like I was under a waterfall!

Three dolphins love me! They have found me three times during the trip. No whales, good!

Last story, a tanker changed course to get closer to me, I swear! It really pissed me off! I had him tracking for over twenty minutes on AIS before I saw him, I was well clear, and he turned. I hate those big things!

It is really cold at night! Tell the other guys to bring warm clothing.

The boat is good, one thing kind of broke, I don't understand what happened, will fix when I get back.

I'm seasick, bummer! I also have this heartburn that I can't get rid of.

Second Verse, signing off.

AJ

This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using OCENS.Mail software.
Please be kind and keep your replies short.

Alchera
05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Sounds like AJ and Second Verse are getting a good workout. Which is good, if something is going to break, better it happen now than 1000 miles from land!

- Mark

jakmang
05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
It has gotten quite pissy in the East Bay today. Wondering how he is doing out there.

-jak

ajgoldman
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Second Verse is home! Sailed under the gate, motored home to port, and fell into the berth. Will be at the meeting tonight. The best part of coming home is your first sight of the gate! The worst part is taking forever to get there!

Does anyone else sing the song "show me the way to go home..." about 100 times on the way back?

I'm now land sick.

AJ

Alchera
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Congratulations! So are you going to make any changes to anything as a result before you head out on the transpac? Anything break?

- Mark

ajgoldman
05-10-2010, 05:26 PM
The number one thing I learned, I love my boat, she will take care of me, we have a good relationship.

Items to fix:

1) Hydrovane (already called the company, easy fix)
2) Small leaks (not enough to sink the boat, but enough to be annoying when lying down, drip, drip, drip)
3) Need to keep the nav station dry (that one wave got water into the boat in places I never would have dreamed!)
4) The radar reflector was too loose, kept hitting the cap shroud, fixed at sea.
5) Got water in the aft lazerate (need to replace gasket on hatch)

Items to work on:

1) Going aloft. I went up about 150 miles out, made it to the first spreaders, what a wild ride! Thank god I had my climbing helmet on! I need a system to stay attached to the staysail while going up, after that, I’ll be close enough to the mast to wrap a line around.
2) More sun shade. Wearing a hat gives me a headache after a while.
3) Drying out clothes ASAP.

I missed milk, I love cereal. Also, why does classical music sound so good out there?

AJ

BobJ
05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
You're hooked now AJ. Hanalei is just the beginning.

Alchera
05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
The number one thing I learned, I love my boat, she will take care of me, we have a good relationship.

Items to fix:

1) Hydrovane (already called the company, easy fix)
2) Small leaks (not enough to sink the boat, but enough to be annoying when lying down, drip, drip, drip)
3) Need to keep the nav station dry (that one wave got water into the boat in places I never would have dreamed!)
4) The radar reflector was too loose, kept hitting the cap shroud, fixed at sea.
5) Got water in the aft lazerate (need to replace gasket on hatch)

Items to work on:

1) Going aloft. I went up about 150 miles out, made it to the first spreaders, what a wild ride! Thank god I had my climbing helmet on! I need a system to stay attached to the staysail while going up, after that, I’ll be close enough to the mast to wrap a line around.
2) More sun shade. Wearing a hat gives me a headache after a while.
3) Drying out clothes ASAP.

I missed milk, I love cereal. Also, why does classical music sound so good out there?

AJ

Sounds like a very productive shakedown - you should be ready! You can usually find the longlife milk in cereal size servings in the kids lunchbox/juicebox sections in most grocery stores now.

- Mark

ronnie simpson
05-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Warrior's Wish is home from the LatePac. Came back through the gate Monday afternoon. Will write more later. Has anyone heard from Adam, Sam or Tom?