PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Participants and Interest Levels

BobJ
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
As the early entry deadline of February 1, 2008 approaches, I asked Synthia if I could copy this list over from the old board and ask for updates. She said "yes" so here it is. How are your levels of interest, and who should she add to the list? Please update/add your info in this thread as you did last May. Thank you!
__________________________________________________ ________

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:57 pm Post subject: for inquiring minds
The long awaited list of participant replies: total = 29

Last, First - boat - home port - Interest - boat # - $paid

vets = 12
Hebert, Alan - Santa Cruz 27 - Alameda, CA - Interest 5 #30 $100
Kellam, Jim - Spencer 35 - Delta, BC, Canada - Interest 5 #50 $100
Merrick, Bill - Ericson 35 - Sausalito, CA - Interest 5 #3
Humann, Chris - Dana 24 - Berkeley,CA - Interest 5 #39
Hughes, Al - Open 60 - Seattle, WA - Interest 5 #184 or 84
McKay, George - Freedom 21 - SF Bay Area, CA - Interest 5 #100
Freeman, Lou - Swan 51 - San Diego, CA - Interest 4.9 #51
Deppe, Mark - J/120 - San Francisco, CA - Interest 4 #7
Allan, Skip - Wylie Custom 27 - Capitola,Ca - Interest 4 #222
Johnston, Bob - J/92 - Alameda, CA - Interest 3 #18
Roper, Ken - Finn Flyer 31 Los Angeles, CA - Interest 1 #77
Odom, Dwight - Saga 43 - Sausalito, CA - Interest ? #?

Minis = 5 (Update: I'm told the Minis are planning their own race.)
Colman, Conrad - chartered Mini - Auckland, New Zealand - Interest 5
Blunt, Adrian - Mini Transat USA 680 - Victoria, BC - Interest 5
Ausmus III, Sam - Dix Didi Mini (Open 6.50) - Nassau Bay, TX - Interest 4.5
withheld, withheld - Mini Transat - Planet Earth - Interest 4
Sharkey, Jay - chartered Mini - home port ? - Interest ?

uh, not minis and not vets = 12
Barthelmass, John - Columbia 30 Sportboat - Huntington Beach, CA - Interest 5 #53
Denney, Rob - 15m Harryproa - Perth, Western Australia - Interest 5 #1 $100
Hayward, John - Valiant 40 - Sausalito, CA - Interest 4
Gould, Gary - Islander 36 - Oxnard, CA - Interest 4
Parrish, Chris - Corsair 28R - Houston, Texas - Interest 3+
Bates, Jim - choice of 5 - Slidell Louisiana - Interest 3
Foster, John - J/24 - Alameda, CA - Interest 3 #42 $100
Filson, Terry - boat ? - Richland, WA - Interest 1
Berry, Michael - Spencer 35 - Seattle, WA - Interest 1
Feinroth, Todd - Pretorien 35 - Friday Harbor, WA - Interest ?
Myles, John - boat ? - Hilo, HI - Interest ?
Rollins, Richard - Pearson 323 - Walnut Creek, CA - Interest ?

Hesperus
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Woodward, Paul Modified Kirby 23 Bath North Carolina Interest level 5

Libations Too
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Rollins, Richard....I'll be a spectator this year.

ChrisH
01-06-2008, 02:52 PM
With regret I'm withdrawing my interest of "5" and replacing it with a "1".

Chris Humann
Carroll E #39

Warriors Wish
01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Gray, Don ...Jutson 30.....Mooresville, North Carolina ....$100 deposit #13

Hesperus
01-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Hesperus wishes to have number 62. Hesperus also welcomes another North Carolinian to the race, and hopes that Carroll E's interest level increases.

Paul Woodward

cr1
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Hillman, Rich - Contessa 26 - Dana Point, CA. - Interest 5 - #078 or #78

seabird51
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Freeman, Lou Swan 51, Seabird, Mexico and Fresno, Interest level remains 4.9, # 51. ( amnesia is a wonderful thing, without it women would never have more than one childbirth experience)

nereida
01-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Socrates, Jeanne - Najad 361 "Nereida" - Hamble, U.K. - Interest 5 - #93.
(May have logistical/time problem getting to start line - may have to be content with finish line! Time will tell...)
Love your comment, Lou - amnesia is definitely flourishing!! (What's with the 0.1?) Chris - hope that 1 gets back up to 5 soon...

AlanH
01-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Ankle Biter is rarin' to go. Interest is a 5

There are health issues in the family which could prevent me from going at the absolute last minute, but aside from that, I'M THERE.

Eric Thomas
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Once the trailer tires thaw from being frozen to the ground, we will make final preperations to head west, that and a few other items on the list... Polar Bear is a 5 on interest and a 4.5 on the reality scale.

Eric Thomas Olson 30, Lake Superior

haulback
01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Haulback and I will almost certainly be along this year to join everyone for a nice little sail across to the islands.

Jim/Haulback

Ergo
01-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Since the only reason I do this race is to have a chance to beat Phil and since Phil isn't racing this year, Ergo and I will be staying here this summer.

Bill Merrick

Alchera
01-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Alchera is still planning to go, interest level still at 4 and holding. But Alchera wishes Arch Enemy Tiger Beetle would come along too. Looking forward to seeing Haulback again as a competitor, though he played the harbormaster role so well, it will be hard to replace him.

- Mark

Eyrie
01-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Please don't overlook the other TransPac thread titled 'The Marketing Machine' regarding local printed news sources in your area. We want to spread the word about our race to an interested audience, and whom more interested than your neighbors?!? Might even get you a complementary cup-o-joe at the corner Starbucks.

Synthia

Ergo
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I posted this on the SSS thread last week and, based on my own pattern of looking at topics, figure that some SHTP participants may have missed it.

Sail Magazine is intetested in publishing an article on the SHTP in their June or July issue. I am collecting information for them. They want to cover things like:

History of the race

Description of the race (length, strategies, squall tactics, etc.)

The boats (types, largest, smallest, etc.)

The skippers (4 or 5 of the racers who represent the fleet (oldest, youngest, most experienced, least experienced, etc).

Preparation, equipment, modifications, etc.

Any suggestions, advice, etc. is needed and wanted. If you have any questions, please contact me at 415-331-8820.

Bill Merrick

Warriors Wish
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Bill I am doing my second race of this type, Bermuda 1-2 last year , Transpac this year and then hopefully Ostar in 2009. It is interesting to see the differences in the saftey and equipment regs between each of the races. Might make an interesting piece for one of the publications.

cr1
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Bill,

Here are a couple of notes on my boat and myself. 63 years old (me not the boat. The boat's just a youngster at 31 years old). 26' Contessa. Putting radar/plotcharter, SSB, Monitor windvane, 1 solar panel, 3 new lifeline batteries, rigging stuff, design and install traveler. So how come the list just gets longer... No experience, first time SHTP but race with PSSA to qualify (Guadalupe Race 700nm).

BobJ
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Ragtime!'s interest level officially remains at 3. It's actually 5+ but I'm mired in the logistics, since I may not have the extra time this year to sail the boat home.

Eric Thomas's quote from Matson http://www.sfbaysss.net/showpost.php?p=341&postcount=19 blew me out of the water. I just got a quote from PASHA of $5,800. This is Honolulu to San Diego - they don't ship to Oakland like Matson does. It assumes a total weight (with trailer) of 9,500#, includes a fuel surcharge of 26% (an extra $1,100!), and some wharfage fees at each end. It does not include yard work to decommission the boat/prepare it for shipment, or ground transportation to PASHA's terminal. I plan to talk with the PASHA rep next week to see if there are any existing arrangements with the PacCup fleet which might lower the costs.

My boat is a J/92 (30' x 10' x 12.5' high) and weighs 5,500#. I don't have a trailer so I would need to buy, rent or borrow one.

I have also been looking into having someone else sail it home. Someone shipping a smaller boat back, who has the extra time might be a good candidate. I welcome all suggestions and leads at this point - Ragtime! really wants to do the race again.

ScottJ
01-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Johnson, Scott - Islander 30 - Monterey, Ca - Interest 5 #88

blighbaum
01-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Feral - International Folkboat - #637 - interest level 5. Although this will be a bit less fun without my "archenemy" the Carole E and without my photofinisher from the '03 farallones race Ergo.

- Tom Kirschbaum

Ergo
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Tom. Our race in from the Farallons ranks right up there with me also.

Re: returning Ragtime from Hanalei. In '04 I traded cash for time with a Moore 24 and it worked out ok. Ergo got home in great shape, the Moore 24 saved on shipping but the experience wasn't great for either of us. If I were to do it again, I'd find a skipper from the race and 1 or 2 crew with offshore experience and/or good familiarity with the type boat being returned. I think familiarity with the type boat is as important as offshore experience. First time racers at least know their boats and, as almost all of us have learned, during a 2100 nm passage, something is going to break or at least develop quirks.

If I were sailing back myself again I'd definitely have at least one crew member. It may be an amazing experience to go both ways alone but if things go bad on the return having another body on board could make a big difference. Whether I was sailing back myself or having the boat sailed back, it would be doublehanded or crewed. It should also be considered that with crew it might be possible to get insurance coverage.

Bill Merrick

John Hayward
01-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Hayward, John, Valiant 40, Livermore,CA, Interest level 5 (will be handing checks for membership, entry fee and almost all of the completed entry forms to Rob or Synthia at the seminar tomorrow night. I have to go now, just rented a house in Princeville for wife, brother, father, etc. to (hopefully) see me cross the finish line.

John

Jeff Lebesch
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Lebesch, Jeff - Hammerhead 54 - #1554 - Oakland, CA - interest = entry submitted - $700

Velocious
01-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Hello,

I must make 2 changes to the interest list. First, I sold my Freedom 21 and bought an SC27 (Velocious from GW) so I would have a faster crossing and maybe work a one design start with Ankle Biter. Unfortunately, I won't have the time to take off this summer, so my plans have changed to get to know the boat and do my qualifier in hopes of a '10 SHTP. So please take my name off the list for this year, George McKay (now of Velocious, SC27)

BobJ
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I plan to talk with the PASHA rep next week to see if there are any existing arrangements with the PacCup fleet which might lower the costs.

An update - I had a great conversation with PASHA and there is a high level of interest in putting a package together for us. They gave me a provisional quote which is substantially lower than what I wrote in my earlier post. There will also be package options to get boats back to the Bay Area from PASHA's terminal in San Diego.

Please get in touch with me if the return shipping is a factor in your decision to race.

Warriors Wish
01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Bob,

I am currently planning on sailing back but if the numbers are right I might ship back.
I have a trailer which I would have to get to San Diego from SF for shipment to Hawaii and then fly back to SF. I am also concerned about the timing of the shipment since I have to get the boat back to NC eventually. With trailer I weigh in around 7500lbs and around 50' LOA with the mast on deck, boat is 31' .
Thanks for your efforts, Don

cr1
01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Bob,
Like Don, I'm planning on sailing back but if the numbers are right, I'd prefer shipping back. If you need any data let me know.

Rich Hillman
captainrich1@sbcglobal.net
Horizon - Contessa 26

Hesperus
01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Bob,

After the last race (2006) I left my boat in Hawaii and sailed it back to the mainland the summer of 2007. I had planned on doing the same this year, but finding a place for the winter is a problem, so if the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in shipping to the west coast. On the trailer the boat probably weighs about 3600 pounds, is 24 feet long with a 38 foot mast.
The boat is currently on the trailer in Seattle, I'll tow it to SF, then tow the trailer to San Diego if necessary. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Paul Woodward
s/v Hesperus
Paul Woodward

Alchera
01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I got a call from Larry Cummins from 'Load A Boat' company, who says he is ready to work with the SSS TransPac'ers to ship their boats back at very competitive rates, and says he can beat Matson. Plus they can work out any arrangement of using your own trailer or not (quite an advantage) as well as trucking it anywhere in the country. The more you ask them to do, of course, the more it costs. I asked him to start a thread with more detailed info and he said he would.

The site is www.loadaboat.com and Larry seems to be able to make quotes pretty quickly right over the phone once you give him the boat dimensions and what you want them to do.

- Mark

jbarthelmass
01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I grossly underestimated the amount of time (and money, for that matter) that it would take to prepare for the SHTP. Bottom line...I won't be able to make the race this year.

I'll continue with my preparation so that I don't run into the same situation next time.

To all those who succeed in getting to the starting line in July, know that you have my respect and admiration. Hopefully, I'll be able to join your ranks in 2010.

BobJ
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm sure sorry to hear that John.

When I started doubting whether I would be ready I hired out a couple of the bigger jobs to get back on track (the autopilot upgrade and the e-rudder). More money for sure, but a few things make the financial pain fade fast:

1) One of those amazing nights in the trades when you're barreling along under spinnaker with a full moon and warm steady breeze, and you don't want to take your nap because the sailing is so great.

2) When the SHTP R/C announces over the VHF: "2.7 Seconds has just finished the 2008 Singlehanded TransPac."

3) When you are resting at anchor in Hanalei Bay and you look up the mountains around you, and you can't believe one spot on this Earth could be so beautiful.

4) When you come to the Tree for the first time after finishing and those who preceded you all start clapping and cheering.

And other things like that.

Bob J.

John Hayward
01-27-2008, 01:42 PM
John,

I agree with Bob. If you are getting behind, then farm some of the work out. Borrow money if you have to. It will probably be all paid off by 2010 anyway and you will have great memories. 2010 is a long way off......... What the heck, you may want to do it again in 2010. Most of us that are doing it for the first time have a huge and expensive preparation list, so you're not alone.

John H.

cr1
01-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey John,

I'm also sorry to hear. Possibly you'll reconsider with the input of the posts before this one as motivation. I also kind of lost the Aloha and feeling of sailing in trades and the constantly warm breezes that all contribute to a wonderful experience. This is my first time doing the SHTP as you know but have sailed a little in the trades. The previous couple of posts renewed my resolve.

As far as money, time, labor etc. -- what a monumental task. But I've had to borrow some money and also farm out more and more tasks as the race gets nearer. Bishop Rock race is February, full moon and Guadalupe is March, full moon so deadlines are approaching.

Best,

Rich
Horizon

ScottJ
01-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi John, You Can Do It! The gun hasn't fired yet! Who says we're going to be here in 2010? If you ever need to feel motivated about your position, come see me and I'll show you what being behind is really like ;) Just do your best, then go with what you've got.

jbarthelmass
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
To all,

My entry form and check went in the mail tonight - I don't know how, but I'm gonna be there. I've got a lot of work to do, and a lot of logistics to work out, but I'm gonna do my best to make it.

A particular thanks to those who responded to my earlier posting - it was your words of encouragement that convinced me to push harder to be ready.

Eyrie
01-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Congratulations John, you have just receive your first big helping of what the SSS is known for, the Competitor-Comrade Special. Many more servings to follow. And for dessert, the cherished belt buckle accompanied by the accolades from your peers.

Cheers!
Synthia/Eyrie

Alchera
01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Way to go John!

- Mark/Alchera

cr1
01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey John,

Waytogo! See you for the race around Catalina on the 9th! Looking forward to learning the AS or Symmetrical

Rich
Horizon
----------

Eyrie
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Thought you'd all like to know that as of this mornings run to the PO Box, we currently have 14 provisional race entrants ranging from the smallest Cal 20, up to the largest Open 60, to the widest Hammerhead 54, and a whole assortment in-between. The fleet is about half returning vets and half first timers. I hope to get something posted to the web site soon showing names and boats and faces.

Thanks to the early entrants for giving me some relief that I'm not planning a big party that no one will attend. As for the rest of you, don't let the $100 price increase keep you from joining in, for the experience is priceless. Well, compared to the cost of getting to the starting line, $100 isn't much, and you will surely regret missing the start more than if you lost $100 on a Superbowl bet. ;)

Synthia
08SHTP RC

Terry F
02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
All

I regret to admit publicly that I won't be making the trip this year. I am still interested in doing this someday (2010), so I will continue to sail vicariously through this website. Today though, I'll need to shovel some snow. Y'all take care. t

Gil Maguire
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I own J/133 hull #1 - "Tenacity" which we race and cruise out of Marina del Rey. I am a PSSA member and have been doing their SH races for the past couple of years. Hope to do the PSSA Bishop Rock and Guadalupe Island races in the next few weeks and then possibly your group's SH Transpac this summer. I have read most of your articulate threads and race postings for the past few races with great interest and look forward to meeting most of you some day.
Best regards,
Gil Maguire

John Hayward
02-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Terry and John,

Terry, I'm sure you saw all the posts when John decided to back out and then changed his mind yet again, so I won't rehash it here. Sorry you won't be joining us!

John, Glad you changed your mind. I'll bet you a MaiTai in Hanalei you won't regret it.

John H

robtryon
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Rob Tryon on the Valiant 32 Feolena out of Sausalito is a 5. Just haven't ponied up the cash yet.

Eyrie
02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
As of todays (2/6/08) run to the PO Box, sorted in order of LOA

Boat Name -- Boat -- Home Port -- Last, First

Black Feathers -- Cal 20 -- SF, CA -- Crawford, Robert
Feral -- International Folkboat -- Alameda, CA -- Kirschbaum, Tomas
Horizon -- Contessa 26 -- Dana Point, CA -- Hillman, Richard
2.7 Seconds -- Columbia 30 SY -- Long Beach, CA -- Barthelmass, John
Wildflower -- Wylie Custom 27 -- Capitola, Ca -- Allan, Skip
Kali O Kalani -- Hawkfarm 28 -- Berkeley, CA -- Ratto, Nicholas
Ragtime! -- J/92 -- Benicia, CA -- Johnston, Bob
Harrier -- Finn Flyer 31 -- LA, CA -- Roper, Ken
Warriors Wish -- Jutson 30 -- Oriental, NC -- Gray, Don
Sunquest -- Westsail 32 -- Brisbane, CA -- Siegel, Joshua
Haulback -- Spencer 35 -- Vancouver, BC -- Kellam, Jim
Pakele -- Islander 36 -- Channel Island Harbor -- Gould, Gary
Dream Chaser -- Valiant 40 -- SF, CA -- Hayward, John
Saga 43 -- Na Na -- Sausalito, CA -- Odum, Dwight
Chesapeake -- Outbound 46 -- Berkeley, CA -- Fair, Jim
Hecla -- Hammerhead 54 -- Fort Collins, Co -- Lebesch, Jeff
Dogbark -- X-Open 60 -- Seattle, WA -- Hughes, Al

Synthia

Eyrie
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I just received some correspondence from Rob Denney and he asked me to pass it along to the group:

G'day,

Thanks for the call. Boat prep is not going very well. The hull and
decks are built, there was a big shipping delay for the carbon for the
mast and beams, the builder changed his profession, and the new
builder is still setting up his shop. Plan is to sail in the
Brisbane-Gladstone at Easter and do my qualifying sail on the way back
to Brisbane. If everything works, I will then cut the ends off the
long hull, put it in a container on a ship and see you all in sunny SF
in June.

I am more than willing to compromise, but looking at the SI, you will
have to as well. Whether you do or not is absolutely not a problem
for me. I will do what I can to conform, you can then decide whether
you want my entry fee or not. Regardless, I will be starting at the
same time, doing the course and finishing in Hanalei Bay. While I am
in SF, I expect to take everyone who wants a go on a proa for a sail,
attend any race functions I am invited to, stir up some media interest
in the boat and the race (mostly photoshoots and sails with journos
who have already contacted me), and generally enjoy the company of
you and the other competitors. All going well, I will do the same in
Hawaii.

I advise you not to lose any sleep over any of this, I don't intend to
make a fuss, and probably won't make it to SF this time anyway. If
not, we will go through the same procedure in 2010, perhaps with a few
miles under my keel by then.

I have forgotten my password for the forum, so if you could post your
email and this reply, it will save me re registering. I stopped
contributing to the forum when it became obvious that I was wasting my
breath and antagonising people I wanted to be friends with. Again,
not a problem, I would much rather let my boat do the talking and
leave me free for the partying.

Whether I make it or not, I hope it all goes well.

regards,

Rob

On Feb 5, 2008 3:28 PM, Synthia Petroka <synpetroka@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Hey Rob,
>
> Just a quick note to see how your boat prep is going. Do you think you'll
> be ready in time to meet all the race requirements and get to the starting
> line? Based on some of our previous emails I'm assuming that the case is
> more that you are not willing to compromise to meet our race requirements.
> I surely hope we see you here in SF Bay, as do a number of SSS members who
> are aware of your project. Would very much appreciate an update from you.
>
>
>
> Synthia Petroka
> 08SHTP RC

B612
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
...multihulls racing -08?

Eyrie
02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
yes, the Hammerhead 54