PDA

View Full Version : AIS transmissions not for small boats on the bay!

ajgoldman
05-20-2010, 12:13 PM
I was coming through the bay yesterday, great sail, I had all contacts visually spotted. The only craft near me (100 yards off my port bean) was a small sailing craft (34 feet max). I went down below and happen to look at the laptop and noticed there was an AIS target right on top of me! Holy SH#T! What did I miss? I ran back up, and yes, it was the small boat! Give me a break, a small sailing boat does not need to transmit their AIS on the bay! Can you imagine 100 small boats transmitting at the same time?

I like the idea of transmitting on the open ocean, but in my opinion, leave the AIS transmissions for the big boys on the bay.

AJ

solosailormike
05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I was coming through the bay yesterday, great sail, I had all contacts visually spotted. The only craft near me (100 yards off my port bean) was a small sailing craft (34 feet max). I went down below and happen to look at the laptop and noticed there was an AIS target right on top of me! Holy SH#T! What did I miss? I ran back up, and yes, it was the small boat! Give me a break, a small sailing boat does not need to transmit their AIS on the bay! Can you imagine 100 small boats transmitting at the same time?

I like the idea of transmitting on the open ocean, but in my opinion, leave the AIS transmissions for the big boys on the bay.

AJ
The AIS and radar alarms fit together with Epirb. they give a false sense of securty and just one tiny error leads to diaster. I give a example where transat mini 650 are only allowed to have VHF - because you must have proper experience to get in the races. And show evidence of 1000 mile trip. If you rely on SSB then you tend to take chances that a serious sailor would not. Because in the back of the sailors mind, "I can always get help" . Too much of a good thing is not.

Paul Elliott
05-20-2010, 07:11 PM
AJ and SSM, you are both making the case for learning to use the tools. AIS targets can be any size boat, you'd better just get used to it. The danger is in making assumptions. All AIS targets aren't big boats, and not all big boats will transmit AIS.

SSB, RADAR, AIS (etc) do not create a "false sense of security" -- that's what you do to yourself. If you have these tools, learn to use them, and understand what they do and don't tell you.

(I'm not trying to be preachy here, but the false sense of security argument is one that really sets me off. They said that about RADAR, GPS, and probably about self-tailing winches.)

ajgoldman
05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Paul, don't get me wrong, I love technology, and although I have an AIS receiver on board, I would love to have a transponder as well (can't afford it). I'm simply making the case for the proper use of new technology. Soon AIS transponders will be ubiquitous on small sailboats and I think this is something we should consider (their price will go way down and people like me will be able to afford them).

Is there a way to still receive an AIS transmission and not send out? Maybe this would be a good switch to have: receive only on the bay, transmit on the ocean.

Out of curiosity, will any SHTP boats have an AIS transponder on board?

Paul Elliott
05-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Is there a way to still receive an AIS transmission and not send out? Maybe this would be a good switch to have: receive only on the bay, transmit on the ocean.
Most Class-B transponders have a "stealth" switch, or a connection for one. This shuts off the transmitter, but the receiver still operates.

I'm not in the SHTP, but VALIS has a Class-B transponder. I usually have the transmitter running. If I see you nearby I suppose I could go to stealth-mode ;-)

solosailormike
05-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Most Class-B transponders have a "stealth" switch, or a connection for one. This shuts off the transmitter, but the receiver still operates.

I'm not in the SHTP, but VALIS has a Class-B transponder. I usually have the transmitter running. If I see you nearby I suppose I could go to stealth-mode ;-)

That's a very idea for receiver only, because just think about what will happen in a few years, you are on the bay, and everyone, say 2000 yachts are sending out a Blip-

koh samia
05-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I bought a class-B transponder...

My main reason was not the 'extra safety feeling' (even, though, in certain foggy and windless conditions like last weekend it may be an extra level of safety), but because I'm kind of tired of getting navy helicopters 'checking me out' when I'm out there sailing... They just scare the hell out of me when I'm down below and I hear the loud engine noise!

Nothing wrong with them doing their job, but I thought I could make their job easier and my trip quieter if I just tell them who I am over AIS. Somehow I prefer to listen to the wind...

And, I believe, the alarms can be de-activated too...

Santi