PDA

View Full Version : question re flexible solar panels

blighbaum
01-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Somebody recently told me that the flexible solar panels on the market today are much better than those available a few years ago. Does anyone have any first-hand experience or recommendations? Note that my electrical draw should be light, because I will be using a monitor to steer, and using a sat phone to communicate, so the draw is GPS, AIS, VHF on receive, CARD, LED running lights, and masthead strobe at night. Maybe I could get by with just flexible panels and running the engine occasionally?

- Regards, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral International Folkboat #637

sleddog
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Somebody recently told me that the flexible solar panels on the market today are much better than those available a few years ago. Does anyone have any first-hand experience or recommendations? Note that my electrical draw should be light, because I will be using a monitor to steer, and using a sat phone to communicate, so the draw is GPS, AIS, VHF on receive, CARD, LED running lights, and masthead strobe at night. Maybe I could get by with just flexible panels and running the engine occasionally?

- Regards, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral International Folkboat #637

Am not knowledgeable regarding latest flexible solar panel advances. However, one should be aware that because the SHTP fleet will be sailing southwest with the sun high overhead, that after LAN (local apparent noon) the sun increasingly drops behind the sails and solar panels on deck or on the stern will likely be shaded.

This in itself is not a problem. But coupled with overcast conditions often found during the first 1/3 of the Race, one may find that solar panel output during the day is not as high as initially hoped.

Solar panels need to be well secured to the boat including a safety lanyard in case of breaking seas. Not fond memories of one of WF's two panels being swept overboard the first night.

Velocious
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
For the 04 SHTP I had an 80 W, a 50 W, and three 20 W panels on Cookie Jar and never used my generator backup. I ran my below deck autopilot 80% of the time and never had my 200 AH less than half full. If you go solar only, use LEDs for lighting and get a good battery monitor (Link 10). George.