PDA

View Full Version : Open Registrations for the Entire Year?

brianb
05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Hello RC,

Could you please open the HMB registration now, and all subsequent races via the online system ?

I missed the deadline on the Farallon race (rounded the rock anyway with the fleet) and was surprised to read here that you are setting a 10 day pre race closure of registration.

I wonder why you don't open all the races for registration at the beginning of the season ?

The Farallon weather was perfect for the run home. Thanks to the RC for selecting great weather.

Thanks,

Brian - Red Sky

Ergo
05-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the question. SSS stopped taking registrations for the entire season even before we started using an on-line system. Folks filling out the registration forms for the whole season (I used to do that) and then deciding not to race (I did that too) really created problems on the race deck - the race committee wasn't sure who was racing until after the radio check-in the day of the race.

For Farallones and HMB, we have to prepare float plans with quite a bit of information for the CG. That's the reason we close the registrations for those two races 10 days before the race dates. It takes time to assemble the float plan and for John Foster (bless his heart) to call folks for the information that they left blank. Also, we can't rely on information that is months old.

We are currently looking for a better vender than Compete-At for registrations so that next year the process will be more user friendly and less clunky.

If you or anyone else is really interested in learning the reasons for the way we're doing things, I'd strongly encourage a shift of the race deck of the race of your choice. It's an interesting experience and we'll even give you a hat.

Bill Merrick
SSS Commodore

brianb
05-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi Bill, see comments below:

Folks filling out the registration forms for the whole season (I used to do that) and then deciding not to race (I did that too) really created problems on the race deck - the race committee wasn't sure who was racing until after the radio check-in the day of the race.

>>boats opting out is always a problem no matter when you open/close registration.

For Farallones and HMB, we have to prepare float plans with quite a bit of information for the CG. That's the reason we close the registrations for those two races 10 days before the race dates. It takes time to assemble the float plan and for John Foster (bless his heart) to call folks for the information that they left blank. Also, we can't rely on information that is months old.

>>Yes likely it does. Why not have all skippers file their own float plan ?
>> I was actually suggesting altering the entry window, not altering the closure point.

We are currently looking for a better vender than Compete-At for registrations so that next year the process will be more user friendly and less clunky.

>>DOes the software/web page prevent altering entry opening dates ?

If you or anyone else is really interested in learning the reasons for the way we're doing things, I'd strongly encourage a shift of the race deck of the race of your choice. It's an interesting experience and we'll even give you a hat.

>> I don't understand the sentence above. But if you want help with the float plan entries, send 1/2 to me, I can look them over for errors.

>> I wish the club would go back to allowing entries at the top of the season. Get it all done at once.

Thanks,

Brian

Bill Merrick
SSS Commodore
05-25-2010 04:07 AM

Ergo
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi Brian,

Sorry I wasn't clear. It's an administrative PITA to take the whole season's registrations up front. The good news, for both of us, is that I'm done as Commodre at the end of this year and if the new board wants to accept next year's registrations en mass they can have at it.

Bill Merrick

markm
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello,

I am an SSS member, vanilla Annual SSS membership
Is there a way to do all these OYRA races at reduced cost as we do with SSS?

I see OYRA Drake's, Half Moon Bay, Lightship 2, etc. coming up.
Does one pay for those individually?

I recall during SSS signup there was an additional fee ($50 YRA or something?) to sign up with. Does that give you access only to those races or does it cover the costs of signup as well?

Thanks

Critter
06-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Mark,

You can sign up for the OYRA season and save over individual entry fees. You've already missed several OYRA races, but if you want to do all those races it would still probably save you. YRA has a fairly complicated fee structure, but if you stare at it long enough you'll figure it out. Note though that the OYRA season fee does not cover the Spinnaker Cup or Windjammers, even though they count toward OYRA season points.

SSS has nothing to do with YRA race entries. But if you race YRA you have to be a member of a yacht club, and YRA bills the clubs at the end of the year for their members who raced YRA. That's why SSS adds a surcharge if you're going to race YRA with SSS as your club of record.

Hope that helps...
Max
formerly on the board

jfoster
07-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Hello RC,

Could you please open the HMB registration now, and all subsequent races via the online system ?

I missed the deadline on the Farallon race (rounded the rock anyway with the fleet) and was surprised to read here that you are setting a 10 day pre race closure of registration.

I wonder why you don't open all the races for registration at the beginning of the season ?

The Farallon weather was perfect for the run home. Thanks to the RC for selecting great weather.

Thanks,

Brian - Red Sky

On Jul 20, 2010, at 8:07 PM, SSS Race Committee <info@jibeset.net> wrote:

Hi Brian:

This was just sent to the entrants of the 2010 SHF race, as they had all of the requirements already carried forward for this entry from the last one. Entrants whose last race was the 2010 Corinthian, will have to enter the boat photo and EPIRB/PLB information. There will be slightly more info to enter for for entrants whose last race was an earlier race like the 2010 TBF or a 2009 race.

This is the first time we are using the Jibeset system for race registration. The SSS has been testing this new system for race result generation and live race deck management since the beginning of 2010. The features in Jibeset allows us to provide live update race information to the Coast Guard has led to the decision to use this system for the Half Moon Bay race registration and race management.

For this Race, a copy of your rating certificate, a photo of your boat, and details of at least one of: (1) either your vessel EPIRB or (2) your Skipper PLB or (3) your Crew PLB is required. You may provide them as part of the web registration process or at a later date if you do not have them available now.

The required items that you entered in your most recent race, in this case, the 2010 Single Handed Farallones, will already be in place on your entry. Please edit any values which have changed in the mean time.

Oh yeah, one more thing, the skippers meeting, and entry deadline is 10 days before the race, not the usual 3 days. There is no harm at all in entering early and, on the morning of the race, decide not to risk the weather. So please, go ahead and enter early, and see what happens. (grin)

John Foster, SSS Race Info Officer 2010-2011 Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, sail #48
For more information contact the Race Committee at: adjuvantjfoster@gmail.com