PDA

View Full Version : memorial service for Tom

Feral II
05-28-2010, 08:29 PM
My father's memorial service will be held at the California Yacht Club (late home of the Feral) on June 3rd at 2:00pm. I know that many of you are not in the area, but for those that are, it would be wonderful to have as many sailors as possible. My father was most himself when he was sailing, and i know that he felt a kinship for his fellow solo sailors like he had with no others. at the very least it would be lovely to possibly go out for a sail, walk along the water, or sing some (drunken?) shanties in his honor.

in the future, once things are resolved with the body, we will probably do a special sail in honor of my dad and scatter his ashes on the ocean, anyone who wants to sail in tandem at that time is welcome.

please feel free to forward this to anyone whom you think might want to know and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

wishing you all the very best, and wishing the occasion was different.

ilana kirschbaum

Mark K
05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
If any of the SSS members are heading down to LA for the services and need any help (for example a ride to/from the airport), PM me. I am more than happy to assist.

Mark Keller,
PSSA Commodore

ChrisH
05-29-2010, 09:41 AM
'Carroll E' will be there, at least the crew will be, to wish Tom fair seas on his next, solo adventure. His wonderful spirit will be missed and not forgotten in this crew's hearts and memories. If I could find that Sea Lion that boarded Feral the first day of the '08 SHTP, I'd bring him/her too!.

Sparky
05-29-2010, 09:53 AM
'Sparky' will be there to wish our beloved friend farewell.

Eyrie
05-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Eyrie can be there too. Sparky & Carroll E, perhaps we can coordinate travel arrangements, either same flight down or carpool? Let me know what your plans are.

BobJ
05-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd be in for a carpool. My minivan isn't up for the trip unfortunately.

Eyrie
05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
From the Bay Area I've found a few options:
* the California YC is closest to LAX
* Southwest flights from Oakland or San Jose, approx flight time 1.5 hrs, R/T cost $292
* United flights from SFO, approx flight time 1.5 hrs, R/T cost $172
* Alamo 7-Passenger Minivan (or 8-Passenger) from San Jose, $104 - $132, 7 hr drive time from my home near San Jose Airport, free parking, depart by 6 AM

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
05-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Sparky, Ragtime, & Eyrie are talking about renting an appropriately sized car/van from the San Jose Airport to make the trek down Hwy 5, leaving around 6 AM. Let me know if you would like a seat. Driver gets to pick the tunes, and I have tons of accordion music. Umpapa umpapa.

I also have room for a couple of campers at my house in San Jose after the SSS Farallones trophy meeting. The pinball game and juke boxes are set to free play.

Synthia/Eyrie

AlanH
05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
I have to check at work to make sure, but assuming I can get the day off, and I'm 90% sure I can, I'm in....

and I like accordion music.

robtryon
05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
LD won't be able to come but count me in, Synthia. Could I reserve a spot in the Eyrie Campground for the night of the trophy mtg? LD will drive me down to the mtg if I can hitch a ride from there. Thanks for coordinating this.

Rob

Eyrie
05-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey Rob,

Sure thing pal, you're down for 1 campsite.

Synthia/Eyrie

AlanH
06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Got the OK this morning...don't need a campsite, though! Just tell me where to meet y'all.