PDA

View Full Version : Shipping your boat

El EsteII
01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Anyone found anything out about shipping their boat back from Hawaii? I Have, here is what I have
If you have your own trailer it is not very expensive. If you are shipping back a small boat like a Moore 24 it is going to run about $3600 to San Diego using Pasha then you will have to either truck it back up or sail your boat from San Diego. If you need a trailer or need to ship a trailer over for your boat you can get it shipped over for free. This is just a rough estimate. Pasha and Matson have not set prices for the Race as of yet. I did contact a company "loadaboat, LLC" that has 53' trailers to ship boats back on so if you have a couple of small boats they should fit on one of the big tailers and you can split the cost of the tailer and the trucking. They also have contacts in Hawaii to move the trailers to and from the port... It will make it easy to just call one person and be done.. Here is their web site. loadaboat.com. You can also look at 360boattransport.com Also 360boating.com They have some good info on Marinas ect. Just type in Hawaii for the state and off to the left put in Marina... Here you can get phone numbers and stuff like that... Check it out I did..

Velocious
01-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Don't believe the shipping quotes (at least from Matson). When I shipped CookieJar back in 04, I was quoted 3 different prices from 3 different people on this end and the final price was given by the measurer in Hawaii (I was quote 3900, 4200, 4500 and the actual retail price was..........$4900). I had friends in the Pac Cup that year with an Express 27 who were charged $1000 less than I was charged for the Moore 24. I had a friend with a 26 footer who was charged $1500 more than the I was. As far as I could tell, it was truly a random process. My 2 cents, George

El EsteII
01-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Here is what I found, I shipped two boats back in Dec 06 a 40' Hunter and a 19 ' Searray.. Loadaboat gave the the exact price for both. This included everything with the exception of any yard fees. Lift fees ect. Hope this helps out..:)

Eric Thomas
01-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a request into Loadaboat right now and will let you know what they come back with... They picked up on the dates and details and wrote back with a few more questions and asked if I was with the "SSS group"

Eric with an O30

Loadaboat
01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Here is what Loadaboat can offer to all the racers.
We have lots of trailers for this race since we are also doing the Pac Cup we will be in Hawaii (Oahu) to assist in loading your boat. We have found that this helps to save yard expenses for the boat owners. Also we can get your trailer shipped for free from San Diego as long as you are going to ship back with us. If you need to have your trailer taken to San Diego we can assist you with that too. If you want to save money and move it yourself that is fine too. When your trailer gets to Hawaii (Oahu) then we can get the trailer to the yard and back. You don't need to find some one to do this we will do it for you. So really all you need to do is prep your boat, or you can make arrangements with yard to have them do it. Ala Wai Marina and Keehi charge around $10 bucks a foot to haul out. Phoenician is around $12. To pull the mast is around $400.
We have 53' trailers and can fit a couple of small boats on one, so if the smaller boats want to go in and split the trailer you will get a better price.
Our quotes are up front and they do not change, as long as your specs are right. If they change then your quote could change too. So please be as close as you can on the specs.
When we book a boat to go on a certain voyage with Pasha, it has always gone. Pasha sails twice a week to Oahu and they come back to San Diego.
Pasha is a very professional company that strives for and achieves the very best service. We can ship with anyone that you would like but we recommend Pasha.
I will attach sample quote for an 30 Olsen Shipped from Oahu to San Diego on its own trailer. Assuming that the trailer has been dropped in San Diego by its owner.
For this boat with the Dems of the following
30'L X 9'6" B X 12'6" H 40' Mast shipped on its own trailer.
Ocean Rate from Oahu is $4000
If this boat is coming from Kauai the price is not different, but to drop the trailer and to take the boat back to the Pier will be the actual cost that we pay. I have not talked to anyone about moving boats there so I don't know what the price is yet.
If you want a free quote you can email me at larry@loadaboat.com or go to our website. laodaboat.com Also here are some contact info for Hawaii.
Marine Yard Numbers contact
Keehi 808-845-6465 Frank
Phoenician 808-682-1983 John
Ala Wai 808-946-4213 Charlie

For slips in Hawaii

Ala wai State Harbor
808-973-9727

Waikiki Yacht club
808-955-4405

Hope this helps out..

BobJ
01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I have a request for quote in as well, without trailer and coming back to Alameda.

Bob J.

Loadaboat
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Bob got your email. I will get your quote ASAP... Please give me a call when you get a chance. I am not sure if Kauai has a lift for your boat. I will check on this and post some info.

cr1
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Some more info on Loadaboat...
I spoke to Larry and he gave me a good quote with the dates I want. There are a couple of things... 1. I can share a trailer with someone and split the cost if that other person doesn't have a trailer. The trailer is 53' and my boat is 26.6' We can fit a 27 footer on the same trailer. I want my boat shipped back to Los Angeles or San Diego. If the other boat is getting shipped to San Francisco, that will still work OK. They'll drop my boat off on the way. 2. Of the three marinas, Ala Wai seems to be the best. But if you have 8 foot draft you'll have to go into the marina by Ko'olina (sp?). Also, if shipping via Pasha and loadaboat, we need to notify the marina to set up a haulout day because of the busy shipping due to the Pacific Cup. I don't want to put the quote up on here but if you want more info or the quote, fell free to e-mail me at captainrich1@sbcglobal.net . FYI, I'm still trying to make it OK to ship back but I still may have to sail due to budget.
Thanks,
Rich

BobJ
01-22-2008, 06:22 PM
My 30 footer would need to share a trailer with a Mini. Any volunteers?

Ryan?

Loadaboat
01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok Here is what I have out about Kauai.. Unless you are going to float aboard, it may not be very cheap to load a boat. I asked around and from what I am getting there is no travel lift there so you would need to hire a crane to haul your boat.

Loadaboat
01-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Bob please call me 619-792-5200.. For some reason your emails are getting returned to me... Do you have another email address that I can use? Your Yahoo account keeps getting returned.

BobJ
02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I talked to Larry at Load-a-Boat this morning. As a sailboat owner himself, Larry continues to be enthusiastic about working with the skippers in our fleet.

He did say that with our boats plus 80 boats in the Pacific Cup fleet, things will get booked up quickly as we get closer to Summer. He encourages us to make our plans and get things nailed down with him as soon as possible.

Based on my own negotiations with Larry, I can assure you that he will do everything he can to accomodate your needs at the best possible price. He really wants to get established with us.

AlanH
03-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Larry was very communicative and helpful. Unfortunately, even at the best price he can do for me, and it's a good one, it doesn't make economic sense for me to spend something like five bills to get a SC 27 back to California and up to the San Francisco Bay Area, so I will be selling her or donating her over there.