PDA

View Full Version : Solo Tahiti 2013?

BobJ
09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Any interest in a solo Tahiti race?

Follow the LA-Tahiti Race setup to some extent (see 2008 at TPYC) except start somewhere near here (low profile), reduce the minimum LOA from 33' to 30', maybe only SHTP vets initially but not many other rules.

2013?

E-mail if interested.

Phil MacFarlane
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Reduce minimum length to 21.5 feet and I'm interested.

BobJ
09-26-2010, 08:39 PM
TPYC also has a maximum rating of 114. Maybe do that instead of a minimum length and WAFI would be in. It's still a shorter race than the TransAt, right?

Phil MacFarlane
09-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Sounds good to me Bob. Can't wait.

koh samia
09-27-2010, 08:05 AM
It's a big longer than the second leg of the transat (3700 vs 3100 miles), but I think that could be lots of fun... if we manage to find a place to store all the water!

What's wrong with a LA start? ;-)

SHTP in 2012 and Tahiti in 2013? I'd love to be there!

BobJ
09-27-2010, 08:30 AM
That's a good start - two Mini protos and a kick-ass J Boat. How about the arch enemies?

Haulback will be retired by then and if I remember right, he missed seeing Tahiti on his circumnavigation.

re LA start - It's kinda been done, ya know?

re water, stacking might be permitted.

Critter
09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Remember Alan tried to set up something like this about 10 years ago. I think he got one entry before he pulled the plug. I'd like to hear his take.

BobJ
09-27-2010, 10:32 AM
CrossPac was SF to O'ahu, then on to Australia with the thought of tying into the Melbourne-Osaka Race. It was 2003 and they got three entries (all DH I think).

If a Tahiti race started early enough (early June?) with a rating limit and say, a 30-day finish deadline, and don't dally too long in Tahiti - boats could be back up to O'ahu before cyclone season starts. Then ship or sail home.

P.S. I know Haulback rates a bit higher than 114. I just figure that when Jim finishes the bendy triple-spreader rig, big roach main, sprit and 120 s/m a-sail setup, he'll be down around there. It is a reach, after all.

AlanH
09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Bob has it right. CrossPac was to be SF to Hawaii, then Hawaii to Fiji or Samoa, then to Australia. Near the end I dropped the Fiji/Samoa thing. It was to be three, 2,000 mile legs, roughly. It got you in Australia a couple of months before the Melbourne-Osaka so you could do that race as well. Nobody was much interested. I had three boats "interested" one of which was an absolute asshat of an Aussie who turned out to be all money and talk but no action. The other two entries were very competent, but obviously....

Matson serves Tahiti, so shipping boats back from there is quite possible.

Don't bother looking outside the West Coast of the USA and Canada for participants, there won't be any. Nobody outside this fringe community of bug-liters will give a rip so it will have to be an SSS event, or "Bob's Yacht Club". However, if 8-10 people sign up to to it, you might have something. I mean, in the end what you need for a race is boats that will sail from point A to Point B, right? Everything else is extra...the hotels, the belt buckles, the trophies, the big dinner, etc. etc. You don't HAVE TO HAVE any of that, especially the first time out of the blocks. Of course there will be people who think that if there's not a massive web site and radio tracking and naked dancing girls (or boys, if Synthia does it) at the other end, then well. *huff*...why would anybody want to do THAT? Also, of course, there will be dozens of people who are "interested" but who will do nothing, as well as a certain contingent of sailors with small boats who mostly talk a lot but never apparently DO anything, (Phil will be an exception) who will be all over the event telling you how it must be done if it's going to be a success.

I'm sure y'all can figure it out, though.

The question in my mind is whether or not it would pull participation away from the SHTP. I think you should seriously think over that point. Seriously.

Phil MacFarlane
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
The question in my mind is whether or not it would pull participation away from the SHTP. I think you should seriously think over that point. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

Well I plan on doing next years long pac as my qualifier for the single handed trans pac. Then doing the trans pac in 2012. So Tahiti in 2013 sounds perfect to me and wouldn’t take away my participation of the SSS races.

This of course is all dependant on me being able to sail that boat I’m buying which is a pretty big if?
I started sailing by buying a wind surfer, but this past weekend was the first time in my life I sailed a dingy (Laser) so we’ll see.
I figure what the hell I’m not getting any younger!

koh samia
09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Koh Samia is a proto in spirit but a 'series' (fiberglass) in construction...

My current plan (after the current repair process) is to sail down to Cabo around thanksgiving (solo and nonstop). That should count as qualifier for 2012 SHTP.

If everything goes well and I manage to get enough time off, I'm planning in sailing her back around Christmas.

After that I hope I can join PSSA races (Bishop rock is definitely in my todo list) and keep sailing/racing to be in shape for 2012 SHTP. I also plan to go back to my Finn starting next season...

So, I think Tahiti 2013 would be a perfect fit.

BobJ
09-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I took a close look at Tahiti/Moorea last night on Google Earth - it's pretty cool. I also discovered that a visit in late June, 2013 might tie in with the Pacific Puddle Jumpers and their activities, possible bond waivers, etc.

But Alan is probably right so I'll leave it here for now. Those finding this thread in the months ahead can send me an e-mail or PM and let me know of your interest. I certainly don't want to dilute interest in the SHTP.

AlanH
09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe it could be every three years?

That would mean that people could do what Phil is aiming for....2011 LongPac, 2012 SHTP, 2013 SHTT..

Hmm....maybe SHTT isn't the best acronym? HA! Single Handed Trans-Tahiti.
Single Handed Tahiti Race? SHTR. Hmmm. I see an "issue" here!

Bob, are you proposing that the SSS integrate a Tahiti race into the Society's schedule, such that the SHTP would become every three years, rather than every other year? Or are you thinking along the lines of "Hey guys, anybody wanna race to Tahiti?" and see what happens?

BobJ
09-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Or are you thinking along the lines of "Hey guys, anybody wanna race to Tahiti?" and see what happens?

More like that, and I was thinking about every four years.

Also, I sometimes wonder about the long-term sailing plans of some of the SHTP vets. I would want it to be very much a race (vs. a Pacific Rally for Cruisers), but perhaps it could be double-handed* (or SH and DH divisions), for those who want to keep going. The Puddle Jump does that but it's totally cruisers, plus I have no desire to hang out in Mexico for a year.

*Does that help with the acronym?

Further edit - Nah, that doesn't really work. The boats carrying grand pianos and billiard tables (so they can "keep going") wouldn't make for a good race.

How about the Solo Tahiti Race - STR? "In the SHTP you race to another time zone, in the STR you race to another hemisphere." It does have a certain ring to it . . .

haulback
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey Bob.....why not just go sailing

if you wait for a crowd to go with, you may 'miss the bus'

solo around, in a year, is a J-92.....what could possibly go wrong??

Doubt I would hang around after '12 SHTP for race to Tahiti the following year - by then I should be whiling away my time someplace in the Indian Ocean.

Jim/Haulback

ronnie simpson
09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I like your idea Bob, and in fact a couple of SHTP vets, myself included, were (and possibly still are) planning a race from Berkeley to Japan at some point. Tahiti is wayyyy high on my list of places to sail to, so if this Tahiti thing becomes a reality, who knows, I might be game. I think it would be fun. I agree with making it a "race" and not a cruise, but if you start adding minimum LOA requirements and rating requirements, it will pull from participation in my opinion.

Some of you are talking about SHTP qualifying cruises next year to qualify for 2012 SHTP. I am tentatively planning on a SHTP qualifier next year from San Francisco to Kauai. (Original, huh?) Anyone interested?

AlanH
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Gaaah. I need a boat. sheesh.

koh samia
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
My $0.02 (and I know I'm not a member...):

Having the SHTP every three years seems too far apart for somebody (like me) who missed it. And also for somebody who does not feel like going to Tahiti but likes racing to Hawaii...

Every four years, and on a LongPac year, seems to provide more oportunities to join the game (more LongPacs), and there are 2 SHTP for skippers to qualify for the next STR.

Something like:

2011 LongPac, 2012-SHTP, 2013 LongPac/STR, 2014 SHTP, 2015 LongPac, 2016 SHTP, 2017 LongPac/STR,...

In any case I've never prepared a race myself, and I have zero clue on how to make it successful... sometimes is just too hard to post a random thought without getting yourself into the class below:

as well as a certain contingent of sailors with small boats who mostly talk a lot but never apparently DO anything, (Phil will be an exception) who will be all over the event telling you how it must be done if it's going to be a success.

Hope I can actually do something one day... ;-)

BobJ
09-29-2010, 12:22 AM
No worries Santi - I think I know who Alan is talking about.

Just to clarify, all this STR stuff is not official SSS business. It's just me kicking some ideas around with the rest of you. Maybe it will happen someday - the key is having enough interested skippers and then we'll get together and figure out the details. Or maybe a couple of skippers will just sail down there like Jim suggests.

Ronnie, the main reason for minimum LOA and rating is so all the boats get there in a reasonable amount of time. I don't envision stationing a race committee down there (skippers would certify their finish times) but we'd still want everyone to arrive within a week or two.

AlanH
09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I wasn't taking a shot at you, Koh....it's just that there's a cerrtain "history" here.

Here's hoping that the new crop of owners will change all that!

koh samia
10-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to point out that having a SHTP every other year is very very attractive to an outsider (not too far away and not too short so we can make it happen).

And we all know what happens when a couple of skippers 'just sail down there'... that could be lots of fun! ;-)

Barky
10-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I also sent an email, but wanted to express my interest in doing a Tahiti race.
Timing it to coincide with a puddle jump or other scheduled Tahiti events would be a big plus...

Velocious
12-29-2010, 12:15 AM
I have been looking for a NEXT big thing. The problem is it sounds like you guys are excluding my boat with the minimum req's. If you would allow a SC27 to play, I could get really excited about this!

BobJ
12-29-2010, 01:15 AM
SC27 rates 141? That's 27 hours longer than a 114-rater over 3,650 nm - not bad. Nine Moore seconds and they're in too . . . 150 has to be the limit though.

Are you serious George?

Find a boat yet Alan?

cafemontaigne
12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm very interested, although 2013 is kind of a long way off to guarantee I'd be able to make it.

If it were 2012 I'd say count me in, but I guess I'll just have to go to Kauai instead...

Adrian
Idefix

Velocious
01-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I really think that is a possibility. Sometimes you just have to say What the F**K and go for it. If it comes to pass I will do my damnedest to get there. G

BobJ
01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
At some point that's what we all did with the SHTP, right?

I sailed yesterday with a friend who's been down there. He's going to get out his log and see what notes he has about the place. I should also get with Banjo Andy (Lat 38), who I'm sure is a wealth of info.

IN THE MEANTIME we need to focus on SHTP 2012. We need a Race Committee chair (or co-Chairs). It needs to be someone (IMO) who's done the race at least once.

As I said at the meeting in October, it is a very rewarding job and you will have as much help as you need. Also, much of the groundwork is already in place. As an inducement of sorts, if we can have a SHTP Race Chair (or co-Chairs) in place by the awards meeting for the Corinthian race, I'll take the seminar part off your hands (if you want me to). That's a big chunk of it.

PM or email me or Max if you want more information or are willing to throw your hat in the ring.

Please step up if you can - that's how stuff gets done around here.

Samuel Burns
01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
How about a Hawaii to Tahiti race starting from Kaneohe a week after 2012 Pacific Cup? That would pull in SHTP and Pac Cup entries. Check out this race course blog: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-articles/19099-run-through-trades.html

cafemontaigne
01-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I really like your idea, Sam. If I do the next SHTP I'm going to sail on to Tahiti, race or not. Getting the boat to the start line two consecutive years in a row is a lot of work, and from HI you're halfway there already.

Reaching isn't my boat's cup of tea, but it's probably a lot more pleasant than sailing home, watching the thermometer drop every day...

BobJ
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
What do you see as a timeline if you made both voyages in one year? Are you planning to quit your jobs? (A serious question that maybe you can't answer here.)

Looking at weekend currents for the Gate, it appears the next SHTP will start on 6/30/2012. (Pacific Cup starts two weeks after that.) This makes a post-SHTP or post-PacCup return trip from French Polynesia too late to be certain of avoiding the start of the South Pacific storm season.

Another consideration is the Easterly wind direction. Leaving from Hawaii makes it more of a close reach than a broad reach. I believe Haulback concluded he could not sail comfortably to French Polynesia from Hawaii, and had to sail farther SW when he continued on from Hawaii in 2004.

Tahiti itself is not currently developed for smaller boats. The LA-Tahiti Race boats are large, spendy and thus invited to tie up stern-to along the quay adjacent to downtown Papeete. Smaller boats (most of the Pacific Puddle Jump fleet, for example) sail into the Marquesas group approx. 700 miles NE of Tahiti, with Nuku Hiva, Fatu Hiva and Hiva Oa being by far the most popular landfalls. These boats depart from the West Coast, usually Mexico and Central America, so the Marquesas are reached first.

We may want to finish a Solo Tahiti Race at a small boat-friendly destination in the Marquesas group, but the Marquesas are farther East so a voyage from Hawaii would be even more difficult (an even tighter reach, especially near the end of the passage). After the race, some boats may choose to continue their trip by sailing downwind to the Society Islands including Tahiti (perhaps to ship home from Papeete), or to visit picturesque Moorea and Bora Bora, of which you see photos in the travel brochures.

Edited to add: After more time online and looking at charts, another good option would be Uturoa on Raiatea, which is the second largest population center in French Polynesia. It has more small boat facilities (the Moorings charter base is there for example), a boat yard and three small boat marinas. Raiatea is between Tahiti/Moorea and Bora Bora, and much closer to the main port of Papeete than the Marquesas, for those planning to ship boats home.

I believe a STR would need to start in the beginning of June, from the West Coast. Comments?

Phil MacFarlane
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I want to go from San Francisco to Tahiti. I am not interested in Hawaii to Tahiti.

koh samia
01-14-2011, 12:31 AM
SF to Tahiti or Marquesas would also be my preference.

But, of course first I'll have to race to Hawaii in 2012. Actually I hope to start making things happen racing PSSA's Bishop Rock next month...

Phil MacFarlane
01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Santi,
Did you do your sail to Cabo?

koh samia
01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
No...

I had a business trip and spent thanksgiving week out of the country, so I couldn't deliver the boat to Cabo as planned. And I had to travel again during Christmas week so I didn't had time enough to sail south and back...

On the other hand I was in Barcelona (home) for the start of the BWR and that was fantastic. Those boats are sooooo cool!!

Things seem better now, though, so even I don't seem to be able to make any plan, I'll keep pushing. Bishop Rock with the mini in Feb, and ABYC's OCR in March and Pricesa Sofia (Spain) in April with the Finn are my next short term goals...

How're you doing with your mini??

Phil MacFarlane
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
It's still in Texas at you know who's I'm pretty upset about it. I'm going to go get it after the three bridge if the trailer is done or not. Four months for a trailer, give me a break.

koh samia
01-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Oh, I'm sorry... I really feel your pain...

Want to borrow mine? It's the one I brought 714 from Europe, a very good one with mechanical brakes... It has the keel height for a series boat, but it may still have room to bring the supports up. I've it here in SD (it has a CA trafic plate)... we'd need to change the light connector (still using an european one) but I've all the parts for that.

I somehow feel very bad that we all are probably buying trailers for our minis. Do you know how many times I've used mine since the boat got here last december? You guess... zero! And I'm paying about $100/month to store it because I've no place to put it... And the only time that I may use it is to bring her back from Hawaii or Tahiti... ridiculous!

Wondering if we should share trailers to save money... the worse case would be to ship it to Hawaii twice to bring 2 minis back... ;-)

Phil MacFarlane
01-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Hey, thanks very much for that offer. I may take you up on it. We should exchange contact info. I'll pm you with mine.

WAFI will live on it's trailer when she gets one. I plan on keeping her in Alameda where lots of small boats are dry sailed.

BobJ
01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
After more time online and looking at charts, another good option would be Uturoa on Raiatea, which is the second largest population center in French Polynesia. It has more small boat facilities (the Moorings charter base is there for example), a boat yard and three small boat marinas. Raiatea is between Tahiti/Moorea and Bora Bora, and much closer to the main port of Papeete than the Marquesas, for those planning to ship boats home.

Take a stroll around the Moorings Tahiti pages:

http://www.moorings.com/vacation-options/bareboat-yacht-charter/destinations/south-pacific/tahiti-french-polynesia/tahiti

Warning - this will get you juiced about sailing down there and make you want to hang out in Tahiti for awhile.

Critter
01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Warning - this will get you juiced about sailing down there and make you want to hang out in Tahiti for awhile.
I'm holding out for Norway. Or Ireland.

Cover Craft
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Any of you guys who are at all able to consider the Tahiti trip - Make it happen! :DI sailed the TPYC Tahiti race in 1974 (ouch, that's a long time ago!) and it was a great trip even in the smallest boat in the fleet, Witchcraft, the Bill Lee 35', the immediate predecessor to Chutzpah.

Papeete and Moorea were great places to to hang out back then, I suppose it's changed a bit since.

Don't know if I can offer much other than encouragement but I can tell you that was a lot (24 days) of great sailing. Wish I had the time to sail that much.

Tom
Constellation

John Hayward
02-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Heck Tom,

It took me 22 days to get back from HI last time, so 24 to Tahiti is NBD..... Course the time might have had something to do with a notable lack of wind (in both directions for that matter).

John
Dream Chaser