PDA

View Full Version : Spinlock deckvest update notice

jfoster
11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
See http://www.spinlock.co.uk/update for full information.

PRESS INFORMATION
for circulation 20th October 2010

SPINLOCK DECKVEST UPDATE NOTICE

• At the beginning of this year, Spinlock redesigned the inflatable component of the
Deckvest, to eliminate potential defects and increase its long term durability. As a
result, the warranty on each new Deckvest registered has been increased from 2
years to 5 years.

• Spinlock are concerned that some earlier Deckvests may have a defect that could put
an owner at risk. To remove this possibility they have announced their commitment to
recall all previous ISO certified Deckvests and update the component to the 2010
standard.

• Important Action Required:
If you own an ISO Deckvest (with inspection window) you are strongly advised to
enter its serial number at www.spinlock.co.uk/update
Precise instructions will be given if action needs to be taken.

• Every Deckvest that qualifies for the update will be processed by the designated
Deckvest Service Centre, promptly and completely free of charge. It will be returned
to the owner, updated to the latest 2010 standard, with an extended 5 year warranty.

• Deckvest owners are asked to apply for this update without delay and not later than
1st April 2011

• See www.spinlock.co.uk/update for full information.

markm
11-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I had heard that some of these are not USCG approved, is that still the case?
If you are wearing one and get boarded by uscg for inspection, would they even know?

BobJ
11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Spinlocks are still not CG approved as far as I know, so you need to have another CG approved non-Type V PFD aboard to count (non-Type V because a Type V only counts if it's being worn).

That said, I heard one account of such a boarding where in reference to the Spinlock, the CG team leader told an underling "you're right it's not approved, but it's better than our gear" and that was the end of it.

Last, sailboats are rarely subjected to "safety inspections" unless they're doing something to attract the CG's attention, like not wearing PFD's when conditions would appear to warrant them.

PSutchek
11-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Bob ,

Your last comment about sailboats rarely being subjected to safety inspections seems a little suspect ,,

We've been stopped twice for safety inpections entering Raccoon straits after the BYC midwinters... Seems that they will put a cutter at either end and then have a runnabout visiting every boat that enters the straights ....

We recieved a citation once ... for not having the paper registration on board and we were missing a sponge ( to soak up spilled gasoline ) ....

-Paul Sutchek , Cal20 Can o'Whoopass

BobJ
11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
That's good to know. I'm in and out of the Estuary all the time and see the CG ribs coming and going from CG Island. The "pullover" rate is high for smaller powerboats (especially if they're at speed), but I rarely see a sailboat get stopped.

That sponge was pushing it (it's not on the list).

Come to think of it, were you trapping at the time?

Phil MacFarlane
11-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I've been boarded and inspected three times on Sail a Vie. No violations. Three gold copies.

PSutchek
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Nope , wasn't trapping out at the time ... We ( on the Can ... ) believe that these are just training exercises for the NooBs in the CG ... It's all good ,, We are there for their training , and they are there to help us if we need ...

Respect !

-P

Wylieguy
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Richardson Bay is next door to Horseshoe Cove - home of CG Station San Francsico and a fertile training ground for young CG personnel. Yes, they do stop sailboats, and yes the supervising CPO makes sure all the items on the clipboard are checked off correctly. It pays to carry your most recent copy to wave at the orange inflatable. Sometimes it works. -- Pat

BobJ
11-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Have they stopped you guys when you're racing? How do you handle that?

PSutchek
11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope , haven't been stopped yet while racing ,,, usually after dark .... ( shrug ) .... In my own opinion ,,, I handle it by doing what ever they say ,,, they are the ones with guns .... :)

-P

solosailor
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Have they stopped you guys when you're racing? How do you handle that?I would politely say that I am currently racing in an event with a proper Coast Guard permit.

Wylieguy
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
It's not an "official" CG policy, but since they know where and when races are being run, the CG doesn't usually stop boats that are racing for a "Courtesy Inspection." If one should be asked by a CG inflatable during a race, I think responding in a reasonable tone that "I'm racing" should satisfy them, unless they can see an obvious violation - and out-of-date reg. stickers is an obvious one.
Pat Broderick, the YRA guy