PDA

View Full Version : Talk on singlehanding Jan. 24, BVBC - help?

Critter
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Somehow I've agreed to give a talk about singlehanded sailing to members of Sailing Education Adventures, the non-profit school/club based in Sausalito. It's at 7 pm Monday, Jan. 24 at Bay View Boat Club in SF.

Anybody want to join me and make it a tag-team presentation? Or if you have photos I could share, safety tips, equipment lists ... anything that might pique someone's interest.

Naturally I'll talk about the TransPac, but I gather this is a fairly inexperienced group that mostly don't have their own boats. So the focus will be on a few basic techniques, safety equipment, and why we do it - you know, trying to plant the seed. Since this is just before the Three Bridge Fiasco, maybe we can lure a few of them in.

PM me if you're interested in helping, or send me any good photos or interesting docs.

thanks
Max

Critter
01-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Mark of SEA has pointed out to me that they have plenty of experienced sailors in their membership. Sorry for giving any different impression.

Wylieguy
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey Max, I'm a charter member of SEA (and of the Oceanic Society prior to SEA).
Pat Broderick:D

BobJ
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
That's why the Commodore gets paid the big bucks in this organization!

Max, I had to cover for Barbara Euser unexpectedly at a Pacific Sail Expo Seminar. It was a full house and I had no pictures, handouts, etc. but easily consumed the entire time by simply taking people's questions, listing them on the board and then answering them.

It was all the usual stuff (about the SHTP in that case). When do you sleep, autopilots vs. wind vanes, do you ever see anyone else, AIS's, what do you eat, what sails did you use, etc. It was actually kind of fun - in a terrifying sort of way. The people seemed to go away satisfied.

ajgoldman
01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Max, count me in. I'll be in the back drinking a beer, but happy to help you in any way you want.

Cheers!

AJ

Eyrie
01-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Hey Max,

If you wanna cover the "even a girl can do it" aspect, I'm happy to help out. Or else I'll be in the back with AJ, 'cept I'll be drinking rum and smoking pot. It's the BVBC after all...:p

Critter
01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Uh-oh, this is getting serious - they're charging admission!
http://www.sfsailing.org/index.php?option=com_dtregister&Itemid=100126

Eyrie
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Dang. How much are they paying you?
Canvas maker and pro sailor-talk circuit. You truly ARE a renaissance man.

Critter
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Dang. How much are they paying you?
Nothing! Remind me to take a tax deduction next year.

BobJ
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Nothing! Remind me to take a tax deduction next year.

And you can, but only for the out-of-pocket costs expended in your capacity as a designated representative of a 501(c)(3) organization.

The IRS considers your time to be worthless!