PDA

View Full Version : 2012 SH TransPac

haulback
01-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Best of the New Year to all my friends in the SSS - as well as assorted hangers-on like myself.

Good to see Super-mondo Race Chair (Bob J) poke the bear to arouse next round of race commitee for SHTP '12.

Hey, somebody's gotta do it.

Will be starting this coming spring to get my old boat ready for some extended sailing starting the year following....and (Oh what the heck!!) I may as well begin the next cruise with the 2012 running of the solo transpac.....Hanalei Bay, here I come

See you there.

ronnie simpson
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
It would be extremely cool to hang out with you in Hanalei again. Do it!

John Hayward
02-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Ronnie and Jim,

You both planning on the 2012 Transpac???? Me too as it stands now. I will probably do the longpac this year too unless AJ needs my help. Might even spend a couple months in Mexico next winter, just to get in the mood???

I need to get with Max and see about helping with some of the races that I won't be racing in too.

SeeYa,
John Hayward
Dream Chaser

Harrier
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Is there an age limit?

BobJ
02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Just the other day I told AJ to expect many recidivists in 2012 . . .

Of course there's no age limit Ken!

ajgoldman
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Ken, it wouldn't be a SHTP without you! John, great to hear Dream Chaser is going to make the trip once again.

I can't wait for tree time!

Oceanslogic
02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
The mighty Turboed s/v Blue Moon will most likely be a repeat offender in 2012...however this go around we will be participating on a different boat (Non-turboed Wilderness 30) with a different name (s/v Domino) and a bit more waterline :) Tree time is right around the corner!

Adam
s/v Domino
Non-Turboed Wilderness 30 :)
www.oceanslogic.com

cafemontaigne
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
...and a bit more waterline :)

admit it, you really got it because it has a bit more freeboard...

Oceanslogic
02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh yeah... the freeboard, waterline, flared entry, forward facing nav station, galley area, and the "almost" standing headroom....all of it!! Now in preparation for 2012...what were saying about putting lead in my spreaders and carrying extra gallons of water???? :) Cutting my toothbrush in half? I'm not even bringing one! :) This is a non-turboed Wilderness 30 with me at the helm...so you have nothing to worry about Idefix :)

Adam
s/v Domino
Non-Turboed Wilderness 30
www.oceanslogic.com

haulback
02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
go for it, guys. Good on ya'.....

Haulback's entry looks very questionable at this time due to a fully blown-out right knee.

But I will be watching with great interest.

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I jumped over to Jim's "Hair Straight Back" blog to get the details but nothing is there yet. I know he and Janet are motorbiking around India so I have a hunch, but I guess we'll have to get it "from the horse's mouth." Whaaa happened, Haulback?

Jeff Lebesch
02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
OMG I can't believe I am reading this forum and even smiling! Heard a rumor there might be a cruising cat division.

Jeff / Hekla

BobJ
02-19-2011, 08:29 PM
We call it the "CCCT" division - "Cruising Cats Carry Trophies."

How's the new boat Jeff?

Jeff Lebesch
02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
CCCT: could probably find a secure cabin.

The boat should be ready in September, most of the structural work is complete and about to start engine install, etc. The builder is in Chile, so after we cruise Patagonia for a while there are still 80 some degrees of latitude to cross to get back to SF. It is somewhat illogical to leave the tropics early just to do this race, but I guess that is consistent with Buglighter behavior!

Harrier
02-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Good grief, Jim. What's with the knee injury. Are you like the guy in the TV commercial where the doctor says "I'm dropping you from my fantasy team, that's for sure"? I am very sorry to hear this and, of course, would like to avoid it myself! I don't consider running to be a fun sport or good therapy...it's only a last resort form of escape. Like solo sailing?

sleddog
03-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Jim,

Sorry to hear about the knee. Did it myself a while back, but a year later almost good as new. Roller furling is beginning to look a little better.

Altho I'm going over to the dark side, the new kitty won't be a contender in the CCCT division. We'll have to leave that to Jeff.

Best to All,
~sleddog

BobJ
03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
"Without going into too much detail, we got clipped by a truck while in India..... sharp, blind curve... truck on our side of the road... ditch too steep to ride into safely... tried to squeeze by on edge of road surface... almost made it - just struck back portion of the truck... knee and lower leg impacted truck. So there I am, writhing around on the side of the road - fortunately Janet was relatively unscathed and was able to take control of the situation, both on-site and as events unfolded later on.

Ended up getting a ride in the back of a truck (no springs, apparently) to the next small town that had a government clinic. Not a pretty sight... so after a while there, someone arranged for a private vehicle to drive us to a real hospital in Bangalore, a city of 7 million people about 200 kilometres away.

Ended up that the top of the tibia where it forms the bottom part of the knee joint was pretty banged-up, with a part of it sort of floating around. Also a broken heel and big toe. We spent 6 days in the hospital there - it was a specialty orthopedic hospital, but let me just say that standards there are quite a bit different than here. They operated on the knee and drilled in a few screws, then put on a full leg cast and we were out of there.

Once I got back to Canada I immediately went to the hospital here for x-rays and CT scans - they had to operate again to re-do the 'fix' done in India. So I now have a plate and a bunch of screws/pins in the leg and am a few weeks into recovery from the second operation. I can't put weight on the leg yet, but should be able to in a few more weeks... I hope!!

I am hoping to be able to start sailing again, and go back to work, by June sometime... but who knows how well everything is going to heal up and start moving again... we will see!! So, all this pretty much throws plans of the 2012 SHTP out the window. But that's the way she goes, I guess. One door closes and another opens...

To add insult to injury, I still have a buddy checking up on the boat for me, because with only one leg working I can't even step up to the deck from the dock.

Hope all goes well with you and everyone in the SSS. Give my regards to all, and if you want to copy this to the forum, feel free."

ronnie simpson
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
so sorry to hear this. i know how bad the traffic can be in India. especially when on two-wheels. kind regards and best of luck on your recovery, Jim.

haulback
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks Ronnie, Ken and Skip.......I'm sure everything is going to work out just fine one way or another.

Still planning on taking off and doing some long-distance cruising again - just that it looks like I won't be using the '12 race as the first leg........ No big deal. Anyway, I already did that in '04, so I guess it's time for something different this time around, it would appear.

Besides, I'm going to put refrigeration and a watermaker on the boat for the next cruise, and the extra weight might just give Ken a leg up on me..

Bye for now....Jim/Haulback

cafemontaigne
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Man, that's a real bummer. I was looking forward to doing this race with you. I wish you the quickest possible recovery.

Got a bike myself a couple months ago and promptly crashed it... But I got off lucky with a couple bruises and a crack in my elbow. Sounds like you had a really close call there.

Adrian

John Hayward
03-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Jim,

Just catching up and saw the post about your accident. Very glad you're OK (sorta) and very sorry you won't be making the trip with us in 2012. With the extra weight you're adding I might have stood a chance against you (yeah right). You will enjoy the refrigeration, I know I do. Much more civilized, not at all like camping out. The water maker will be nice too in much of the world. With all the new power draws, you will have to add a genset. Then if you're going to do that you might as well do like Ruben and just get a 45 footer....... Smile.......

Get well soon my friend.

John
Dream Chaser

MarcoSolo
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Jim/Haulback - Mark here, net slut, ex-Pegasus/Hilo aught 5 - sorry to read about you getting banged up and hope you heal quickly. India - cool! I rode a motorcycle in Saudi Arabia for a year - a BSA single - and you have to be a little fatalistic, which probably goes without saying here.

To the other good folks, I'm brand new on your site but have some extended time offshore alone and am thinking about the 2012 TransPac. Could someone direct me to the most current application form (2010?), experience requirements, rules, equipment requirements, etc., so I can start doing some figuring and planning?

Thanks,
Mark

BobJ
03-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Mark, and welcome!

AJ Goldman, the newly-installed Race Chairman for the 2012 SH TransPac, is currently out of town and hasn't (to my knowledge) started on the rules update. However here's the main document from 2010's race:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2010/pdf/2010%20Race%20Rules%20and%20Conditions.pdf

Changes are likely to be minor since we did a major rewrite last time (but you never know). If I was revising it again I'd probably take out the rigging inspection, require either a strobe or masthead tricolor and allow all-fiber lifelines. I might put the electrical budget back in. This is based on feedback I received after co-chairing the 2010 race. But any changes will be AJ's call (with input from the SSS Rules Committee).

I suspect we won't see the 2012 RR&C's until after LongPac in July, since AJ is chairing that race too. I'm sure we'll know more after he gets back.

ajgoldman
03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi Mark,

I am currently in Ivalo, Finland, 68.23 degrees north! 300km above the arctic circle. Not much sailing right now, but lots of reindeer and awesome northern lights!

Drop me an email and I'll contact you when I get back.

Hei, hei from Finland!

AJ
agoldman@csus.org

haulback
03-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey there Mark/Pegasus.

Long time, no see

Nice to see you re-surface. If you want to do the next SHTP this is a good time to get started on it. ....and the best place.

What kind of boat are you driving now?? Where are you based out of?? I'm pretty sure you sold Pegasus and left Alaska not too long after we met up in Hilo in '06 - then moved on to other stuff for a while, but must admit I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

My email is haulback (at) hotmail.com. Drop me a line and if you need any coaching from the sidelines I'd be glad to lead you astray.

Catch ya' later

Jim/Haulback

MarcoSolo
03-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks all for the welcomes and the information!

Jim, I"m driving a tractor right now or will be soon.

I'm still hard aground on a farm in Wisconsin, but I've got the time and I think the wherewithal to be ready for 2012 if I can get my ducks in a row. Most important, my sweet wife has acquiesced. On what I'd like to sail, anything from another Contessa 26 to a Contessa 32-35, an Intrepid 35 or something like the Spencer 35 for sale now in Vancouver, BC - I toured one once and it looked tough and nimble. As much as I loved and felt protected by Pegasus (Westsail 32), I'd like to try something a little friskier the next time.

Thanks again!
Mark

Por Sailor
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Hey Mark: I grew up on a Spencer 35 T'solo they are great seaworthy boats. I live in Victoria and if you want me to have a good look at her I would be happy to. I think now is a great time to buy a boat. You could also consider a Hobie 33 as long as you never sail to weather. Cheers John

Rapscallion
09-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Is there an IRC section in the SHTP? Or is it all PHRF...

solosailor
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
No IRC, just a base PHRF with the Pacific Cup adjustment for the downwind course.