PDA

View Full Version : SHTP 2012- who's doing it?

ronnie simpson
05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
There was a thread like this for 2010. Who's really planning on doing the race, and where are they in their preparations? This thread isn't so much for discussion about the race, just curious as to how many skippers are actively planning on racing to Kauai.

I'll start it off.

Me. I'm definitely planning on the race and am actively preparing.

Who else?

Phil MacFarlane
05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
me if i decide i like Wafi enough.

Harrier
05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Harrier stays pretty much in ready condition...
Can't predict the skipper. That;s a YEAR from now!

dhusselman
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm planning on it..

ronnie simpson
05-31-2011, 11:41 PM
To make it more informative, please list boat type and hailing port.

Chippewa- Albin Cumulus 28- Alameda, CA
WAFI- Prototype Mini- Redwood City, CA
*Harrier- Finn Flyer 31- Los Angeles
xpression- c&c 110- bay area

(change if i got hailing port wrong)

* indicates that you've done the race 11 times or more.

Harrier
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
So when is the start?

BobJ
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
So when is the start?

I worked it out several weeks ago and June 30th looked good. For a Saturday with a mid-day ebb that was the only option unless we wanted to start the same day as Pac Cup, or even later in July.

If it's June 30th, it appeared going back to a Noon start would be good (vs. 1100 last time).

But it's up to AJ . . .

Travieso
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm not going, but even though an ebb for the start is nice (you can always change the start time for that), better might be to have some moon during the nights.

June 4 and July 8 are the full moons during that time. So the end of June start sounds appropriate for that.

Agree that if its overcast it wont matter, but that would be the same as trying to guarantee a stable high a year in advance :)

Wish I was preparing with the rest of you...

dhusselman
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Late June, early July would be perfect...
When will we know?

Dirk

Xpression

ajgoldman
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Hello future 2012 SHTP Skippers

It is my intention to start the race on June 30th, 2012.

Slack is at 10:56am
Max ebb is .7 kts at 1:14pm.

Not a huge ebb, but better than a flood! I do believe we will push back the start to 12noon, with class divisions starting every 10 minutes after.

Much more to follow, but all I can say now is Tree Time!!!!

AJ Goldman
Chair, 2012 SHTP

cafemontaigne
06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I'll be there.

Olson 30/Seattle

cafemontaigne
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Bug Light cocktail
Difficulty: Medium
Preparation Time: 6 months–∞
Cost: $$$$$

Ingredients:
-1 can Bug Light
-1 fresh BugLighter
-1.643 × 10^20 gallons ocean water (chilled)
-1 can whoop-ass (optional)

Preparation:
Open the can of Bug Light and pour into a boat-shaped cocktail shaker of your choice. Add the BugLighter. Pour some of the ocean water into the shaker. The smaller the shaker, the more water you should add. Be sure to leave enough water to float the shaker. Shake vigorously for 2-5 days, then let sit for 1-3 days, stirring occasionally. Finally, shake continuously for 1-2 weeks, while slowly warming the water to 85 degrees. Garnish with tropical fruit.

Serving Notes:
The final product will have a pungent, unpleasant smell, but a sweet and mellow taste. Best served alone, or as accompaniment to freeze-dried meals or fresh-caught mahi mahi.

Tip:
For a slightly sweeter version of this cocktail, add a can of whoop-ass, and shake more vigorously. It helps to have a larger, lighter, and more expensive shaker. This version will be ready to serve a little sooner.

Notes:
When you are done enjoying your Bug Light, save your BugLighter and dry it out in the sun for a few days before putting it back in the fridge. In a few years your BugLighter will be fresh again and ready to make another delicious cocktail. Some BugLighters can be reused this way many, many times.

BobJ
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Outstanding!

The whoop-ass can be hard to source. Subject bartender had plenty though.

Phil MacFarlane
06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Thats Fantastic !

ronnie simpson
06-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear that you'll be out there Adrian! Great recipe!

Por Sailor
06-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey Ronnie: I met you guys last year at Marina Park before the 2010 shtp. I was getting ready to do Pac Cup on my Hobie 33 "Por Favor" and am now prepairing for 2012 shtp. I've met with Adrian on Idefix at Swiftsure in Victoria, sounds like he is going again and i've been in contact with Reed Bernhart Hobie 33 "Bloodhound" who sounds keen to do it. Por Favor is pretty well ready to go anytime. June 30 start sounds good, I should still be able to attend my daughter's grad. Look forward to communicating with you guys. John

ronnie simpson
06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Por Sailor,

I remember exactly who you are. Wow! A Hobie 33 entering the SHTP! That's awesome! I now work at the West Marine Rig shop here in Alameda, and our shop is going to extend some good discounts to SHTP entrants, so if you need anything at all, please let me know and i'll do whatever I can to help. Also, make sure you contact Allan Weaver back here at Marine Village Yacht Harbor. He is a huge fan of the SHTP and always hooks up all of the skippers. Idefix and the General stayed here last time. We are hoping to get 6-10 boats at my marina and have our own "Tree Time" Alameda version.

Really happy to hear that you are going to join the race. With you and Adrian bringing up a strong PNW ULDB contingent, us Bay Area guys better step it up!!!

PM if you need anything,

Ronnie

cafemontaigne
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Excellent, John. I've been in touch with one or two more guys in the Seattle area who are getting their boats ready. It's still early in the game, but we could have a whole flotilla of boats from the Salish Sea...

JimQuanci
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Green Buffalo a Cal 40 is "doing it"
First time "alone" though the boat and skipper already know the way. Last time I was in Hanalei was after the 1986 PacCup... many moons ago... looking forward to getting re-acquainted1

Ragnar
07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure will be there on June 30th. First time for the boat and skipper. Will do a repeat of the Guadalupe Island Race next year also as a shake down.

Probably looking at sailing the boat back also.

Whitall
Slacker

Nicholas
08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Im in....
Kipeki, Swan 46.
Honolulu

Still have a way to go to be ready but I'm working it.
Shipping my boat next week to Point Richmond from Galveston.
I look forward to meeting you all.:D

BobJ
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Kipeki, Swan 46.

We have the carriage of the petit fours sorted.

Actually that SHTP tradition pre-dates me so someone else will have to explain. I just remember it was important and a Swan was involved (Seabird?).

Nicholas
08-04-2011, 02:07 AM
We have the carriage of the petit fours sorted.

Actually that SHTP tradition pre-dates me so someone else will have to explain. I just remember it was important and a Swan was involved (Seabird?).

I'm sure there is a story there somewhere......
Hehehe
Not even certain what they are. I spent most of my time under water on subs and they don't serve them in any of the Chief's clubs I inhabited.

Jen Mooney
08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
You guys can count me in as well. My first go at it so it should be a great adventure!
Looking like a Cal 25 at the moment and we will be sailing and training out of Alameda.

Oceanslogic
08-07-2011, 08:29 AM
A Cal 25 in the 2012 fleet! Awesome! "Tree Time" is less than a year away! Lots to do...lots to do...

Adam
s/v Domino
www.oceanslogic.com

Jen Mooney
08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes a humble Cal 25...got last place all locked up :) Now just need to outfit...starting from scatch. If you guys had to pick between autopilot and windvane which would you take? I'm thinking autopilot but curious on opinions. Maybe a wise person would have both. So much to do!

Jen

cafemontaigne
08-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I would definitely go with an autopilot, whether you have a windvane or not. John on Dream Chaser broke his autopilot and had to go vane-only in the last race, and it sounded like it drove him nuts.

If you go with autopilot-only, then get two or three. I had two all wired up, a third in parts in the only dry part of the boat, and ideas for how to deal with a total electrical failure...

I've never used a windvane, so I won't say don't get one, but I was really happy without one, and I probably won't ever get one.

koh samia
08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I did quite some shorthanded ocean miles on a 34 footer with a Monitor windvane and, if you have enough apparent wind, it's just fantastic. The easiness to set, fix and the lack of any noise makes it, in my opinion, an option to consider, even if slows you down a bit. I think it weights about 52 pounds, but you may recover that weight in batteries, solar panels... and the weight is on the stern, so helps keeping the bow up... :-)

On the other side, the NKE on my mini was a blast... surfing every wave and steering going up the wave and down the wave was really fun just to watch. But, of course, I had plenty of cables around, 2 big batteries and 2 of my Raymaine arms died while sailing. It was always a bit 'painful' to keep going. And that non-stop electric motor noise... sorry it did bother me...

Next step has to be the integration of a modern hydro-generator on a windvane... that will be cool!! ;-)

My $0.02,

Santi

Por Sailor
08-14-2011, 09:03 AM
I've got the older model Raymarine ST 4000+ and found it worked realy well until you got rocking downwind with the kite up even on max gain. It just couldn't get in the groove. I'm assuming some of you guys run the kite on the way to Hawaii and still manage to leave the helm.

Phil MacFarlane
08-14-2011, 10:24 AM
For what it's worth. My first race in 2000 all I had was a Monitor wind vane. No auto pilot. The wind vane really teaches you how to trim sails.

ronnie simpson
08-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Cal 25's are great boats.

I owned one, and was planning on racing it in the 2010 SHTP before I was offered the Mount Gay 30.

I think it is an absolutely great boat to race solo to Hawaii on handicap. It has a good rating, is cheap and well built, and will definitely surf.

The boats have pretty neutral, yet responsive helms. i never hooked up a vane or AP to mine, but I would think it would be well suited to either. i would definitely try to go with both. find a cheap used vane and an ST2000 and rock that.

best of luck in prepping for 2012.

Lucie Mewes
08-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Bug Light cocktail
Difficulty: Medium
Preparation Time: 6 months–∞
Cost: $$$$$

Ingredients:
-1 can Bug Light
-1 fresh BugLighter
-1.643 × 10^20 gallons ocean water (chilled)
-1 can whoop-ass (optional)

Preparation:
Open the can of Bug Light and pour into a boat-shaped cocktail shaker of your choice. Add the BugLighter. Pour some of the ocean water into the shaker. The smaller the shaker, the more water you should add. Be sure to leave enough water to float the shaker. Shake vigorously for 2-5 days, then let sit for 1-3 days, stirring occasionally. Finally, shake continuously for 1-2 weeks, while slowly warming the water to 85 degrees. Garnish with tropical fruit.

Serving Notes:
The final product will have a pungent, unpleasant smell, but a sweet and mellow taste. Best served alone, or as accompaniment to freeze-dried meals or fresh-caught mahi mahi.

Tip:
For a slightly sweeter version of this cocktail, add a can of whoop-ass, and shake more vigorously. It helps to have a larger, lighter, and more expensive shaker. This version will be ready to serve a little sooner.

Notes:
When you are done enjoying your Bug Light, save your BugLighter and dry it out in the sun for a few days before putting it back in the fridge. In a few years your BugLighter will be fresh again and ready to make another delicious cocktail. Some BugLighters can be reused this way many, many times.
Hey! I suspect the SHTP vets all have suitable shakers on hand, Ben's is still rolling around from 2000. Those cocoanut shells ought to work fine too. I saw some at the Dollar store if anyone wants a spare/new one one.

Lucie

Chai D.M.
09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I was planning on doing it on my Ericson 28 + but now on a custom 20 built for the tp .
Ill be doing the 400 mile later this month . If I can tolerate it that ill do the trans pac with it..

Velocious
11-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Well, I bought Cookie Jar back from Jim. I was boatless for 4 months (a record for me). Ron Moore is filling the deck holes, painting, non-skidding and giving CJ an open transom. I plan on doing the qualifier in spring and being on the line heading to Hanalei this summer. So I see Ronnie ended up with US 101 and I have heard rumors of other Moores planning on going. Can we get an OD start????? Could Color Blind or Moore Havoc be coaxed out of retirement? Anyway, I am really anxious to do this and I think the time is right. George

ronnie simpson
11-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Velocious,

Congratulations! I am very excited to sail with and race against you to Hanalei. I know of a Moore owner that is very serious about doing the race. I will try to talk him into it. I know of a couple of others that are currently on the fence. It would be really great to get a Moore OD start. I am currently in Mexico on the baja haha but will be back around Dec. 1 and then it's full-on prep mode for SHTP. I also plan to do my 400 miler in the spring. perhaps we can go out together.

best,

ronnie

Velocious
11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
If we get a few more Moores that need to do the qualifier, we could do a mini longpac :)

talonf4u
11-07-2011, 12:30 AM
No idea if life circumstances will let me sail the race, but I'm going to do the qualifier either way. Let's have a Moore qualifier race this spring!

Got my new toy out for the first time this weekend and it was awesome. Should probably start working on the electrical system and start replacing all the old worn-out lines.... and i think I'm going to want to bring another kite or two along for the big race--know anyone with spares?

ronnie simpson
11-07-2011, 01:30 PM
talon4u- i'll be back in the US and back at work by December 1. If you need any lines, i'd be happy to help you out. i'll make sure to get you hooked up.

velocious and talon4u- *IF* money and time allows, i plan to sail my qualifier from San Fran to Marina del Rey and then do the Guadalupe Island race and then trailer back to San Fran. it's a bit optimistic, but i think it may be in the cards. If not, i'm going to qualify around April. if it all works out, a group thing would be great.

Velocious
11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
So I have a spare spinnaker that I could loan out. I would love to do the coastal course to Marina del Rey with a 100 mile offshore turning mark in April. We'll see how things shape up. George

talonf4u
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Qualifier to Del Rey in April sounds good to me. I was hanging out around Guadelupe Island not too long ago...looked lonely out there. Ronnie, I've got a painfully long hardware list here and once I sell a boat (anyone looking for a 505?) I'll probably end up in your store to spend some serious $$.

ronnie simpson
11-11-2011, 01:46 PM
talon4u,

call my boss Ryan Nelson at West Marine Alameda rig shop. He owns 2 505's and actively races one of them. He is a player in the local fleet and may know of someone who would be interested in your boat, or at the very least may be able to offer you advice on selling the boat, and how much to ask.

best

ronnie

nereida
11-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Ronnie/Ken/Bob et al!! Good to see you're planning it again, Ronnie... and as for Ken - "Good on yah!" Can't keep a good man down...!

Can I come up from SE/Tahiti across Finish line, if timing works out...? I'll even volunteer to be 'comms' boat for last few finishers again, if needs be...anything to help! Seriously, I might be somewhere near-ish - so I could be watching and/or listening out for you all. Not sure if I can make SF for the start :confused: (sound familiar...?) - as Ken says... it's still a long time away... but crossing the Finish might be easier!

Good luck to you all with your prepping...

peter00
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
From Vancouver BC, I've done the qualifier and sent the check so it looks like I'm in. 50' S&S aluminum sloop from Palmer Johnson. Early IOR boat pretty much completely set up for cruising. After the race will probably turn left and have a look at the South Pac. Made the trip to and from Hawaii a few times but never alone.

Jen Mooney
12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Woo Hoo!

I guess there will be two of us out there. Just got back to snowy Alberta after spending a week in the beautiful Alameda area. Really enjoyed seeing everyone and finally got a chance to get Little Bo Peep out on the water. So much left to do before next June but things are coming together.
Counting the days until my next visit! See you guys in January.
Jen