PDA

View Full Version : Insurance For SSS

PLowther
06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Please excuse if this sounds more like spam, (I ran this by Commodore Crittenden before putting this out here on the forum), but I am wondering if there is any interest in competitively priced insurance for single/short-handed sailors? After looking for coverage for the Pacific Cup, i found that if any could be found it was VERY expensive. One thing has led to another and one of my contacts is interested in possibly setting something up for you guys.

In order to do this, I'll need a bit of information. So if you're interested please send the following:
1) Type of boat/size/year built

2) Who the current insurance carrier is

3) Premium paid

4) Idea of any typical losses

No obligation on anyone's part, I'm just gathering information to see if this is feasible. If you wish to send me the info directly I can be reached at plowther@northstar-ins.com.

Cheers!
Pat

Por Sailor
10-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey Pat: I have a Hobie 33 an am insured through Hub. I paid $1800 for the year I sailed Pac Cup $500 was for shipping the boat home only. It was less for racing to Hawaii. I think 250 or so. I raced around Van Isle this year an my ins cost was 1500 for the year for a replacement cost of 45,000. I hav'nt got a quote from Hub yet about the SHTP. Cheers Joihn

ronnie simpson
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
i know that on a couple of boats that i have raced on, it specifically did not cover singlehanding. ie- 2 or more persons onboard at all times, per the policy. did your insurance policies have any such clause?

pogen
10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Do a lot of people do the SHTP without insurance? I'm pretty sure mine excludes anything 100 nm offshore or something.

For crewed races, there is also the issue of personal injury liability, I guess you can get people to sign waivers but courts sometimes ignore them. So I would imagine that Skippers should carry offshore insurance that protects them from lawsuits if a crew is hurt or killed or thrown overboard for being a Jonah.

Phil MacFarlane
10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I have never been able to get insurance for the race. I was told by other racers who’s names I won’t mention, not to even ask my insurance company about it or they might cancel the policy. I don’t know about that.
I believe if you are military or ex-military you can get insurance, but I’m neither so can’t say for sure.
Barry Rough was sponsored by an insurance company in 2000 and I don’t think even he had insurance.

cafemontaigne
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Back when I was considering a bigger, more expensive boat, and a crewed race to Hawaii, I talked to the insurance broker for my yacht club, who advised me that I would have to have several passages under my belt to get insurance, and singlehanding was uninsurable. I decided to find a boat I could afford to lose, and I'm really glad I did. If I'm ever in a situation where abandoning ship makes sense, it will be an easy decision to make.

For the SHTP it was "don't ask, don't tell", for the same reasons Phil mentions, although I did get my policy changed to cover SF Bay, but I was never under any illusion that I was covered for the race or the return trip.

I never looked into liability and injury insurance for me and my crew for the return trip, but that would be interesting.

ronnie simpson
10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
pogen,

to answer your question, i do not know what percentage of the fleet goes without insurance in the SHTP, but in my personal experiences, i have been unable to find insurance for any singlehanded ocean race that goes far offshore. also, many offshore RACING policies do not include coverage on the mast and standing rigging. doublehanded or crewed racing is a very different story.

BobJ
10-07-2011, 01:57 PM
My policy coverage is coastal (out to 200 miles) with northern and southern boundaries. I've had two companies over 10 years - both asked if I race the boat - but I'm not sure what singlehanding means. Maybe one of you can explain it to me sometime.

SHTP is almost always a "self-insured" proposition.

ronnie simpson
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
the irony in Bob playing dumb with the insurance company.... hahaha

pogen
10-10-2011, 09:34 AM
pogen,

to answer your question, i do not know what percentage of the fleet goes without insurance in the SHTP, but in my personal experiences, i have been unable to find insurance for any singlehanded ocean race that goes far offshore. also, many offshore RACING policies do not include coverage on the mast and standing rigging. doublehanded or crewed racing is a very different story.

Thanks Ronnie. What about keel coverage? ;)

BobJ
10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I think Ronnie's keel problems are over. Looking good on the 101 yesterday...

brianb
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks Ronnie. What about keel coverage? ;)

Just cruel :)