PDA

View Full Version : SHTP - PCR/Downwind ratings

solosailor
07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a rating question from the last SHTP. As I recall we were still using the PCR ratings. I noticed that the Olson 30s here in Norcal rate 96 with a downwind rating of 69. I see that Infidex had a rating of 99 for the 2010 SHTP, HIGHER than a normal O30 in norcal, downwind ratings aside. Anyone know what was different about this O30?

Critter
07-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Check those numbers. The NCPHRF base rating is 99, and most of the boats here carry that rating. The PCRs were higher than the base rating for most of us, but I can imagine that an Olson would come out about the same.

I don't know if Idefix had any configuration changes. Maybe Adrian will check in.

Max

WBChristie
07-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Isn't the 99 rating for the Olson 30 computed for a boat with an outboard as well?
Confusing

cafemontaigne
07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Idefix is totally stock O30 (although not class legal because of reinforcements and a deleted toerail), with class sails. Maybe the 96-rated boats have a penalty pole?

I rate 99 in PHRF-NW as well, and that is the base rating for a standard O30 here also.

The PCR is the same as PHRF. Polar Bear and Foolish Muse were rated 99 too, I believe.

WBChristie
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Can someone tell me why Sarabands PCR was 199? The PHRF for a westsail 32 varies according to different sources.
New England 222
N California 216 or 218 or 225
Thanks for any help

BobJ
08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
The short answer is the SHTP PCR's are derived from the round-the-cans NorCal PHRF ratings, adjusted for the downwind nature of the SHTP.

SHTP uses the traditional, public PCR calculation, which is available on the SHTP web pages and requires knowing a boat's LOA, LWL, displacement and regular PHRF rating, all available on its PHRF certificate. Here's a link to save clicking around:

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/2008_transpac_pcr_calculatorr.xls

Unlike the secret formulae now in use by NorCal PHRF, this calculation was available to everyone long before the race. When a skipper entered, he knew what his rating would be and how it was calculated. This same calculation has been used for the SHTP for years, which also allows the SSS to maintain an apples-to-apples history of SHTP results.

Nonetheless we offered the 2010 skippers the option to collectively use the new, secret PCR's but the vote was unanimous to stay with the historical formula.

If you run Saraband's numbers through the calculator above you will get its PCR. I know Dave did that (for ALL the boats!)

WBChristie
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you Bob. I have done a Google search trying to find the Northern Ca PHRF rating, is there a definitive site for this?

EDIT: Got it

pogen
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Here is the page with links to the Norcal PHRF base rates and ratings for every current boat with a cert.

http://www.yra.org/PHRF/ncphrf_base_rates.html

The conversion from the basic rating to the 'downwind' rating is a secret. Of course, the PHRF base rate determination is pretty much a secret also. The 'P' is supposed to stand for Performance, i.e. observed, on-the-water performance, however I don't think that 99.9% of the base ratings are ever adjusted based on recent race results. Once a base rate is determined it is pretty much set in stone.

BobJ
08-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I thought so too. Then after four YEARS of racing "Ragtime!" I won my division in the SH Farallones. Within a week they were proposing to lower my rating by 6-9 seconds/mile. A competitor claimed I was sailing with a #1 genoa and both kinds of spinnakers, neither of which was true*. If I hadn't read the PHRF meeting minutes I would not have known about the change - I assume I would have just received a new certificate in the mail.

I think we have a better PHRF committee than most regions but they still have to follow their own rules regarding proper notice, etc.

*I do race with a #1 now but my rating was adjusted for it.

pogen
08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Well after your LongPac win you are going to get hit 40 sec/nm! :D

BobJ
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
After nine years of racing with SSS this is my first overall win, and most of the fleet had to drop out for it to happen!

(I know you're kidding but just to clear the air . . .)