PDA

View Full Version : Half Moon Bay Race

Critter
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
As usual, Half Moon Bay YC will be serving a barbecue dinner for SSS sailors and guests after our race Aug. 6. The menu is:

(choice of entree) Steak, chicken or Portobello mushroom (for the vegematics)
Baked potato
Corn on the cob
Salad
Dessert

This year you need to reserve your own dinners directly. The cost is $15 if you reserve by Tuesday Aug. 2, $20 thereafter.

Contact Cynthia Ramseyer, HMBYC Staff Commodore with your number of dinners and choice of entree at:
2blackcats (at) comcast.net
or 415-519-1915
Don't delay!

pogen
07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I've confirmed with my crew and we are looking forward to the race! I guess race day will be an excellent chance to get in that DH spin handling session I've been trying to schedule for so long.

See you all there!

David
Olson 34 Temerity

pogen
08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
For a bit of adventure, we are planning on anchoring out and rowing our dinghy to shore. I assume the HMB YC docks are functional? Will anyone else be anchoring out?

Cheers,

David
Olson 34 Temerity

BobJ
08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
To what did my wondering eyes appear
But a motorized ferry hauling sailors and beer!
(Sorry)

HMBYC's docks are in shallow water - they tie the Cal 20's and C-15's to them - but the ferry is upgraded and working.

We anchored out there on the way back from Spin Cup, then took a slip in the harbor after the OYRA race. It's a longish walk around to the yacht club from the harbor but I'll probably do that again so I don't have to impose on you guys for a lift.

Philpott
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Dura Mater loves shallow water, and she plays well with other Cal 20s. Do you think I might be able to tie up to the yacht club dock? I'll be so late coming in ...

BobJ
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I'd contact Cynthia (see Max's first post above) and ask. They're quite an accomodating bunch down there.

The dock is the shorter one in John Foster's satellite photo, right in front of the club.

Travieso
08-03-2011, 02:50 PM
In the past it has been first come first serve, though the shallow depth limits the boats that can actually use it. I think they have a fleet of Cal20s on it.

BobJ
08-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Note to the "Ragtime!" race file:

1) If you think you fouled someone but didn't actually hear the word "protest," just ASK the other skipper before doing turns.

2) The other skipper holding up two fingers does NOT mean "Do two turns buddy."

3) Doing a 720 in ocean chop, with a 155 up, single-handed, when your autopilot freezes in the middle of the second turn, and you didn't need to do it anyway, REALLY sucks . . .

4) Broadcasting all of this to the fleet on the VHF may cause it to go into SSS folklore (I hope not!)

bobwalden
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey, that was a fun race. It would'a been funner with sun and more downwind but you can't have them all.

Thanks to the SSS race committee and HMB club for putting on a great weekend for us.

BTW, does anyone know how to upload tracks to the jibeset thingie?

peace, out
bw
Cal 39-2 "Sea Star"

pogen
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Well, our trim was pretty out for the first 1/3, and we didn't peel to the #1 until way late (made a HUGE difference), but we did OK, and I had a great time sailing with my kid and socializing after.

Never set the spin, angles all wrong till the last mile or less.

Had too much to drink before dinner, so didn't join the afterparty -- next time, maybe.

Travieso
08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Well, our trim was pretty out for the first 1/3, and we didn't peel to the #1 until way late (made a HUGE difference), but we did OK, and I had a great time sailing with my kid and socializing after.

Never set the spin, angles all wrong till the last mile or less.

Had too much to drink before dinner, so didn't join the afterparty -- next time, maybe.

You made us all have too much to drink before dinner. Over-proof rum, best left for college kids :)

Good times..

Philpott
08-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you, Pat, for being there at Land's End and again @ Fort Funston. You sounded like Voice of America to me. That big swell coming from two different directions just off Point Bonita? Very exciting. Dura Mater said, "Wha?" My crew had sailed once before - with me to Sam's and back to Berkeley. What a good sport! To the sailors who encouraged me to do this "fun race, really - just an easy run down and back": I know where you live. I would never have done this if not surrounded by so many supportive and knowledgable sailors. Thank you, SSS.

abbarr
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Always enjoy this party. More so than the OYRA version. This was my wife's first double handed ocean race and it was a wee bit hard on her tummy. She only said yes because it was my birthday. I had a blast. That said, I'd rather loose by an hour than 19 seconds, as one can't help thinking about all the places you could have made up that 18s.

Thank you race committee.

Alan and Kate
Voyager

abbarr
08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
You're a good sport, Bob. Kate and I were joking after hearing your initial hail that you were calling him to get your birdie back :)

abbarr
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
We have five boats with tracks uploaded. Let's have some more.

Alan

BobJ
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
You're a good sport, Bob. Kate and I were joking after hearing your initial hail that you were calling him to get your birdie back :)

Ha - that was the most expensive birdie ever! When I finally pulled the mast to replace it (plus the VHF antenna and tricolor), that led to a strip, repair and repaint of the entire rig, then wouldn't it be nice if the new deck nonskid matched the fresh "Greystone" Awlgripped spars? Then let's get the damp core replaced before we do the new nonskid (= all deck hardware was removed). Before you know it the topsides got new LPU too, and on it went. Result was a TOTAL refit in 2010.

All for a wind birdie that landed in your cockpit during the 2009 3BF!

Philpott
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
This is a formal petition to the SSS for a later time limit to Half Moon Bay next year. Dura Mater just needed a bit more time and she could have coasted gracefully past the finish buoy. DNF after all that: geesh!

jfoster
08-09-2011, 04:51 PM
SNIP

BTW, does anyone know how to upload tracks to the jibeset thingie?

peace, out
bw
Cal 39-2 "Sea Star"

San Francisco Bay Yacht Racing Information

Race Replay
To share results, standings and tracks with others, give them this URL:

http://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T001430755

Include Marks in "Maps" and "Earth" displays
High resolution tracks - approximately 12 samples per minute. Normal resolution is approximately 2 samples per minute

Step 1
Check the Boats in the list below that you would like to include in your Race Replay. Maximun of 10 boats
Step 2
Display Options:
Step 2A
Select "Maps Display" to display the tracks using Google Maps to compare boat tracks
Step 2B
Select "Earth Display" to replay the Race using Google Earth. Required that the Browser Google Earth plugin be installed on your computer - Firefox 4 should not be used

Notes:
Tracks marked with ** do not contain a time base. They contain where the boat went but not when it was at each point.
They will be shown only when they are in the race area defined by the track with time bases
They will be shown during Race Replay in Google Earth but will not be included in the actual replay
Race Replay using high resolution tracks will increase the file sizes by a factor of approximately five
To Replay a race, your browser must accept cookies from www.jibeset.net, have Javascript enabled and have the Google Earth plugin installed

Boats with Race Tracks
Race #1

FireFly 174
Thumper 7762 Voyager 38345
Sea Star 38022
Flip, Flop N Fly 69036

Powered by Jibeset Associates

Critter
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Jackie, your input is welcome. I would guess that the early cutoff was originally put in place so that people could put their boats away and get their finish sheets to the RC in reasonable time, such that the results could be calculated and announced shortly after dinner.

A couple of years ago, to improve the odds of finishing, we changed the start time from 10:00 to 9:30, because we had two races in about four years when NOBODY finished!

Here's a crazy idea for next year: Everyone takes his time at Colorado Reef buoy, and again (if he makes it by 6) at buoy #3. Every boat that finishes at #3 is scored ahead of the boats that don't, but those that get to Colorado Reef are still counted as finishers. They can crank up the motor to get to the party, without blowing their whole race.

Anybody else have opinions/perspectives/proposals on the time limit?

Max

BobJ
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
My understanding is the HMB race was added to the SSS schedule several years after the other races and was always treated less formally - take your own times, no awards, etc. I like the "flavor" of the race that way, but...

It's a long race and takes some extra cost and commitment. It also affects the season results as much as any other SSS race. Maybe it's time to extend the deadline an hour (or more), have the R/C take finish times (like OYRA does*) at least until 1900, and score the race like the others. Then have regular awards later.

While it's nice to be able to tell everyone how they did after dinner, it invites confusion and possible errors to self-report the finish times and try to crunch the numbers so quickly. We're also getting a lot more boats than we used to.

I'd consider passing out the hats, new car keys or whatever we all get after dinner, and do the rest later. Way less pressure for the R/C too (I've done that job in HMB - not fun).

* I think the OYRA R/C was out on the breakwater. Alternatively the FTF boat could turn around and take times - a friendly "penalty" for doing so well!

Philpott
08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I like the way you think, Commodore! Thanks

Travieso
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
With my RC hat on, I really enjoyed the format of the HMB race. I didn't need to recruit a large team. I got to sit comfortably with a drink at the club waiting for the racers. I got to meet a lot of skippers that I hadn't met before. I prefer this to bobbing on a boat for 5 hours :)

Yes there were a few errors but most were corrected that same night, mostly people with mistakes converting to 24h time. But you can be prepared to just enter the finish times and let the spreadsheet do the work.

The option of shortening course at CR I think has some merits. My only concerns is the confusion that it might introduce into the race instructions.

From a racing perspective, yes, I do prefer someone else taking my time, but this really is not that onerous.

Oh, and I would love two hats :)

Culebra
08-10-2011, 12:27 AM
I can't remember a more fun race down to HMB. Let's see...

I almost missed the start for lack of fuel as I left the marina in the a.m. (thankfully I had a jug of diesel handy). The sails were only just barely set, but I crossed the start, sort of on time.... whew.

Green water came rushing over the bow, over me, and into the cockpit as I rounded Seal Rocks. That was also about the time the boat launched off a square wave and sent me bodily onto the sole of the cockpit.

Boats actually began to recede behind me as the breeze lifted us along the shore past Pacifica, and nearly onto San Pedro Rocks. Gotta love that.

A certain Reef Buoy off Pt. Montara seemed to repel the boat like two north poles of a magnet pressed together. What a set--I guess the current flopped about there.

We did get the spin up, for all of a few minutes at the finish... that was cool, flanked by Vitesse Too and Racer X like hounds on my tail. And the view behind and all around... what a pretty sight to see so many kites flying, floating really, in the light airs.

Yep, there was anticipation, thrill, danger, adventure, and sport. I loved every second. And as if that weren't enough, we converged at an awesome destination, ate a tasty dinner, snagged a cool hat, and found great company... Yep, races don't get much better than that!

Paul/Culebra

bobwalden
08-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Regarding the finish time, I suspect the HMB club folks would really like to get everyone in before dark. And that's a good goal, given that the pillar point area can be nasty in poor visibility and bad weather. So I don't necessarily think extending the limit is a good idea, or at least not much. Maybe 1900?. OYRA has a later limit, but also full crews.

I like Max's idea to take times at CR buoy. would it be when it bears 90m? Just adds one more line to the finish sheet, and could really help in cases where a fleet had no finishers.

Really, we just need to get the weather to cooperate. With what USED to be "typical" conditions for this time of year, this should be a fast race. I recall doing a turn and burn once with Petard and getting back to Sam's in Sausalito by sunset. Did we forget to pay our tribute to the wind gods lately?

bw

abbarr
08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
This is a formal petition to the SSS for a later time limit to Half Moon Bay next year. Dura Mater just needed a bit more time and she could have coasted gracefully past the finish buoy. DNF after all that: geesh!

I and several other racers support this idea.

Alan
Voyager

Wylieguy
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
SSS Folks,

The HMB Race was added so there would be a second ocean race, one in which doublehanders could participate. Back then the SSS handed out "practical" prizes (seat cushions, flashlights, air horns, candle holders, and such) and all the left-overs were the "prizes" for the HMB Race. You won, you picked out something from the grab bag. T on D results were easy to calculate, so results came out pretty fast, even if they were done in base 6 by hand!
Everyone got a "prize" of some sort. I don't think Season Championships were as important then, either. (Don't get me started on that one!)
I'm not in favor of "two finish lines" for the race. If it's shortened, then make Pillar Point #1 sighting to some mark (there are lots of things to look at) at the end of Pillar Point OR a 0º sighting on #1 the Finish Line for everyone. The final mile plus into PP #3 isn't important to the overall scheme of things. I think it was selected because it was the OYRA Finish Mark.
Pat B. "NANCY"

Culebra
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Part of what makes this race so great is the tactical challenge. Terrain effects, variable currents, sea state and wind conditions make it a very demanding course. Will winds or currents be favored near shore or off shore is just one of the tactical choices. It's never a drag race. You have to sail smart. And in this race if you get the tactics wrong (which I've done often enough), you don't just lose a few minutes, you're totally dead and may not finish. You probably end up in the Montara hole.

So you don't finish? Well, to that I say, so what? It's part of the deal. It gives the race character. It's what makes it so great. For me it's what makes it fun. But if I had a PHRF of 240 I might feel differently. Statistically speaking, they could be in the Montara hole even if they make great tactical choices. And on the other hand, we all know there are awesome boats and crews who with their high PHRFs will kick our butts just as often as not, Montara hole or not. So what do you do?

If we add a short course option it has to be done without diminishing the character and appeal of the race. My thought is if you have 2 finishes, then you have to require the racers to choose which course they're going to sail before the start. Long course/short course, pick your poison (not dependent on PHRF). And you score them separately at the party. And you revel in both winners' achievements. But you don't get to opt into the short course because along the way you're falling behind the others.

So I think maybe you could retain the character of the event while also making it more fun for more of the racers. Add a short course option, but require the crew to choose long or short in advance.

Or don't change it at all. Because again, to me anyway, it's the tactical challenge that makes it great.

Paul/Culebra

ajgoldman
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I agree with Paul. I love the HMB race as it is now. I love it because 1) the party at the HMB Yacht Club is a blast! 2) It's ocean sailing 3) the course is not easy, there are many different ways to get to the same spot. On Alchera this year we stayed inshore and we saw 18-20 kts of breeze all the way to the Colorado buoy. In fact, both us and Jamanji (the overall winner) had to put a reef in at some point during the race. It was awesome sailing and Mark made the right call to stay in. I personally have entered the HMB race four times and only finished two on time. That didn't stop me from having a great time at the party and nobody really cared after the third drink :-).

Maybe one tweak we can do is to add the FAD (finished after deadline) component to the race. Right now I believe the SHTP is the only race we give that designation. It gives the skipper a little bit of pride that he/she finished the race, but not in the allotted time (trust me, I have some experience with this). It also gives some difference between the boat that turns around at the gate and the boat that sails all the way down to HMB.

Other than that, keep it a fun, yet challenging race. As Kame Richards always says in his tides and currents talk, "hard is good!"

AJ

bobwalden
08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't think Max's idea for taking time at CR was meant to suggest a second course or anything like that. It's just a provision for shortening the race, if needed. I suspect it would only be used if there were zero finishers at the normal finish line before the time limit. Lots of buoy races have similar provisions.

Critter
08-12-2011, 08:45 AM
To clarify my proposal, the short course wouldn't be something that the racer chooses ahead of time. And I don't want to score two different races! We already score single and doublehanded separately.

The expectation would be that everyone takes a time at Colorado Reef, then keeps racing. We can score long-course finishers and short-course finishers together, simply by ranking all those who finished the whole course above those who didn't.

Or, as Pat suggested, we can just finish the race at buoy 1. Much simpler, but I'm trying to think outside the box.

Max

pogen
08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
To clarify my proposal, the short course wouldn't be something that the racer chooses ahead of time. And I don't want to score two different races! We already score single and doublehanded separately.

The expectation would be that everyone takes a time at Colorado Reef, then keeps racing. We can score long-course finishers and short-course finishers together, simply by ranking all those who finished the whole course above those who didn't.

Or, as Pat suggested, we can just finish the race at buoy 1. Much simpler, but I'm trying to think outside the box.

Max

I have to say I don't care for this -- what if someone is doing great at CR and then flubs the 2nd half of the course? Or is doing mediocre at CR (perhaps because he stood way out) but pulls it off at the finish? I don't think people should get to cherry pick their course. It's the HMB race, not the CR race after all.

Simpler is best -- keep things as the are, and simply extend the time limit if needed. I like the G3 finish also, you feel close enough to Pillar Point harbor that you feel like you have arrived somewhere. Perhaps as Pat suggests use a visual range as the finish rather than a bearing to the mark, but it should be from G3 or G1 to the Harbor entrance light "Fl 5 sec 50 ft HORN", to account for dark or fog.

BobJ
08-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I think AJ's idea is great. FAD = "Finished After Deadline." Late finishers could still turn in their times and see them published, it's easy for the R/C and fair to the timely finishers - what's not to like?

The high-rated boats and/or those who choose to race non-spinnaker know they may not finish in time. That's always been a part of the race.

(By the way, what was the conclusion the last time we had this discussion?)

Critter
08-12-2011, 12:40 PM
what if someone is doing great at CR and then flubs the 2nd half of the course? Or is doing mediocre at CR (perhaps because he stood way out) but pulls it off at the finish? I don't think people should get to cherry pick their course. It's the HMB race, not the CR race after all.
Pogen - But you don't get to cherry pick. If you can get to #3 before 6 pm, you're ranked above anyone who got to CR but not to 3.

You remind me of one problem with my proposal: if you don't pass close to CR, it's hard to get an accurate time there.

On the return cruise Sunday, my crew Dave and I came up with another possible twist: race both directions, but only your best time counts. Too far outside the box?

Philpott
08-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree with everything AJ said and would appreciate the FAD option. Dura Mater and I don't mind sailing through the dark in order to finish a race (ask Maryam @ Berkeley Yacht Club. Bless her heart, she's out there on the deck during the fall Friday night races waiting with her whistle). I don't want special treatment just cause my boat's little, but that DNF category is hard to swallow after sailing all the way down there. Thanks for the cogitations. Regardless of what is decided, I'll keep after it.

Culebra
08-13-2011, 07:43 PM
FAD.... the perfect solution. And change nothing else. I like it.

Paul/Culebra

BobJ
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/PaulHanalei.jpg

BobJ
08-13-2011, 09:21 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/GeneralHanalei.jpg

BobJ
08-13-2011, 09:21 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/MaxHanalei.jpg

Culebra
08-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Cute. And where's yours?

BobJ
08-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Not posting a picture of myself, nope. Besides, I wasn't part of this extinguished group - I was just taking the pictures. Very few good ones in my secret stash but these were some better ones.

The shorthanded group in Seattle often races in light wind and they take their times at strategic marks in case they have to shorten a course. Besides the FAD option, maybe we add a line to the finish time sheet and have everyone take their time at CR too. Then we have that option or can experiment with Max's idea for a year or two.

Culebra
08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Howcome Ken only has the 1 star on his hat? Shouldn't he have 11 of them, or so?

BobJ
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that star counts for more than eleven solo TransPac's. Next time you see him, ask. But let me know first so I can watch his response . . .

bobwalden
08-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I like this idea.

Not posting a picture of myself, nope. Besides, I wasn't part of this extinguished group - I was just taking the pictures. Very few good ones in my secret stash but these were some better ones.

The shorthanded group in Seattle often races in light wind and they take their times at strategic marks in case they have to shorten a course. Besides the FAD option, maybe we add a line to the finish time sheet and have everyone take their time at CR too. Then we have that option or can experiment with Max's idea for a year or two.

Now&Zen
08-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I like the idea of extending the finish time another hour. I was one of the boats that retired this year. Shortly after rounding CR buoy the wind just died. We sat there for an hour with not wind.

I also like the idea of the finished after deadline category. I have entered 4 races this year and just finished one. A little frustrating but just part of dealing with Mother Nature and in combination with a slower boat you know its a possibility.

For anyone interested I posted photos and video from our sail back up from HMB a week after the race. My crew Daren, Leah Pepe and I had a glorious sail back up with dolphins on the approach to the Gate and some great surfing as we passed under the bridge.

https://sites.google.com/site/nowzensailing/hmb-and-return-2011

Tony B

Dazzler
08-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Tony,

Nice blog and story. Those were Harbor Porpoises you saw on your trip back. They've made quite a comeback of late. There's a really good article in a recent issue of Bay Nature about their return:
http://baynature.org/articles/jul-sep-2011/safe-harbor

Tom