PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Northern Century

BobJ
08-27-2011, 09:06 AM
100 miles around the San Juans - start and finish in Anacortes. 23 of the boats are doublehanded including 2010 SHTP Overall Winner "Idefix." Other SHTP vets include John Guzzwell on "Endangered Species" and Dan Newland on "Pegasus XIV."

Go Adrian! and John, and Dan!

http://anacortesyachtclub.org/racing/northern-century/

BobJ
08-27-2011, 09:20 AM
It looks like the flyer through the islands is going to pay off for the three boats who took it. Gutsy.

Update - two more boats have peeled off to go between the islands . . . or not.

(I want to DO this race!)

ronnie simpson
08-27-2011, 10:02 AM
wow that sounds like a pretty fun race. Idefix is doing well. I agree Bob, it takes balls to take a flyer between the islands. hero or zero kinda move. Dan Newland is racing, that's cool. Is he the yacht designer? Newland 38?

BobJ
08-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Yep - Dan is racing his Newland 368 "Pegasus XIV" which he also raced in the 2008 Three Bridge Fiasco.

It's the red boat at about 40% through this video, right after the drop dead gorgeous dark blue boat reaches across your screen:

http://www.norcalsailing.com/TBF.video.html

cafemontaigne
08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
(I want to DO this race!)

Yes, you do. It is a lot of fun. I was WIRED the whole time. There is a fair share of frustration, unexplained wind holes, drifting, nasty currents, occasional anchoring, and boatloads of DNFs. The scenery is gorgeous. The moon- and sunrise over snow-covered Mt. Baker after a night under a milky way streaked by meteorites will stay with me for a long time.

The maze of islands makes it impossible to know your position in the fleet. With the train of running lights that was passing us in the night, I thought for sure we were in the back of the pack, but we kept pushing, didn't fall into any bad holes, and placed 3rd.

Endangered Species and Pegasus XIV are the two prettiest boats I've ever seen. Didn't really get to chat with Dan and John, unfortunately.

ronnie simpson
08-30-2011, 04:58 PM
congrats on a great race, Adrian. i enjoyed watching the race tracker periodically over the weekend.

ronnie

Harrier
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Referring to Dan Newland as the "designer" and previous SHTP contestant doesn't really tell the story. Yes, he did design the boat along with another
previous SHTP contestant (and overall winner in '86, I believe...in an Olsen 30. He also drove the second Newland 37(?) in the '92 SHTP...maybe wrong on the date...I'm in a motel in Hilton Head, SC and am not near my data). Trying to remember his name, but someone will come up with it...SFO area sailor. Oh...Francis Dinsmore...Memory came back. Won the race in "Francis Who?"
But the main point is that Newland, as a "previous SHTP contestant" entered the race THREE times and won overall ALL THREE TIMES! I don't see anyone ever doing that!

BobJ
08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
The historical results show Frank Dinsmore did the race four times, in 1980 with the Islander 28 "Carina," in 1982 (DNF) and 1984 with the Olson 30 "Francis Who?" and in 1992 with a Newland 368 named "Francis Who? II."

In 1982, Dan Newland won with a Wylie 34 "Pegasus." Then in 1986 both Dan and his wife did the race, Dan with the Olson 30 "Francis Who?" and Linda with a Hawkfarm 28 "Predator." Dan won again in 1992 with his present boat, the Newland 368 "Pegasus XIV."

Quite a history between those two.

I need to update those historical results to include the 2010 race.

08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if Frank Dinsmore is still around? I think he's the only one who's done the race with an Islander 28; I've wondered if he'd recommend it.
(I do note that he traded up to an Olson 30 for the next one.)

Bill White
I28 Horizon

BobJ
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm in a motel in Hilton Head, SC and am not near my data...

I should have asked the obvious Ken - is this due to damage from the hurricane?

Regarding the subject of this thread, here's a great write-up about the race:

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?1744-Father-Son-Domination-The-N100

Harrier
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
My brother died last week and his funeral was today with interrment in the National Cemetary in Beaufort, SC. Historically, the cemetary was established in 1863 by Lincoln's order. Beaufort had been captured by the yankees from the sea and they needed a spot to plant a bunch of them, along with 125 confederate troops. That fact spared Beaufort from further damage from Sherman on his later march to Atlanta.

Dinsmore was DNF in the race mentioned because he diverted to Oahu due to damage incurred...I believe it was a broken boom.

Phil MacFarlane
08-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother Ken. Glad they still had room for him at Beaufort.

Harrier
09-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Phil.
A beautiful old cemetary, many trees, etc. Plenty of room...for a while.
He was a sailor too...lots of Chesapeake Bay stuff. I retired from the Army while sailing with him on the first Mass to Bermuda Cruising Race in 1977. Was on my terminal leave. He also sailed with me LA to Hilo in my old wooden Dutch 30 footer. That was actually a fin keel, spade rudder fractional rig...Van de Stadt design built in 1959. Would have made a good entry in SHTP (great PHRF !) but I wore it out in 5 Ensenada Races, a 10,000 mile circuit LA thru French Polynesia and 3 trips to HI. Oh well...a good learning device, in more ways than one.