PDA

View Full Version : Restricted area violations in RSB race

Critter
09-17-2011, 09:48 PM
The provisional results of Saturday's Richmond South Beach race are now visible at Jibeset. Funny, but I see several boats listed as finishers that I either observed inside the prohibited area at the Richmond Long Wharf, or heard over VHF being called out for violating the restriction.

The boats that I observed changed direction sharply trying to exit the area, and I assumed they were retiring from the race; otherwise I would have whipped out my red flag. Yet they still are listed as finishers.

Remember, under SSI 14 you are prohibited from being in the defined Long Wharf area AT ALL. The buoys aren't marks of the course; you can't unwind to clear yourself.

We invite those racers who found themselves inside the restricted zone to contact the Race Committee and retire from the race. Those whom I recognized can expect an email from me. Those who don't retire from the race may want to make other plans for the weekend of our next race, because we sure don't have to accept your entry.

Thanks to those boats who already retired voluntarily.

Commodore Max

BobJ
09-18-2011, 07:13 AM
It was tricky with the light wind and start of the flood.

My observation was that a few boats cleared the first green buoy (G "3"), then had to sail back out to the red buoy (R "2"). If you broke that imaginary line between the two, you were in the restricted area and should retire.

Dazzler
09-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Max,
The problems seems to be that the people who violate the restricted areas:
1. Don't come to Skippers' meeting.
2. Don't read the Standing Sailing Instructions.
3. Don't read this forum.

It seems that in every race (especially the 3BF) there are quite a few boats going through the Richmond Long Wharf (RLW) Restricted area. And on Saturday there were boats that seemed to think they just needed to "unwind." Definitely unclear on the concept.

Maybe some of these people will come to the awards night... A suggestion: Show and explain the RLW restrictions before the awards are given out and let people know as you did above that they need to withdraw if they wish to be welcome back.

We appreciate all you efforts!
Tom

Critter
09-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Good suggestion, Tom. We may have to remake a few trophies, but it'd be worth it.

breezetrees
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I see the Jibeset results page has a race replay feature. Can we upload our GPS tracks or does this have to be done with trackers like the Big Boat Series? The RC could email everyone and invite them to upload their tracks. This would be fun to see for other reasons too. Some people probably don't have a track, and others could fake theirs, but I think there might be value to this anyway.

I'd be willing to help with the track compiling and uploading if needed.

-Mike Holden

Wet Spreaders
09-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Here's a segment of rounding red 2. Everyone in the frame makes it around the buoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1UARdqLLM

I can't make it to the awards (Japan, business). If someone could grab a super-super-small shirt for my little guy, I'd appreciate it. Akula is close by in MV, Gate 10, Q3 - wad it up and with a good arm you could huck it into the cockpit from the street.

See you all on the way to Vallejo.

BobJ
09-20-2011, 09:37 PM
WS, I'll take care of it. My aim with wadded-up shirts isn't good but I have a gate key.

I understand about Lyndon's shirt (an adult Small is the best to hope for unless you special-ordered with Ruben); what's your size?

Wet Spreaders
09-21-2011, 06:23 AM
WS, I'll take care of it. My aim with wadded-up shirts isn't good but I have a gate key.

I understand about Lyndon's shirt (an adult Small is the best to hope for unless you special-ordered with Ruben); what's your size?

They don't offer kid's sizes on the sign-in form, so I picked the smallest small that was there. Caspi is almost big enough to wear those, but I think he prefers to tack them to his bedroom wall anyway, which is what will happen to Lyndo's unless Ruben spotted my note on the order form. I'm an XL.

Thank-you for taking care of us. Living in Los Gatos makes coming to evening meetings in Oakland a challenge anyhow (880 traffic), but there's no chance for this one because of my business travel.