PDA

View Full Version : '08 race entries

haulback
02-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice pic, Al

We've heard the 'bark' , now we've seen the dog.......

Jim/Haulback

Ergo
02-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Jim, is Al the one on the right or left?

Bill Merrick

Alchera
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Speaking of pictures, someone ought to tell Don on Warriors Wish that his boat will go a lot faster if he takes that buoy out of the cockpit...

Or maybe that's his Transpac radar reflector?

- Mark

Warriors Wish
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
If only I could figure out how to get it 13 ft of the water

dogbark
02-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Nice Bill, Gus is the good looking one!

Eyrie
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey there,

Just a quick note to remind all you "prospective" entrants that the start is just under 15 weeks away, and the entry deadline is 5 weeks away. Here's the list of deadline dates:

5/03/08 Deadline for application to enter the race. (10 weeks)

5/24/08 Deadline for full payment of entry fees without penalty. (7 weeks)

5/24/08 Deadline for submission of yacht’s 2008 PHRF certificate. (7 weeks)

5/24/08 Deadline to schedule yacht inspection. (7 weeks)

6/14/08 Deadline for submission of details of the qualifying cruise. (4 weeks)

6/14/08 Deadline for completion of local yacht’s inspection. (4 weeks)

6/21/08 Deadline for receipt of request for partial refund of entry fees. (3 weeks)

6/28/08 Deadline for submission of EPIRB serial number & registration information. (2 weeks)

7/06/08 Deadline for passing of all the yacht’s inspection. (1 week)

I would appreciate a quick note from you to hear how your boat preparations are going and the chances of you getting your entry in for this years race. You can post here or send me an email: synpetroka@earthlink.net

Let me know if you are getting bogged down with your to-do list and perhaps I can find you a "boat nanny" to guide you and give you a boost.

Synthia

AlanH
03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
My Preparations:

Application is in
PHRF Certificate is in
$$$ are paid up
EPIRB certificate is in
waiver is in

Paperwork Remaining: Copy of most recent survey. I've scheduled a survey with Stone, Ramsey and Wedlock for Wednesday April 23rd. I should have the results the next day, or latest by Friday. I'll e-mail a copy to Synthia for her reference, and will also print off a copy for my files and snailmail a copy it to the SSS address that week since the rules say "hard copy".

I'm still up in the air about whether I'm going to use the kite, but that will require more testing, and it's looking like I am not going to have time to get the proposal to the PHRF committee, and back to the SSS by the deadline. I'll still probably take it, since it's the perfect sail to have in the event of a distmasting....God forbid.

General boat Prep.

The solar panels are here, I now have to mount them and install the charge controller. A short discussion I had with Mark Deppe this weekend cleared up a questionable point I had about the charge controller. I have enough panel acreage to (theoretically) power the boat all the way to Hawaii and not ever fire up the little gas generator. I still have to install them.

The little gas generator (claims to put out 50 amps @ 14+ volts, honest) has been overhauled and runs like a champ. It now sits in it's nifty box with enough gas in it to run for something like four hours....more than enough.

The emergency rudder blade is done except for painting it, and I'm working on the bracket and the cassette. Cassette is about 1/3rd done. I might need custom pintles, we'll see. I plan to test it on April 12th out by the Lightbucket.

The electrical system lost power more quickly than I expected it to during the 07 LongPac and the September trip I did. I *strongly* suspected the very old and very rusty 20 amp shore charger, so I yanked that out this weekend and I now have about the simplest possible electrical system for the boat. I've crawled over and inspected every inch of wire in the boat (except inside the mast) and nothing looks chafed or bad. I also pulled out a mess of old cut-off wiring, mostly cut by previous owners, but one from an old LORAN trimmed off by me. Now there's about half as much electrical and co-axial cable running around the boat...much easier to figure out, and I know exactly what everything is and where everything goes.

I need to take one sail (my #3) by a certain sailmaker and have her check it out, though she looked at a couple of months ago and pronounced it OK. I want to get grommets hammered into my #4, though, and buy a big bag of 100 lb. cable ties in case the headfoil craps out. Hmmm...might drop by Fry's on the way home tonight, and check that one off.

I found my old VHF emergency antenna, and it's now on the boat.

I just started this weekend on re-doing the SSB ground plane. There's a 25 foot roll of aluminum flashing sitting in the car that will replace the copper stuff, much of which has corroded to dust. Other than the ground plane, everything else is in place, and hopefully will work. If it doesn't, then I'll scream, throw my hands up in despair, and count on the Iridium phone that I'll rent.

The hatchboard latch system, simple though it is, is in place. I have an extra hatchboard. The first aid kit is ready to go, though it needs new antibiotic cream, and a prescription for a general-use oral antibiotic that I'll get late in June.

I now have three handheld GPS's, all run on AA batteries and two of them have serial connections to a computer if I decide to do that. I'm still on the fence over spending $500 for an AIS unit, though now that I've seen Mark's NASA unit, it's tempting. I think that will wait until all the really vital stuff is done and if there's time I'll spring for it.

I've decided that the current stock SC27 cooler plus 1/4 plywood "framing", which weighs a ton and was the culprit for my disastrous problem with my left ankle last September, has got to go. I took measurements this weekend and will be formulating a step with some storage space built in that will replace it...and no hard edges in bad places. This should go fast, it's just a plywood step with some bracing that will screw into place.

I could write more but you get the idea. I have a "to-do" list with 21 things on it. The cooler replacement project made 22. Some are tiny, like "softwood plug on through-hull" (the boat only has one through-hull). Others are weeks-long projects like "Build emergency rudder". Of those, all the paperwork things are checked off, and (I forget exactly) about 5-6 actual "work" things are checked off. The "biggies" left are the emergency rudder cassette and the SSB ground plane and lowering the mast to put on the masthead strobe. In fact the strobe and an inspection of the rigging and stuff up there, should happen this coming weekend.

Aside from one week in April, which I promised to Joan, and two Highland Games that I'm throwing at, every single weekend between now and the end of June has "Boat" marked on it. Of course, there's a health issue in my family which may take up a lot of time in the upcoming months, but I'm forging ahead anyway. If I decide now that that issue is going to prevent me from sailing, then it's over....I can't do that, so I'm keeping on.

I even purchased new Gill foul weather gear since on this boat I'm gonna live/die by what I'm wearing, a whole lot.

I need to take my SOSpenders lifejacket in to get the "new boat's" name embroidered on the thing. That means I need to rip Wisdom's name off it....a nice mindless evening project.

Eyrie
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
5/03/08 Deadline for application to enter the race.

5/05/08 next TransPac Seminar

If you still have not filed your entry forms and plan on attending the next seminar, I will accept your hand delivered race entry packet (plus one fruity rum drink:D) without penalty that evening.

And speaking of the next seminar, this will be a good one for your support crew to attend as it will address provisioning, getting your boat back home, and what to do in Kauai. Details are posted on the seminar page:
http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/seminar_schedule.htm

Check out the TransPac page for a complete list of current race entrants:
http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/race_entries/racer_photo_bio.html

And coming soon to the web site, a complete list of all the race results since 1978. Thanks to Peter Hogg & Stan Honey for compiling the list and calculating the corrected times.

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
5/03/08 Deadline for application to enter the race.

5/05/08 next TransPac Seminar

If you still have not filed your entry forms and plan on attending the next seminar, I will accept your hand delivered race entry packet (plus one fruity rum drink:D) without penalty that evening.

Out of respect that the next seminar is on Cinco de Mayo, change that fruity rum drink to a 'rita on the rocks no salt.

I'm nothing if I ain't flexible!:D

Synthia/Eyrie

haulback
04-25-2008, 07:40 AM
a big '''''GREAT JOB''''''''to race commitee from Haulback for coming up with, and posting on race page, the PCR calculator and link to YRA site......

This part of the race has always seemed to be a bit of a mystery to me

Jim

Eyrie
04-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey Jim/Haulback,

Thanks! You beat me to the announcement about the new additions to the web site. My thanks go out to Rob/Tigerbeatle ("She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....") for getting the postings, well..., posted!

Please have a look. Pull up the calculator and enter your PHRF cert data (or your competitors) in the yellow boxes at the top, and BINGO, your PCR rating is crunched before your very eyes (aye aye said the pirate) and pops up in the yellow box at the bottom. It's computer magik.

Another major addition to the web site is the list of all the corrected Trans Pac race results since 1978. Special thanks to Peter/Aotea and to Stan/Illusion for gathering and collating. This will pop up in an excel spread sheet so you have the power to sort the data on corrected time, elapsed time, year, boat type. Golly, just hours of fun!!

Let's see, there is also a page showing the emergency rudder designs for most of the race entrants, soon to be completed as I get the remaining drawings and photos. And an inspection check list, thanks to Bill/Ergo for putting that together.

Also, please note on the entry list that we broke the 20 barrier and are currently at 21. With about 1 week to go before the entry deadline, there are still a handful of racers on the fence, so a good chance of getting this years race into the #2 spot for participation. #1 spot is 1980 with a starting count of 38!!! #2 is 2004 with 24, and #3 has a tie at 23 for 1978 & 2000. As I mentioned in a previous post, the deadline for mail-in entries is next Saturday, Tres de Mayo, but the deadline of hand-in entries (accompanied with a 'rita on the rocks no salt) is at the next seminar on Monday, Cinco de Mayo (arriba arriba) at the Spinnaker YC in San Leandro, CA. If you get your entry forms and fees in by this 10 week deadline, that will buy you 7 more weeks of boat prep time until the June 21st deadline for refund requests. That time extension will only cost you $200, but giving up now will cost you much much more.

Come on boyz and girlz, it's rally time!!

Synthia/Eyrie

sleddog
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Eyrie;
so a good chance of getting this years race into the #2 spot for participation. #1 spot is 1980 with a starting count of 38!!! #2 is 2004 with 24, and #3 has a tie at 23 for 1978 & 2000.
Synthia/Eyrie QUOTE]

Sorry to put a correction on the SHTP participation records. But the first SHTP in 1978 had 36 entrants. 30 of those crossed the starting line in two classes. Of the 30, six small boats and one big boat retired during the race, leaving 23 boats that ultimately reached Hanalei.

Two of the late "finishers," (although they never crossed the finish line in the proper direction) missed Kauai altogether and sailed west past the Island before realizing their mistake and turning back......

So my question to historians is: does SHTP "participation" count entrants, starters, or finishers?

~sleddog

Eyrie
04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Well sleddog, you were there so you should know, but why do the results only show 23 starters for the 1st edition of the solo TransPac. That’s a significant discrepancy!! Could there have been that many “unofficial” starters? Where there a pile of very late finishers that were not included? Please search through your notes and give us the low down on who's missing from the list.

That's the real beauty of making all this info public, the discrepancies can be ferreted out and corrected. Knowledge for all!!

Synthia/Eyrie

sleddog
04-25-2008, 11:33 PM
For Those Who Went Before. 1978 SHTP Fleet Entrants
1) Doug Akerson SVENSKA retired, first day fatigue
2) Skip Allan WILDFLOWER finished 14 days, 3 hours
3) Amy Boyer ROBERT QUINN 18 years old, disallowed to start at last minute.
4) Karl Burton MAGIC (Columbia 57) Injured, (broke ribs) finished under power
5) Bill Cannon FLYER retired first day, hit submerged object, broken windvane (Moore 24)
6) John Carson TAYLOR'S LANDING 15 days 11 hours
7) Robert Coleman SHIVOO finished under jib. age 63 (oldest entrant) 18 days 5 hours
8) Bill Collins ROBERT QUINN washed OB twice, broke arm, overstood finish 23 days 4 hr.
9) Phil Cushing ABLE SUGAR (Santana 22) 17 days, 15 hours "never again"
10) Darrell Davey UHURU 16 days, 16 hours
11) Richard Flint RUNNING CLOUD trimaran entered, but DNS
12) Jim Gannon GOLDEN EGG 13 days, 3 hours (Freya)
13) Thomas Garnier REINRAG entered/ DNS (A later REINRAG won 2007 Transpac)
14) James Grey FREYA entered/ DNS
16) Mike Harting CHALLENGE 16 days, 2 hours (aluminum hull)
16) Gene Haynes PRETZ I retired first day with deck leaks
17) Brian Heller RADICAL 21 yr. old student. tore left shoulder, retired first day
18) Don Keenan LANI KAI 17 days, 1 hour (rolled twice on return passage)
19) Thomas Lindholm DRIFTWOOD 17 days, 1 hour
20) Mike Lintner MY STAR (Westsail 32) 16 days, 4 hours
21) Mike Pyzel CABALLO BLANCO 16 days, 5 hours
22) Mel Richards GOSSIP 30 yr. old PCC restarted 3 times, sinking each time, no record of finish
23) Noel Rosen KIWI II entered, DNS
24) Kent Rupp NEREID 16 days, 12 hours
25) Alan Rutherford QUEST (Cal 40) 13 days, 5 hours
26) Norton Smith SOLITAIRE (SC-27) 13 days, 3 hours (Winner, first SHTP)
27) Bruce Stevens TRIESSENCE trimaran entered/DNS
28) Larry Stewart THALES Peterson schooner 15 days, 14 hours
29) Roger Townsend SI BON retired second day due to damage in gale.
30) Harold Upham JOSHUA H 16 days, 9 hours (two open heart operations)
31) Sam Vahey ODYSSEUS 16 days, 6 hours rebuilt broken vane with bunk parts
32) Jay Varner TATOOED LADY 15 days 8 hours
33) Hans Vielhauser MACH SNELL 15 days 16 hours lost electric AP, hand steered
34) David White INTENTION 14 days 16 hours
35) Robt Whitney GYPSY put in Monterey 4 repairs, restarted 1 week later, finished 23 d.
36) Robert Wohleb ESPIAL 15 days
* Jesse Diggs BELLE-DE-NUIT non-entrant. Boat found adrift 480 miles out. no one aboard. RIP
** G.A. LaFrance ALCYONE non-entrant. Boat found adrift 750 miles out. no one aboard. RIP
*** all elapsed times listed above rounded to nearest hour for editing.

Eyrie
04-26-2008, 10:16 AM
For Those Who Went Before. 1978 SHTP Fleet Entrants
1) Doug Akerson SVENSKA retired, first day fatigue
4) Karl Burton MAGIC (Columbia 57) Injured, (broke ribs) finished under power
5) Bill Cannon FLYER retired first day, hit submerged object, broken windvane (Moore 24)
8) Bill Collins ROBERT QUINN washed OB twice, broke arm, overstood finish 23 days 4 hr.
16) Gene Haynes PRETZ I retired first day with deck leaks
17) Brian Heller RADICAL 21 yr. old student. tore left shoulder, retired first day
18) Don Keenan LANI KAI 17 days, 1 hour (rolled twice on return passage)
22) Mel Richards GOSSIP 30 yr. old PCC restarted 3 times, sinking each time, no record of finish
29) Roger Townsend SI BON retired second day due to damage in gale.
31) Sam Vahey ODYSSEUS 16 days, 6 hours rebuilt broken vane with bunk parts
33) Hans Vielhauser MACH SNELL 15 days 16 hours lost electric AP, hand steered
35) Robt Whitney GYPSY put in Monterey 4 repairs, restarted 1 week later, finished 23 d.

* Jesse Diggs BELLE-DE-NUIT non-entrant. Boat found adrift 480 miles out. no one aboard. RIP
** G.A. LaFrance ALCYONE non-entrant. Boat found adrift 750 miles out. no one aboard. RIP

Gulp, sobering.

Heck, solo sail to Hawaii in the summer? Nothing to it..
Don't assume it's a cake walk!

Synthia/Eyrie

John Hayward
04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Bet the owners of the boats found adrift felt "harness, I don't need no stinking harness."

Wonder what there thoughts were when they watched their boats sailing away without them? Probably not a good feeling.

If you and your boat are prepared for the race then I believe getting separated from your boat presents the only real danger of dying. Harness/tether is a pain, but I never leave the cockpit without it and in bad weather, wear it in the cockpit too.

"Rolled twice on the return trip" That doesn't sound like fun either, but beats RIP after your entry.

John
Dream Chaser

AlanH
04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Wow...what Bill and John said. I didn't know there was so much carnage on the first one, and didn't know that two folks in the fleet, even if they weren't registered, didn't make it at all.

AlanH
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow...what Bill and John said. I didn't know there was so much carnage on the first one, and didn't know that two folks in the fleet, even if they weren't registered, didn't make it at all.

Eyrie
05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
As of the entry deadline, the 2008 fleet count is 24!

We got a few last minute entries at the seminar and one surprise lurker entry over-nighted to the PO Box. The web site should be updated shortly after the webbeetle gets back from his travels so stay tuned for a complete run down of the fleet. But in the mean time, a few stats:

returning vets: 14 (58%) vs. 1st timers: 10 (42%)
local boats: 16 (67%) vs. out of area: 8 (33%)
age range: 37 to 78, with average age: 53
PCR range: -58 to 286, with average PCR: 144
length range: 20' to 60', with average length: 34.8'

Synthia/Eyrie

AlanH
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
As of the entry deadline, the 2008 fleet count is 24!

We got a few last minute entries at the seminar and one surprise lurker entry over-nighted to the PO Box. The web site should be updated shortly after the webbeetle gets back from his travels so stay tuned for a complete run down of the fleet. But in the mean time, a few stats:

returning vets: 14 (58%) vs. 1st timers: 10 (42%)
local boats: 16 (67%) vs. out of area: 8 (33%)
age range: 37 to 78, with average age: 53
PCR range: -58 to 286, with average PCR: 144
length range: 20' to 60', with average length: 34.8'

Synthia/Eyrie

I am so TOTALLY average, here.:o

right about the average age
right about the average PCR
sheesh

sleddog
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
With only DOGBARK and HECLA meeting RRC 18.6 (shall not cross an ocean in a boat shorter in feet than skipper's age in years), I have it on good authority that the Starbucks Halfway Barge will be offering not only three hours free tieup, iced lattes, and jet skis, but also Ensure smoothies, hearing aid batteries, and freshly laundered drool bibs.

Given average age of skippers, I politely suggest division of fleet into classes: >60 Grand Methuselahs, 50-60 Rip Van Winkles, <50 Diaper Dandies

~sleddog

haulback
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Enough is enough!!!! I can't restrain myself any longer........I think it's about time everybody got their bio's up for the rest of us to have a look at

Nobody else likes writing them either...but how else are we to see the character flaws in our fellow competitors if you don't expose them to the fleet???

Jim/Haulback

AlanH
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
With only DOGBARK and HECLA meeting RRC 18.6 (shall not cross an ocean in a boat shorter in feet than skipper's age in years), I have it on good authority that the Starbucks Halfway Barge will be offering not only three hours free tieup, iced lattes, and jet skis, but also Ensure smoothies, hearing aid batteries, and freshly laundered drool bibs.

Given average age of skippers, I politely suggest division of fleet into classes: >60 Grand Methuselahs, 50-60 Rip Van Winkles, <50 Diaper Dandies

~sleddog

Can I wear a tartan diaper?

Eyrie
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I've gotten a couple of inquiries about the PCR numbers for the racers, and why are they different from years past. Here to answer all your questions is Professor Antrim.

Professor....

Every year we have one more year of race history and I try to review the historical data to see if the formulas can be improved for a better fit. The last time I made such a change was for the 2004 race. Prior to 2004, the 375 factor in the LF formula was 345. Wildflower had a PCR of 216 in 2002. Calculated with the new formula that goes to 211, based on the numbers on his certificate at that time. With the current certificate, I see that the waterline has gone from 21.5 to 22, perhaps just a roundoff somewhere along the line. Also PHRF has gone from 186 to 183. With those two changes, PCR goes to 208.

BTW, it is possible that I will review the data again this year and propose another change. I would not call that likely to happen. If it does, I'll let you know.

Hope that helps!
Jim

Effective Length: L= LWL+0.35*(LOA-LWL)

Displacement/Length Ratio: DLR= (Disp/2240)/((L/100)^3)

Displacement/Length Factor (DLF):

For DLR less than 75, DLF = 0

For DLR from 75 to 150, DLF= (DLR-75)/3

For DLR from 150 to 200, DLF= 25+(DLR -150)*0.10

For DLR greater than 200, DLF = 30;

DLF is rounded up to the next larger integer.

Length Factor (LF):

LF = 0.5 * (375 – (3600/(1.34 * sqrt(L))) + PHRF)

If LF<0 then LF = 0

LF is rounded up to the next greater integer.

Rating: PCR = 486 + (PHRF + DLF - LF) * 0.95

I have posted an excel PCR calculator on the TransPac web site. It preforms this math magikly before your very eyes.

Synthia/Eyrie

blighbaum
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I recall that, somewhere in Moby Dick, "old" Captain Ahab says that he's 58. We are almost old enough (on average) to hunt the White Whale!

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral